Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallace and Daly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

As

Sure look at lowry and calleary. They got voted in time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

tax cheating by a public rep is a shameful act but until they side with a megalomanic war criminal by pushing his agenda Wallace is by some degree the worst ive ever met from wexford , and i know some right cnuts from wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can you imagine? And we have posters on here who see that as being bullying worse than being a group of male thugs imprisoning a woman in her car for two hours shouting obscene protests at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Daly was on a fair oul rant today over in Brussels, you know its bad when Matt Cooper asked Paul Murphy to comment on what she said after the clip was played and even he admitted he wasn't sure what she was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some absolute waffle from Daly yet again, dressed like a teenager who is pissed off at her folks for not letting her go to the Green Day concert.

Both these clowns, I hope people remember the vile garbage coming from their mouths during all of this next time they vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Her speech was wonderful true humanitarian. Unfortunately, her speech will be sidelined by the reptilians.

Today was a good day, as it was the start of the end of Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Paul Murphy, Brid Smith, Richard Boyd Barrett, and even poor auld Gino. They believe in their ideology, and that ideology is the reason they are a blip in popular support.

Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Gino should stick to the fight to legalise the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I don't know, RBB being followed on Twitter by Gigi Hadid last week and I received a vid of Clare Daly's speech from a non-Irish friend yesterday saying how right she is. I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly got stuck, going to have to be very careful what kind of conversations I have with them from now on. Your "start of the end" is someone else's "gaining traction". So sick of conspiracy theorists, all kinds of deniers, pro-Putin shills etc and there are more of them every day because both sides are toxic at the inner edge of their extremities.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

Clare Daly is right. Sanctions only effect the poor to a significant degree. Sure some yachts and investments seized off the rich but they aren't going hungry and can holiday in China, Dubai (and Israel ) We had a decade of sanctions in Iraq and it only harmed the normal people of Iraq. Some of her critics have short or non existent memories.

Since half the world will continue to trade with Russia , the only serious impact sanctions will have is on us in Europe. Russia will sell its natural resources to other and the grains , fertilizer etc...

Why? All for a geopolitical row between elites and hyper wealthy? Europe is being led by the nose by warmongers in the USA who have ties to the big corporate entitles within the military industrial complex.

As always with war the poor die so the rich can divide the assets and not one of the rich will have a scratch .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think you went wrong at "why?"

The answer is nothing to do with elites. Russia invaded a sovereign nation and continues to wage a war against civilians, murdering them in their homes. We are applying sanctions as a non escalating resistance to these war crimes. The Russians may well sell some of their product elsewhere but there will be less demand, therefore they will get a lower price and make less profit. This is seen as a better alternative to engaging them in physical conventional war, far from being warmongers. There is some kind of dissonance going on here, in that you want to protect global trade and corporate profits from sanctions so that eu citizens can have a better lifestyle at the expense of poorer ukrainians who are murdered in their own country. Would you prefer full military conflict with russia? Allow genocide to proceed in Ukraine and leave Russia unchallenged? Or accept the impact of sanctions?

Excellent response.

It seems the likes of Clare Daly want to allow the Russians to kill as many Ukrainians as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The useful idiots always end up on the side of unrestricted free trade in a round about way.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The sanctions on Iraq caused poverty, but also severely damaged & degraded Saddam's military (as emerged during & then after Iraq invasion).

Therefore they restricted his ability to do any more adventuring or invading post Gulf War 1, and hobbled Iraq's ability to develop & manufacture those infamous "WMDs".

They do the same to North Korea today where despite I'm sure spending an unholy % of all the resources they have on the military (including their nuclear programme) given the poverty of the country, if they tried any conventional attack on S. Korea or Japan, they would not have a prayer.

In the same vein as Madeleine Albright ...the dead kids were worth it . wow.

the correct reasoning saddam and iraq were pretty bollocked after the iran/iraq war....and who supported him then... rumsfeld and co.

a good reply but in a sense misguided.

If Ukraine under the current leadership hadn't courted NATO and the west then this probably won't have happened.

I don't know what the true answer is - Im no warhawk of the rumfeld type so i'd try avoid war - but doing something (sanctions) isn't always better than doing nothing. Send Macron to Putin again to do whatever diplomacy they do.

It's a fair point to say I'm protecting global trade and maybe I am - but my end point is our population who haven't a hand in the fight.

