Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭apache

Coming from a high risk country like Ukraine poses rabies risks. I'm just stating a fact. Nothing to do with first world problems. The op mentioned animals in the opening post.

Carry on with your virtue signalling and on your high horse.....

Seems there's plenty of fights going on here. 😂 Far more than just two posters at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Wow indeed. The "all men are rapists" brigade.

If they're advertising that they want sexual favours, then.. what's the problem? Wouldn't the danger be from the ones not advertising but wanting sexual favours?

Anyway, I remember that thread on AH. How often do these ads come out? once or twice every few years... so likely only a very few people involved or interested in such a thing.

Oh, and anyone looking at Ukrainian women as being victim material, has no real understanding of what their culture is like. Ukrainian women are very different to Irish women. Culture and the local environment plays a big role.. Ukrainians would be far more street-smart and careful with strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They need to get their act together on the pledged houses . No one I know has yet heard from them to assess the house . Perfectly good homes sitting idle while they concentrate on sport halls and warehouses is in my opinion all wrong .

• Advertisement

The point is that we have spent the last two years with highly restricted travel, forced quarantine, vaccination passes to get into places etc... All due to an infectious disease. And now all of a sudden we are taking in 18,000 people from a country with significant problems in terms of infectious diseases.

The premise of the thread is that many people did not fully think through the practical ramifications of taking strangers into their home; the larger problem is that our authorities have not fully thought through the health and safety ramifications of waiving things like animal quarantine. Waiving public health measures on "compassionate grounds" is an oxymoron because we could end up killing people. Rabies has a 100% mortality rate and pets in Ukraine are riddled with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Curious as to what their culture is like in relation to women? They’re not shrinking violets you mean? I hope they’re not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

In fairness, there are some people who are not in a position to help - house already full, in low pay jobs etc.

However there are loads of people where kids have grown up and left the nest, people with holiday homes etc. who can absorb some extra cost to help others.

So what if houses aren't on a bus route. There is a huge level of support from the community to give lifts etc. Maybe not ideal but it's a long way from sheltering in an underground railway station with hundreds of others.

Language could be an issue, but many (most?) Ukrainians have learnt basic English at school and in a short time will be communicating reasonably well.

These are ordinary women and children seeking safety from a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

The problem is that it's done with the hope that some unfortunate woman will take up the offer reluctantly because they have little in the way of options, or cannot get anything else.

It is very clearly a form of sexual exploitation.

With talk of the rental ads like that being made illegal, the predatory men who create those ads will move on to other ways of acquiring prey. Such as compassionatly welcoming Ukrainian refugees into their lairs before. And as soon as they have settled, they will gradually experiment with subtle harassment and see how far they can get away with.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] - Which is inaccurate. A large percentage of the refugees that Europe saw came from Western Ukraine, where there was no fighting. In many cases(not all), people left before the conflict reached them. Not blaming them, I'd do the same.

Wrong. It's less than 30% actually. A lot less than the number of refugees from the east.

@[Deleted User] - You seem to have this strange perception of what Ukraine was before the war... For all the talk about love of their nation, it was not a great place to live.

Wrong.

Most Ukrainians love their country, for all it's faults. Yet you seem to think you can predict the mindset of millions of refugees. Most will want to return to their homeland as soon as. The ignorance of people like you only serves to strengthen their desire of that. Some are not even waiting for the war to end.

@[Deleted User] - Where's the sense in taking refugees so far from their country, if their desire is to return when the conflict is finished?

Just think of the waste. The expenditure that has occurred which could have been better spent, providing help closer and in a quicker manner..

Wrong.

Every country is doing its bit, so distance doesn't come into the equation. Help is already being provided closer and in a quicker manner, and I'm sure if Poland could take more then they would.

Refugees are grateful for anywhere on the planet to take them in to alleviate their suffering, so who are you to question how far refugees should travel.

I could pick your post apart to a much greater degree and really embarrass you but I've got far better things to do with my day.

By the way, don't bother replying as I find your posts smug and conceited in the extreme, and I've no wish to further interact with someone who labours under the pretence that they are some knowledgeable academic type when in reality they cant even quantify the tripe that they post.

• Advertisement

• Approx half goes in tax. Nobody in their right mind looking to be a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You make it sound so easy :) Now time to get back to the real world. Tell us about the effort and costs involved to get an outdated parents house cleared and ready for rental. And then when they have spent all the money and effort is the government going to pull the plug or change the rules every 5 minutes, just to fcuk the owners over, like they currently are with rentals.

There is no plan here. They are just talking the usual non thought through bollox they usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

We need to be using them? We won't have a choice or rather the choice will be stark: house people in spaces like warehouses and sportshalls, house them in tent villages, engage in an unprecedented construction of a temporary housing programme (which would be politically controversial to say the least) or commandeer housing capacity from the population.

The idea that people opening their homes in an open ended invite for refugees was an idea that was completely unsustainable to be honest. The absolute max you could extract from that was a month's worth of breathing space. It's no wonder that is falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its all well and good welcoming strangers into your home for a few weeks/months but lets face it these people could still need to be housed in Ireland 2 years from now. House sharing is stressful at the best of times - but sharing your house with possibly kids, pets, deal with language barriers having to possibly ferry people around, cook, clean etc will wear very thin. There appears to be no vetting done on either the people seeking refuge or the hosts which is a recipe for disaster. The support in the community will dwindle very quickly.

At the moment there are no supports available to host families. I also read that ukranians are not obliged to give their hosts anything out of their social welfare payment. The government as per usual have put the cart before the horse here and its going to be a shambles for all involved.

I know these poor people need our help but opening up our homes is not the answer. I would happily donate or volunteer but not give a room in my home.

