Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mrtweed

i got a customs letter from an post asking for vat and admin fee for an item from the uk but they also delivered the item at the same time. what happens if i dont pay the fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

VAT, if applicable, is due on any amount, no minimum (Maybe less than €1 to be collected). If there isn't VAT they would refund it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bottled water attracts VAT at the standard rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

How do you know that it comes from Germany? Maybe it's sold on .de website but comes from outside the EU. Plenty of .ie websites shipping from UK, for instance... Another reason could be that the item is manufactured in outside the EU, hasn't been modified of changed in the EU, just shipped in the EU. In such cases import tax could be due to certain items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

I don't want to start another similar post, so hope it is alright to post here.

I received an invoice from ANPost for customs duty on 16th March and paid it the same day. Tracking shows the Customs charge is paid.

But I am still awaiting delivery of the small parcel/package( it only contains tap & die so small and light ) .

AnPost tell me there was a massive delay St. Patricks week and parcels are being held up for 2-3 weeks. It sound like more AnPost bull ****. I wonder if other people have experienced delays in receiving parcels since St Patricks day?

And who is responsible if the item does not turn up. The item was clearly delivered into AnPost/Customs so it is not the seller. I am paying AnPost to clear customs. Does that make me the 'customer' in regards to any complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭PreCocious

I'm in a similar sort of boat.

Two items (from the same company) arrived into Dublin at the weekend and I was sent customs demands for them by email and paper. One of the items was delivered on Monday without me doing anything. I paid for the second item on Tuesday but it's still showing as stuck up in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

I dont know what the hell is going on with an post, still waiting for 3 items & no sign whatsoever, they take weeks to answer an email and simply demand a tracking number, which i dont have as they were all sent normal post. I never had this sort of problem in the past, its baffling i mean they must be somewhere, they cant be sitting in a warehouse for months on end, im now thinking they have been swiped by someone in an post, they surely must have been. They are looking closely as items coming in from the uk and swipe the ones they like, that is my suspicion at the moment anyway. All the little crappy ebay stuff under 20 euro is getting flagged and payment demanded but my 3 parcels worth 100 euro plus each nowhere to be seen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Value of €100 and sent via ordinary post? Not tracked and insured? Not surprised they can’t find 3 parcels in the millions that they get in, TBH.

They are also sending back parcels sent from outside the EU for months for not having correct declarations completed.

My 3 have not been sent back either, they are gone

• Advertisement

I know the people who sent the items & they all had senders address on them

They can take ages to send parcels back and now apparently a lot of staff missing with covid, so it may be sitting in a cage waiting to be sent. They have also managed to send people the demand for VAT and charges and STILL sent it back. Depending on where it originated, it can take months to get back to the sender, as mine did to Australia. And mine was tracked.

Bloody hell!!!!

I've never had an issue with items not arriving before, actually i dont think ive ever had one not arrive, so thats pretty damn good, but things have changed now, for me anyway, maybe i just got very unlucky with my 3, so there is still hope for my items, good i dont mind waiting if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How do you avoid An Post?? Why does a package sent by another company end up with those incompetent people ?

Was that ever a thing before brexit,?? Item bought in Uk, BUT it originated outside EU, so custom duty needs paying. Don't think so. Every piece of clothing and electronics ect was made out side EU, always came in with no customs if you bought it online from UK or EU before brexit

• Why did it show on my ebay receipt from uk vat collected at rate of 23% on behalf of local authorities ???

you avoid An Post by paying much more for a courier like DHL or Fedex.

because if you buy something from the UK you are obliged to pay Irish VAT and that VAT remitted to irish revenue. That may be at point of sale in your case or when the parcel arrives in ireland.

So my vat is paid then? And no customs as it was under 150. So no excuse not to delivery, yet here I am,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That all depends on how the seller filled out the import forms and how they're dealing with the VAT. They are the one's to get on to and they decided who the carrier was.

Royal Mail was carrier, they said they send to ireland all the time with no issues, that they know what they're doing.

You know Royal Mail hand over to An Post and An Post are only acting as Customs direct them? What did the seller put on the import forms and are they set up for paying Irish VAT and Duty?

Listen mate I don't lie and I resent you saying otherwise. It's individual parcels we're talking about. Thousands come through with no problems every day. You've seen the declarations on the parcels we're referring to here, have you? Of course you haven't. You haven't the foggiest idea why these particular items are not delivered.

As for other countries: Good luck getting a parcel delivered promptly in France any time in the past year - it's a disaster zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

My Parcel received today 4/04/2022. The time line as follows

9/03/2022 ordered placed

11/03/2022 received in an Post

16/03/2022 Invoice for VAT received and Piad

17/03/2022 3/04/2022 (18 days) - sits in an Post warehouse somewhere

4/04/2022 delivered to me

This is truly appalling service from an Post. They say it is down to absent staff. Yet, instead of dealing with the backlog as a priority, they continue to accept parcels fro delivery within Ireland leaving parcels they already have sitting for 18 days in limbo. If they cannot cope then the proper thing to do is refuse additional items until they clear the backlog.

I imagine Revenue are getting tired of it too. An Post continue to blame Revenue, suggesting the parcels are with "Costoms" when in fact the items never leave an Post 'care'.

@Jim_Hodge As for other countries: Good luck getting a parcel delivered promptly in France any time in the past year - it's a disaster zone.

A small club/business in UK ran a test to see what charges were applied within the EU in different countries. Relevant to this discussion, the parcels arrived to their destination in France and in Sweden in 8 days ( later Feb) ( in both cases VAT was charged correctly by the relevant countries). Of course this is anecdotal, they might have been lucky, but they have no complaints of delays from those EU countries.

Sadly, an Post are failing in their role as agent for the Revenue.

The new automated system is being brought in for all postal carriers, I can't remember if it is late this year, or March/April next year. Problem seems to be that An Post jumped the gun completely by introducing it at least a year early, and other postal services in UK, USA, Australia, Japan etc weren't aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does anybody know how long an item takes to be delivered once vat and handling have been paid to an post?

I stupidly ordered from a site that I thought was shipping from within the EU, but I think it came from UK. I paid the VAT and handling as soon as I got it, a few days ago, but no sign of the item yet. I was hoping it would be here today when I got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I got my CD the following day after paying the VAT to An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ordered an item from Ebay UK which was shipped via Ebay's Global Shipping Programme

Disadvantages

Higher shipping cost than normal

Forced to pay VAT upfront

Advantages

Package is delivered as opposed to being rejected

Advertisement