Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFTs and gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No wonder he was missing from the episode of Play Watch Listen where they talk about how pointless and rubbish NFTs are in games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the worst cases of a self-cancellation I've seen.

It'd be tragic if it wasn't so stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you read the companies spiel it's very obvious they are jumping on NFT and haven't a clue what they are doing and no plan going forward other than to get shareholder funding and then probably **** off with the investor money. And then there's the 'promise' to move to a more environmentally friendly model which every NFT criminal organisation promises while knowingly not being able to deliver on it.

From looking at the tweets of Troy Baker and the company he's partnering with, it seems like they'll use AI to take voice actors work so you can essentially make your character say anything in the voice actor's voice, and the voice actor then gets royalties from the NFT too.

So Troy Baker, who pretty much voices everyone anyway, can sell his voices/performances out to companies who then don't need to hire actual voice actors. In particular, if they can't afford Troy Baker's actual VO fee, they can just get an AI NFT of him which he gets royalties of, instead of hiring a lesser-known VO performer.

For a man who prides his performance and acting so much, he's obviously never heard an AI try to replicate actual dialogue/speech.

Edit: Holy sh*t, this is from the company's website....

The Lore

On Ethyear 0, the Sun, which has supported and nurtured life on Earth for millennia, imploded and scorched the entirety of Milky Way with its fiery touches. Luckily, we had built colonies in other galaxies before our homeland was burnt to crisp.

Eons passed, and homo survivalis, or "Terrans", as we had come to be known, had lost the ability to not only speak, but produce any form of nonverbal noise from our windpipe. Laughter was gone in our lives. We had to guess how frustrated or sad someone was from their facial expression only. This was all due to the fact that we had become overly reliant on vision, consuming only images, gifs, and texts.

Abundance of visual display, from personal electronics to embedded screens in our eyes, led us to mistakenly construe audio an inefficient way of conveying and gathering information, which ultimately led to our vocal cords deteriorating completely over centuries. The same fate occurred in all races of humans across different universes.

Then on Ethyear 8,888 a group of 100 ethereal beings by the name of Alpha Centum, or "Centums", started appearing in various places.

They were omnipotent cosmic energies, spiritual beings that flowed from one galaxy to another beyond temporal or spatial limitations. They each possessed one authentic voice that demanded such respect and awe, as the world had long forgotten what “a real voice” was.

The Centums summoned 1,000 Cosmic Architects, or "Architects", to obey their beckonings: they were charged with creating new, and revitalizing old, planets, and to manage which Terrans were deserving of a voice of their own.

In return, Architects were awarded voices generated from mixing two pure Centum voices, while Terrans were given voices that were bred randomly from a multitude of voices. No one knew why Centums were here - but everyone knew that this was our only chance at recovering what made us, and our ancestors, truly human.

I can only pray and hope that it was an AI who wrote that garbage and not an actual human being...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I bet Netflix still wanna adapt it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Good god that is some woeful spiel, rich people are so terrified at missing on the next big thing they are throwing mud all over the place hoping something sticks. Loads of people will lap this up as well its bonkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I mean it annoys me but I get how people of twitter can be so ignorant of game development that they think you can just transplant assets in different games and engines.

When your whole company is based off of that ignorance then that's some next level grifting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of the NFT racket only really makes sense from the perspective of its advocates believing truly they will make all the money because ‘new technology’ and then having to make up reasons for why the technology is actually needed / useful after the fact.

The thing that gives me solace is that the wider online community consistently and definitively calls NFTs out as the shameless, useless grift that they are.

NFTs in gaming are like the world's dumbest version of Pass The Parcel. Whoever is left holding the NFT when the servers are shut off, loses.

Saw a tweet that they just recorded a new episode of Play Watch Listen with Troy discussing the tweets and the whole thing, so should be up tomorrow. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement

This is a long read that I'm saving for later, but some of you might be interested in this interview with Yanis Varoufakis, the former Greek finance minister who also worked for Valve at one point on their in-game digital economies.

Dan Olson’s new feature-length (!) video on NFTs and cryptos is superb: a clear, concise explainer of complex concepts and an absolutely stellar critique of the rot at the centre of the whole fad. Really gets at the lies or naivety behind the purported idealism of many crypto bros, and why ultimately it’s all just a financial death spiral.

A great bit of video journalism / essaying that is well worth carving out the time for, although you might want to take it in chunks :)

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

I just finished watching it. It's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

After 20 years of the internet, this was written. Bitcoin has been around for 12. The technology has evolved a great deal since its inception and it will continue to evolve.

Hype alert: Why cyberspace isn’t, and will never be, nirvana. (Newsweek, 1995)

After two decades online, I’m perplexed. It’s not that I haven’t had a gas of a good time on the Internet. I’ve met great people and even caught a hacker or two.But today, I’m uneasy about this most trendy and oversold community – the internet.

Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney. Do our computer pundits lack all common sense? The truth is no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.

Consider today’s online world. The Usenet, a worldwide bulletin board, allows anyone to post messages across the nation. Your word gets out, leapfrogging editors and publishers.

Every voice can be heard cheaply and instantly. The result? Every voice is heard. The cacophony more closely resembles citizens band radio, complete with handles, harassment, and anonymous threats. When most everyone shouts, few listen.

How about electronic publishing? Try reading a book on disc. At best, it’s an unpleasant chore: the myopic glow of a clunky computer replaces the friendly pages of a book.

And you can’t tote that laptop to the beach. Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we’ll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Internet. Uh, sure.

What the Internet hucksters won’t tell you is that the Internet is one big ocean of unedited data, without any pretense of completeness. Lacking editors, reviewers or critics, the Internet has become a wasteland of unfiltered data. You don’t know what to ignore and what’s worth reading.

Logged onto the World Wide Web, I hunt for the date of the Battle of Trafalgar. Hundreds of files show up, and it takes 15 minutes to unravel them–one’s a biography written by an eighth grader, the second is a computer game that doesn’t work and the third is an image of a London monument.

None answers my question, and my search is periodically interrupted by messages like, “Too many connections, try again later.”

Won’t the Internet be useful in governing? Internet addicts clamor for government reports. But when Andy Spano ran for county executive in Westchester County, N.Y., he put every press release and position paper onto a bulletin board. In that affluent county, with plenty of computer companies, how many voters logged in? Fewer than 30. Not a good omen.

Then there are those pushing computers into schools. We’re told that multimedia will make schoolwork easy and fun. Students will happily learn from animated characters while taught by expertly tailored software.

Who needs teachers when you’ve got computer-aided education? Bah.

These expensive toys are difficult to use in classrooms and require extensive teacher training. Sure, kids love video games–but think of your own experience: can you recall even one educational filmstrip of decades past? I’ll bet you remember the two or three great teachers who made a difference in your life.

Then there’s cyberbusiness. We’re promised instant catalog shopping–just point and click for great deals. We’ll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obsolete.

So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month?

Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet–which there isn’t–the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

What’s missing from this electronic wonderland? Human contact. Discount the fawning techno-burble about virtual communities. Computers and networks isolate us from one another. A network chat line is a limp substitute for meeting friends over coffee.

No interactive multimedia display comes close to the excitement of a live concert. And who’d prefer cybersex to the real thing?

While the Internet beckons brightly, seductively flashing an icon of knowledge-as-power, this nonplace lures us to surrender our time on earth. A poor substitute it is, this virtual reality where frustration is legion and where–in the holy names of Education and Progress–important aspects of human interactions are relentlessly devalued.

STOLL is the author of “Silicon Snake Oil–Second Thoughts on the Information Highway” to be published by Doubleday in April.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

Troy Baker cancels plans to sell his voice as an NFT

Not sure if he's backing out just because of the backlash he received, or if it's because Voiceverse started posting audio clips of their work and he realised he didn't want his voice to be associated with that sh*te.

Team 17 has become the latest company forced to backtrack and cancel a moronic NFT plan after being stupid enough to announce one.

I bring this up solely because a number of developers who worked with them released some gloriously blunt statements in response to the initial announcement. Fair play to all of them for speaking out.

The Aggro Crab statement in particular should be a template for any developers responding to this sort of horseshit.

Team 17 announced yesterday they're getting into NFTs.

Team 17 announced today they're now not getting into NFTs.

Games companies, save yourself the hassle of announcing you're no longer going to get into NFTs by simply just not trying to get into them in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's weird seeing desperate people touting these borderline scams just because they want to be trendy or think they're going to be rich just by knowing about them. I've a housemate who bangs on about investing in cryptocurrencies because her relatives are wealthy and yet she's still living in a houseshare years after ploughing money into them.

Specifically on gaming, how would a company make money? Would they just flog things like pictures of characters and bits of the soundtrack as NFT's?

If there's anything that encapsulates how pointlessly c*ntish this species can be so perfectly, it's NFT's.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It's a speculative market. They're hoping their NFTs take off and as people sell them amongst each other they will charge a transaction fee.

Of course wealth and growth are infinite and NFTs are the next Apple stick because they read about people getting rich in the tabloids so the value will only ever increase exponentially and people will keep trading them just like Pogs. They'll just keep skimming off the transactions fees and live in perpetual wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

The metaverse seems to be the latest trend in that regard-stories recently about how hundreds of millions have been spent to buy virtual space.

But again, all you’re actually buying an NFT tied to this ‘land’ so naturally you need crypto to buy it, and because it’s crypto it’s probably people selling land to themselves to hype up people into parting with their hard earned cash. It would be funny if it weren’t so depressing.

Besides, there’s only one metaverse dammit, and it’s used to steal peoples hearts!

I get the feeling it will be like second life where all the media and academics are excited about it and everyone else doesn't care.

A few months after Ubisoft introduced NFTs to Ghost Recon Breakpoint, they're now shutting down the game.

"You own a piece of the game and have left your mark in its history."

Translation: "Cheers for the money bud! We're making what you bought completely redundant, but you can buy another NFT in our next game and have absolutely zero effect on that game too!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gamestop are about to launch their NFT marketplace, which will attempt to make this far more mainstream.

Kind of hope it fails, as its only going to be used for a way to fleece people out of even more money. I can only imagine what 2K will do with this when they release their next series of sports games. And i say that as someone who owns some of the platform that its based on (Loopring), and will benefit if it works.

Great video posted by brianboru on AH about NFTs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They aren't shutting down the game, they are stopping making new content. It came out in 2019 so three years of new content and updates is pretty decent. From now on, it is just keeping the game online the same as they do with Wildlands.

• Advertisement

It's geared to be an online multiplayer game. Saying they're stopping new content or updates is the death-knell for the game. It means they're not interested in trying to grow it any further, get new players or provide anything new for existing players.

So while I'd agree 2.5 years (it released Oct 2019) of content and updates for a game that sold disappointingly at launch is good, it is also only 4 months after introducing NFTs into the game. NFTs which will now substantially reduce in value because support is ending for the game.

Ubisoft sold the NFTs, and then end support for the game. Probably because they only sold about $800 worth of NFTs in the first month.

Advertisement