Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mobile crematoriums are been fired up in Mauripol, obviously to avoid another Bucha pr incident, https://mobile.twitter.com/irgarner/status/1511397836063232000

Pretty crazy propaganda piece above, I really don't get what your angle is here, their was obviously fu*&kry on both sides since 2014, but what Russia have escalated the situation into, isn't going to lead to a ukrianian civil war, they are in a existential fight for their sovereignty and in the process saving Europe from Putin trying to annex a few more ex-soviet territories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Suckler

If your house was on fire, would you stand there wondering what water damage would result from actually fighting the fire?

People are losing their lives, those that survived are potentially irrevocably damaged & have a bleak future for the most part. Your pseudo arguments of "what about the other side" is clearly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

People are losing their lives

Correct.

But your anology is a bit ridiculous.

The correct anology would be using petrol to extinguish the fire in this case.

Adding fire to the fire, then complaing about the damage fire causes.

Can you explain how weapons will save lives?

The opportunity for the West to save lives in this conflict was back in 2014, nip it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Suckler

Twisting a simple analogy really doesn't help that argument; for your assumption that sending weapons would be akin to adding petrol; do you think Ukrainian army retreating would ease their plight......? No, that is ridiculous.

Agree 2014 Crimea was the time to address it but that was 2014 and now we are in 2022, so it's irrelevant.

Strengthening Ukrainian defense and their ability to push back the Russian army will save Ukrainian civilians, cities, infrastructure and futures. Unless you think having them blaze through Ukraine unabated will save lives?

Ukraine should be sent every single weapon they can use today, guns, ammunition, anti tank weapons, artillery, armoured vehicles, tanks, aircraft. They should have personnel sent abroad to train in the more practical advanced western systems.

Your thinking leads us to a situation where russia get's another "frozen conflict" and time to regroup and re-equip their armed forces. putrid needs to lose in Ukraine, not a draw or ceasefire, a clear undeniable loss on the battlefield and politically. The only way that can happen is for Western nations to arm and equip Ukrainian armed forces. That is the only way to have peace with a criminal, through force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I think Ukraine should have nukes.

Yes a mad statement but why is ok for Putin to have them. They need them to make the playing field level. Then give Putin 3 days to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How do you see it ending so?

Do nato join and lead to ww3 plus nuclear war?

Do we turn off the gas and try to drag the Russian economy down with the European?

Does Ukraine drive Russia from the country?

Or do they get locked into a war that they don't have the power to win, lose massive amounts of lives and have an economy damaged beyond repair?

Or is some sort of surrender deal done with Putin?

Or is there another option I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

That all comes at a cost. Not sure the benefits outweigh those costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

The only benefit from this will be if Putin is stopped. If not there will be war in Europe until he is. Sooner or later he will have to show his nuke hand. If it is the end of the world then we all die together. If it is anything like the rest of his army it's the end of Russia. Best case scenario is the west arm Ukraine to the teeth and kick his arse back into the Kremlin. You mightn't like it buts that's the only way. Peace talks and surrender will only encourage him to go again. I understand Germany's reluctance as they are the closest to the Nukes but they also have the defense systems.

Turn off the Oil and Gas :- I'd rather put on a few extra layers of clothes and do a bit of Car pooling with my neighbours than have people being slaughtered. I think the politicians are under estimating peoples willingness to forgo. If people were given the chance they would cope and do so gladly knowing it would bring the War to an end.

The economy will survive, along with every other free economy

War costs money and without it Putins reign of Terror will come to and end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Anyone else bemused about the support of Ukraine. From Charlie Birds flag planting to endless media adulation of Ukrainian resistance.

But when it’s comes to Palestine, every country cowers in the corner.

If countries stood up to occupation in all forms, these wars would be lessened.

The world reacted in horror at the civilian murders in Bucha but we’re in silence about the civilians killed in Gaza. I wouldn’t advise folks to look at the civilian casualties ( aka collateral damage ) of the invasion of Iraq either.

I just don’t get it. Well I kinda do. Manufacturing sympathy for Ukraine is easy, so much harder with Palestine.

All occupations/invasions are equal but some are more equal than others.

Post edited by YellowRattle on

Turn off the Oil and Gas :- I'd rather put on a few extra layers of clothes and do a bit of Car pooling with my neighbours than have people being slaughtered.

Have you already turned off the heating and started hitch hiking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone else wondering at the lack of indignance from quarters to the slaughter, rape and destruction of Ukraine.

Seems to be a lack of empathy these days in some people.

Yellow rattle the above is a ploy from pro Russian activists to turn a blind eye to what is happening in ukraine. You've fallen for it.

They'll call people rasicts then if you haven't stuck a Palestine flag years before now. Still a Russian plan.

The whole planet should be calling out Russia but instead they fall for the minutae and Russia carries on killing.

Kerry Group seem to be pulling its business out of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is what's happening in the areas that were controlled by Russians.

According to you we shouldn't be sending weapons to help Ukrainians stop this happening all over their country. Can you explain how your approach helps prevent this?

Knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing comes to mind regarding that statement. A dictator has invaded a nation that wasn't threatening him, massacred it's civilians, destroyed it's infrastructure, has been on a rant for decades how Ukraine doesn't deserve to exist. There's only one way to deal with a bad actor such as that, a shot in the back of the head - as his own forces are so fond of giving.

If Europe needs to source gas and oil from alternative sources then we are going see a bigger spike in energy prices.

Imagine the price of transport, heating and fertiliser then. Add this to the commitment to abolish coal use in general. You would imagine this will lead to hardship in Europe granted no where near as much as in Ukraine but will the population at large endure it?

For Russia to back down they will either need to be a peace settlement, a mass revolt by the people of Russia or else Ukraine will need air power to offer air support and to drive back Russian tanks etc.

At this stage the popular uprising in Russia seems to be the best hope.

It is a very good point on Israel and on wars in general. We will never see sanctions on Israel or Saudi Arabia etc and they are involved in delivering serious amounts of misery.

According to you we shouldn't be sending weapons to help Ukrainians stop this happening all over their country

Have you ever actually argued the point being made?

Or in this case I asked a question, and that was how weapons save lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Kerryy Group took their time.

What do you think about India's opportunistic purchases of Russian oil and gas? Funny, I haven't seen much condemnation.

Danone the French company are still there. Big time.

The Irish companies have more of a conscious.

You've condemned India there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

There are enough weapons in the west to sort this out. Putin and Russia are rogue. They need to be demilitarized, otherwise we will never have a peaceful minute.

They have threatened the Baltic countries, Poland and have threatened Bosnia with the same treatment as Ukraine.

Remember too that Russia was the main backer and supplier of arms to Radovan Karadzic and his army of thugs that laid siege to Sarajevo and carried out the massacre at Srebrenica.

Enough is enough and until Russia is no more, there won't be peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I addressed your question which was linked to your analogy. When they laid down weapons in places like Bucha, deaths kept occurring.

Regardless of whether or not countries sent them defensive weapons, the Ukrainians had already decided to fight. Considering they've defied the odds and held or pushed the invader back in key areas, every piece of artillery or tank they destroy, every Russian soldier they kill is one less than can be killing Ukrainians. The more weapons they have, the more of the Russian war machine can be destroyed, the more Russian morale is sapped. There are a lot of scenarios that could be playing out right now, and many are worse than the current in terms of loss of life.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

So you don't know 'how weapons save lives'.? You would like to be told? You would like it to be explained to you? How absurd.

If you're in a gunfight and you're unarmed, having a gun could/would make all the difference between you living and dying.

Escalate that to the actual situation in Ukraine where the preponderance of weapons are available to the murderous aggressors, arming the other side (the good guys) helps to balance the forces. Those weapons save Ukrainian lives. Which is the object of the exercise.

• Advertisement

Kingspan & Kerry Group, there may well be others, stuck it out in russia. Says a lot about them. I'd be very slow to mention anyone/entity and conscience in the same sentence while trading in or with russia with as much as we know to date. I thought it interesting they both pulled out before Zelensky addressed the Oireachtas this morning. I'm not a great believer in coincidences. They didn't want to get called out by name, Zelensky made reference to those doing business with russia and I have to wonder whether that part of his speech might have been slightly modified in the previous day or so.

Advertisement