Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Never understand why "the" is still added, it's a Soviet thing which has spilled over into post Soviet times, it's like saying The Ireland or The France, only two countries in the world have officially got "the" in their official titles- The Bahamas and The Gambia, yet we add the in all to often, The Netherlands, The Congo etc.

The added use of the stems from Soviet times where the practice was to refer Ukraine as "na Ukraine" - na meaning "in the" as in an unbounded territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

@ronivek

You posted like 20 posts about unconfirmed event, you got plenty of answers to your each post, which even stronger confirmed things, which might have been fake. As they say a lie repeated 100 times becomes a truth - a golden rule of any propaganda. Do you feel OK with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I'd usually agree, and yes, the benefits do outweigh the negatives currently.... but this conflict has shown that it is not as fully united as it likes to make out... and even though Brexit I still feel was a bad decision, if the UK hadn't left it, there wouldn't have been as much of a steady stream of anti armour weapons entering the country initially, which was definitely a key dis-advantage to the Russian's (and probably a play they didn't envisage when they encouraged Brexit)..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I once read a comment from a farmer British tank commander who said that pound for pound, the Russian T34 was the best all round tank in the ww2.

Well if he's a farmer JM, he knows tractors so he'll have a few tanks in his shed... 😜

The T34 was like the original AK47, brought some clever innovations(though the Germans invented the first assault rifle. Some of them even turned up in the Syrian conflict. 😮), was cheap as chips to make, was reliable, could be fixed with a hammer, gaffa tape and prayer and could be produced in huge numbers. Though in one on one most of the German iron would flatten it. IIRC there were some or variants of some still around in the 1980's in service. They've been famously dragged off war memorial plinths filled with go juice and restarted.😮😁 Including during some demonstration in an ex Eastern Bloc nation(whose name sadly escapes) a few years ago, where they got one running and off they went. Though weren't tankers as they left their demonstrators(infantry) behind and left all the hatches open. A couple of tear gas grenades from the local Gardai later... The German Panther was a very good tank apparently. The Tiger is an icon because of its gun that could carve through anything else and at mad ranges, though it was German so overly complex and broke down a lot. It weighed too much and was too slow. The Sherman for all the post war "ah sure it was like Zippo lighter when hit" was clearly a very good tank design.

Fellow Boardsie Manic Moran, AKA The Chieftain on Youtube, an ex tanker himself and an authority on tanks. I was never really interested in tanks, until I read his stuff on here and went looking on the Tube for more and got feckin' hooked. If he sees this, all of the above I've written will be summarily and expertly dismissed as my usual utter bollocks. 😁

One pity about these vids and the above Manic Moran has noted this in one of his latest vids, is that they're heavily edited and without context.

Though IIRC the Russian tanks in play in Ukraine on both sides are not well regarded by tankers. Too prone to blowing up, too cramped. The US, European and Israeli kit would make them very unhappy. Though they're on a level playing field in Ukraine.

Still IMHO anyone who chooses to fight in a tank has my respect. As a kid on a trip to England way back in the day I got the chance to get into one(can't remember what it was, but it was IIRC kinda current. it wasn't a WW2 job anyway) and even though I was a skinny and bendy 13 year old, it was scarily tight and claustrophobic. And the hatches were open and it wasn't flying across a field with people shooting at me and me trying to shoot at them. I felt more vulnerable, not less.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Detritus70

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The won't be fast tracked. The likes of Serbia are seven steps ahead of them and they are stalled and not getting in any time soon. Corruption is the number one black mark against them. Media freedom is also very poor. He'll be a real hero to his people if he can crack those two. 5 years absolute minimum I would say but realistically probably into the next decade.

Hard to say,as a human being i find that hard to beleive,but then again are russians human at all

Another armoured russian column destroyed

Good job Ukraine

They have made it an art

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I heartily recommend this LAZERPIG satirical dismembering of the T34 - My knowledge of military technology is limited (guns shoot bullets right!?) - but i remember reading about many a flaw in the T34 - including a crazy situation whereby only 'command tanks' had radios? Germans took advantage of this in many battles, and would go for the command tank, which would leave the others uncoordinated and disfunctional

The T34 is a fav of many a military buff - the whole 'Tank that won the war' etc

As for this video - if anyone wants a breather from the news - Check this out - it will make you laugh, and give you some fascinating info too!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So nice of the Russian to all park up in a line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

I meant that they would possibly be pragmatic, which would imply there is also a possibility that they would not be pragmatic and just follow the order. In short, it's a variable. One hell of a variable.

People's lives do count for something, but that also ties back to the argument of why NATO would be so cagey about directly engaging with Russia - that as bad as what's happening in Ukraine is, if the nukes started flying... yada, yada, yada. We've heard the argument from multiple directions at this point.

My personal belief is that if either a NATO force, or even a joint European one, moved into the west of Ukraine, it would not instantly intensify proceedings to a nuclear level, nor ever. Not by simple fact of such a force setting foot inside Ukraine, anyway. Now, if it were a case of the much talked about no-fly zone being set up and that necessitating hitting ground targets within Russia to make it feasible, i.e. SAM installations, that... would be a new situation. I have no idea how that would develop.

I also think the unavoidable fact of waging war is that the decision makers in it have to be cold, analytical and a fair bit detached from the immense human suffering on the ground. If said decision makers allowed the red mist to descend, there's a strong chance of making rash, uncalculated decisions that would, ironically, get even more people killed. It makes for awfully hard decisions, many of which would be contemporaneously unpopular, but might be viewed differently in the fullness of time... or not, as the case may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given all the Russian caused horror we have witnessed on this thread I think it's time for something to put a smile on your faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Fair point. But couldn't the individual EU countries send more weapons if they wanted? I mean, does France need EU approval if it wants to supply arms whereas the UK doesn't? I'm not sure how that works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

The Russians remind me of the travellers who make challenge videos. They make brutal accusations against each other with no proof in the hope of a confrontation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah it's easy to forget(and rightfully) because of this war that pig putin is prosecuting Ukraine had more issues than Time's back catalogue. The economy, the corruption, the media freedoms, never mind the ongoing civil war and yep the not exactly Right On liberal trend in some of Ukraine's politics were sticking points to say the least for being brought into the EU. NATO for all of putin's ballsology was on the long finger too.

Now to be fair and accurate to Ukraine, they were changing and looking for positive changes since Maidan and were making progress on all fronts. And again this is the question I put to putinbots on Twitter: if he's out to denazify Ukraine, why didn't he do it when there were far more "nazis" in power in Ukraine, rather than now when they can't get elected? Literally. It shuts them right the fúck up. Or they go off on one about trump, q-anon, vaccines make you magnetic, adrenochrome and Biden's a child molester. And the Moon landings were a hoax. 911 was in inside job. You get the picture. Class A fúcking morons.

I said this very early on in this thread: horrific though this invasion of pricks is and after the hard grieving the Ukrianian people will suffer, this will be the making of Ukraine and Ukrainians. It'll help Europe too. The eyes of the world are on them and behind them and that change the Ukrainian people want will be supported and anyone who tries to dial them back, or any "old ways" of bullshít will be pointed out. That "chess master" putin has lost. They will Never look to the east again. Never look to Moscow again. By his imperial notions he's made them more independent than ever. Peter the Great? More like putin the Twat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They can, have and still are, but to play the EU merri-go round and be "a good member" you need consensus across the board, which is slow and full of red-tape....

The US & UK have been doing stuff for years with the Ukrainian military, but the UK took the first public step of arming them with defensive weapons in preparation for the invasion... other Baltic states followed suit, much to the annoyance of Germany and France who has concluded an invasion wouldn't happen at the time..

Russia 1 now with English banners with propaganda....

bear in mind they have been openly discussing about destroying Ukraine and whitewash all Russian activities worldwide.

Best one i heard today was a troll that claims its because of russophobia,and Ukraine triggered it.

I wonder why the world hates Putin and Russia too so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I posted that Gaddafi video.

If you check the posts in the video a few posts in a person gives a time link to what was said and when in the video.

Sorry can't delete the first video for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Has their been any state in the last 100 years which murdered its own citizens as a publicity stunt? I've heard of faked massacres but an actual atrocity would be off the scale (how on earth could they manage it without the surviving citizens of Bucha being aware it had happened?).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Russia would by the first one to spring to mind

Mauripol is going to be off the charts in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's a discussion board. For discussing things.

Twitter is literally designed for people who can't be arsed reading more than a few words at a time; I suggest you try there if you can't follow more than a few sentences at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@briany - My personal belief is that if either a NATO force, or even a joint European one, moved into the west of Ukraine, it would not instantly intensify proceedings to a nuclear level, nor ever. Not by simple fact of such a force setting foot inside Ukraine, anyway. 

Exactly. I couldn't agree with you more.

But try telling that to the handful of lily-livered cowards on here who care only for their own ass.

One poster (without mentioning names but he's a self-professed expert on EVERYTHING) harps on about the millions of children who would be vapourised in a nuclear confrontation.

Putin already knows the West are arming Ukraine to the teeth. Putting boots on the ground in Ukraine is no different - it's still not directly attacking Russian cities or land. Hell, you are simply helping a country defend itself from an invasion, and to prevent further atrocities.

If Putin is crazy enough to instigate nuclear confrontation then he's going to do it with or without intervention on the ground in Ukraine. And he - or when he's gone the next leader - will always hold the nuclear sword of damocles over the rest of the world. But does that mean we have to humour him and give him free reign to butcher thousands of children and civilians, and probably do it again in the near future. What's to stop him doing a full Hitler and invading the rest of the Baltic states and even other countries. If it gets to that stage we will HAVE to get involved, so he needs to be shown NOW that the civilised world has red lines that HE cant cross.

If you allow a despot such as Putin - who is starting to tread the exact same line as Hitler - to blackmail and bluff his way to cause inaction by the West, then the chances are he will go on to cannibalize a whole chunk of the Baltics, and Europe. Maybe not now but certainly in the future.

It makes my blood boil that certain weasels on Boards smugly come out with their long-winded prose as to why we cant do anything because of nuclear intimidation. I don't care whether it's a single child or 5,000, action has to be taken when ANY terrified child has such despicable things done to them and is then murdered. We don't allow it outside of war and there's absolutely no reason to allow it within war. I don't know how people can sleep at night when they say it's alright for this abuse to continue. No life is above your own.

Better to die a hero and defender of decency and justice, than a coward without a heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Russia 1999 blew up a number of apartment blocks, killed 300+ and injured over 1000 as a false flag to launch the 1st Chechen war. Putin was Prime Minister at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh they'll be through there with their cremation machines . That is in no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It's images like this which make me want to go fight. What we do to each other is horrific, but what has that young child seen in his short life.

Makes me sad 😢

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement