Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painful things EV owners say...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Equally the guy who can afford the €55k EV is pocketing €5k free money and can sell the car after 2 to y years with very little depreciation .. does he need a €5k subsidy on top of this? Probably not. Would he say no to an easy €5k .. absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I remember the argument used to be about Petrol or Diesel, or manual and automatic...now its ICE or EV and both sides find the other equally irritating.

I dont see why it has to be so polarised and tribal, we all enjoy cars and driving and are excited about our new cars, or next car or whatever...but the level of debate is frankly rubbish. EV owners are sneering smug autists, ICE owners are sneering smug know it alls.

As I have lived in both worlds I have decided ye are both as bad as each other. So my advice on the original concept of this thread is "people in glass houses.......".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's not even true either, because the claimed range of those damn things is just 528 km, and we all know that the WLTP is hopelessly optimistic. So it had to have been charged at some point en route.

But sure we know that some EV fans are at the very best, economical with the truth, and a lot of them are utterly incapable or unwilling to accept that others may not think they are such a good idea, or that not everyone is as well off and as smug and sanctimonious as they are. Normal people don't virtue signal about saving the planet while buying 2 tonne plus SUVs, either.

Affordability is a big issue at the moment , in general, due to short supply of certain components to build cars and results long lead times. If the 5k subsidy gets anybody to consider a 55k EV and drop its price down to 50k as opposed to spending 45k on an equivalent petrol car it's all good. But if the 5k subsidy allows the manufacturer to price a 50k car at 55k it's bad.

I suspect that unlike in 2015 many manufactures actually trouser the subsidies in 2022. But it still results in the original objective, i.e. somebody will choose an EV over an ICE even if they have to wait a year longer to get the new car due to long lead times. And hence one less traditional car will be sold.

The subsidy results in more EVs being bought, and that is a very good thing for second hand card buyers in the future: It will allow more people to get one in the future. I suspect is that once the supply of new electric cars increases this will lead to a market correction of older EV prices where they will become much more affordable than the equivalent new car. That way everybody buying second hand can choose either or depending what they want to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

They are all just cars ... regardless of what powers them. If you have a look inside any of the EV Facebook groups or forums you'll see a constant theme of botching and moaning about other EV drivers and faux-virtual signalling about who should and should be allowed to charge .. who had the best charging speeds and hence should have more right to change ... don't mention the giving out about Chademo and PHEVs

it wasn't all that long ago there was a massive tax cut for diesel drivers.

ICE drivers are just as bad at winging and moaning about other's choices

i drive what suits me and couldn't give a crap what anyone else thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I drove Drogheda to Cork on Tuesday. Drove straight down. Parked in the Elysian. Went to a meeting. Got in my car and drove home.

Left at 6am. Was home by 3 in the afternoon. It was a one off, well I've a second one this week 🤣 but this is not a regular thing.

I'll buy an EV. I've nothing against EVs and I appreciate that they're better for the env. They're definitely a better drive for commuting etc. But a diesel (esp with a diesel card) will always be better for a day like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Absolutely it is but that's a long drive without a stop.

Anything where I'm driving 2 hours or more I'm definitely stopping either to stretch my legs, get a coffee or use the toilet.

If there's super fast chargers at these stops (petrol stations), then if you have an EV then it's ideal to let it gain around 200kms while you stop.

Diesel still is the real option if you are doing crazy miles every day and you don't have time to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would have to be a Fair Trade coffee though. :D

Unusual trip for certain, but still needs doing. If you went by the example above you would have spent 5 hours stopped getting fuel!! If we are doing a trip like this, we always have a 2nd driver in the car anyway so we don't need extra stops for cake :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hence the problem - everytime this Govt announces a "scheme" it's a hatchet job.

Want people driving cars to drive EVs and not ICEs - ban sales of new ICE. No if, buts, ands, bolloxology. No grants for EVs, no whopper carbon taxes on fuels or pissing about with motor tax rates, etc...

Second hand market will come on stream organically.

In the mean time stop giving €5k grants to the well heeled who can afford a new car, and stop gouging the piss poor folk through carbon taxes to pay for the well-heeled folks €5k grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I see nothing wrong with that EV6 owners post - whats wrong with an EV owner posting about a successful trip if its accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Because they are forever prattling on about how superior the cars are, much quiet, many powerful, very savings yada yada, yet the owner feels the need to gloat online that the car covered 600kms without charging. 600kms is still sh1te, any decent size ICE car could do double that figure, in the winter, with a head wind, with the heaters on full blast, no bother whatsoever with a fraction of the refueling time.

EVs aren't perfect. Also

No car is.....

But the technology both on the car and road gcharger side is constantly progressing even if charging in Ireland still needs improvement in terms of needing more chargers.

The technology is actually available as we speak to allow EVs travel 1000 kms in 10 hrs including charge stops.

And there's also Nios battery swop technology which allows a battery low on charge to be swapped for a fully charged one in 6 mins. Already operational in China for Nios customers (Nio is a Chinese EV manufacturer start up).

So no matter what drama threads like this throw up.

I think the EV future should work well

The actual range of the car is probably around 340 kms not 600.

But he never claimed to do the journey non stop so no 600 kms range claim was ever made.

Id also make the point that whatever you or others may think of the range.

That EV6 doing 600 kms in a day is actually demonstrating a level of capability far beyond what many ICE drivers think EVs can do.

I realise the infrastructure isn't where we need it to be but if we run a correct level of infrastructure in the future.

Then we don't actually need 1200 kms range especially if Nios battery swop idea takes off - ie swop a battery low on charge with a fully charged one in 6 mins.

I'm not going to lie - I like EVs - there I've said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I don't mind EV's, we'll probably end up with one sooner or later. But this trend below really shouts a$$hole to me... a green EU flag on your reg plates, just in case people weren't certain you were eco friendly..

• Advertisement

Not saying that pic is not cringworthy....but ICE owners have been known to make modifications to their cars that are less than tasteful also. German stickers and the likes.

Yep. agreed. - but I'm sure they're covered in the painful things ICE owners say and do thread!

...and I should add, people who stick 4D plates, german plates, etc generally do it because they think they look good (you may or may not agree that they do - I skipped past an advert for a car recently purely because of the 4D plates). Sticking a green EU flag on the reg plates is done to say 'look at me, I'm saving the planet', so I don't think they're totally similar in nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm going to put this post here aswell,it's in response to a poster saying they can't imagine any family that couldn't get by solely on an EV ffs....

"I'll give an example of a very large cohort who are excluded from buying an EV.

Those who can't afford to put themselves in serious debt over a car

Those who are excluded from owning a EV because they can't install a home charger.

I reckon combining the two you are looking at more than 50% of the population.

Its a serious lack of awareness bordering on complete arrogance not being able to see things (or at least acknowledge things) from other people's points of view and personal situations.

On another note,I live in the West,this year alone I've been to kerry,Tyrone,Dublin twice just for football matches,the usual huge convoy of cars from Mayo in tow.How would that work if even 20% of them were EV?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Similarly: much range, very heat, many 5-minute refuelling time.

Most people don’t need to drive 600km in one go. But arguments from limit cases cut both ways. Imagine the urban dweller who never drives on motorways. Their diesel is great! Except the DPF never gets a chance to regenerate and then they’re in for an expensive repair, amirite? Oh and the mileage is awful in city traffic, even with the car turning itself off and on at every stop light. “Oh but just take it for an hours-long drive on the motorway every once in a while.” Uh-huh

In other words, rosy scenarios on both sides of this debate, ignoring any pitfalls or downsides and based on limit cases

P.S. I was that urban dweller with the diesel. DPF was the bane of my existence. Much happier with my BEV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Too true. Every time I speak to an EV owner they deny they have ever had to wait more than a few minutes in a queue at a charger. Yet out of literally hundreds of long trips ive been on where we had to stop at a charger it has been empty just twice. Sometimes there have been up to 3 cars in front of us to charge. Yet no EV driver when you speak to them will ever admit to waiting to charge.

And you have the poster above talking about just plugging in at your destination as if thats always an option.

And our 30kwh leaf gets 120km easily all the time. 150 at a push in the summer if you are careful. But you have some owners saying they are getting 200km. Sorry, just dont believe it. So any trip more than 60km anywhere and we have to charge somewhere. Sometimes we have to go 30km off our route to a charger only to find it broken or a huge queue at the only charger for miles. Then you are stuck waiting or finding a slow charger somewhere because youve used too much range to get to the charger.

Its easier now just to take the diesel on any round over 60km out. But anything below our max range and the EV is great. As I said before I would reccommend them, but not as the only family car. If you have 2 cars then 1 one EV is great. But if you only have one car, dont make it an EV.

Then you have all this, sure on a long trip you would have to stop anyway.

Well before I drove an EV I never saw the inside of an expensive motorway service station. Still dont when im in the diesel. In the diesel i stop when and where i feel like it. Might even stop where there is a nice view. And certainly no less than 2 to 2.5 hours driving.

In the EV i always seem to be sitting in an expensive service station in some kip of a place with no view.

Or even have the grant, but have it limited to a total car price of 25k. So 5k grant plus 20k for car.

Force the manufacturers to supply cheaper EVs instead of subsidizing their sales of expensive ones.

Yeah I get what you are saying, but we are sticking people into groups here. EV owners versus ICE owners when both sets do the same stupid things. Sure the EV owners want to puff up their eco credentials, and the ICE owners want to puff up their performance credentials....but both people are basically doing the same thing. Puffing themselves up.

Everyone looks at thing from the own point of view and fail to see that other people have their POV. Look at the "I live in the west" posts....well the EV owner might live in Dublin and a diesel is not really suitable for them.

There is a snobbery in the EV community, and a reverse snobbery in the ICE...its just a bit easier punch up than down, but everyone is still throwing swings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

"I can't wait to get in line to give a dealer €65000 for a small car that should really cost €40000, and the best part is I'll be able to pick it up next November. Until them I can email the dealer every day and ask him if my car is on a ship yet. YAAAYYY!!"

Tongue in cheek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rich? I bought an EV less than a year ago for €2k. In perfect condition, extremely low miles, taxed and tested. It costs less in total cost of ownership than if someone had given me a free petrol or diesel banger. Now it is a compromised car as it has only a small range of about 60-90km and can't fast charge, but it is perfect as a second family local runabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭electricus

The rinse and repeat ICE vs EV arguments are getting tiresome. Everyone should be aware of the pros vs cons and truth vs lies at this stage.

I imagine it was much the same a century ago when drivers chatted around the water troughs while refuelling their horses. Lots of talk about how easy it was to keep a horse in hay and water compared with new-fangled cars and their special fuel mixes, oil, filling stations, etc. Not to mention how easy it was to start a horse on a cold morning compared with a cranking a car.

The car drivers retorted with boasts of extra horse power and how clean their mode of transport was, especially around the streets of towns and cities which were polluted with mounds of horse sh1te and rivers of p1ss.

And on it goes… The truth is most people will drive what works best for their requirements or use public transport if that happens to work better.

Post edited by electricus on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@electricus - back 100 years ago people had to go into a pharmacy to buy petrol. There were no filling stations. So that was a bit awkward alright 😁

Agree with your sentiment though, most people don't like change and want to cling on to what they know best. Same now as it was 100 years ago. It's very hard to accept where we are all going even though the reasons why are pretty clear now to most.

Again there is a grain of truth in what you say. But last time I was in a BMW dealership there was a 520d with a m performance kit that was 70k, I would consider that the same sort of mania. The long lead times are really a testament to popularity. I am sure it will calm down as the manufacturers put more of their resources into EV production and scale back ICE production. Like all newer technologies EV is aimed at richer people, but without those initial buyers there will be no mass uptake or second hand market.

