Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What many people fail to see often is that comedians due to their role have the abject need to be current, in touch with the pulse of what's going on in culture politics, people's lives. They are often the smartest folks in the room. Without it they wouldn't be able to be funny. You need to understand people.

You could argue he's better than any of your generic career politicians who haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lol just read this after I replied. Similar minds wha. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Hopefully Russia gets kicked out of the UN for their war crimes. The pictures seem to be getting worse by the day.

Warning: Graphic content.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPgATLfWYAcC1fX?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've found comedians to be a mixed bag when it comes to political and cultural insight. The ones who go on Question Time on the BBC can go either way. Eddie Izzard was particularly tone deaf that time he went on Question Time to discuss Brexit.

But Zelenskyy, on the other hand, has been outstanding in this crisis. When it comes down to it, war must be a great focuser of the mind, and Zelenskyy's has been like a laser. Now, I understand that his approval ratings were not that high before the war, and maybe they wouldn't be again whenever this thing ends because the country moves on to post-war concerns and deems him unfit to address them (similar to the way Churchill was a great figure during WW2, but voted out immediately after), but the waging of war is all about the here and now, and I think history will view him quite favourably if he stays the course he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Jesus thats not even the worst of the photos in that thread. holy crap, do NOT click that link if you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

The horrific thing is that certain people seem to be becoming inured to the absolute depravity of the Russian war-crimes.

People have moved on to the next news story, like Will Smith or Harry and Meghan. People have the attention span of a gnat.

We need to constantly remind people until the systematic persecution of the Ukrainian people is halted

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Eddie Izzard is a British comedian, that should be sufficient explanation for his pious hectoring of plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I deliberately didn't show the photo in the clear as it is too shocking for many people. Don't view it if you have any children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I was really disgusted when I saw the poster on this thread and the commentators on the DailyFail berating Zelensky’s appearance at the Grammy Award Show. As if this is some kind of wonderful opportunity for him to schmooze the zelebs.

We need to do everything we can to inform the world of Russia’s heinous war-crimes. It is convenient for the Russian apologists to not click on the link that you provide, @10000maniacs They don’t want anything that makes them confront their world-view

What does the poster who criticised Zelensky think of the pics of the dead children?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

5th round of sanctions. Pathetic. How come all these sanctions were not already in place from the start of the invasion. Totally pathetic carry on. How many fuckin rounds is there going to be. Rape, genocide, torture and children slaughtered. And we're only on round 5.hate to think what needs to happen for round 6.

Cold and hungry isn’t the likely outcome of a nuclear exchange unless you’re maybe in New Zealand and then only if it’s not on the target list.

It’s an outcome where most of Europe ends up dead. Some instantly. Others due to fallout. The likelihood of Ireland surviving a nuclear exchange, despite being “neutral” is slim to none. We’ve a NATO nuclear power next door and two cities on this island are part of that. Belfast was on the cold war Soviet target list. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that every EU capital might be hit. Other infrastructure here could well be too.

If that didn’t do it, the fallout would as we are too close and in the northern hemisphere.

There isn’t a “little bit nuked” as an option in this. You’re talking probably at minimum a billion people dead and maybe 3 - 5 billion, including everyone in Russia, North America and the EU. They could well target Australia and NZ for all we know too.

The situation in Ukraine is abominable, outrageous and absolutely awful but Russia hides behind a constant threat of nuclear Armageddon. It has up to 6,257 warheads and platforms that can deliver them to anywhere on the planet and the response is similarly huge. That’s the insane reality of it.

It’s basically a rogue state that inherited the former Soviet nuclear arsenal.

World leaders have rather narrow and very grimly imperfect set of choices as a result.

My view of it that Russia has now opted out of the civilised world and more specifically out of friendly relations with modern, postwar Europe. There’s really no context where business as usual or normality can be restored with this level of threat. It’s not not feasible. They’ve created a scenario where they have destroyed any trust and burned all the bridges that had been built.

Russia isn’t some minor state. This isn’t the outcome of some nasty civil war. It’s a massive, nuclear armed military super power deciding to invade a neighbour with overwhelming force and without any threat, rationale or anything else. It did this because it could. That’s the reality of it.

There’s been an understanding in post war Europe that this kind of scenario was never to be repeated again. That’s why have the Council of Europe, charters of fundamental rights, it’s why the EU and other European institutions evolved. They were a peace project at their core, but here we are. Decades later, a major military power rolling tanks into its neighbour’s territory and killing, torturing and destroying.

I think we are moving into a long, grim, new Cold War. The response to this is going to be decades of containment.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Probably some form of a ban on gas and oil, but not for a good bit but they should come with SWIFT bans on the final two big Russian banks as well. Ratcheting up sanctions was thought up by rational minds for an irrational adversary.

