Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos retracting refund

• 05-04-2022 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm new on this but any help would be really appreciated.

So I purchased a climbing dome on argos website on 3rd Feb, it was to be delivered to an address in England and a friend was forwarding it to me, as they would not deliver to Ireland or Northern Ireland. I was tracking the item on the UPS website and no activity was shown from the 16th Feb. I contacted Argos for weeks about this through phone, messenger and email and every time I was asked to wait 24/48 hours for them to contact the supplier. After a month they were still unable to contact the supplier so I then asked for a refund. They refused the refund as they stated they need to contact the supplier before issuing. At this point I was totally discusted with thier customer service or lack there of. I had to contact my bank to do a charge back, which was successful but on the same day the money came back into the account Argos emailed me to inform me that the refund was issued. Now fast forward until the 31st of March, Argos has now taken another payment of €304 out of my account! I have emailed them but have no reply. I'm not surprised, I asked numerous times to speak with a supervisor or manager with no luck. I've never been so annoyed at a company in all my life! The way they deal with customers is appalling. I just want my refund for the item I never received. Has anybody any experience in taking something like this to a small claims court as I see no other option at this point. I will never buy another thing of this company. Is there any hope of getting my money back?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the above sounds like you had a successful chargeback AND Argos refunded you the money, so you had the money returned twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Did Argos actually issue the refund or just email you to inform you that they had? IF they actually refunded you as well as the charge back going through, Then they had every right to charge you again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherine bmg

No, there was definitely only one refund amount that came back into the account on March 22nd. And it was taken back out on 31st March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherine bmg

No the amount was only returned to the account once, on March 22nd, and left it again on March 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Check the original transaction ON whatever app or online banking your bank uses, would guess that the original transaction was reversed by the chargeback and when then Argos refunded as a new transaction and then reversed that one.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi @Catherine bmg welcome to Boards. I have moved your query to the Consumer Issues forum where you might get some further advice on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

You should contact your bank and ask them to confirm how the successful chargeback was refunded to you , it is likely that you recieved the refund twice

There are reasons why Argos wont ship certain goods outside of GB as this would mean sending outside of the UK customs area and the goods would be subject to import regulations and charges, if your friend had recieved the goods and shipped them over you would be looking at paying VAT on both the goods and the delivery charge and maybe even customs fees

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CosyChair

Wouldnt the goods be second hand once they reach the person in the uk before they are sent on to ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Changes nothing with regard to Irish VAT or duty.

Advertisement