Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options
  • 06-04-2022 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Traffic has been mental this week! Is this new or standard? I moved to Cork in 2020 and worked on-site in the city centre, so I know pandemic restrictions helped traffic a lot. But the last few days, I've been stuck on the South Link, specifically between the Turner's Cross slip road and the Elysian traffic lights, for nearly 30 minutes each day. I hit that section of road anywhere between 8.15 and 8.30. I used to expect to get caught there for an extra 5 minutes or so, but it's been absolutely dreadful this week in particular. I even left 15 minutes earlier today, and Waze still told me to take the slip road and go down Capwell Road, which is usually a disaster so it's mad that it was faster than the Link.

Anyone else finding this, or am I just learning what "normal" traffic looks like? Any ways around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ignore - Boards fucked up and deleted my eloquent diatribe! Shortened version: last few days hectic, seems to be related to roadworks, but Council are **** traffic up all over the place, especially Tivoli recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Just like in Dublin they are making the city a lot more unfriendly to traffic. They don't want cars in the city centre. It's policy, it isn't an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And if this policy is successful, the result will be way less traffic and congestion, better air quality, better public transport, a healthier population and a much more pleasant city center for all.

It's a disgrace, Joe!

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

Whilst I'm not shy about blaming the council, and boy, do they deserve a LOT of blame, motorists themselves are a HUGE part of the problem: Ignoring red lights, driving onto junctions when they can't clear it on the other side, not using their indicators, not keeping a lookout for other traffic, it's mental to be honest!

It has gotten considerably worse since the end of the lockdowns and the work-from-home mandate. I don't know whether people just didn't drive as much during the lockdown and are simply out of practice or whether they just don't give a rodent's behind anymore, but the results are obvious. And it's not just motorists, it's everyone. Now, all of those deliveroo or JustEat couriers are a law unto themselves anyway, but even regular cyclists seem to have completely lost the plot. I cycle at least once per day from Grand Parade to Penrose Dock and/or vice versa and the amount of idiotic cyclists I see on a daily basis makes me wish those TFI Bikes had a coaxial machine gun!!!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where is this better public transport you speak of? It's typical half arsed Ireland, implement one half of a policy to make certain ppl feel good but neglect the other half. All sticks and no carrots.

• Advertisement

While acknowledging Cork Council have also fallen for the false hope of an anti-motorist policy, there are specific instances where they've simply fucked up. Main case in point for me is that they seemingly changed the timing of the new, largely unnecessary, lights at the Glanmire Rd roundabout at the end of the Tivoli dual carriageway heading East to favour traffic coming from Glanmire with the result that there is zero queue from Glanmire, but queues the whole length of the dual carriageway coming from town. As well as the frustration caused, this results in greater emissions from traffic stuck idling - where's the point in that if policies are supposed to be climate friendly? Coming from Sunday's Well, it's now usually quicker for me to go up through Shandon, the North Ring, behind Dunnes Ballyvolane, into Glanmire and back to the roundabout, than take the direct route on the quays and Tivoli. Longer journey = more emissions and more traffic through narrow streets and residential areas. What sense does that make?

A reduction in traffic will automatically improve public transport efficiency - that was my point. Every little helps.

Also, I completely accept that some people have no alternative to driving a car to work. I drive to work. If we could encourage more people who have other options to use them - hey presto - less traffic for the people who have to drive. So many journey's that people make in their cars are not necessary, at all.

No one is trying to ban cars - but it would be great if people would consider using them a whole lot less.

Make the public transport option better, not just expect cars to vanish and it's all hunky dory.

People simply won't use it if it's not worth their while, doesn't serve where they might want to go, the times are crap or they feel unsafe with the 'characters' on board. If ppl pay hard earned money for tax, insurance, nct etc you're going to have to make it a hell of a lot more attractive. After listening to ppl on radio saying it wasn't worth their while using the train as it was too expensive for a family, paying for parking, delays, things breaking down and so forth vs. simply driving.

Well, you won't find me arguing against improving public transport.

Something I've noticed over the years though, is that the people who are most vocal about how rubbish the public transport system are usually the ones who, literally, never use public transport.

Umm no. I know someone without a car but thinking of getting one because of the weirdos that use the bus. Nearly every second or third week there's some, usually Irish Rail, public transport related horror story. Overcrowding, delays and/or bad behaviour.

I used the bus or train or bike in preference to driving when going into or out of the city. I had to drive to work because the bus would take an eternity, there was no direct service. An hour or so, vs 15-20 mins, no contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Traffic leaving the city at the Glanmire roundabout is atrocious these days since the lights at the roundabout went in, both in the morning and evening. They've done nothing only increase emissions .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

But, but, but what about the old, the disabled, mothers with buggies all looking to get to hospital appointments? How will they manage that if private cars are restricted??????

It was actually since a specific date about three weeks ago (evenings anyway) when they clearly changed the timing (it was OK for the year before that) but......they fixed it yesterday! Or at least I think they did - small queue heading outbound as per before the timing change. Maybe they saw my post here!

Not making a judgement on it at all, just stating a fact. I am sure the council would say the same thing, they don't want cars in the city. This is why they are voted in, to make these decisions on behalf of the people who live here.

This is why they are voted in, to make these decisions on behalf of the people

I think that you will find that it is the executives, not the councilors who are making the policy decisions to reduce motor traffic in their respective areas. Councilors, by and large are following along, with only token protests for fear of upsetting their electorate.

BTW I'm in favour of restricting private motor traffic and encouraging more cycling, walking and improved public transport.

I work in Carrigtwohill so leave the city in the morning and come in the evening. Leaving the city most evenings looks horrific as i'm coming in. Would hate to be facing that on my commute home.

"Councilors, by and large are following along, with only token protests for fear of upsetting their electorate."

If the executives are making the policy decisions, does that mean that local democracy is pointless? I'd like to think that councilors set the policy, but you may well be right. Would a directly elected Mayor have set policy, or just been a figurehead?

I've lived in a few Irish cities and I was always impressed by how well Cork city managed its traffic. Perhaps things will improve when the Dunkettle works are finished.

I wouldn't go so far as to say completely pointless, but pretty useless all the same. All you have to do is look at Owen Keegan's utterances last week to see who is setting the policy and driving the agenda in these matters.

This is not confined to Cork all you have to do is witness similar events in Galway, Dunlaoighre and Dublin. The same could be said for planning related issues.

Maybe its for the best because councilors can't win in these situations. No matter what they do they will be blamed by some section of the electorate so are very reluctant to put the head above the parapet.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/council-chief-has-no-mandate-for-aggressive-plan-to-restrict-cars-in-dublin-city-1.4839291

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

When Garda numbers were better with a large traffic core in the early to mid 2000's you would find a garda at most busy intersections with yellow boxs every morning , it really did keep manners on a lot of the dickheads to stop them blocking up the place.

To the OP , have think about the park and ride, lot less stress in the mornings when you can just read something on the phone etc. while the bus driver is dealing with the traffic.

As I remember it, that was only in the lead up to Christmas. And it did help quite a bit. Isn't it mad to think that just ensuring that most people actually follow the rules makes such a difference.

Red light breaking is at an endemic and dangerous level at the moment, I think. I am continuously shocked at how late people go through junctions after a red light - sometimes three cars breaking the lights!

• Advertisement

Red light breaking is ridiculous at the moment, especially at ship street where the 2 traffic lights are in a row. Motorists brake the first light and then drive straight through the second light, I nearly got hit on a green man there recently. The standard of driving has really become shocking and it will probably stay that way unless there is more of a chance of being caught.

I had a run in with a prick at that junction. As he sped through the green man, nearly creaming me, I flicked a coin that was in my hand , at his van.

Funny thing is that he was in too much of a hurry to stop at a red light but wasn't in too much of a hurry to pull over and chase after my threatening violence. Poor lad got a fright, I guess😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Wtf? You could have smashed his window or caused him to mount the kerb. Why would you escalate and make that situation worse? What an absolutely moronic thing to do.

Didnt your parents teach you violence is not an appropriate response to frustration?

I got a fright and I reacted. No, a coin lightly flicked at a car window would not smash it.

Kindly keep your thoughts about my parents to yourself. What an absolutely wankerish thing to say.

Alternative hypothesis, could have caused him to mount the kerb and miss the school bus full of kids, which he would have hit because he JUMPED THE LIGHTS.

A coin is too small. Should have been a brick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Get your emotions under control lads and don’t get instantly violent when you are frustrated.

Coins turned to bricks in a jiffy there. No wonder fragile egos go invading countries for imagined slights.

So childish.

Ah, here.

You are actually trying to associate someone flicking a coin at a small van speeding through a pedestrian crossing (an act that, while I have admitted to doing, I have not defended, recommended or even condoned) to the invasion of Ukraine!

Listen to yourself.

And, boys and girls, don't break the lights, don't throw things at cars, and listen to your parents!

Ah the old butterfly effect. A correlation between a knob jumping the lights in Ship st. and the invasion of Ukraine.

I do admire your imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you insist on using Capwell Road as a rat run in future please take it slow, it's residential with plenty of children, cats with no road sense, and a large school with students crossing between parked cars at that hour. There are deep gouges in the speed bumps showing plenty people don't take it slow.

Advertisement