Ultimately if we ( I mean Eu not necessarily Ireland) didn't outsource half our needs to far away places (and occasional enemies like China) we could be somewhat self reliant but we aren't. Another days discussion,.

an whopper response of your own - its' as if the whole sanction thing is stopping this....which it's not. Not mind putting words in Dalys mouth that she never said.

Its amazing how the public (and our politicians/media too) can champion something even if it doesn't have the desired effect and we all know this. Sanction may bite but not for a long time.. sure it makes the public feel good to impose sanctions and steal a few yachts but the sum effect is near fcuk all to those we are targeting.

the less than elite will feel this a lot more. that's dalys point and my agreement. nothing of the type typed about - not you @joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

@foxsake Why the "Wow"?

You said "Clare Daly is right. Sanctions only effect the poor to a significant degree."

Clare Daly is wrong. You were also wrong, in that those Iraq sanctions did remove Saddam's ability to rebuild his military after the US coalition destroyed it during the 1st Gulf war. They were able to invade a smaller neighbour after Iran-Iraq war so they were not "bolloxed". Similar argument applies to N. Korea and Iran, big armies and modern weapons needed to go about invading others are very expensive, take alot of resources. Even more to put them to use in waging a war rather than have them sit there.

I didn't pass comment on morality/correctness of those particular sanctions but I think the EU/US etc. sanctioning Russia now, or even putting a complete trade embargo on it later (as regards trade with the EU/US) when they are able to do that is justified, given its policies (you know, the whole unfortunate effort at conquering a democratic neighbour that did nothing to them and trying to wipe it from the map, oh and the brutal tactics they are using in their war as well).

Those opposing the actions are in effect supporting Russia/Putin here IMO, esp. if they have some political power and voice like an MEP does (even if that is limited).

You are now bringing up more irrelevant stuff (Rumsfeld and US foreign policy), why I do not know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Ukraine under the current leadership hadn't courted NATO and the west then this probably won't have happened.

🙄 Utter fantasy. Indeed, if Ukraine had stayed under the implicit control of Russia and happily been led towards puppet status then they wouldn't have been invaded. How tempting.

There is no reason for the West to continue trading with a nation that is bringing war to their doorstep. Why should they have a normal relationship with Russia? Half the damage of the sanctions was happening voluntarily anyway - the import of oil from Russia has shuddered to close to a halt without any actual bans yet in place. Maersk stopped shipment of all but essentials to Russia without any ban in place.

It's also hard to avoid war when someone else invades your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Keep it country folks....

Much of the European Parliament’s resolution is important and necessary. It correctly condemns the invasion and calls for humanitarian support for Ukraine and Ukrainian refugees. These are terms we wholeheartedly supported. Contrary to claims we voted “against condemning Russian aggression,” we did in fact vote for these clauses, during the votes on amendments. Check the record.

But the resolution also calls to accelerate provision of military equipment and weapons to Ukraine, to strengthen NATO’s forward presence, to further increase defence spending, and to activate European common and joint defence efforts “in order to strengthen the European pillar within NATO.” It also, opportunistically, calls for throwing open the European energy market to fracked liquefied natural gas (LNG) from the United States. Our political group, the Left, sought to remove these elements from the resolution, but the majority in the European Parliament fought to keep them. We had to vote on the text as a whole, which included these calls. Our vote was not against condemning Russian aggression. It was against flooding Ukraine with weapons. It was against a retaliatory spiral of military escalation, endangering all of Europe. It was against cynically exploiting a invasion of Ukraine to advance the interests of the fossil fuel industry during a climate crisis, endangering the whole planet.

Dismissing Daly getting harrassed because of how she votes kinda pisses all over a colleague calling someone an 'effin ejit' being a bridge too far. But then that's complete hypocrisy for you.

No point in criticism based on blarney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, they are happy to condemn the invasion but want absolutely nothing done to actually aid Ukraine in fighting it. They want to say "this is bad but Ukraine should now roll over and accept it". Its pathetic.

We had a theme going based on made up stuff, but yeah they seem to be away with the faries.

You have summed up Daly very neatly there. Pretending to support Ukraine while not wanting anyone to raise a hand to help them. To be fair to her though, herself, Wallace, PBP and RBB have stuck to their guns on this which shows a certain amount of principle, no matter how misguided that is. Others have run away, pretending they never said things on the public record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Brid Smith is no better. Heard her yesterday on radio saying sanctions against Israel was good because the palastinians asked for them against their oppressors even though they affected ordinary Israelis while Ukraine asking for them against Russia was wrong because it was inflicting hardship in Russians.

I thought this couldn't be just made up but I'm not convinced in her case

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

courted nato...ffs they are an independent nation.

whats your solution if no sanctions and no aid? like Daly you have nothing i'd imagine.

talking of elites while a popularly supported Russian president is murdering women and children ..ffs

If people like you existed in 1939 the World was fucked. thankfully there was less platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is it. Daly and Wallace offer mealy mouthed condemnations that clearly pains them to deliver, but the meat on the bone is offering military aid to Ukraine so that it may survive, and sanctions to Russia to limit their ability to wage this war - and Wallace and Daly want nothing to do with it.

The condemnations are only offered up reluctantly because they'd be completely snookered otherwise.

As the Germans say, they are classic Putinverstehers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

The person above arguing sanctions are the wrong move also opened their statement with the classic from the Daly/Murphy/Wallace playbook.

"But...NATO!"

It's time to live in the here and now and stop given oxygen to this utter uninformed, willfully misleading nonsense. I suppose next it'll be Finland's fault if they're invaded for wanting, as a sovereign country, to join NATO as well.

No, couldn't possibly be solely the fault of archaic dictator-led Russia, which is still operating from the Stalin handbook and is pushing terrified, independent countries towards the alliance due to its sickening war-mongering and blatant disregard for morals, ethics, or law.

Anyway, so it's no to arms for Ukraine. No to support for Ukraine. Yet, also no to sanctions on Russia.

So...what's the solution then?

I mean, I know they argue "diplomacy is the way forward" but how could one seriously say that with a straight face with talking about Vladimir Putin, the man who's said Ukraine shouldn't exist and is deliberately targeting civilians and destroying infrastructure, having invaded with zero justification in the first instance.

Effectively what they are saying is, Ukraine should just accept defeat and allow Putin to erase their national identify, and purge their country of anything and anyone he deems a threat, in so far as a threat to a dictator of his ilk could include anyone with formal education like schoolteachers and doctors.

Also, sanctions are absolutely the correct way forward. As the noose tightens on the Russian economy and ability to import vital materials for the war effort plummets, they cannot keep their war machine going indefinitely and will have to find a way out sooner rather than later.

Putin does not care about ordinary people. He only cares about what he wants. If there were no sanctions he would just keep going until Ukraine is a wasteland like Chechyna was. Precisely because there is international support including hefty sanctions, he literally is already incapable of doing this and he cannot win.

Also, please for the love of god I wish people would stop saying "but sanctions didn't stop North Korea" or wherever else. OK? In what sense? It certainly has curtailed them severely and certainly stopped them being nations capable of waging aggressive war outside their own borders.

North Korea, Iraq, wherever. Severe sanctions don't have to actually cause revolution to achieve the desired effect, not sure why some people use this as a yardstick of success.

Likewise, elites remaining wealthy and owning yachts or whatever other irrelevant examples get thrown around means absolutely nothing in terms of how effective sanctions are.

I'm sure Kim Jong Un lives in a palace, has a fleet of super-cars, eats steak every night and sleeps in silk sheets....his country is still a medieval-level backwater with a military that's about 7 decades out of date.....not to mention, training and maintenance of same is awful or non existant.

We see it already with Russia. $60bn a year yet look how shoddy their leadership, training, doctrine and equipment are. North Korea spends $1.5bn a year despite having one of the biggest armies in the world. You can imagine what that looks like, in reality, in terms of actual combat capability.

Anyone who tries to claim sanctions achieve nothing against Russia is either willfully sowing misinformation or just innocently ignorant.

Anyone who argues diplomacy alone is the only way forward with Putin is either living on another planet altogether, or is actually expressing an opinion that Ukraine should roll over and allow itself to be purged and gutted ala the Nazi and Soviet approach to creating greater states.

Private profits, the economy (where it suits private profits) and using Russian fuels far outweigh any dead or raped children we might see on the news. The world is not doing enough to help Ukraine. If they were a wee starlet in Africa it wouldn't even be news.

Putin figured we'd be all mouth and no trousers and he was right.

If he thought invading Ukraine would result in western intervention he would have thought twice but we sat on our hands when he took crimea so we are were we are.

• Advertisement

Advertisement