Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

But they're not making poor financial decisions. They're making lots of money because they can sell what they do generate at the price of the most expensive/ most taxed fossil fuel energy generation under the EU marginal price policy . And they produce enough to make a very tidy profit for their shareholders. What more do they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I didn't say it was a conspiracy by big oil. I said it's a distraction. Distraction is the name of the game when it comes to preventing the transition away from fossil fuels.

It would be amazing if there was a breakthrough that offered unlimited cheap reliable fusion energy. but that's not very likely to come soon or even may never be possible.

We have technology now that we can implement today instead of delaying investment now in case a magic bullet arrives that makes those investments worthless at some point in the future

We're diving deep into the climate change denial talking points here 'Changed from global warming' Yeah, which is why the IPCC's name was secretly changed from IPGW

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so we should remain with fossil fuels, cause excess profits never occur with them?

They are not ignoring this at all. No matter how often you ignore the posts that talk about the different ways we can balance the grid

In a few years time, all of our frequency regulation will be done by batteries, Gas won't be needed for that at all.

The fossil fuel industry are running out of arguments against renewables, now that battery storage is competitive. the only thing they have left is long term reserves for those rare times when the wind isn't blowing across the entire continent and offshore territories, and green hydrogen is likely to be the sustainable solution to allow strategic reserves for this scenario.

• Advertisement

Because it was cheaper to dig up rocks and burn them (coal) and then later to pump out Oil and burn that, and then later to burn Gas

We can't do that anymore because

1. Coal is filthy and kills millions of people a year from illness
    2. Coal is very carbon intensive
    3. Oil and Gas are running out and essential reserves are controlled in regions run by despots and psychopaths
    4. Climate change is real so we can't keep using the atmosphere and oceans as dumping grounds for emissions from burning fossil fuels.

We could have started properly harnessing wind power decades ago, but, follow the money.

Wrong. You've got the ears by the donkey there.

At this moment in time ie Now - we simply don't have enough electricity generated by Solar or Wind on a regular basis for either method of generation to set the wholesale price of electricity. Which means the price right across the EU is currently determined by expensive fossil fuels simply because renewables remain an unreliable means of energy generation. As it stands fossil fuel energy generation is heavily taxed and penalised under the ETS system. Costs which are not applied to renewables, which are deemed to have zero costs as per EU energy policy. So regardless of whether 1% or 99.9% of our electricity is produced by renewables - our electricity costs are currently determined by the proportion which is generated by fossil fuels. We are effectively screwing ourselves and creating profits for energy generation companies.

It remains we need natural gas facilities to provide a safe, secure and reliable source of fuel for energy generation during the period of transition to renewables.

Marginal pricing

Today, the bloc's wholesale electricity market works on the basis of marginal pricing, also known as "pay-as-clear market". Under this system, all electricity producers – from fossils fuels to wind and solar – bid into the market and offer energy according to their production costs. The bidding starts from the cheapest resources – the renewables – and finish with the most expensive one – usually natural gas...

This "coupling" of electricity and gas prices has been criticised by several member states, chief among them France and Spain, who argue the final bill doesn't reflect the benefits of the green transition.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2021/10/28/why-europe-s-energy-prices-are-soaring-and-could-get-much-worse

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I did indeed read the article and I pointed out what you were attempting to skip over. It was decommissioned and scraped 6 years ago.

Your attempts at promoting tidal is nothing other than your scrambling to justify the proposed banning of LNG by the greens and your support for them to collapse the government if they do not get their way by coming up with an alternative source. It`s so transparent it`s laughable.

Nope. Didn't say that. Read again.

At this point in time, we have little choice but to use fossil fuels to facilitate consistent energy generation because the renewables we do have, simply are not a fully reliant means of energy generation by themselves

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying we should plug up the Moffatt pipeline while we still need it. I am saying that we should speed up the infrastructure changes we need so we no longer need that gas. as we bring these on stream, our requirements will decline year on year.

Building a LNG gas terminal or exploring for new gas offshore, won't solve any of those problems. We'll still need to transition away from gas.

Building a LNG gas terminal or exploring for new gas offshore, won't solve any of those problems. We'll still need to transition away from gas.

What it does is that it gives us a more secure and reliable source of natural gas for that period of transition to renewable energy generation and beyond.

We can't rely on Moffat because the UK gas fields are also near depletion. We have untapped reserves and we can build LNG terminals as per EU policy for the use of Natural gas as a transition fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I suppose it wouldn’t matter if it was oil as we can refine that oil reserve in whitegate.

However I wonder how many barrels of diesel do you get out of a barrel of oil?

Actually just googled it and found:

19 gallons of gasoline and 10 gallons of diesel fuel are produced from a barrel of crude oil by U.S. refiners.

I agree, I think we can see a lot of benefits economically from making this change. But but there will be a lot of push back from the legacy energy providers and the politics around how this is funded and how energy prices are handled will be interesting

Its always been a political battle, not a technological one

No I absolutely get that, and I am in agreement however I am struggling with the idea that we can depend on the Moffat line post 2025 when we will still require gas to keep the lights on.

Honestly I just don’t believe the UK would go without gas to allow gas come to us via Moffat if they are also in need of gas.

I know this sounds far fetched but if the wind is low in Ireland during the winter, the same applies in the UK, which means gas demand goes through the roof.

We do not have an alternative at present. As another poster pointed out when we have zero wind erecting more turbines is not going to change that.

Instead of actually recognising that we have the Irish Green party determined to prevent us having at least some autonomy until there is an alternative by banning exploration, attempting to ban LNG and ignoring Barryroe as if it does not exist. Ryan even refusing to meet with the people involved.

There is not going to be a magic leap from unreliable renewables to 100% reliable without the use of fossil fuels in the interim. It`s time for greens to recognise that. Even the country that was held up to us as the model to follow has now recognised that and is going back to what fossil fuel resources they have, coal, and I doubt they are going to continue to scale down their nuclear any further anytime soon either.

More details are here

The current minimum level of stock to be held by NORA for 2021 is

1,416,340 tonnes of refined product, and

70,000 tonnes of Crude Oil. 

This is equivalent to 90 days stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You mentioned LNG, nobody else. You clearly never read the article. It would seem nobody can add a post here without you having a rant at them.

I don't see it as a political battle at all. Its a case that there has never been more incentives for energy companies to invest in renewables and year on year the investment in renewables continues to increase .

The problem arises that we are still dependent on fossil fuels and in our case natural gas for the period of transition to renewable energy production and until viable storage or other means of backup becomes a reality.

I read the article, and I read your post.

Are you saying that you somehow believe that tidal energy is the answer to the potential shortfall we are looking at, and our E.U. none compliance on energy security due to Irish Green party legislation and proposed legislation, because if you are an example that was decommissioned and scrapped 6 years ago is bonkers imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You need a storage backup capable of 2 to 3 weeks supply, doubtful this can be supplied in that quantity, Unless you can come up with some sort of giant fidget spinner or electro- magnet ballast weight to keep wind turbines turning when there's no wind.

Government could go along way by insisting all companies in receipt of state grants have a third of their roofs covered in Solar panels even if they have to grant aid them

thanks for that da cor.

Looks like we’ve 88 days left now:

They released 2 days supply earlier in the month

RTE news : Ireland to release 222,000 barrels of oil from NORA

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0307/1284973-ireland-to-release-222-000-barrels-of-oil-from-nora/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

you’ll need to expand on that statement, how could we benefit from more CO2 in the air 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The article explained why it was decommissioned. By all means please continue to rant and rave about it, it’s quite amusing.

Anyway both link got provided just to

1. Guve advantages of tidal and disadvantages
    2. provide details of a successful project in ireland

Of course because renewable you have gone on some rampage against the information, no idea why.

Lol Broken. Are you still having a rant about 'ranting' :D

A small selection from previous:

"By all means please continue to rant and rave about it, it’s quite amusing."

It would seem nobody can add a post here without you having a rant at them."

"Might be an idea to stop ranting at everyone and listen to what others are saying"

"The condescending rant, we’ll do you think anyone cares? "

"This has been pointed out to you but you ignore and go on ranting."

"As I have said before we don’t need a 3 paragraph rant when I ask a question, can you answer the question or not?"

I know its your favourite stock answer. But flippin hell that's a helluva lot of ranting :)

Your post is all about thee hypothetical while ignoring the reality. Can you point to a single billing period in the last year where your electricity bill was lower due to wind.

Marginal pricing means that the wholesale price of electricity is determined by the price of the fossil fuel in the mix. Whether that is 10% or 50% it makes no difference. Fossil fuel plants are not turned off either, due to the possible drop in wind or solar.

I have absolutely no problem with reliable dependable renewables providing 100% clean energy to meet our needs, but just lumping up more wind turbines is not going to make the wind blow. When there is little or no wind, similar to this winter here and all over Europe for long stretches where the energy being supplied by wind was so low if we had increased our number of wind turbines by 1,000% it would still have been touch and go depending on wind.

Right now we need fossil fuels. There is no getting around that. Far as I am concerned at present we should be more concerned with some of the insanity from the Green Party on how and where we will do that, rather than worrying about a hypothetical future.

Absolutely nothing against renewables, but if you think tidal is going to be the answer to filling the gap that fossil fuels are at present, then you are just fooling yourself. It`s a fringe energy source and there are much better ways to spend money than in tidal.

The French have the second largest tidal energy plant in the world. They built it 58 years ago at todays prices of around 1 Billion and seeing better use for their money (nuclear) never went any further with tidal.

Our next door neighbours dabbled in it, but like the one you mentioned in Northern Ireland have since either shut down or scaled back any tidal plants they built. Tidal is not just a waste of time and money as a solution to filling the need for fossil fuels, it`s a waste of time and effort even discussing it.

Any chance of discussing a topic?

Nothing against renewable but spent the last 3 weeks dismissing every single one of them in favour of a LnG plant you didn’t even know was owned by a US company and will cost everyone millions and drive the cost of electricity up

You have no idea what is or not a waste of money

• Advertisement

people accused me of being extremist.

If you think I am exaggerating the problem or urgency. Here we have the Secretary General of the UN warning about an unlivable, planet and outright accusing governments and corporations of lying and calling for people to take to the streets and demand immediate action

Watch the video. It's only 5 minutes. Then consider which side of the argument you really are representing

Advertisement