Its all tribal, I would think if EV owners crossed the street minding their own business some ICE owners would find that intensely irritating and vice versa. Try not letting your bias make you infer a certain stereotypical personality on people. I would think the average EV owner give zero thought to their car same as the average ICE owner. The internet and FB will tend to concentrate the more vocal enthusiast. I would type the same thing on the EV version of this thread. I predict Godwins law will be proven within 40 more posts here.

Some people will always be resistant to change and this applies to EVs also. However in the case of EVs there is also a significant proportion of drivers who would gladly change over to EVs if there were affordable options with a reasonable range. It's all very well to talk about older leafs with 80 to 100km range satisfying most peoples daily needs, but the reality is any day they want to head off on a 50km journey they are faced with the dilemma of having to charge the damn thing to make it home.

It wont always be the way but currently incentives to move to EVs are focussed on new cars and unfortunately manufacturers are focussing on high end profitable models which are outside the preserve of many. This no doubt is driving some of the tribalism between EV and ICE folk. My neighbour picked up his new €59,900 Q4 etron last week and of course he's telling me about how cheap it is to run and its a no brainer as the Govt has given him €5k in cash for the car and €600 to install a charger. "Sure you'd be mad to miss out on the opportunity". Fully agree with him if I and others had the capacity to shell out €55k or afford the monthly payments for this no brainer. By the way he got the etron 35 as opting for the 40 would have put him over €60k. I was asking him if he OK with the reduced range of the 35 and his said yea as he also has a 212 high spec Ranger if he want to do longer journeys. Global warming wouldn't be too high on his radar, as is the case for many EV and ICE drivers alike.

Personally I would have opted for the 40 with less toys, as for me paying €55k for 300km odd range is mad when you could have a 500km option for the same money excluding a couple of superfluous toys. I'm hoping others will have a similar preference and opt for range versus toys so there will be more longer range used options in 3 to 4 years when I will be looking for one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The way the models are often packaged, range and toys go together. At least it was that way with the ID.3s when I was buying mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The only reason I don't have an EV is cost, to be perfectly honest.

To most people cars are just white goods. All people care about ultimately is MPG. We all saw the change in 2008, once the tax changed and few people raved about the great MPG of diesel, half the country switched to diesel.

The same will happen with electric.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Haven't looked in detail at pricing but I understand you can pay well over €60k for a etron 35 or less than €60k for an etron 40 depending on what options you select. So certainly in the Eton's case you can opt for range or toys and still qualify for grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya it's something I've never understood, if one is buying to save the planet, surely the more basic the better.

Can't understand why evs have so much gadgets and gizmos surely the idea for manufactures and consumers is to make the car as efficient as possible. Or are they just full of ××××.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you are selling a product that has more demand than supply you sell the version that has the highest margin, the options are where manufacturers make most of their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Still powered by fossil fuels, put that sticker on a push bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

this is where you are wrong ... . just about every new car apart from the budget models have loads of new tech as standard .. it is what most people want.

I'm an EV driver and to be honest efficiency is somewhat further down my list of requirements in a car - I just don't do the milage to save that much money. I'm more concerned with the function of the car.

I have a Volvo S80, I love everything about it but...

I work from home, have panels on the roof, I have to get up now and turn on every appliance to minimise the amount of power I am sending to the grid (for free). I do 60km daily and have, in the past 5 years, not gone beyond the range on newer EVs in one trip.

Honestly; if I could afford a new Skoda Enyaq 80x, at the moment, I would be all over it (or if Volvo came out with an AWD V90...)

If I did not need my next car to be AWD for bloody horse boxes (reason I can not currently splash out on a new car) I would have probably already bitten the bullet.

Saying that, we would definitely be staying with one ICE in the household

• Advertisement

The vast majority of EV owners are not concerned with range once its over a certain minimum. ICE owners are now very very concerned with range because it one of the last intuitive issues with EV's (even though its not, I have had many ICE cars couldn't do 300km on a full tank, and I didnt have a petrol station at my house). Once EV have 1000km of range you will see the cost as the main gripe...but you know these new features and technologies the ICE owners demand should be as cheap as the mature 100 year old technology they have at the moment you understand. Those can afford to by them to create the second hand stock are smug gits.

I would love to own a horse, but simply cannot afford it. Whatever you do dont say to anyone you like going out riding your horse that you paid for with your hard earned, that would be talking down to people and making them feel bad. As for paying for their toys.....this middle class elite the post you linked to mentions are paying tax at a far higher level than the "working man" so really they are just getting something back from a system they are vast net contributors to. But look this is not about logic or fact, its the feeling of being left out, of not being able to have things you want, confirmation bias and coveting your neighbours possessions.

Right now in another thread about EVs you have an EV driver saying that anyone whoever had to wait at a charger doesnt know how to drive and even cant tell the difference between chargers and the one for their car.

Ive spent plenty of time waiting at chargers and I do know what the charger looks like. As im sure do most EV owners.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not every car is suitable for every journey and for longer journeys most EVs will need to charge to some extent. Unfortunately needing to charge on a motorway charger on a weekend (when lots of people are on the move) or at somewhere like Blanchardstown SC on a weekend/during shopping hours are always going to be peak times and you would be lucky to find them empty. Nothing to do with knowing how to drive at all! Said person probably doesn't venture further than the range of their car so that they never need to use a public charger but that is not realistic for most people. We've been all over the country in ours long before we had a car with the range to get you from one side of the country to the other without charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No problem, you did not buy an EV to save the planet. So you love the tech that it gives and that's fine.

Others are let's save the planet but I love the heated seats.

heated seats make no difference to the range

also - I'd say heated seats are the bare min spec that is acceptable in a new car (apart from the budget model) .. it's not really a luxury anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Let's just put aside what energy source both ICE and EV's use, and judge them as vehicles to move people. In this respect EV's are totally compelling for most.

Quieter, more refined, faster, devoid of so much mechanical stuff that causes trouble, and of course cheaper to run (if not to buy, yet). Time will tell if they are more reliable but with so much less to give trouble you would expect that to be the case. That they make better modes of transport for most individuals is certain.

The weaknesses, range, ease of charging, cost and so on will all be addressed in the coming years.

A chap on YouTube just rebuilt a BMW V12, and the sheer complexity of that engine would blow your mind, and wallet after a few years. Fascinating from an engineering POV but it has so many weaknesses from fuel delivery, cooling, lubrication, countless gaskets, the list is endless. Engines have been around forever and they are still fraught with engineering weaknesses.

I say this an ICE driver, but the game is well and truly up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think the problem is that humans are tribal by nature. In the modern world you can take a look at things like left vs right politics, and in the tech sector you have Windows vs Mac vs Linux, and iOS vs Android. In all of these divisions there's people who believe that their way is the "real" way and the other options shouldn't even exist.

if I'm honest - I would have had as many concerns as most before I bought an EV ... helped that I had a PHEV on the driveway at the same time .. but 12 months on I am confident enough to go full EV and leave ICE behind .... that is until I get my hands on a 1988 MB 190E Cosworth 2.5 that I have my eye on ..... which will be the weekend car

Hope you dont suffer 2 much anxiety worrying that the working man might key or rob your shiny new EV. Terrible problem having to deal with those always trying to drag you down.

Last time I looked I was a working man too, 6 days a week for the last 20 years. I put it in quotes to point out the stupidity in calling people middle class elite or working men. Its just more of this tribalism rubbish. Sure we have a guy on saying he cannot afford an EV but if he got rid of his horse he could....mother of god, is the irony lost.

Fewer parts to go wrong is very true. But the parts that go wrong are huge! Drivetrains, whole motors, batteries (ask the EV mod). Out of warranty these costs will be major

• Advertisement
Advertisement