Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

If shes not been injected etc,surely the factory is reasonable option for her?

Cull ewes are a great trade now....

what your suggesting should work ,but would depend on ewe imo,(maybe issue with beasting?)

we did put lambs under a sheep after 3 days after losing lambs to smallenberg,without even milking her(she was full term and big doug milk though) and she took to em......but then others dont even want their lambs at times

Had the first (in a long time) pallet of ewe with lamb crunch delivered here this morning, left it too late to get good hay. €770 for the 70 bags delivered. Merchant said it went up €30 Paddys week some time, expects it to go up another +€30 early April, and +€40 end of April. Told him the one pallet would do me 😂 Last time I bought one it was €525.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We filled the bin at 310 euro /ton for a high quality 19% nut blown in last November.

Ran out last week and don't need enough to justify another bulk delivery, got a few small bags in the local co-op working out at 455/ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Like the lamb price increase, the grain price increase is long overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I have a few ewes ready to lamb in the next 2 weeks. On sparse ground at the moment with haylage and daily feed of nuts and soaked beet pulp. Should i wait until they lamb to move them across to good grass or let them into it now?

• Advertisement

** Duplication** Mods please delete

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The only reservation I'd have is putting the single carrying ewes on good grass and the risk of them putting it in the lambs.

Doubles and triplets should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

When they lamb they'll have dirty back ends from the fresh grass which will lead to dirty udders and possible watery mouth, joint ill problems. I'd leave it until after they've lambed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi all, I am finishing Hoggets at the minute and watching the price creep up, when would I need to have them gone by, from what I can see the big prices are there until after Ramadan has finished so let’s say second week of May….the Easter passing didn’t effect the Hogget trade last year….is there anyone else finishing them and plan to have them gone by a certain date ?

Whenever they are fit get them gone. No point putting weight on if you wont get paid for it

• Advertisement

+1

Watching a couple of marts during the week and 52 to 55 kgs seem to be the best selling weight.

Certainly not paying at present meal prices to carry much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Thanks for replies, ya so my plan is to go to the mart with them, because I’m selling in batches I won’t get caught with one or two going over weight as I would in the factory but I get your point of, no point feeding them heavier…..my isssue is I have a good lot in the 46 to 50 kg bracket now and would like to push them closer to or over the 50kg but don’t want to miss the boat price wise !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have a3 ewe that lambed a bout 4 weeks ago, last weekend i came across her in the morning and she was down flat, legs jerkin, head shaking. I gave her calcium and magnesium straight away, checked her for mastitis, clear, gave her something in case it was pneumonia.

Got an anti inflammatory of the vet, keto vit, she is still down, I'm bottling in a litre of milk to her a day, include beef fat for high energy.

Head would be arched back.

She is less jittery now but no sign or ability to stand Im presuming she won't come right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Plan to send a batch next week and then whatever is left will go the end of the month I’d say…

I know the price has held into May the last 2 year I think - but I’d be nervous sending holding them til Mid May…

If they are 46kg now and you are giving them ration - you should be good for 50kg for start May I would have thought…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Unfortunately After that length of time it’s unlikely. It would take an absolute miracle of divine intervention id say

For anyone not following. The sheep game.. on YouTube ' he has put up a great video about a sheep farm on the Orkney island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Yeah, it’s a very good video…

The outside silage feeding space was very good I thought…

For the inside silage pit - it looked like they had a door in the shed at the back of the pit. How would they have sealed around that I wonder? Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Just in from the lambing shed .. to discover one ewe had sat on one of her lambs and killed it .. has to be one of the worse deaths involved with sheep ! Fuming 😡 isn’t the word !

Shaun is doing this farming life this year.. They are very well setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is this farming life back on television, haven't been able to find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If selling a ewe with 3week old lambs at foot at the mart..do the lambs need to be tagged?

Lamb with suspected pneumonia. Week old . Gave him synulox anything else lads fine good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Tileman

Had the same thing this morning. Lamb was still warm and just gone when I found the ewe sitting on it. Had being a small lambs d had spend a few days getting it going. Was flying it and then that. Fecking sicken you.

What's the availability of scabivax been like this year? Not started lambing yet but it's something I'd like to use this year.

Well folks quick one for ya . Is it okay to send a ewe to the factory that has a dead lamb in her ? She hasn’t been injected with anything so no withdrawals. The ewe had a good hard elder maybe 10 days ago but now it’s gone soft and shrinking up with no milk in her teats . She was scanned for a single lamb . She’s still in good form but has never been trying to lamb . So I’d say she got a puck awhile back and the lamb is dead in her . Has anyone ever had an issue like this before or any advice to know for definitely that her lamb is dead . The ewes that were scanned as lates are lambing strong now but this ewe should have lambed by now as she wasn’t marked as a late . An feed back would be appreciated.

Bought sheep off a lad this evening after being talking to him a few times over the past few days. Was expecting to meet a 60yo ould fella.. he was 16 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Advertisement

Anyone ever hear the term before of sheep sick land ?? Heard a lad talking bout it and I was puzzled? Sounded like poor grassland management than anything.

Advertisement