Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

In fairness, eCars have had the opportunity for years to improve the situation & we've seen how well they've done.

Can Applegreen do any worse? They'll invariably do better & given charging costs are close to 50c/kWh now, at a minimum, & with thousands of new EVs appearing on the roads here, there'll be profit in it.

I see it as a good move.

When CircleK start putting resources in here, things will start to move more quickly. Well, as quickly as ESBN allow grid connections/upgrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is the point where we'd need government to step in and tell Applegreen to sh1t or get off the pot.

Which will absolutely never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Yes and as mentioned anyone who charges at a train station while in work. Short delay could cost €8.

Night time charging is not incentivised and should be due to electricity's lower carbon intensity at night. Subscribers should be allowed avail of a low cost night rate. Folks without home charger using 50kW DC during peak periods won't reduce the country's CO2 emissions as much as night charging on average.

Oh and PHEVs can stay for ten hours guilt free :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just make sure you are not actively charging longer than 10 hours and you'll be fine. The overstay fee is only applied if you are actively charging... not plugged in and not charging... longer than the threshold. Assuming it's implemented the same way as the existing DC one is.

What car would even take 10 hours on AC. The only ones I can think of are the likes of big battery OEM cars with 7kW onboard chargers. Early Kona, EQC both had battery and only 7 kW onboard charger. Oh... and the 30kWh leaf came with a 3.3kW as standard.

Unless you have one of those, it's likely that you wont be hit by this overstay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Unless you have one of those, it's likely that you wont be hit by this overstay.

The likely impact will be people overnight charging on AC, if I use an AC charger at 9pm, I either need to move the car at 1am or by 7am. It would change my charging behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

What % of Electricity for charging do ESB Claim to have come from renewables.......as someone said elsewhere, the sun or the wind havn't become more expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

30kWh Leaf takes less than 10hrs to fully charge, will also be ~10%+ degradation by now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

On a whole, the last 30 days has been 39% renewables.

• Advertisement

If you start at 9pm and finish 8 hours later at 5am and move the car at 10am, you wont be hit with the overstay fee. The overstay fees for ecars only apply if the car is actively charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Are we sure about that, if so ecars has made a mistake as no car will take 10hrs to charge so no overstay fee. They must have some way of knowing car is still plugged in on AC - if so that is how they can charge the overstay fee. If not then the €8 on AC is null and void as will never happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Energy prices are largely dictated by the price of the last MWh, the wholesale market gets paid based on the most expensive supplier for the time interval.

This is based on how their software works. Its the same on DC. I can never be charged the overstay fee on DC as on a 50kW our only current EV (an Ioniq28) takes 30-35 minutes from 0% to full. (94% where it shuts off on DC). I tested this at a services late at night when no one was around. Stayed plugged in not charging until 51 minutes but no overstay. The connector shows as available in the app if someone is plugged in but not charging. It does the same for AC. Hence why I say this overstay fee will likely never be charged on AC and it's just posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@ELM327 - but the Ioniq actually disconnects from the DC charger at 94%, so it looks to the ESB software (correctly) like the car is no longer connected. Even though of course the car is still taking up the parking space. Which they can not check. If you leave a car AC charging, it is still connected (whether you are actually charging or not) and you will get the overcharge fee. Unless of course if you physically disconnect the cable

No it doesnt. If you approach an ioniq28 on the default settings without the key you cannot remove the ccs connector if charging is finished. Both my Ioniqs behaved in this way. I also observed similar behavior on the app for other cars on DC that were plugged in but not charging - the app showed as available even though you could not remove the plug physically. Most CCS cars lock the cable to the car if the car is locked - as part of the type2 prototocl. Zoe is the same, it's plugged in not charging on fastAC, the app will show as available even though you cannot remove the plug from the car.

The only time you can for sure remove a plug from a car that is plugged in not charging is on Chademo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

Double chargers will be far less busy per charger than single sites. At gorey it makes no financial sense as some business will go to ionity even if they have 2 chargers. Financially they would be better on other sites with less competition like sites without Tesla and ionity, but grid then may be an issue. They could load share with existing supply if the charger has the feature. I think esb also want matching government funding or similar, they don't want to go providing more at their own expense. They may be disorganised and incompetent too. Not providing a backup AC charger on the M1 motorway services when cabling is in place is really giving the 2 fingers up to users. It's probably one of the busiest sites in the country. Even easygo have said double 50kW+ chargers don't make financial sense at most sites. I would be happy to pay a premium at such sites

My ioniq 28kWh unlocks the CCS connector at 94% no matter the setting on the car, as far as I remember. I normally disconnect before then, but the ioniq stops charging at 94% on CCS chargers and unplugs. Other cars are different.

After 45 minutes your car was probably charging very slowly. You can see sometimes on cars display the rate of charging, on some esb chargers you can see the rate on a meter near the ground on side of charger. The charger may be capable of 50kW and you may have been charging at 10kW or less. From your and ESBs point of view encouraging you to leave and come back when you can take full 50kW another day makes sense. If you need full 100% for some strange reason an AC charger would be better use of resources and at some sites there are AC chargers nearby or next to charger or even an AC socket built in.

In terms of your time charging from 10% to 80% that's efficient of your time, you could be in and out in 30 minutes depending on car. Having queued for others to finish charging I put value on a fee for those who charge to 100% when they should possibly move on from their own point of view. My ioniq won't even let me charge above 94% on a CCS charger.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ecars API used to show units as CHARGING and OCCUPIED (among other statuses for available and different levels of unavailability). OCCUPIED is when you're plugged in and not charging. I've not looked in a while, but it now looks like they're no longer reporting that status of OCCUPIED.

ELM, if you know the date, time and unit you were using I can check its status while you were plugged in (during and after you stopped charging). Should be in your ecars charging history.

They've also "rebranded" all the 150kW+ units as ULTRA_FAST. 20 of those now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

With no home charger (work charging is possible) and an LFP battery that is recommended to charge to 100% rather than 80% it makes more sense for me and the longevity of the battery to charge to 100% rather than drive off and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Your best best in that scenario would be to do the 100% charges on an AC unit at 11kW, as the 80%-100% on a DC charger could take 30+ minutes on top of the time it took to get to 80% (assuming using an ESB DC charger with 45 minute overstay penalty).

On Ionity or Tesla, you can knock your self out and stay charging as long as you are actually charging....

I'm not sure if the LFP batteries are the same as the NCA, but on mine (NCA), when you get to 100%, it can still be 'charging' for an additional 30 minutes or so as teh pack balances itself. So going all the way to the top on ESB DC is pretty much a non runner.

This is not what happens on either of our ioniqs. Past one was a 171 which we sold in 2019 and the current one is a 172 bought in Q2 last year.

I went back in the app and unfortunately the two sessions I wanted you to look at arent there. I had an overnight stay where I parked the first Ioniq at an AC point overnight and it completed charging 6 hours before I collected it the next morning. The second was the plugged in not charging on DC. I have no data before Dec 2019 in my app.

I'm in the (un)fortunate position where we currently have to use the public network quite a lot. I will try to test the DC part again. More difficult these days as the chargers are often in use even at 4-6am.

I'm also going to check the unlock or not of CCS at the end of the session when the car is locked.

If I'm demonstrated wrong with proof on anything I'll happily accept it as learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have noticed that the LFP battery will continue taking 40kW even when over 90% full, doesn't take long to get to the 100%

Please do check @ELM327. I no longer have my Ioniq, so can't double check, but I'm near certain that the car unlocks the cable when it hits 94%. You can even hear the clunk if you're not paying attention, I used it often as my cue for getting out, sticking the CCS cable back into the EFACEC and driving off with yet another free full charge 😁

Now that is sweet. Long LiFe the LiFePo4 batteries 😁 wish all EVs would move to them.

Oh it does that absolutely. It only unlocks at end of charge if the car is open and/or the key is in range and/or the car is switched on by the "ignition"

If you approach a strangers Ioniq (or almost all CCS cars) which is abandoned and not charging you wont be able to remove the plug.

Ha! I was presuming everyone behaves as they should and stay with their cars for a fast charge :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not sure if they would suit the big battery poor drag cars. Suits the Model 3 and probably cars like the original Ioniq (If there was room for it)

Advertisement