Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

That’s not going to work, Russia invaded Ukraine and is in the wrong. However, there is no way Russia will be demilitarised without immense suffering and a long war.

The best solution is for Russian people to demand an end to the war or less likely peace talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Let the US and it's larger NATO allies deal with providing weapons. As was mentioned previously, the time when they could have prevented this conflict was a long time back. Ireland should continue to offer all the humanitarian support it can provide. 

Our long-held neutrality should be maintained. What's more, being seen to change our stance at a time when we we are on the UN Security Council is very very <insert-word-based-on-your-level-of-intelligence-here> ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How do we benchmark this conflict against others to decide if people are acting more hysterical than at other times in the past?

Obviously one Ukrainian life is worth far more than an asian, black, muslim or south American life.

But what is the multiplier to be used?

5x, 10x, 50x?

Or does it vary with the exact comparison? So maybe one Ukrainian is equal to 10 Asians and 50 muslims...

Genuine question.

There is a certain amount of hysteria around all this (not saying that it's not awful that there is conflict going on) and hysteria is more likely to escalate things further than actually solve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I expected nothing less from you yose.

Mick Wallace came out with that spiel two, three weeks ago on the local radio.

Where did he get that from?

It wasn't himself it was direct from Moscow.

What else did he say?

He said giving Ukraine arms will result in carnage. He said Russia will win this war. He was wrong on that. Since they tried to march on kyiv and liquidate the government literally.

He said this is war between Russia and nato. Nato haven't entered the war.

He said they should have talks with putin instead of fighting back. There's talks everyday. Even ambromovich got poisoned by the Kremlin for his troubles.

He said the Russian soldiers are boys just being sent to do their duty. Their duty seemingly was to rape women and children, pillage, steal, execute civilians in villages and burn their bodies, eat their dogs.

He said putin is wrong but taking arms against putin is not the answer.

Oh and he had that spiel of calling anyone a racist that helps Ukraine.

Completely toxic stuff..

All coming direct from the Kremlin.

Then I've come to realise yose is Russians see no harm in barbarity as long as it benefits their bottom line and mother Russia. The whole world sees what they are now.

Even the nazi Russians and followers can't bury this in this day and age especially like they do with media in their own nazi state.

Nazis still think their immune from harm. But they've phucked their country by taking this action.

Answer the question...

We are quite happy to leave others get away with crimes, so why is this any different?

Is anyone really calling for China to be treated in the same way as Russia for what they are doing to the uyghers?

What about the middle east or Africa?

Western countries are also guilty of crimes but it's cute when we do it... It's ok for anyone else to do it as long as they have stuff we need and are not Russia.

If we were actually going to war with everyone who broke the rules, this would be fine because everyone would think twice about breaking the rules then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

So it's easy for you to go up on the high moral ground and look down on people now because they are outraged at what is happening, but for one it's on Europe's doorstep, it's being carried out by the largest and most savage regime that the world has not seen since the Nazi's. Number two is it's live and in real time being broadcast to the world which never happened before.

Yes lot of wrongs around the world. I think it is getting worse. The days of the people being able to up rise and overthrow there own governments is over. We seen this in Hong Kong. These Authoritarianism regimes have become expert in controlling and keeping everyone in check. There is no voice of opposition in China, Russia or in any other place you mentioned, they just get "taken care of".

The greatest victory Russia will have is indifference from the world.

It's no argument Yose.

It's schoolyard nonsense. They'll use that to justify their war crimes.

Which I have yet to see you condemn on here.

That's answered. Nazi agents want indifference.

And while we p1ss about with Russia we put ourselves in an even weaker position to stop China breaking the rules which is a threat much greater than Russia ever could be.

All the while the west encourages many southern countries to align with China.

America is probably the country with the most blood on it's hands by far since the end of ww2. Between active war, destabilising countries and supplying terrorists. Millions of deaths and ruined lives because of them. But Russia is the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Can't see the woods from the trees. The Russians have gone in levelled towns shot civilians raped and plundered all in front of them on a scale not seen before but you compare it every wrong in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

yosemitesam

You are actually spouting an awful lot of drivel. In some countries we can do little. As Chinese people become more Educated the chance of democratic revolution rises. The problem with Hong Kong is back 200+years ago the British demanded a lease not a purchase.

The principles of democracy are strong in the West. Russia, China and a lot of other countries do not have those principles. Countries that believe in democracy should always support other democracies where possible and as much as possible.

Ukraine was always going to fight to remain independent of Russia. Putin did not want a strong independent successful democratic Ukraine which his people could look and attain. His other fear is such a country would draw the younger Russian population away and accelerate the failure of the state. As well there is a perception of racism involved. The white ethnic Russian population is declining while the Asian russian population is stable or increasing. The invasion of Ukraine was as much a population grab as a resources and land grab.

In reality it had nothing to do with NATO or the west no matter what rubbish your or some of you fellow travellers such as Mick and Claire spout

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

TBh Bass your in no position to accuse others of spouting drivel.

Yosemitesam posed a few very uncomfortable questions, all the while acknowledging the horrors the Ukranian people are suffering.

The foundation of your argument was "in some countries we can do little".

How is that an acceptable stance?

Bought by who?

Hungary and Serbia would be nearly one. The only thing preventing them being Russian is Ukraine between them and Russia.

The pro Russian former president had €40 million spent on his campaign. The last one. Zelensky was back on campaign spending compared to the two above him who were even more pro EU.

A bit of ould virtue signalling in the European Parliament, less talk, more doing.

I'd like to see which MEP's voted which way

https://twitter.com/StollmeyerEU/status/1512024642340405253?s=20&t=PXyxcEBkmndrGiae2UmB_g

No all we hear is about blood on US hands. Is there? The US are no saints. However 9/11 has a lot of that to answer for.

Jan I disagree fundamentally with you on this. In every and I mean every democracy there is vested interests funding campaigns. Is it imperfect ya. However we have failed to find another better system.

The thing about imperfect democracies is it still leaves it up to the ordinary voter to make that decision.

If they are fools enough to believe the promises of politicians then they all get the government they voted for in one form or another.

Where I have an issue is where ballot boxes are stuffed, opposition parties are suppressed and there leaders are jailed.

It took us as a state a hundred year to get to where we are. Still imperfect and flawed but as good a democracy as is out there.

I do not give two flying f@@ks how much money Zelenski spend to grt elected, he got elected and that is the fact. The test of a democrat is that he will not suppress opposition's( it's interesting that even the opposition refused to accept Russian overtures in Ukraine) and when he loses an election he will hand over power just as W T Cosgrave did 90ish years ago.

Putin fails that test.

Slava Ukrainii

What are the Dubs up to! Not one of them will sell the Russians a drop of home heating oil. The poor bastrads.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1511976676749713413

Where's the beast from the east when we need it.

It sounds like he was fairer than the rest.

Especially fairer than the pro Russian president before him who jailed any pro Europeans and face it disappeared people.

You can't align the Ukrainian people with what these scum in Russian uniforms and guns are doing to the people of Ukraine.

The country has to start somewhere and just as they were about to start, Russian forces invade and destroy the country and kill it's people.

I've said it before and it was in response to a post about civil war. The fairest way is shift out anyone that identifies themselves as Russian that are a threat to the state out of the country to Russia and let the Russians take care of them on Russian soil. Rather than the German ww2 nonsense of invading and annexing a country based on German people living there. Russia just copied the playbook. With same excuse. Shift them out, no annexation of Eastern and Southern areas to russia. No excuse then for further hostility down the line and no excuse for further annexations. Russia of course to pay all reparations for damage caused to the entire country. And made law to have a day of sorrow in Russia for it's aggression.

Wishful thinking but ..

I was thinking, maybe they might come as far as the Bog, I can't see the Dubs having any issue with letting them go and save there own Turf.

Eamon would frown upon it, perhaps they could wear an extra sweater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Just watched Ukrainian soldiers kill a captured Russian soldier.

Important to note that crimes are committed on both sides.

https://www.bbc.com/news/61025388

Interesting

"Throughout it all, we left the door open for Russia’s eventual membership in NATO, something I made clear to Yeltsin and later confirmed to his successor, Vladimir Putin."

"As Carl Bildt, the former Swedish prime minister and foreign minister, tweeted in December 2021, “It wasn’t NATO seeking to go East, it was former Soviet satellites and republics wishing to go West.”"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/04/bill-clinton-nato-expansion-ukraine/629499/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Clare and Mick must be getting their daily updates of this lovely chap

Is what I post worse than the fake news updates from twitter?

There seems to be little thought given to the end game of this conflict.

Hoping Putin gets a bullet in the head or for Ukraine to be able to drive Russia out seems to be as good as it gets.

Both are very unlikely.

The sanctions will have more impact on the common person in the eu over the coming year than they will on the common Russian person.

They are not going to convince Putin to retreat and apologise.

We could stop the gas and oil but there is a very big risk that we would hit our own economy and euro far harder than Russia.

We have no great strategy that will bring positive results for anyone especially the Ukrainians.

Some ground has to be given up to Putin even though that might be a hard pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they should definitely give hugs to the russians instead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Kiev was all but lost at the end of February to wasnt it? The next 10 days will tell alot, if the Russians mess up their new revised objectives to shore up Donbass/take Mauripol and get Odessa, they're f**ked to put it mildly unless putin uses chemical weapons our goes full-on tactical nukes

So what should the West do. Stop arming Ukraine. Allow Russia to take it over. Then Moldova next let the Russians waltz in as well. What about the Baltic states, Poland.Maybe give Taiwan to China.

I forgot where this happened before.et me think. Did this ever happen in history before and be successful. Did Japan stop at Manchuria. Would Mussolini have stopped after Ethiopia and Albania. Did Hitler stop at Austria, the Sudetenlands, would he have stopped after Poland.

Where do you suggest we draw the line

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Advertisement