Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

That Cork performance gives me the feintest glimmer of hope that if we could beat Clare then we would have a shootout against Cork on the final day to qualify.

Get in their faces and properly put it up to them and they crumble like a house of cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Our two home games are winnable, win those and we should be through.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Maybe our summer won’t be so short after all, Cork looks diabolical. Their hurling was pure sh###e watch . Looks like they style themselves on league of Ireland soccer . All passing with no action

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I still have us as the worst team in Munster but if we could get the win against Clare I'd fancy us against Cork with everything on the line on the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd have to wait and see how Tipp is hurling before I'd make a judgement on will they get out of Munster. There's a lot of focus on the Waterford game but Clare's first game is Tipp in Thurles - their sole focus and they're in the long grass a while - and that will be a very important game for Tipp as the first home game. It will be tough.

• Advertisement

Minor team going down to Waterford on Tuesday. Lord have mercy on their souls.

The under 20s have been taken some beatings in recent challenge games against Wexford and Galway. Any sign of the championship panel anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Paddico

A good run out for the footballers on Saturday.

Very impressed with your man Doyle from Ballina, havent heard of him before

Up the steps says Derek:

"Contenders? We are the team to beat now. Simple as," he said.

"I texted a few of the boys on Saturday. I've had little or no contact with them over the years because you try to give fellas space.

"But every text that came back was 'Step One complete’. That was their thought process. It’s very exciting.

"Psychologically, it’s a fillip to get a trophy in the cabinet and have it almost out of the way.

"If you look at Conor Prunty’ speech, and (Kerry football captain) David Clifford’s speech, both were caveated by – there’s a next step, a bigger step here.

"Someone said to me yesterday that Tipp are waiting in the long grass (in the Munster first round on 17 April). They can all wait in the long grass. Whoever beats Waterford will be going up the steps."

• Advertisement

Over on the Waterford thread , Limerick are finished, Tipp don’t feature . League title gone to there heads . We still have some of the best forwards in Munster, we showed great aggression in the tackle in many games. Just need to get the ball in quickly into the Waterford square. Looking forward to Sunday week

Just got all my munster tickets there, looking forward to big games with big crowds. And you can't beat that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

I believe Clare is the big game, win that and our fate is in our own hands. Be interesting to see will having a game the week before be to our benefit against Clare coming in cold?

Interestingly Cork playing poor had they taken their chances in the first half could have made a right game of Saturday evening. It was a strange game, Cork with several forwards not playing well, and with a couple of defenders missing in action had several chances of tightening the game up considerably. I feel looking at them they're not hurling expressively, like their playing a game they're unfamiliar with. Against Kilkenny when they got their act together mid way through the second half, they seemed to get completely lost for a few minutes, until Darragh Fitzgibbon grabbed the game by the neck and pulled them home.

Several times against Waterford they'd have good spells and peter out as quickly again.

Interesting quote from PM O Sullivan in the examiner today "Remember that Limerick brushed off Waterford by eight points in 2019’s NHL Final, 1-24 to 0-19. Only Tom Condon is gone from the former’s ranks. Only four of 2019’s men featured in the latter’s current selection"

Re cork , it’s hard to play well when you have half backs receiving hand passes and without even looking up field gives another short hand pass back to the corner back who then passes back to the goal keeper who passes it out to the other corner back who is then happy to repeat the same again . Horgan must wonder what the hell is going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭skaface

That's just Derek Mc Grath spouting ****.. No genuine hurling person in Waterford is looking beyond Sunday week against Tip.. Of course there is hype after winning the league, but im sure the players aren't getting carried away, Lian Cahill won't allow that..

Cahill is definitely looking beyond Tipp, towards Limerick. He doesn't rate Tipp at all, has made that clear in interviews over the years, from the county board to the players. Doesn't respect where he was educated in hurling and given his career, that's a fact. It's all out there to be read and heard in interviews. So, don't be putting words in Cahill's mouth. We're well aware of what Cahill thinks and does - you forget he was a Tipp hurler, managed Tipp teams, comes from Tipp and his social circle is in Tipp. We know Liam Cahill. He was involved with Tipp hurling for nearly 30 years. Liam seems to think he is above Tipp hurling, though. Seems well able to give an opinion on where Tipp is and what Tipp needs to do. Doesn't seem to think he is a product of Tipp hurling.

"“It’s going to take a little bit of organising and a little bit of soul-searching to be done at every level; from players to maybe the powers-that-be that have to look at maybe rejuvenating Tipperary hurling. From the sidelines looking in, it’s been quite difficult at minor and U20 this year.”

I think Tipp do okay tbh. And I think everyone involved that gives their time and effort for Tipp GAA do their best, and they haven't done too badly over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭skaface

Still not over the fact he stayed with Waterford me thinks.. He had his reasons, which everyone in Tipperary knows

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Montys return

Maybe include the full quote before suggesting people are putting words in others mouths.

"I’ve been really fortunate in Tipperary. Everything I have been about all my life has evolved around hurling; and club hurling and Tipperary hurling in particular. I love going to Tipperary matches and Tipp club matches.

“I know they wouldn’t want pity, because that’s not the type of players they are but I do feel sorry that Tipp had to exit the championship on the back of a team that I was over. I have no problems in saying that, and I think the Waterford people will understand that as well."

...But we’ve done that before in Tipp, it’s not something that we are not unaccustomed to and I think when they put the right supports around what has to happen, Tipp will be back bigger and stronger than ever and we don’t usually go away in Tipp for too long.

“I’m not saying for a second they’ve gone away, but definitely there’s a lot of tough decisions to be made.”

Jesus, I didn't want to fan the flames of how bad it really is. Feeling sorry for Tipp! A lot of tough decisions to be made! Unreal.

Think you've completely misread it to be honest. Didn't say he felt sorry for Tipp but rather he found it tough to be over a team that knocked Tipp out being a Tipp man himself. You could be a cousin of Davy Fitz with the sort of siege mentality you're trying to develop here.

If he'd taken the Tipp job, which he very nearly did, you wouldn't be saying any of this about that interview he did and to be honest a the time that interview read like an expression of interest in the Tipp job to me. I don't think an opposition manager has ever spoken so fondly about their opponents regardless of their allegiances before.

• Advertisement

He says the words 'I do feel sorry for Tipp' but you say he didn't say that and that I've misread it! What!!!! Some people see and read what they want to see and read.

Plenty of managers give plaudits to other teams without talking about feeling sorry for them and that tough decisions need to be made at all levels.

He said he felt sorry THAT Tipp were beaten by a team he managed, not that he felt sorry FOR Tipp. It's a very different thing and you've actually misquoted again.

No managers I can remember have spoken about how difficult it was for them after winning a match to be honest.

Anyway I'll leave it be since we obviously won't agree.

The meaning gymnastics are over. Happy days.

Tipp Minor Hurlers got a win down in Waterford. Turned in a good second half after a poor start.

Waterford 0-23 Tipp 1-22

They play Clare next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Is Kerry v Tipp being streamed tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

• Advertisement

Advertisement