Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Our government in waiting, SF, have been very quiet during all this. The only thing I remember from them was that they tidied up their servers to remove all the pro-Putin stuff under the pretense that it was slowing things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yep, I see them as another Farage or Arron Banks. What exactly is their connection to Russia and why are they defending the Putin regime so aggressively in the middle of a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think that it's time that the Irish people take mep elections a lot more seriously in the future, we are giving these clowns a platform to represent us in Europe and the world and yet they express the exact opposite views of the general consensus of the country they represent, it's an absolute failure of democracy that we have to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Same as the officers who lead them:

It seems Russia has an abundance of 'special' forces.

A tabloid has claimed that one of the soldiers has died from radiation poisoning, crediting the EPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Sadly probably the view of all too many ordinary Russians:-

Ukraine isn't a country, it's just a piece of land, Poland next...

FFS, the ordinary citizens of Russian are rightly brainwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

They have to hang on to their communists ideals somehow. Just shows how any wasters we have in this country that these clowns get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

The funny/sad thing is that if Putin wanted he could have 90% of the people who are for wiping Ukraine off the planet change their minds in a week or 2. They can steer things however they like. We saw with the cult in America how quickly people can change their views once they've given up thinking for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭rogber

Didn't they refuse to condemn the Crimea actions a few years ago? Alas, come the election, as long as they promise free everything, their many supporters, including the wonderful, idealistic and politicised youth of the country, will go out and vote for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Algeria has plenty of oil and gas, and is closer to EU than Russia, why not get the energy EU needs from them.

Diesel there is 0.20c a litre, which again makes no sense considering the price it is here. Algeria is only 150km from Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Orbán told a news conference that earlier on Wednesday he had invited Putin for peace talks in Hungary, to be held with the Ukrainian and French presidents as well as the German chancellor. He said that Putin’s response was “positive” but that the Russian president said this would have conditions. He's also all for blocking sanctions on Russian gas and oil and called it a red line for Hungary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe, or far more likely that we live in a democracy that functions pretty well, so we get to hear opinions we disagree with, even vehemently disagree with and sometimes those opinions are held by enough people to have politicians voted in. Russians, Belarusians and until not so long ago Ukrainians didn't have that privilege. For many of them they would be afraid of it and don't want it, because they;ve been told they don't. Ukrainians wanted what we have enough to march and get beaten, injured and even murdered in the street to fight for it. If Daly and PBP are the price we currently pay(our ancestors paid far more) for having that privilege it's a bloody cheap price to pay. They irritate the bejesus outa me, but I remember Wallace, Daly, PBP and their ilk are a sign we're doing something right.

Well, they did get sent off to Brussels so maybe the locals saw that as the best option. 😂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

In short, I think it's less that Wallace and Daly are pro-Russia, and more that they're trapped in this myopic crusade against the machinations of the EU and western hypocrisy. And in peace time, I'd let that go more readily, but not being able to temporarily drop that when Russia are looking to stop an entire European country from existing shows how far they have their heads up their asses.

If they were knowingly taking Russian money to stump up for Russia, I'd be surprised. Not ruling it out, but would be surprised. I don't think they possess the sophistication and poise to not be easily outed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

The ordinary citizens of Russia are brain dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, they did get sent off to Brussels so maybe the locals saw that as the best option. 

Euros can be funny that way. It's not quite the celebrity pageant of the presidential but they don't get a lot of tough questions and recent iterations have been used as a protest against government. How they behave is not new, they've been doing it for a pretty long time. We just don't see it that often anymore!

Wallace is there for the money to sort out his tax issues. He's also 66 so it's a last hurrah and he has that really grumpy old man thing down pat and doesn't give two hoots what anyone thinks of him. She's a good bit younger but hard to see what political future she might have. So if she's done she'll go down fighting, good Trotskyist that she is (Labour's description of her!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This chap nails it and nails it well. And we have Daly and Wallace...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

I didn't think the hysteria, hyperbole and paranoia in the COVID threads could be topped. But here we are!

We all have narratives we cling to, personal and cultural and national and it's rare enough we examine them. It's a very human thing. Autocrats hijack this very human thing and twist it to their advantage.

Verhofstadt hits all the nails on the head above. He was great to have in the Brexit negotiations as well, not too many **** projected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rumours? Vlad played it on the big screen in the hotel room in Moscow when he was videotaping me with the hookers just so I would last longer and he would be able to get even more footage of meself in action

It worked so well, and disgusted me so much, that I haven't been able to get the horn since. Never mind last longer on the night itself. Hence the reasons why they had to resort to peeing all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

She speaks as if she understands the geopolitics of this situation and her view is the ultimate analysis. I don't think anybody understands this situation, or what to do about it, with the omniclarity with which she has received from God knows where.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

I doubt even the Russians could stomach watching video of Wallace buried up to his balls in Daly. I'd rather dig a trench in Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Borodyanka looking very grim. Witnesses say people were told at gunpoint they couldn't search rubble for survivors or bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I don't think Maria Zakharova really believes a word she is saying. Likewise with Filatov.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

And all the simpletons here will still vote for them so we can go economically backwards at the same pace as Russia. Hell we may as well join Putins New USSR once they come to power. No need for anyone to work, we'll just survive on permanent PUP. Utopia for the masses. Annual holidays to Norilsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well, you know ,if you condemn the Ukrainians for defending themselves , you condemn the west for supplying them with weapons, you condemn Europe for introducing sanctions that are nearly as damaging for Europe as Russia ,what's left

Trust Russia ? Turn the other cheek ? It's bound to work !!

Maybe people before profit ( as long as they're not Ukrainian people ) have a better plan ? A chat and some ideaological discussion with Vlad the multi multi billionaire maybe ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The idea of Putin getting on a plane and meeting dozens of people when he won't even sit at a table with a few air hostesses is laughable. Hes a afraid of his own shadow. Won't be seen outside of Russia or in proximity to anyone for as long as he lives. He'll have to send virtual vlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I consider our hirarchical heritage to be one of our worst features*. We KNOW something is fcuked up, but we say "Ah well, that's how things are, mustn't grumble, who am I to question it, just keep opening those gas valves, those guys at the top surely know what they're doing and I'm not expert...".

My completely uninformed and unqualified take is, this is the result of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution where we get one guy to be chief monkey and what he says, goes. Follow orders or bonk bonk on the head. And that's how we have war and genocide. We are still a primitve and savage ape that has learnt a few neat tricks, but in the end we are savages. I will fight this point to the end.

*and our willingness to believe the Earth is flat. How TF did we ever survive to this day? Has to be nothing but dumb luck and brute force.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I get the feeling there are a lot of seriously compromised politicians across the EU member states. Wexford's finest and Claire Daly included in that.

And evidently PBP members.

Journalists need to dig hard on this. There is something there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement