Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby, Do we need it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Touch of jealously perhaps on your part , rugby have become most important sort in Ireland after your gaas . Nobody heard of football team (or care) but around the globe people chant and respect Irish rugby team, as as Japan as far as US

Also person like yourself become overly anxious about quality of oysters and spelt bread in limerick , you have finest team, but you are shameful complete , in reverse we match you and ride you, same with ads and funds

Yes I realised many years ago that to play football is a beautiful thing, for fun to trick a few balls, to dripple, slice a kick everyone laughs, beautiful bit of skill as member brushes past mate on other team, amused with friends and pint after, but this sport very dull to watch IMO

I tgink you can’t watch football and say it’s interesting unless you read and gave interest in prices for players and budgets of club and who is plugging who and the wifes etc. Surely the game itself is not interesting to warrant attention to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have never been a fan of oysters, K. Everything about them makes me, shall we say, uneasy. The consistency, and saltiness, has always turned me off. Just not my “thing”. Too spunky.

As for the rest of your post, I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ah ha. Trick is to drink salty shot back to throat at room temperature with mineral tasting wine (I prefer lanquedoc) . I take girlfriend and family to Kinsale for platter ever summer and then serve seafood later too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

And yet the Div 1 National Hurling League final had an attendance of 18930 in a stadium that holds 45690..... And the largest crowd at any soccer match was less than 6000.

So the Munster Leinster match was by far the best attended match this weekend. I fail to see what your point is...other than being a troll of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

There were 32k at the D1 and D2 football finals in Croke Park.

Now I know there were 4 counties involved but that's still less than the 18 counties represented by Munster vs Leinster.

Rugby is played in like 10 countries,ireland have never made it past the last 8 in a world cup

Pretty sure no rational human can "respect" that achievement....which given the lack of any actual skill level involved is an achievement of sorts....how or why this rubbish gets so much airtime on tv is completly beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I always find it interesting, or contradictory rather that you always trot out the “it’s only played in like 10 countries” argument against rugby despite being an avowed hurling fan.

How many counties in hurling can stake a genuine claim to being competitive? About 10? If even? Does that make hurling pointless? Or the competition and rivalries any less fierce every year? Of course not, the same goes for rugby, just it’s on a larger scale.

• Advertisement

Your free to make that point.....but no hurling fan is claiming its county is respected/chanted across the world (or indeed across ireland),

despite having never won a knock-out competitive game,irish rugby fans are to rugby,what english soccer fans are to soccer

Such over indulged (see excessive tv coverage),sense of self importance is near entirely the preserve of rugby supporters,whom even at worst of covid,when noone could go anywhere/do anything lobbied TDs to try get a school game played

Team of us,me hole

Ah yeah I dunno why I bothered tbf, you’ve proven time and again you’ve no interest in having a rational discussion on this topic.

You’re just blinded by hatred. It’s a bit sad - you’ll say you don’t care but yet any time rugby is mentioned in AH/CA there you are

Anyway as I’ve said there’s no point in me wasting my time attempting to engage in discussion with you in good faith re rugby. It’s a shame really, in all other matters you’re a logical and agreeable poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Christ your bitterness is palpable , did some privet school boy steal your Mrs or something

its nearly funny how much people celebrating Ireland being good at a sport angers and annoys you :-)

and your wrong in nearly everything.

Irish provinces have won 7 European cups and lenister is one of the best teams in the world (not a lenister man )

Kilkenny teams have been know and admired across the country for the style and class of their hurling (im not from killkenny btw)

English football fans are hated the world over for being violent hateful vicious little cowards , how are Irish rugby fans like that ??

every sport from basket ball to billiards lobbied for reopening

Except i dont hate rugby?

Just the sight of buzzwords and hype to paper over a lack of any actual skill level and being sold to unsuspecting public,then inducing kids to play a game that simply isnt safe

If you went out tomorrow,picked someone who is under 25,over 6ft5,17 stone plus,with low to moderate motor skills,who never played rugby....chances are after a few weeks "training" they would likely start and play at a reasonably high level

Easy to be "good" at a sport with little to no motor skills involved and played by at best a dozen countries😅

Quite how/why this sport gets so much air time and clogs up tv schedules for weeks on end and near blanket coverage on sports pages,considering its relatively small playing population is beyond me.

Such a bunch of over inflated self importance....tell me,did the irfu comission a report into last wrc,which concluded that anxiety at playing the golaiths of world rugby-japan,was to blame for another crash out?

Case in point. I don’t know why you bother with this nonsense

You’re so wrong that it just comes off as either trolling or astoundingly ignorant

I see you know as little about rugby as you do hurling,

there are 20 teams in a RWC , collage rugby is driving interest in country's across the world , America eastern Europe Scandinavia

No one is forcing you to watch it you know ? and god knows the quality of club and inter pro rugby is better than the LOI dribble that does be on the tv

Munster Ulster and Connaught rugby as well as the AIL offer so many opportunities to young people, Lenister less so ,

So why the unbridled hatred of rugby blazz , is it all those protestants ?

Rugby is tradionally regarded as divided between north/southern hemisphere

Which is admirable for a novel approach,until you realise the southern hemisphere is simply 4 countries and a scattering of micro-nations in the pacific

Its on all the time on tv,i watch it,and see how people might enjoy it,in a masochistic sort of way,its certainly not for any preceived skill levels......but the utter bollocks,buzzwords and hype would ans should,anyone with cognative ability above a turkey

Its too dangerous a game for ungerage kids to play imo,even a welsh player had to retire during the week from a concussion injury goinga back years,and noone seems to stop for a second to ask if its safe for kids to play?

Lad,i know people who taken this game up in their late 20s early 30s and play to reasonably high club level as the club gaa was getting too serious (a big flaw in gaa,too many take it too serious)

Its catch and throw,backed up by crash/tackle....a display of extra-ordinary motor skill levels it is not.....like fair play to lads athletism(the meme its for fat blokes is overblown),but its simply not skillful or deserving of its endless hype imo

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's actually hilarious to see how much a marketing slogan of a phone company gets some people so riled up.....

Aw i see we can add geography to the list of things you know very little about :-)

Actually there is Ladies AIL and the Lady's sex nations on at the min , not that macho , bu can be as complex and intricate as mens games

What sports would you consider cerebral enough to be on tv then ?

Because the professionalism of rugby it puts it streets ahead of the Gaa in player protections and welfare

All sports are dangerous ,team sports ore so but its part of why we play them

that's an awful and nonsensible reason to hate rugby blaz

why dont you head up to your local club some night for training and see if you can manage some catch and throw yourself ?

Rugby is so professional and safe,they were still introducing new protocols around the scrum this years 6 nations to try make it safer🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

I dont see how its safe to induce kids to play a game,still being modified to make it safe,people still retire from it with concussion injuries,with a massive drinking culture attached to it,and many will need steroids to make the gains necessary to be bulky enough to play it at top level

Continuous ongoing efforts to improve player safety ? da bastards lol shame other sports arent as progressive

again you have no idea about rugby , head up to a club and find out, its easier for you to just trot out every weak stereotype to your hatred of something you dont understand

Induce kids? to play to exercise have fun make friends become part of a team develop as people , ya now being a kid. shocking stuff altogether .

I ll ask again what sports you approve of blaz or do you only talk about things you hate

It’s much harder to do well in rugby. You don’t have Titans like New Zealand or South Africa. Everyone just cancels each other out into like dull boring games where nothing happens. Ireland have no achievements in beautiful games compared to rugby where you have crushed New Zealand and produced world class players. And I think most of the footballers are English? Anyway if you enjoy that stuff flake away no need to disparage union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Just when you think it’s all over, suddenly there is womens rugby on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

it is an elitist sport. A foreign sport. An imported sport. A sport associated with privilege, colonialism and oppression. It is how it came to be an international sport - it was imposed on nations that were under the jackboot of the British. Same could be said of cricket.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I see people saying theres a lot of rugby coverage on TV. Is there really? I have the Sky Sports extra package I don't think there is enough rugby on it. How much coverage is there on free to air tv? Seriously? The 6 Nations and then 1 provincial game a week on RTE and 1 on TG4. Or is there more?

I think most of this jealousy arises out of fact that rugby is a much more exciting game to watch than footie m. More spectacular, greater variety of hulks, tactics and skills . It brings out the dormant primordial warrior in all of us, footie brings out the thug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why do rugby jocks like to drink beer through the used sock of their bros?? That is very overly chummy behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Being advertised to death all this week. Tried to watch it on tv some years ago. it was a cold misty day. Some of the women were shivering during play. Not a good watch. Hope it has improved some.

Women shivering where do I tube in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

As a rugby fan, that's exactly how I feel about GAA. I don't enjoy it, but lots of other people get great enjoyment from it, and sport is good for the players and the communities who support them.

There's lots of GAA coverage about but I just don't really pay any attention. It's nothing for me to get cross about.

I've no idea why someone would want to turn sports supporting into a competition. If people enjoy it and it doesn'tcause harm, let them at it. We should encourage each other to take any enjoyment we can get in life.

Mate people die from this game,lads getting dementia in their 40s,isnt what people should be promoting on national tv

Its a simple game,repeating dogma and screaming ya dont understand it ,but unable to elaborate further only serves to suggest yous are blowing smoke about it

,but its the never ending BS and buzzwords attached,its a victory for mindless marketing,but not for skill level/entertainment value,

Indeed,rugby deos develop youth into fine upstanding citizens such as paddy jackson and co🤮,

It simply never ends.....at one time during 6 nations,between matches,club games etc and highlights,there was something like 21 hours rugby on free-to-air tv

Such saturation can only be described as excessive imo

No people dont die from playing rugby , nor is any one forced to take part

again no one is making you watch it , pointing out your lack on information on many issues isnt screaming just because it makes you look and feel stupid

do you want me to list the professional soccer players convicted or accused of crimes ? boxers perhaps , golfers ?

again i ll ask (3rd time now ) what sports do you propose are better for us all ?

Literally a politocal advisor for scottish parliment died playing last week

Except you havnt provided any info on lack of info,just repeated dogma i dont understand it over and over (which is evidently untrue) and are unable to elaborate further upon it.....which given yous cheerlead a sport where people cheer when ball is kicked out of play by their own team,should be of concern to yous

Died while playing rugby vs died from playing rugby , I don't want to embarrass you by having to point out the difference.

What info do you want ? i ve suggested you try it out for your self , dont you think that might help you understand, as for cheerleading an dogma i think you have some other unresolved issues there blaz .

One more time blaz , if you can bring your self to pause your hatred what sport would you like to see people playing,?

Splitting hairs....next yous be out to proclaim.all those early dementia and lads retiring early due to concussion injuries is just coincidene and 'high jinx'

Havnt said yous cheerlead om dogma,comprehension skills not a strong point?,

perhaps best to leave it there,as this was 4th post in which yous have attempted to make it personal and adbandon the use of facts and logic in the never-ending blind defence of nonsense,over self importance game of throw and catch.....

whereas i have been entirely courteous and polite,i have no issue with your conduct believing you adore the goys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Did you play rugby for long yourself? Trying to read your posts it appears that you took a few bangs to the head so I can see why this is an issue close to your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stoolie

As far as I know, there's only about 7 teams who plays this rubgy. ( Britain's Lions , Australia, New Zealand , South Africa , Italy and I think America , Germany and Japan , maybe )

To say we "are competitive on an international scale" in this game is a bit of a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stoolie

As far as I know, there's only about 7 teams who plays this rubgy. ( Britain's Lions , Australia, New Zealand , South Africa ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yep. Only 7 teams in the world play this rugby. Britain's Lyons is one of the teams...

Lads, ye could try harder, but do any of you know where the bitterness comes from? Is it a perceived class complex, or a sporting complex or do you just see other people enjoying a sport and get cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Born in an English town where it was all about rugby. Zero interest in Rugby Union, in fact the one sport I don't mind seeing England lose in, to anybody. Probably actively dislike it tbh, but it is incredibly easy to avoid coverage if you want to. If people enjoy it, good luck to them it, doesn't adversely effect me, and each to their own.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

We are decent at rugby , but its a bit fake as shag all countrys play it. And have never been to even a world cup semi

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its not all that unusual that come world cup time we're not one of the best four countries in the world.

Even next year, when we should have a good chance, the top 4, ranked teams are on one side of the draw with the highest ranked team on the other side 5th in the world. So immediately we're at a disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

Yeah tbf its probably not to shocking we havent gotten to a semi. I think a big world cup run is probably whats missing taking the popularity of rugby to next level. Id be a casual fan and am bored of 6 nations at this stage. Format is crap as well if you lose the first match its over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not bitterness, it's just wondering why such a niche sport gets such a high profile.

Any what the media and rugby fans are actually thinking when they buy into this idea that it's on a par with GAA and soccer when it comes to public interest.

Core rugby support is primarily a narrow selection of people in Dublin, a narrow selection of people in Limerick, and a narrow selection of one community in NI.

After that you have marginal support, people who like to watch the big games on TV, or young people who make it an excuse to go to the pub.

The former will go to and have internet in games outside the big ones, but the latter won't.

And as for it's reach globally there may be 20 teams in a RWC but you know as well as I do that only 8 are really competitive, the rest are filler.

Advertisement