• In spite of a lot of discord on this thread, there is within it a fair description of the issues that will inevitably arise, and must at least be taken account of and mitigated. Most posters have a valid point to make, and realistically we have to think about just how many extra folks we can cope with, without creating problems that will impinge unduly on the lives of every person who resides in this country. The just distribution of refugees within Europe is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I read a post earlier that got me thinking.

Ever had that relative who you like and love spending time with who came to stay fopr a few weeks and by the time they left you were so glad to get rid of them. Imagine that but with someone you dont even know.

People are happy to have visitors in their space, but it doesnt take very long to want your space back. Weeks probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No real surprise the idea of having people move into homes is running into problems there are a heap of problems with that idea .We must do everything possible to help but as usual our government were so keen to be praised by the EU that all logic went out the window .There will be huge financial costs down the line so a cap on the numbers should have been set .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Are you serious? the fact that the goverment can't address 94 homeless people's needs, but can click their fingers to accomodate tens of thousands of other people rendered homless, is not the cause for anything other then even more anger at the government, who quite clearly can fix a problem when it suits them, just not for Irish people.

Wrong. It's less than 30% actually. A lot less than the number of refugees from the east.

Great. You provide a percentage and article referring to internal movements, ie movement within Ukraine itself. Where has the majority of the fighting occurred, and when did the first batches of refugees start leaving Ukraine? This isn't difficult logic to follow.

Wrong.

Most Ukrainians love their country, for all it's faults. Yet you seem to think you can predict the mindset of millions of refugees. Most will want to return to their homeland as soon as. The ignorance of people like you only serves to strengthen their desire of that. Some are not even waiting for the war to end.

For all it's faults. Didn't say otherwise.

As for my predictions, I really do love the irony that you've assumed a position of authority on predictions, but others can't make their own predictions.

The ignorance of people like me? So, when you fail to argue against the points made, using irrelevant articles that relate to other factors not being argued, you descend to insulting other posters? Yeah..

Wrong.

Every country is doing its bit, so distance doesn't come into the equation. Help is already being provided closer and in a quicker manner, and I'm sure if Poland could take more then they would.

Refugees are grateful for anywhere on the planet to take them in to alleviate their suffering, so who are you to question how far refugees should travel.

I could pick your post apart to a much greater degree and really embarrass you but I've got far better things to do with my day.

By the way, don't bother replying as I find your posts smug and conceited in the extreme, and I've no wish to further interact with someone who labours under the pretence that they are some knowledgeable academic type when in reality they cant even quantify the tripe that they post.

Oh, for Gods sake, stop deflecting.. and perhaps actually counter what was written.

You could pick apart my post in a much greater degree, but you can't be bothered actually dealing with what was written. Isn't it just terrible when people don't automatically accept what you post, and don't cover you with likes? Just awful.

As for being some knowledgeable academic type, nope. I contribute my opinions. I haven't claimed any kind of expertise on the situation. Hmm.. I wonder who did in a previous post objecting to another poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not trying to make it sound easy. Someone asked if the government would pay for storage & I answered the question. This could be a real money earner for some families. €500 to €800 after tax per month. For the vast majority of people it wont work out. It's an idea being put forward. No one will be forced to rent out their home. If it doesn't suit you just move on. If it does suit you then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It really isn't.

But to try and answer your question.

How do you think families affected by Mica feel?

I know families affected by Mica, and I know how they feel about watching the after images of children being gang raped and executed in front of their mothers and vice versa.

They are absolutely horrified and in no way would they in a trillion years try to equate the unprecedented challenge to give people safety with them being unlucky to have had homes built with sub standard materials.

Primarily because they are not dangerously stupid cretins.

Why are those perfectly good homes not being rented to our homeless? Just curious, really😇

Would that HIV rate apply uniformly (e.g. to young mothers and their kids) or more for drug users etc.?

I wouldn't worry anyway, it's less than the number of HIV cases we import from South America, we'll be told the Irish education system is failing these people. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

From the other threads you have an issue with all Ukrainians ,

But of full of pro Russian opinion,,,,,,,

Sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well I will bite and answer you . I will put this very simply , I have a house i inherited as my parent died . I could put it on the market now but decided to delay that when I saw the absolute horror of what the women and children have experienced . I have daughters and grandchildren and I would wish if they needed help that someone would help them if they were fleeing war . I have no wish whatsoever to rent it to anyone homeless or not but am happy to give a house to a family fleeing from the awful horror of being displaced and traumatised ., That is my choice to make and I dont have to justify that choice to anyone nor does anyone else have to justify their choices really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Rubbish. Pure crazy speculation about hypothetical "what if" scenario.

Predatory men? Are you aware that you may be assuming or misgendering here?

It's 1% of the population, obviously much higher among drug users and people in prison, much lower among upper-classes. But 1% over the entire population.

Some stats are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Ukraine

Aids is not my primary concern, I mentioned it in passing in the context of a wider problem which is that Ukraine has a lot of public health problems, it has a lot of right-wing anti-vaxxers, they have diseases that have been eradicated elsewhere. They have a huge rabies problem whereas Ireland is officially rabies free due to strict regulations about animal movement.

Compassion is all well and good but letting huge number of people and animals in from country with such problems is a reciple for disaster, and is contrary to the public health policies for the past two years (which have decimated many people and businesses).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ireland is one of very few countries in the world to be officially rabies-free.

Waiving checks for pets coming from Ukraine is mad and could seriously jeopardise that. Big ramifications for ag etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

What about building them sites like the travelling community use. Or using mobile homes as a cheaper alternative. There's only so much the tax can be squeezed before it becomes unfair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement