Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When people are giving serious discussion to banning certain athletes from an entire class of sports, (and no less using the force of law to do it) it is necessary though.

Just because it didn't affect the everyday life for the vast majority of us non-blacks to know their legal definition actually included the right vote, integrate into social activities, etc. and doesn't mean that it wasn't an important conversation to be having, just because 'we' were not the target of the discrimination, or it didn't effect 'most of us in our every day lives.'

I assume you meant, these stories people fret over in sports recently have only sometimes become legal disputes. Because of course, the law applies in all cases, not just certain cases. If the NCAA decides the competitor is cheating at their game they can choose to expel them for that. Haven't heard an argument from the NCAA or its refs that was the case though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I was referring to the fact that you provided a link to help me tell the difference between cows and bulls, when my point had been we all know the difference even when we can't define it. I didn't say anything about sport in that post at all.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

The thread remains ever still about sport. ›Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

If we can't define a woman how do we approach legislating one?

We can define a woman though.

female adult human.

Transwomen aren't female. Female is biological. Gender is a social construct.

Ugh. Done to death.

If you genuinely think a man can be a woman or a woman can be a man,I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

But Jesus, really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They appear to be in the same weight division?

yes, they are.

how do you think Katie Taylor would fare against Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao, at the same weight?

• Advertisement

Many legal case examples say things though, such as

Female means a person who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States and who is of the female gender.

If Gender is a social construct, but Female is biological, and Female is referred to by many legal experts as the Female Gender, then, I'm lost on how that definition is trans exclusionary.

So I guess we must dig deeper: what's the acceptable legal definition of a Female? The above definition is circular, so it's not great either.

We could do the chromosome malarkey, we could do how gender and sex are intrinsically linked, or we could just be **** adults and realise that men aren't women.

But you do you.

We weren't differentiating between Man and Woman, we were still discussing the definition of a Woman. What's the definition of a Man?

I didn't say "We can't". I said I don't know the legal definition but I can still tell the difference between a man and a woman in 99% of cases. Same as with most other male and female animals.

Or, same as I can't prove that the earth is not 6000 years old, but I still know it isn't.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

A male adult human.

It's not difficult.

Males and females are different and easily distinguishable by their genetic makeup.

• Advertisement

Are there only 2 genetic makeups?

Definition for a Male is: _ ?

Are there two sexes?

Yes.

Male and female.

There are some exceptionally rare anomalies such as intersex, but the vast vast vast majority of people can be classed as male or female due to their biological makeup.

What's your definition of male?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Your post dripped snark yet you wonder why I didn’t engage lol.

Horribly wrong within the context of an open competition might be for example a woman getting seriously injured or worse, or maybe all women coming joint last or something. That’s why I asked if it had been done anywhere, and that it would seem sensible to try it out at a smaller scale. We could find out we we’re better off as we are.

Dont think there’s anything controversial there.

Ha

So when trans begins to include testicle-transplants... then what, Dude? :)

So if there are not only two sexes, why are there only 2 castes, Male and Female?

Why do trousers have two legs when some people are born with one or no legs?

There are two sexes. Male and female.

They are not interchangeable. There are some exceptionally rare genetic anomalies, but they are not typical of the two sexes.

What came first, the trousers, or the person?

But you said there are other sexes:

anomalies such as intersex

Which you describe as "exceptionally rare" which is not an objective metric. Not that I think being rare means someone is less protected by the Constitution (or protected to Human Rights and Dignities). The Equal Status Clause in the US Constitution, for example, or what would have been the Equal Rights Amendment, outlawing sex discrimination.

Here are some precise figures:

Is 1 in 650 exceptional rarity?

Are you saying 1 out of 650 births are neither distinguishably male or female?

That's simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Another few pages and more people wanting to (effectively) get rid of female sports.

The debate should really be about what are the acceptable steps (as in medication or otherwise) for a trans person to be able to compete against others of their acquired identity (where there are only 2 categories of identity in sports with other categories broken down within them) or if that it's possible to get to a level playing field at all and if we should just break down the sports by ability (so the weaker men compete in what is now generally the female category and ignore gender entirely, I wouldn't espouse this but some seem to be, even if they don't realise it).

I would argue that 1/650 is too few (and there are lots of variations within that 1) to create an effective category so where they compete will always be a fudge.

• Advertisement

"Are you saying a Haitian and a Somalian are neither distinguishably black or white? That's simply not true."

"simply not true" how? They are neither XX or XY. Rep. Madison Cawthorn spoke on the floor of Congress recently and bellowed that a Man was definitively, XX chromosomes, and a "tallywacker" so if you are XXY, and you have a tallywacker, no, Lawmakers don't think that you are a man. Your response to Cawthorn's definition?

The transition itself evidences there is a whole spectrum of legal/social-construct states between male<-Transitioning->female. It may be futile to try and pin down an exact bisection point.

**** it man, when you need to argue that you cannot tell the difference between a man and a woman, the conversation is ridiculous.

Have at it. Life is too short.

I won't accept that a man is a woman or a woman is a man.

You can if you want.

Be "progressive" enough to advocate that biological women are no different to biological men.

(And a Haitian and a Somalian are descriptions of where the people were born, not their ethnicity or are you saying a white person born in Somalia is not Somalian?.... Actually, **** it don't bother answering.

I'm done with this.

I concede. Women are men.

And a Haitian and a Somalian are descriptions of where the people were born, not their ethnicity or are you saying a white person born in Somalia is not Somalian?

Touche, sir. That was an inappropriately crude argument by me.

Or, alternatively, you’ve tied yourself up in knots because you’re trying to find arguments to defend something that fundamentally doesn’t make sense.

(I’d given up on this place after the software changeover some months back - I was hoping it had settled down now but I’m still struggling with it. Have the rest of ye learned how to use it or is it really as unwieldy as I’m finding it?)

I don’t like it either and also left for a long while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭plodder

I gave a definition in my last post. Anyone with one or more Y chromosomes in their cells is male. Anyone without Y chromosomes is female. That's not an arbitrary definition either because it's the presence of a Y chromosome that distinguishes male and female. I didn't think we were still clinging to the 'more than two genetic makeups' stuff. Genetic sex is binary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The debate is about sport, the above reply says nothing about your argument to (effextively) remove the female sports categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

They should ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

Them

Advertisement