Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster v Leinster

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If Coombes had been cleared from a straight ahead position (if Toner had gone through the gate) he was still going to hurt his ankle when it was trapped like that under one of his own teammates.

I don't see how you can possibly state this as an absolute, tbh.

The real question should be as to why the Munster medical team didn't take him off the field immediately; but left him out there.

Equally, I don't think we've any reason to question the Munster medical team; they'll have way more info on the situation than you.

Leavy was the first person that came to mind when I read some on here claiming the clearout was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Are his legs above the horizontal because Lowe has lifted them above the horizontal or because he has been driven over the ruck? Looking at that pic it seems that Lowes arms are higher up on Murray’s body but it is hard to tell.

EDIT: It’s worth noting that Murray, nor any other Munster player, were calling for it. The TMO didn’t call for it. Apparently the citing commissioner tagged it and there’s no talk of a citing. No pundits have called it out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im not linking them per say, and happy to say that injuries happen and will always happen.

But at the same time the custodians of the game need to acknowledge that a top class player has retired today before his time and his injury came at a ruck where there was a side entry clear out, so the least thats needed is a reminder for refs to be more cognisant of the entry to the breakdown.

Its fair to say that if every entry to every ruck was legal then injuries would still happen, but its also the case that entering from side increases the risk of injury.

This video at 4:51 watch #5 and right in front of the ref

https://youtu.be/nDgc1iG5PCw

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leinster were very worthy winners - if anything the scoreboard was kind to Munster.

I want to know what happened to James Lowe's hair when he scored his 2nd try however.

The video I originally linked has been taken down, but if you see it again it's fairly clear it's the former, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The clearout that (eventually) ended Leavy's career wasn't particularly dangerous either though. It was a freak accident.

Yeah I don’t think I even remember who cleared him out and don’t remember any complaints about the clear out at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think Munster should instigate the odd handbags every now and then where lines may have been crossed.

• Advertisement

Just seen your Edit there molloy:

EDIT: It’s worth noting that Murray, nor any other Munster player, were calling for it. The TMO didn’t call for it. Apparently the citing commissioner tagged it and there’s no talk of a citing. No pundits have called it out either.

That's not true tho. POM immediately looks to the ref for it. Murray, when getting up after treatment asks the ref to refer it to the TMO. You can hear the ref say "we'll always be looking".

With regards the citing commissioner, only red cards incidents can be cited. But it should've been looked at, imo. It could've been a yellow (and maybe a red, depending on how Murray lands).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There were plenty of complaints but zero replay angles. The best we had at the time was filmed by a spectator if I recall. Would have been a bigger deal if there were proper replays of it

Cian Tracy had some pretty interesting things to say on OTB, he "knows for a fact" that younger players are disappointed/frustrated with the opportunities they are (not) getting given some of the ordinary players ahead of them.

Van Graan is like Munster's MOC, except for some godforsaken reason Munster tried to get him to stay on instead of giving him the boot.

Fair enough. My recollection is always less than perfect!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A player can be cited if it reaches the level of a Citing Commissioner Warning - which is essentially a yellow card.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

interesting to see POM say he had no issue with the clearout on Coombes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In European terms Thomond is still a bit of a fortress though. I don’t think many teams in Europe would fancy going there in a knock out game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Toners clear out was illegal. He came in at an angle. It was a penalty for Munster, imo. I doubt Toner was purposely trying to hurt Coombes.

After rewatching the match, there was lots of side entries! By both teams. I thought the ref was good, but the rucks were a free for all.

All the talk of Munster needing to be vicious and violent are extremely stupid. Munster need to improve the tight 5 skills. That's the difference, imo. Munster's tight 5 were lacking skill and are not very good at link play. This is an area where Beirne excels. He was sorely missed.

The likes of Scannell and Wycherly are not skilled players. They play like Munster of old. I watched the difference between Treacy and Scannell and it's like night and day. Treacy can hoof it up just like Scannell but, he can add running lines and can link up with the play.

The difference in skill level is absurd. Munster go 3 phases and they pause and lack direction. Leinster can go 3 phases, reset and continue building using the front row.

I do hope Coombes makes a speedy recovery. I'm glad it wasn't his knee that was injured.

Im not sure how this is anymore relevant to Munster than it is any other province, it just seems like Tracy having a dig for the sake of it.

How many young players are leaving Leinster this season? Surely this cant be down to their satisfaction at the opportunities they are getting?

It must be more frustrating for the young Munster players though, knowing JvG is out. It's less applicable if Rowntree is the replacement, but if it's an outsider, it must be frustrating to young players who haven't gotten huge playing time opportunities under JvG not to have much opportunity to prove themselves, especially those who don't have long left on their contracts.

How many young players are leaving Leinster this season? Surely this cant be down to their satisfaction at the opportunities they are getting?

One (Hawkshaw). And his path is blocked by other young guys.

• Advertisement

Dunne as well I guess, which is a bit disappointing

Ultimately there is a difference between breaking through into a successful team and an unsuccessful one though.

What young players are not getting opportunity? Presumably tracy didnt name anyone, because that would put the player in a bad place, and by not naming anyone he is just creating a headline with no substance

So who is he talking about?

Campbell who did well at 15 in wasps was tied up with the U20 and haley, gallagher have been getting game time

Coombes (the back) has gotten plenty of minutes and a few starts.

Salonoa has been injured.

Tom Ahern has been injured.

Klendennen has played a good bit

Flannery and Crowley have played a lot.

Knox has come on and never set the world on fire.

Scott Buckely, Ethan Coughlan and Jack Crowley have been involved in squads.

The only player i can think of that was in wasps is Okeke and you have a lot of back row options ahead of him like Hodnett, JOD, cloete has only had 2 starts this season, POM, Coombes etc etc.

Am i missing anyone?

So tbh i think two things here, every young player should be disappointed with the lack of game time they are getting, because their ambition should be set very high and this is a hack having a cut at the club in a way that cant or wont be substantiated.

Yeah but Dunne is behind younger guys in Baird and McCarthy, and the 27-year old Ross Molony.

And that difference is that by playing in a more succesfull team you get more opportunity because more players are away during international windows.

Are we really gonna go over the "Munster don't back youth" argument again? It's been debunked on her countless times.

• The average age of the Munster 23 this season is 26.59. The average age of the Leinster 23 is 27.09.
    • The average age of the Munster starting 15 is 27.44. For Leinster it's 26.99.

Even if you take out the Wasps anomaly game, the avg age of the 15 is still 27.46 and 23 is 26.67.

I'll check the other provinces when I get a chance, but I don't think Munster will look anywhere near as bad as is often made out on here.

There's loads of Munster young lads who've gotten plenty of gametime this season. And I'd be happy to wager it's been trending that way since last season also. This season even moreso.

Its one important difference yes, and one Leinster are struggling with this season with the fewer international window games.

But also people will just complain less.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah, i dont think thats what the argument was though... it was younger players not getting game time ahead of under performing older players. Im not saying i fully agree with that argument, but there is enough in it to make it a discussion.

for example Kendellan has 4 starts this season, Cloete has 7. Kendellen gets 35 minutes on average per game, Cloete gets 54.

Cloetes off to bath, been known since early February he was on his way out, with JVG recruiting him. Could that be a sore point for Kendellan? it certainly would be for me if I was in that situation. To my eye Kedlellan has been a lot more impactful in his time on the pitch for munster than cloete.

Diarmuid Barron is another, with 7 starts this season. Scannell has 11 starts. Have his performances been deserving of that much backing ahead of barron? The munster front row is a constant area of comment on its weakness this season. Has barron had enough chances?

i think those discussion, plus the obvious casey / murray debate, should be something munster fans should be talking about.

Kendellan hasn’t played enough?

for the second time, that is NOT the argument thats being made

Kendellen is primarily an 8 tho? So not in direct competition with Cloete. There's also Hodnett, who is a 7, and he has more minutes than Cloete this season for example. (As an aside, however poor Cloete was against Leinster, I think he's generally having a good season).

I agree with regards giving the preference to guys who are staying tho; I've said as much about Gallagher as well.

With regards Barron, he essentially has moved up a spot already this season. He's taken O'Byrne's place. And while Barron has looked better than Scannell in the loose, there's been some repeated issues around lineout and scrum when he's been on. They're the nuts and bolts of a hookers job, and whatever else you can say about Scannell, he's solid in those areas.

Young players with high aspirations, who are frustrated and looking for more gametime doesn't strike me as anything especially limited to Munster.

• Advertisement

I gave Kendellens minutes / starts this season in direct comparison with cloetes and just asked the question if Cloete has done enough this season to warrant that extra minutes / starts over Kendellan. Thats what the argument is. its not "has kendellan got enough game time"?

it could be directly attributed to last weekend and the question asked, should kendellan have started ahead of cloete? After the game i think the answer is a resounding yes, he should have.

Cloetes off to bath, that should be a factor in team selection going forward, it just happens though that the selector is off to bath too.

The point couldnt possibly be about any of those players listed as they are all betting gametime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Upon rewatch, Carbery had a worse game than I'd originally thought. He's not a good 10. Munster just don't look particularly threatening in attack when he's there. They were marginally better in attack with him as an extra passing option at 15, but his defence was dreadful. Also, he still takes too much out of the ball. When he receives the ball he shapes up like he's about to make a run with it, rather than a pass. It wastes a second in attack and allows the defence to regroup.

He also made two awful attempts at tackling in the backfield. One on JOB was particularly bad. It was a one on one where JOB made a sidestep. Carbery didn't commit to make a hit nor did he try to follow the side step. He just fell forward and flapped at the carrier who easily breezed past him.

I don't know what to say about Carbery anymore. Just seems like the chance to become a top level player has passed him by. He doesn't do anything particularly well and has too many glaring frailties.

Post edited by Clegg on

As noted above, Jack Dunne (23) is moving on and Leinster's contracted locks for next season are Ryan (25), Baird (22), McCarthy (21), Jenkins (25) and Molony (27).

Dunne is being let go because he's not rated (or some other unknown reason), not because his path is blocked by mediocre auld lads.

Dunno if I can remember the last time he made a line break from 10 tbh, he doesn't seem to challenge the line and is easy to defend against. I can't remember which pundit said it but Leinster just didn't need to worry about him when he had the ball. I don't think he's a very good 10 now personally and would have pretty serious concerns about him being the anointed next in line for Ireland. You'll never convince me the move to Munster hasn't been a disaster for his development. He's not a better 10 now than he was when he was 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Munster have given game time to young players this season, there's no doubt about that. But when those guys go well, JVG always reverts to the same older guys who have never delivered in the big games.

I've watched all of Munster's games in Europe this season and Casey always makes Munster better when he comes on, and he did on Saturday. But JVG is 100% going to start Murray v Exeter.

Healy has been Munster's best 10 this season, and set up a try straight away v Leinster, but Carbery, who's done nothing in over 3 years will start again on Saturday.

Kendellan was brilliant on Saturday, Munster's best player. Will he be rewarded with a start? I'd imagine it'll be a POM/Cloete/JOD back row.

Knox came on v Benneton a couple of weeks ago and was excellent. Demolished a couple of scrums and carried really well. But JVG always goes with Archer and Ryan for the big games, which just isn't good enough to compete at the highest level.

Ahern will probably drop out of the 23 now that Kleyn is back.

Why have Patrick Campbell and Okeke not been seen since December?

To be fair to Carbery, his goal kicking is exceptional but it’s comfortably the best part of his game.

His defence is definitely an issue tho. Our midfield compressed to cover him a number of times, but our linespeed wasn’t quick enough and Leinster then just cut us up beyond the edge, leaving a winger defending 20, 30, 40m of the width of the pitch.

Potentially semantics, but I suspect he is leaving rather than being let go.

So who in munster is being blocked by mediocre auld lads?

• Advertisement

campbell was an integral part of the U20’s and okoke is behind a long list of players in the BR. Who do you leave out to give him gametime?

This talk of casey is giving no consideration to aspects of has game where he is nowhere near murray. Defense and kicking. He brings tempo and workrate that murray is unable to sustain but people are completely ignoring what he is lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Maybe Casey was seen as better use coming off bench and that was seen as a tactic? Not that Murray is seen as better.

Healy has played a lot this season. Started lot more recently. Not really an issue.

Campbell was playing Irish 20s for 2 months.

I agree about the tighthead props. The rest isnt so true. Okeke had a few injuries since december. No? Definitely missed good few weeks with an injury or two.

it could be directly attributed to last weekend and the question asked, should kendellan have started ahead of cloete? After the game i think the answer is a resounding yes, he should have.

There's an issue with that logic tho, which I've highlighted; it's monday-morning-quarterback-ing. On balance, I think Cloete is having the stonger season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you go a few frames forward from this, you'll see as Lowe gets up, he puts his elbow/forearm on Murrays throat as he's lying on the ground

At least thats how it looked to me.

I'm not saying he should be banned for life, I'm saying Leinster came to play a brutal physical game, and Munster came to follow the rules and play 'tough but fair'

Its no different from when Ireland play the All blacks, The All blacks think they're better than everyone else and they play on the very edge, and often beyond the laws and they typically get away with it because when you're winning and look like you're dominant, the referees often reward that (not always, some referees are happy to blow for everything, but that tends to ruin the spectacle)

Ireland only looked like beating NZ when we stopped taking beatings and hit them back as hard as they hit us

some of us here who are neutral watchers when Munster play would say that Kendellan is a much more impactful player across the pitch, this season, than cloete, and the point is he should have started ahead of cloete last weekend. The commentary after the game just confirmed that. it wasnt an unknown before the game.

i can guarantee you that this weekend, kendellan starting from 8 will have more impact on the game that POM will from 6 (getting that in now just in case im accused of monday morning quarter backing on, erh, monday morning ;) )

As others have mentioned, Campbell was with the 20's and Okeke had an injury, as far as I'm aware (tho not sure for how long). But like lawrence alluded to, who do you leave out?

It's not that long ago Munster fielded a team where Calvin Nash, Liam Coombes, Shane Daly, Jake Flannery, Diarmuid Barron, Fineen Wycherley, John Hodnett and Jack O’Sullivan started. Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson and Jack Crowley were on the bench.

The starting 15's average age was 25.2. The 23's average age was 23.5.

And what was the thing you thought worth commenting on that squad? You were bemoaning Healy not getting an extended run. Like I said at the time:

Rather than commenting on at a squad full of positives, you're looking for the negative angle to criticise Munster.

• Advertisement

I'm on here pretty regularly syd, and I can't say I've seen this swell of opinion favouring Kendellan prior to the game on Saturday, particularly given how quiet this place has been for regular URC games. Could you point me to a few examples?

I can only really speak for myself, and if there's a suggestion there I'm not neutral when Munster play, I'm not exactly sure why I'd be biased in favour of Cloete over Kendellen?

Equally, you can't guarantee anything, really. You can suggest you think, on balance, Kendellen will have more impact. But equally POM could have a game like he did against Wasps, for example. The first 3-4 months of the season he was excellent. I'm sure a neutral watcher like yourself will be aware of that. ;)

And equally, "who are the auld lads doing the blocking" is worth asking.

Cloete has been mentioned with regards Kendellen, but Hodnett is the 7 competing with him and has more minutes than him, and Kendellen is an 8.

N. Scannell has been mentioned but with Barron we've seen lineout and scrum issues with him, the nuts and bolts of a hookers job.

Pa Campbell has been touted to start, but Haley continues to be one of our best players.

I obviously don't agree with every selection, but I'm not seeing these wholesale issues that seem to be alluded to.

Me neither, and prior to the leinster game klendenan had not played like that before, he certainly increased his contribution against leisnter and there were no calls for him to start beforehand. I had mentioned to someone in the real world that losing cloete for next season was not such a blow because of the likes hodnett and him.

I think this is just a journo whipping up sh1t with no substance or fact

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Kendellan is a 7, sure he can play 8 but given his skillset and size he is ideal position is at 7.

Same goes for Hodnett.

Munster seem to see him as an 8. He’s spent far more time there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement