Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not expecting to get anything today I’d have started Sanson over Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Really poor performance so far.

1 down already. Arsenal bossing us.

Buendia Watkins and Coutinho can’t get in the game

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's so narrow for Villa. Can't get out of their own half. Arsenal have the middle boxed off so and there's no outlet down the wing bar Cash who's no support. Young is done I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Another absolute dogsh*t half of football. I hate that we got rid of Targett so easy - Young has no place in a premier league team. He’s getting murdered for pace over and over again.

Can’t understand why we’ve gone back to one up top either. Playing against a team that hugs the touchline like Arsenal is not a time to go narrow. One defeat and he throws away all the progress made in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

We need Sanson on for Ramsey before he gets a second yellow and Ings on for Buendia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Playing Ramsey so deep is a problem. He's a great lad but he's not suitable for defensive midfield.

The big problem is the lack of width I think.

As clever and cute as Coutinho and Buendia are, they lack any pace at all, they also need pace to play off them, we lack it big time. In reality I think it's either or, rather than starting both.

Bailey probably the only player we have with that blistering pace and he's rarely fit and generally won't be on the pitch the same time as both Coutinho and Buendia.

Ramsey is making so many mistakes

• Advertisement

Coutinho worst game today.

Luiz and McGinn at nothing too. Ramsey sloppy and badly needs a rest.

Ollie Wasteful Watkins just offers zilch, really hope he's sold in the summer as he's not good enough for a mid table side.

Ashley Young starting as your LB says it all.

I'm disappointed in Gerrard again, between this and the West Ham game, no positives from either and late use of subs again.

At the moment we are a mid table team we can’t compete with teams in the top 10 the inconsistency and inability to put in a good performance for 90 minutes needs to be addressed. Hopefully SG can do this in the summer by bringing in better quality players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

At the moment Villa are 9th in the table, so they can compete with the top 10. It's the top 8 that's hard break into.

I honestly thought Villa had a relegation fight earlier in the season, so the position right now is a relief.

I'd like to see the form table since Gerrard took over, I'd say Villa are right up near top 6?

The squad and manager are doing OK IMO, I'd like to see how they do with a full season under Gerrard

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

2nd half was a bit better but that was due to Arsenal sitting back more than anything. No front line pressing from Villa. One thing I noticed it that anytime Young was in a great position and a Villa midfielder has a pass to him, they looked and decided against...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Saw some links to Kalvin Phillips for 60m this morning. He’s exactly the kind of midfielder we need but not sure he’s worth 60m.

Deffo not worth that money, what's his contract situation like?

Hopefully getting rid of two from McGinn/Luiz/Sanson would fund the majority of that transfer fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think a lot of those links were "If Leeds go down" type of things. I don't think he would leave and go to a team that isn't in Europe if Leeds are still in the premiership, especially since he became established in the England starting 11.

At least we are being linked to the right type of players in the right position though. Wouldn't be surprised if Sanson left given how highly rated he was when we signed him and he still can't get a game plus we will surely be looking to bring in another CM (well DM, like the Phillips linked example).

Not liking all the links I am seeing of Carney leaving though. He still hasn't signed a new deal and it was Dortmund and Arsenal I saw him linked to who no doubt will be tempting.

Watkins and Mings scored for England tonight as did McGinn for Scotland.

Sanson and Bailey start.

No Ings on the bench.

• Advertisement

2 down after 30 mins, Digne gone off after 13 mins, Young replaces him and scores an own goal.

Shocking decision from Gerrard to allow Targett go on loan back on January and be content with Young as back up to Digne.

I would expect a major player overhaul this summer, including 2 from Mings, McGinn and Watkins to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Out of those 3 McGinn would be my preference to stay. It's always good to have someone that operates as the engine of the team, I felt Milner filled this role well in the past too.

I tend to agree about keeping McGinn based on him always playing out of position, but I don't want him starting.

Mings is 29 and I think it's time to sell him on as he's limited with the ball at his feet.

Watkins missed two 1 on 1s before scoring a penalty. With the system Gerrard wants to play, we need a striker who'll hold the ball up and bring others into play, a young Giroud would be the type.

Bar Martinez/Ramsey, it's really difficult to say who will start the first game next season. Digne seems to be injury prone too which is a concern.

Don’t think SG had any choice than to let Targett go he wanted first team football but at the moment Digne isn’t much of an upgrade.

Dire performance today a continuation of the West Ham and Arsenal games.

can’t complain too much about SG as he’s kept us out of a relegation battle but if we’ve aspirations to progress and we’re playing like this this time next year I’d be concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Interesting summer ahead.

Stevie g threw the team under the bus after the game in interview i saw.

Said if they cant play to standard he wants , he will get players that will.

He is not without blame in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s like watching the same game every week. Absolute shite in the first half, go a couple of goals behind and then start playing when it’s too late.

Yes I just re-read a comment I made after the West Ham game and it could have been about yesterday’s match. Going in two down at half time wasn’t the issue for me it was just that with the exception of the first 5 minutes our performance was dreadful and you just knew we wouldn’t get back into the game. The one thing that stood out yesterday was the amount of times we conceded possession.

Also once they were two goals up the dynamic of the game changes, Wolves made us look better as they were content to sit back and counter attack.

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Someone may be able to help me here. Had tickets to match vs Liverpool in a few weeks. Game now postponed due to Liverpool in FA cup tie. Anyone know do i need to request refund? Worried that reschedule match will be mid week and wont be able to go.

Thought club would cancel tickets but very lax in communication about it

They don’t usually cancel tickets the ticket you have should be valid for the rescheduled date. If you definitely can’t go I’d apply for a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Cheers...might just hold off until they announce the rescheduled date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

matty cash signs new deal

rules out him getting sold it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Going over for the game on Saturday. Anyone any idea what Birmingham Airport is like in terms of queues ? Is it anything like Dublin ?

Was over for the Arsenal match, flew over the Friday night and there were only two buses serving the apron so we were on the plane for 40 mins after landing waiting for a lift.

Security queues Sunday morning was busy but not mad. Should be fine the standard 90 mins before take off time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Thanks. Coming back on the 21.55 flight after the game. Head straight to the airport after the game.

If your getting the train Just be careful leaving the game (kick off 17.30) as the queues at Aston & Witton station have got worse now we’re sold out every game, I’ve waited up to an hour and don’t bother with the train anymore.

Consider bus back to Bham new st train station or taxi direct to airport cost about £30.

I flew back 3 weeks ago queue through security at Bham airport was about 40 minutes

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Advertisement

Strong rumours season ticket prices will increase by 30% for next season.

I understand prices have been reasonable the last number of years, big increase if true.

My season ticket went up by £264 last season to about £625 I did change from a restricted view seat but this should only account for about £40 the person next to me his went from £400 to £615 last year. They stopped doing the early bird discount last year which was a good saving the explanation given was because of Covid but it hasn’t been offered this season.

ultimately I think £625 is ok for a PL season ticket but it is a bit underhand the way they go about it. ‘Monetising’ the fans was the phrase used. Unlike the Championship when they closed the upper tier of the Trinity Road stand for most of the season I think the attitude is that if I don’t want a season ticket there’s currently 20,000 that do.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Ings and Watkins start again.

The usual 3 in midfield.

Disappointed at the lack of changes, I feel we've tried this approach several times and it hasn't worked in the past.

Spurs have a great record against us.

Not feeling optimistic about this one.

Jaysus our finishing is shocking.

Ings looks shocking, not sharp at all. Creating loads in this game and somehow behind.

Edit; Ings actually looks like he’s carrying timber

Post edited by fullstop on

• Advertisement

Ings hasn't been a good signing.

Another “opportunistic “ signing like Digne and Coutinho. I worry that we’re deviating too far from an actual strategy.

Coutinho is great but he’s in danger of turning us back into a side that’s dependent on star player. When he’s poor, we’re poor. Really holding back Buendia too.

Watkins has gone backwards since Ings arrived. All the farting around trying to figure out how to play them together destroyed his confidence. The way things are going I can see him being shown the door next year, which is a shame.

Digne was struggling long before Benitez arrived. Genuinely feel if we’d kept Targett as competition he’d have raised his game and kept Digne out of the team.

And now there’s talk of Suarez in the summer. It’s all going a bit too Everton for my liking.

Bring back Dean Smith. Atrocious

Embarrassing, far too many lads on the beach already.

Hopefully it's the final nail in the coffin for many of them as far as Gerrard is concerned. McGinn, Watkins and Mings have had their time, move them on.

I won't be bothered if Coutinho moves on, he's holding back Buendia. Bailey and Ings have been some waste of money.

Disappointed with Konsa, expected more from him this season.

I’m completely unimpressed with Gerrard. He’s had enough games to make an impact but apart from a dead cat bounce there’s been nothing. 4-0 down before he makes a sub and then it’s just like for like. He’s way out of his depth and all this talk of buying his way out of trouble is deeply concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The problem with this is, Gerrard got it right today. Villa were the better team today (until it came to actually converting the chances) and had a higher quantity and quality of chances, but Spurs were clinical and took their chances extremely well, whereas Spurs were extremely wasteful.

The score line made for awful viewing and there have been a number of days where Gerrard has gotten it horribly wrong but today was not one of these. You don’t often lose 4-0 and have your opponent have an inferior xG of less than 1. Freakshow of a game caused largely by Son being absolutely class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He should have come in and concentrated on the defence. Even if that made us a boring team. I know we don't have a top class DM but the team can be setup in a disciplined way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It is mostly the DM thing though. This team looked very solid with Nakamba playing there. Douglas Luiz just isn’t one. The decision to go without Luiz and play Sanson and McGinn against Wolves was insanity though.

Ramsey is being flogged to death and obviously needs a break, which isn't happening, that's mind-blowing to me.

There's more than enough coaches around, in fact too many, maybe that's the problem and he needs to cut down on the entourage and have quality over quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

In a very minor piece of good news, Keinan continues to impress at forest and scored against Birmingham yesterday. Judging by Forest fans reaction there’ll be a riot if they don’t sign him permanently.

Archer also scored two on the bounce for Preston… maybe we let the wrong two strikers leave. 😄

• Advertisement
Advertisement