Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My overview of where EV technology is heading....

• 07-04-2022 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭

In my "wisdom"

I thought I'd outline how I see EV technology developing.

I think its worth first of all reflecting on how far we've come.

In 2011 a Nissan Leaf did 80 miles on a charge on a good day. It would take 45 mins to charge to 80 percent of 21 kwh usable battery capacity.

Today - we are in a space where 200 miles range is increasingly common and for that 200 mile range car to charge to 80 percent in 30 mins and less at the latest HPCs*.

500 mile EVs are technically possible in 2022 - the Lucid Air Dream edition can do that and at 70 mph as well.

Battery size on the Lucid is 118 kwh usable so its not using an outrageously sized battery to hit 500 miles.

At a 350 kw charger the Lucid can charge to 50 percent in 16 minutes. That's significant because with a full charged battery at start of journey - you could do a 750 mile journey with just a 16 minute start.

Obviously the Lucid is a ridiculously expensive car but the vital point here is that its technically possible for a manufacturer to deliver 500 miles range in an EV.

Now let's look to the future.

Nio have their battery swop technology which is in fact in China the present.

What does this battery swop technology mean for EVs.....

It means you would be able to pull up to a battery swop station with a low battery and have it swopped for a fully charged battery in 6 minutes..

I think therefore going forward - the need for ICE cars will be reduced. And the problem is - we do need to reduce use of fossil fuels as much as possible.

The solution for climate change issues is doing a LOT of things differently. So EVs alone aren't the answer.

Far from it.

They are however much more efficient then ICE cars.

Take that Lucid doing 500 miles with a 118 kwh battery.

The US EPA reckon that a US gallon of petrol is equivalent to 33.7 kwh.

If you therefore multiply the miles per kwh of an EV by 33.7 you get an MPGe figure.

Short version is that in order to match the Lucid efficiency - an ICE car would have to do 142 mpg on US gallons

142 mpg US gallons is 170 mpg UK - and this is for a big car that in size terms matches the Mercedes S class and is very powerful.

The Lucid is of course particularly efficient especially considering its size but even the worst EV is still going to be more efficient then a typical ICE car.

That's my take and I think its important that the wider EV discussion takes place in a calm rational manner with an understanding of where the technology is at and where its headed.

Theres a lot of noise on both sides of the debate and we need to step back and calm down a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sorry I forgot to add.

HPC = high powered chargers. Which are typically the super fast 150 kw or more super quick chargers.

EV infrastructure in Ireland has a long way to go so we don't see yet the infrastructure needed in Ireland.

But the point was to give a quick insight into how I see the technology evolving

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I look forward to getting a EV my concern is the infastructure. We are so so poor at this in Ireland, what about all the apartments that have either no chargers or 1/2? So many questions about this type of thing.

Its a really important point.

Among the potential options to address this are.....

Maximising the delivery of infrastructure to places you would NATURALLY park your car.

Naturally means you aren't going there specifically to charge the EV - it means a place you were going anyway. So if you worked in a hospital - we should aim to have charging at the car parking space.

Ditto at the supermarket you shop at.

Other options will include - local charging hubs as was done in Dundee.

Deployment of battery swop technology would also very much help those who don't have a home charger.

A final option rarely discussed as only now emerging is "charge on demand".

Charge on demand is where the mobile charging comes to where you are and charges the car where you have it. That's a potential game changer in my opinion and useful for all EV users whether you have a charger at home or not. Knowing that someone could come to you if you are stuck and recharge your car would massively help range anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

The future of battery swop will be interesting. A hybrid system might work well, based on a a small fixed battery with enough power for city driving + a battery expansion bay for longer trips. Such a car would be lighter most of the time, increasing range and reduce tyre wear, while offering the convience of home charging for those with that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

One big thing to consider is growing move away from car ownership to people using the likes of GoCar.

We won't need to solve a charging point for every apartment or terraced house since policies and the market will move people away from owning a car.

Very high level but that's my two cents.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement

This also has the benefit of meaning less cars get made given that making a car - ANY car consumes energy and has an environmental impact.

Advertisement