Its a massive **** stretch when the topic is Russia invading Europe and you know it full well, but I suppose you have to paint in very broad strokes to cover up Mother Merkels misdeeds at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Your not wrong about the dysfunction that is the broken US political system. Still doesn't change the fact that this should have been done already IMHO. As for planes not buying it. The Americans and NATO have been sending in weaponry from day 1. So suddenly planes are something different that will change the Russians behaviour to escalate things? Not buying that argument. Also as for the planes some of the eastern NATO countries have Mig's that the Ukrainians can use. Getting back to planes been given to Ukraine as opposed to all the other weaponry being something that causes Russia to escalate things. From what I can see other then using nukes not sure what else the Russians can do to escalate now they have added in mass murder on top of all the other disgusting things they have done since they invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I guess getting agreement between a large number of countries is the issue - if it was just one country imposing sanctions, it would be much easier to do.

Oil and gas is the big player here, doesn't matter what atrocities are committed oil and gas will not be compromised fully I'm thinking. And with Russia's nuclear threat and a maniac in control I think they can do what they want without any real retaliation. Sad but true.

After llooking at the atrocities committed and no real affect of other sanctions it's like having as much affect as pissing on a forest fire. Sad truth is our hands are tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only Poland are mad keen to give them Migs. I believe there are three countries with them and the others are not interested. Fear of consequences real or imaginary one might surmise or perhaps just a united front on nixing the idea. As for the Russians I think he now just wants to get those eastern enclaves, the land corridor in the south if he can and then call it a win. Even so it's anyone's guess what he might try to do if there seemed to be direct NATO intervention with aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It was a catastrophic mistake which has given Russia and China the ability to say "it is no different to what the west do". That is how it is connected. I am certainly no fan of Merkel, the best I could say about her would be that she is extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Vachement

The situation in Ukraine is abominable, outrageous and absolutely awful but Russia hides behind a constant threat of nuclear Armageddon. It has up to 6,257 warheads and platforms that can deliver them to anywhere on the planet and the response is similarly huge. That’s the insane reality of it.

The thing is that because all out nuclear war is worse than pretty much any other immediate disaster we can think of, excepting possibly the strike of a massive asteroid, the threat of it could give Putin license to do anything he wants. If he heavily intimates that he really is crazy enough to pull the trigger, the sky could be the limit. What's to stop him issuing an ultimatum saying that if he is not declared unquestioned ruler of the world in two weeks or less, he will launch every single warhead he has? If nothing is as bad as nuclear weapons ending civilization and rendering the world uninhabitable, then why couldn't he? Would we rather live in a world where Putin was world king, or one where the sun never shone and it was impossible to grow food? There cannot be a red line with Russia if Russia is crazy enough to launch nukes. MAD requires rational actors on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually I would bet a fair few of the ones thinking he is speaking the truth would probably disagree and warn you about falling off the edge of the world. 🙄

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

You would wonder if the worst came to the worst and Russia launched a nuke would there be a situation where an ultimatum was given to the Russian people before a western response. Such as no further escalation if the Russian people overthrow the regime and prevent any further launches. Or would it just be bedlam and no time for any appeals to common good at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

40 year old Migs with no real functioning infrastructure network for them is a complete waste of time. The things would be on the ground more getting fixed than flying.

Drones, Drones and Drones.

Sophisticated Tech that a child could use.

That’s the insanity of it. You are potentially playing Russian roulette (seems the name is apt) with a madman.

In a scenario like that choices would be very limited and bluffs would have to be called.

The problem for NATO, the EU and others is managing a way out of this and minimising casualties and I suspect that we are headed towards an even weirder version of the Cold War.

They are clearly hoping beyond hope that the rational actors within the Russian system call a halt to this before it ends up in a situation that can’t be walked back from.

With this level of threat being aimed towards neighbours, Russia doesn’t have much of a future other than isolation, growing poverty and decline. Hopefully, there are enough decent and sane people within their power structures to put an end to this and begin to take steps to walk back from it and return to some kind of sanity.

There are almost 150 million people in Russia, and a large number of people throughout its governmental, political and military structures and they simply favour cannot all be in absolute agreement with this madness, despite the propaganda. It does nothing other than lead towards scenarios where the outcome is bad, extremely bad or world ending.

Pariah state, or smouldering nuclear wasteland, along with having had a legacy of destroying civilisation and still having pariah state on an epitaph that there won’t necessarily even be anyone to read.

We need to be very urgently appealing to every aspect of the decent side of Russia to end this and turn the country around. It’s already very late, and there will be long term consequences for this, but it’s never too late. There are other and better paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,194 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's come to the stage the EU have to stop buying gas and oil from Russia. We're fueling this genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You be sick of NATO and EU talking nonsense on the sidelines and letting Russia do what they want in Ukraine. Nothing will be done by them with Russias war crimes. They are corrupt as fcuk. Ar$eholes. More sanctions for Russia oh yeah that's really going to stop Putin and Russia without cutting off buying oil from Russia. They are failing to hit Russia where it hurts. I repeat Ar$eholes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement