Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have most people become anti social?

• 05-04-2022 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think an awful lot of people have become very anti social and socially awkward and I think it is a result of the pandemic.

Have a look around your local town and people walking around, a huge amount walk with their heads down, meekly walking from A to B.

I have customers who will chat away with me but when you see them another time they have the head down, or hide behind their mask, it is weird.

I saw a customer in a supermarket, mask on, hi I said, she looked at me like I was about to attack her and kept walking wtf?

Like they chat away with you but wont even wave when you salute them driving past, they look at you like you are a complete stranger. it blows my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, plus the war in Ukraine and inflation and fuel worries not helping at all. Hopefully things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

There is something comforting about this change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You mean unsocial?

Anti social is spraying graffiti, mugging old people and joyriding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its more to do with the advent mobile phones than the pandemic I think. People think being social on-line replaces real world interaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don't want to talk to anyone with my mask on. People are getting used to social distancing it. ll be years to get back to normal by the way people are still getting covid, making small talk is not a big priority for most people I want to buy items leave the shop as soon as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Because of the pandemic OP?

More to do with broadband and mobile phones.

It's getting worse with time and I think will only speed up with Work From Home.

Don't know what the answer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

About time! People need to mind their own business and stop gossiping. Since I turned unsocial, it's great not having to pretend to be ok because the person who asked doesn't actually want to know if you're having a bad time. It's fantastic not having to find excuses to go to things. And it's even better knowing that some people hate the fact that i'm unsocial.

I get the feeling people need to talk about everyone else in order to make themselves feel better in some way. And I want no part of that. Now, if only people could remember you don't need to stand in my back pocket in a queue, that'd be A1.

Not everyone is a social creature. And people fear others who don't do the usual marriage, mortgage, kids craic. To me, it seems people are re-evaluating what they need to be happy, and a large social circle of "friends" is not a requirement.

And technology + social media draining people of their brain cells is also a big cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

WALL-E is frighteningly familiar already. People are literally going around with their heads buried in their screens, surrounded by people but not noticing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You would wonder if, for whatever reason, their devices stopped working tomorrow just temporarily, how a lot of younger adults would cope.

I don't see an answer to it that wouldn't be draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

Its cool , whats on my phone is more interesting than some random plonker who wants to talk about the weather

• Advertisement

The answer is to let people behave however they like.

"walking meekly from a to b"

what kind of nonsense is this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭j2

How does the war in Ukraine make people here less sociable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anti-social is the new euphemism for acting the scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The word is asocial not unsocial. that means something very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

What a load of bollocks thread to wake up to.

We're all individuals, and as such can have our own reasons for how we act. That's what makes the human race unique.

For you to try and define those reasons simply because they don't fit in with your ideals of "normal", is being the definitive busybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It just seems pathetic to me. They seem to have no confidence in themselves, they look like they are about to burst into tears. The kind of people who just moan about their problems but don't do anything about them.

• Asocial has become associated with asocials, so is ambigious, unsociable or insociable is better.

• Advertisement

unsociable means something completely different to asocial. I'm not sure insocial is even a word.

• None of which I said and I used insociable which is certainly a word - google it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ive definitely noticed it in my job. Literally everyone, not just younger people, spend their break and lunch buried in their phones with only a brief pause to put food and drink in their mouths before returning to the screen. Nobody wants to talk anymore, and the odd thing is its just accepted as a social norm. You sit down opposite someone, take out your phones and stay that way until one or both of you leaves. No awkwardness or uncomfortable vibes, just 2 people spending their break on a phone.

Personally, after spending so long in front of a screen in work, i dont want to spend my free time staring at one. And i could never get an hour out of a phone. I check headlines, email, maybe a whatsapp and im done. What are people actually looking at that consumes their time?? Any of my friends are working so i cant have long whatsapp with them during working hours..

so we agree that unsocial is not the correct term? Insociable seems archaic. Asocial is a perfectly cromulent word to describe somebody who avoids social interaction.

• Asocials is a term that's commonly used for people that engage in anti-social behaviour (it also has a dark history), so asocial is ambiguous, a better choice would be unsociable or insociable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This is the biggest waffle post i've ever read

It says a lot and simultaneously, says absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Go back to sleep. You can dream of things you don't understand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

@Potential-Monke It's fantastic not having to find excuses to go to things. And it's even better knowing that some people hate the fact that i'm unsocial.

Pretending you can't go somewhere because you're afraid of Covid hasn't worked as an excuse since January. Covid is over... unless you're an unvaccinated 70+ year old.

"Covid is over..."

Ah right, I must let the in-laws know, they'll be delighted having recently tested positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People don't give a sh*t. All most people want to do is just keep to themselves or their social circle. Which is fair enough.

I do agree it's bad when someone can't respond to being greeted. But people are also ignorant c**ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

im exactly the same since covid… just now socially responsible…

if I bump into anyone I’m acquainted with, a friendly greeting and get on with what I’m doing. You can do it in a manner that emphasises you are being friendly with them ….but cognisant of the health situation…

people who wouldn’t respond if greeted ? They’d get a pass first time it happened but if it’s ongoing, nahhhh good luck…

there is a fella I know gone a bit like that, I’m a client of a business where he was promoted in a while back… he was always great craic, now he walks around with a stick up his arse, saw him Saturday and it’s a case of him only acknowledging you if you acknowledge him first…. and it’s a simple, hi, how are you….Weirdo…

Who said anything about covid? I was unsociable (I Googled, that's the one that fits me) before covid, the people in my actual friend group know what I'm like and understand why I'm like this. I'm too different to most people in most ways, so I don't bother trying to pretend to be someone I'm not, or interested in crap I've no interest in (sport, fashion, current affairs, weather, everything else people use as smalltalk). If someone invites me and I genuinely don't want to go, I just say no thanks. I don't make excuses. What covid has done, is make some people understand that and not pressure or insist, and no requirement on the reason why. Not everyone though. No means no.

I mainly don't go to things because a: I no longer drink, and no longer suffer putting up with people who are drinking (they all get annoying eventually), and b: I can't/don't want to do smalltalk. Simples.

a huge amount walk proceeding from doing CHORE A to doing CHORE B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is the wrong place to ask about this sort of thing imho. Place is filled with social recluses who turn to technology for their fix

• Advertisement

Ubbquittious, Ph.D., Psy.D., Me.D., L.P.C.C., Master of Invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm not surprised people don't want to talk to you if they don't havt to.

But by "doing something" about your own problems, are you referring to this revolutionary whinge thread, or are you planning to redouble your efforts in talking to people who don't find you interesting?

Boards has been indeed blighted!My most profound, unconditional and deep apologies good sir!! I will keep my opinion to my paper diary from hereon in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have most people become anti social?

It's more a case that people just don't know HOW to be social.

Nobody talks to their neighbours. Nobody will even acknowledge the existence of the person immediately beside them. Offices are deserts of any kind of humanity. People are afraid of broaching any kind of subject. Everyone under 30 is glued to the bleedin phones when they're "alone" for 20 seconds.

It's fucking tragic.

Aside from the phone part, that sounds glorious! We know how to be social, we just choose not to be, for many reasons, but mainly for me because it's pointless small-talk/gossiping. I spent 9 years living in another county, moved back home a few years ago and most people I worked with, lived beside or was social with haven't reached out since. Yes, it's a two way street, but we all know at the end of the day unless people are part of your daily life, they move on quick.

And I also love that people have no idea what I'm like because I keep to myself, but I'm also aware that if people don't know, they make stuff up. I leave the room when family come to visit, because all they do is talk about people. We've a neighbour who keeps to himself, and the stories people do be saying about him, just because he's unsocial. I want no part of that life. Add in that I'm not a fan of sports, drinking and fashion, so I can't relate to most people and have given up trying. I got sick of having to change me to suit others and be part of this social life.

But I do agree the dependency on phones for younger people is a problem. Social media is to blame there, and it won't change until social media changes, which it won't, because money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

@Potential-Monke you lived aboard for 9 years. You were also a Garda. Your timeliness are all over the place. You need to remember your lies. On the plus side you've a good imagination. Maybe a career as a fiction writer might suit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

What’s pathetic exactly? My wife is a psychiatric nurse and the mental well-being of people is this country is one of the biggest fallouts from Covid. The mental health services were struggling to cope before March 2020 and is on the verge of collapse at this stage.

Anxiety and depression are serious issues that have become more apparent over the last few years and it’s gotten worse with Covid. People are struggling very badly and the help just isn’t there for them. To call people pathetic for no real reason is a bit much. I struggle badly with anxiety, have done for many years and in a weird way the lockdowns over the last couple of years were a god send for me. If I’m having a bad day where I’m not feeling 100%, not having to make small talk with people when I’m just not feeling ok is fantastic. I worry about absolutely everything and it’s a horrible way to be but I can’t do much about it bar going down the medication/counselling route. I’ve tried both and neither have helped.

I’ve had people fall out with me because I’m not feeling up to going for a few pints or not wanting to go to a certain place or event. The lack of understanding towards people with mental health issues in Ireland is astounding. People just don’t see the signs or refuse to believe that someone might be struggling. To someone I meet in the street, I look fine and I act fine. But inside I’m in absolute turmoil most of the time and it’s a struggle to hold things together sometimes. Thing about that the next time you label someone as being “pathetic” for the reasons you’ve stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I dont think all the people I am talking about with the heads down have mental problems, do they? maybe, if they do we are in serious trouble.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My favourite part of the pandemic was not being recognised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Years ago we needed to be part of a social group to survive. You needed the people around you to bring in the harvest, bring the boat up from the shore or to fight off outsiders with bad intentions. Light social interactions were are way to reinforce these groups.

Some people were asocial because of geography. Years ago a sheep farmer in rural Mayo might not speak to anyone for days.

I think we are more social these days. The internet and the global village has brought people closer together. It's easier to find like minded people rather than having no choice and being stuck with a bunch of people you don't click with. We are being social right now interacting on this forum.

The people "stuck on their phones" are probably happily interacting with their friends on social media. They are happy not to have to rely on some random people at work or on the bus to interact with.

People who complain about asocial people usually have issues themselves around friendship and bonding. Just like people who complain about being bored are usually boring as fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Years ago a sheep farmer in rural Mayo might not speak to anyone for days.

Still happens every year around September. They usually go round in a huff not speaking to anyone for a week after the All-Ireland for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I avoid social interaction like the plague and always have done as it has never felt natural to me. I am not officially diagnosed as an Autist but I view myself as one anyway as I can't imagine what else that would cause my mind to behave in such ways for as long as I can remember. Normies were crying during lockdown for having to isolate for a few weeks. I can go months without a conversation which shows you how different I am to normies. I wonder if I am the same species as them.

People say that isolation is bad for you but as far as I'm concerned the severe anxiety I feel around humans is worse for my health than isolation. This is why I wonder if the welfare system force me to get a job then the long term anxiety at work will cause death before I am 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

I couldn't give a flying feck what mood people are in or whether they're friendly today or odd tomorrow. FCK em , why bother observing people's moods. Just stick with your own kin and people with a similar world view. I stay out of debates about religion, current affairs, gender, equality,social justice, war, covid, conservatives, liberals all a bunch of people who like arguing on the internet etc it attracts bans and infractions....

The conspirators are another bunch of wackers too, as well as the people entertaining them.

Observing people's moods is only important if it effects people around them potentially putting yourself o others in danger or they're going to harm themselves.

F#@& em leave them off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is a lot of truth in that. You can live your life now only interacting with websites and robots, you don't need the people around you anymore. But the people stuck on their phones are probably doomscrolling and soaking up mass produced "entertainment"

• Advertisement
Advertisement