Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So you don’t understand it yourself?

Otherwise you’d just come out with an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

When did I say the Green party didn't object nuclear?

As per my post if Ireland wanted to build a nuclear plant the Green could do nothing to stop it because till 2020 they had no part in government and from 2016 - 2020 they had 2 TD's in government and none from 2011

Did you even read the poll? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Exactly. Why didn't the other parties get nuclear going in the last few decades? How much power do people think the Greens have ffs, even when they're not in Government? You people really seem to think they're pulling all of the strings in this country.

Anyway it's pie in the sky stuff, we can't build a hospital, a bike or bus lane, never mind a f*cking metro without the whole country going into meltdown. A nuclear power plant, in Ireland, are you having a f**king laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Sadly no. The corruption by experts is real.

Here’s what Phil Jones of the CRU and his colleague Michael E. Mann of Penn State mean by “peer review.” When Climate Research published a paper dissenting from the Jones-Mann “consensus,” Mr. Jones demanded that the journal “rid itself of this troublesome editor” and Mr. Mann advised that “we have to stop considering Climate Research as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers.”

So much for Climate Research. When Geophysical Research Letters also showed signs of wandering off the “consensus” reservation, Tom Wigley (“one of the world’s foremost experts on climate change”) suggested they get the goods on its editor, Jim Saiers, and go to his bosses at the American Geophysical Union to “get him ousted.” When another pair of troublesome dissenters emerge, Mr. Jones assured Mr. Mann, “I can’t see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow - even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!”

source

More data tampering that got exposed later in hide the decline.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

im not the one preaching about human rights and nuclear you are ........so why are you differentiating between nuclear/human rights and green/human rights ? nice deflection attempt again though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You made unsubstantiated allegations against the South Koreans and "slave labour"

I made no claims as to who the Koreans employed or didn't employ rather I questioned anothers allegations about North Korea and slave labour. Therefore YOU get to back up the unsubstantiated allegations you made or once again you lose all credibility as a poster.

And yes the extract you quoted about human rights in UAE. Here it is.

According to human rights organisations, the government of the UAE violates a number of fundamental human rights. The UAE does not have democratically elected institutions and citizens do not have the right to change their government or to form political parties. Activists and academics who criticize the regime are detained and imprisoned, and their families are often harassed by the state security apparatus.

Not a word in that about slave labourers or the South Koreans as you have insinuated.

I know the general idea of throwing **** - that at least some will stick if you repeat it. Fortunately that does stand up here.

As for this bit of puerile nonsense

"Ah I see you're back to reading and comprehension issues"

So again the mealy mouthed personal comments regarding other poster's "reading and comprehension issues". Stock Reply # 102.

Again from previous comments of yours in reply to other posters

"people are ruining every discussion because they have serious problems with reading and comprehension"

"you seem to struggle with reading and comprehension on all my posts.

You have a serious issue with comprehension. I cannot fix that. Maybe contact the mods and ask them to help you

Stay classy broken, stay classy.

What?

it was raised about the ability to build "cheap" nuclear plants. I am just pointing out the "cheap" plants are not relevant because the cost of builder in Korea is way lower than in Ireland as per my post. Then IF the Korea companies used UAE employees then even cheaper as the country has issues with human rights.

This is what I posted. As I said the ability of Korea to build "cheap" nuclear stations in UAE is irrelvant to Ireland

I also bothered to check what a builder makes in Korea and asked if they used UAE workforce

Maybe read the posts instead of getting in such a rush to attack the poster

When did I say the green party didn't object nuclear

Did you read my comment?

This is what you said

How the hell do you think they are stopping nuclear?

And I provided proof that not only were the greens in Opposition fighting the then Minister Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Alex White over nuclear power in Ireland, but they were also busy teaming up with the British and Welsh Greens making representations to the EU, in an attempt to block the building of a Nuclear Power Station in the UK as it would have required a large investment of public money, with the plan as detailed to stop or delay the project and have it investigated under the EU's state aid rules.

I borrowed this because it looks better here 🤣

You need to be careful of laughing at yourself broken lol!.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement

Yes indeed you were "back to attack the poster"

I replied to the content of your comment where you made a direct personal attack. One which you've made many times before.

Don't be surprised when people call you out for that type of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No broken. That reply of yours was a different poster. This was your reply to my comment asking the previous poster to clarify his allegations about North Korea and slave labour being used to build Nuclear power plants in the UAE

And in that reply to me you made those similar unsubstantiated allegations regarding slave labour

And I quote from that reply "Building a load of plants using slave labour shouldn't be a goal Ireland wants to achieve"

A poster commenting on what you have said is not "attacking the poster" (your stock reply # 103)

That is playing the ball. Something which you seem incapable of doing as seen in your repeated personal comments and attacks regarding other posters "reading and comprehension issues" amongst many other things

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If your link shows anything it`s that at 43% in favour of nuclear and 43% against with 15% don`t knows it`s that it strengthens the posters point that it is time we had a mature discussion on nuclear in this country.

Especially when the largest group in favour is the 18-24 year olds where poll after poll show they are the age group most concerned about climate change.

Yes. Read the post

They would normally use all local skills. The statement about Ireland is perfectly correct, we cannot build "cheap" nuclear plants if it means underpaid workers.

You are jumping around because all you are focused on is attacking the poster and not discussing the topic. You ignore the post to find a way to attack me on every single post. It is so f**king childish but it goes on every post.

I have no interest in you jumping around, moving the goalpost, pulling section out of posts to attack me because you clearly have an issue with any poster who doesn't have the same opinion as you. Constantly repeating the same post is gaining what? apart from trying to get a reaction so you can run to the mods to get me banned. It is clear as day what you have been doing for days. Now do you want to discuss a topic at any stage or continue on this little rampage against me?

I just provided the information. Something which is very rare on this thread.

The poster incorrectly accused the green party of stopping all nuclear when this is clearly incorrect as multi parties have supporters who don't support it. Plus as I posted out the Greens would have to be in government and a major player to put a stop to nuclear. Something they never have been and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Storage required for this is non existent and cost prohibitive to develop and maintain. At current prices, a battery energy-storage system of Europe’s size would cost more than $2.5 trillion, according to an MIT Technology Review paper, massively more expensive than any other alternative.

We already face problems with recycling old car batteries even with pathetic numbers of e-cars in use.

Sorry but I am not convinced some climate catastrophe end of the world is coming if Irish do not stop using gas and refuse to pay ever higher carbon taxes.

Let us talk about reducing pollution and waste and I am very much on board but all this co2 reduction, carbon taxes and climate change is just a scheme how to fleece population of western and developed countries.

All this mad push for renewables which are at the best day just a supplement to existing power generation (and will remain so for quite long time) will guarantee crisis after crisis, price hikes and mad fixes like current mad dash for coal.

The comment you jumped on which I sought clarification was about North Korea using Slave labour in the UAE. You picking up those allegations and running with them shows the ridiculous contrarian nature of your comments. And btw you quoted one of your other comments to another poster. Not your comment to me.

This was from your comment to me. And I quote. "Building a load of plants using slave labour shouldn't be a goal Ireland wants to achieve"

And that's bull manure because it doesn't even make any sense.

And again Broken you repeatedly attacking posters by making personal comments about their "reading and comprehension issues" amongst other things and that being pointed out by reply is not (as per your stock reply # 103) others "attacking you. You shouldn't be surprised where posters call you out on that crap. Trying to play the victim doesn't wash either I'm afraid.

So to return to the discussion. There is one question you must have missed. So again.

do you believe the EU policy on the use of safe, secure and reliable source fossil fuels (during the period of transition to renewable energy generation which includes imported LNG and the use of European natural gas) is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You forgot to mention windowsill gardening tips - tomato and salad.

I find this thread very informative when it comes to information. The biggest problem is with some ignoring it or attempting to misrepresent it.

From the link you posted, based on that poll then as the OP pointed out it is time for all parties to have a re-think on nuclear as they are out of step with public opinion. Perhaps the Green party in particular seeing as of the 43% in favour, the age group most in favour are the 18 -25 year olds who are not just poll after poll shown to be the age group most concerned over climate change, but the age group from which the Green Party received their highest vote percentage in the last general election.

Unfortunately the vagaries of the democratic system does not mean you have to be a major player to influence policy. The Green Party proposals were rejected by the vast majority of the voting public, but we ended up with a dog without a tail. The Green Party provided that tail, but only after getting a commitment that to form a government they would be allowed to wag that tail on policies that had already been rejected by the voters.

So no, if the cards fall in your favour you do not need to be a major player to dictate policy.

• Advertisement

So that's a no then, please continue the rampage. You have yet to add anything of value to the thread so ignoring you is not like Im missing out on anything.

Would you not think it very unusual that a poster uses multi quotes in a reply where there is no connection whatsoever between those quotes .

No, not unusual. As I said, its a normal thing to do, I've done it myself many times as have plenty of other posters. Why this is an issue for you is beyond me

Why you are ignoring the points I made is beyond me. Not that I will lose ant sleep over it.

I supplied the information, which I do all the time. The other poster didn't yet you are coming after me? notice the issue here?

The actual reports suggest the Green supporters are more in favour of Nuclear than some other parties.

Personally I am not in favour of nuclear because first of all I think it will cost a huge amount of money as we have seen with all public projects, children's hospital etc. So it will not reduce the cost of power it will increase it.

Plus with our track record I would fully expect issues with highly dangerous waste as well.

You must be reading someone else's or your own post again 😃

But by all means do continue and answer the comment quoted

do you believe the EU policy on the use of safe, secure and reliable source fossil fuels (during the period of transition to renewable energy generation which includes imported LNG and the use of European natural gas) is wrong?

Pz. Should I presume that "rampage" is the word you're using instead of "rant"?

Not ignoring, just not relevant to the point I was making so no need for me to respond to it

I find this thread very informative when it comes to information. The biggest problem is with some ignoring it or attempting to misrepresent it.

I think you may have hit thd nail on the head there.

On the nuclear option- its increasingly looking like that will have to be an option in the future. I reckon the disconnect between the green party and people in general is growing but that which you observed with younger people is also very telling.

I think the public face and PR efforts of the Green Party generally comes across overall as very very poor. The huge number of articles deleted from their site in recent times added to that. I also think other social media promoters such as the previous Green Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu contributions on the debate certainly didn't help.

I guess we should know soon enough eitherway once the **** hits the fan this winter.

Nuclear is a big part of the UK strategy, publicised yesterday. 8 new reactors by end of the decade

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

i think that poster has provided plenty of informative material on this thread-unlike yourself.

It would be interesting to see how many votes the Green Party would get if the general public realised that we will be dependable on fossil fuels for 81.3% of our total energy needs (from the Green Party policy document you posted) all the while the GP is directly blocking exploration licences and holding up development of barryroe, therefore making us solely dependant on the Moffat lines for gas post 2025.

The GP either don’t know about corrib coming to and end soon, or are happy enough to put our energy needs in the lap of a non EU country.

Which is it I wonder 🧐

Advertisement