Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So my wife was complaining about a banging noise with the car when going over bumps.

• 04-04-2022 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

Problem was she was complaining about the noise coming from the back of the car on the passenger side. Drove it myself and have to say she was right definite broken spring sound coming from the rear passenger side.

When I had a proper look (already had taken a look at the rear) this is what I found at the front....

So the moral of the story is don't believe your partner yourself or anyone else when it comes to working out where noises come from on the car. Just get under it and check everything.

Easy enough job. Tricky deep recess to get the nut off the top of the shock, had to use a pair of mole grips on a socket to get the allen key to hold to stop the shock rotating. First time I've ever found it easier to cut the the spring off with an angle grinder - it was jammed in place all over but no actual pressure on the spring as such. Motor factors should have the spring in the morning. Would do both but other one was only done last year singley so with that in mind for a car that only does 6 miles to the shops and back each week I don't see the point of doing the pair.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just a follow up here for anyone doing the same job on a 2004 -2012 fusion and I suspect its the same on that age of fiesta. The new spring doesn't look like it has a hope in hell of fitting. Scratched my head over it for a while but decided to compress it anyway and see if anything changed. My thought was if I took it back to the motor factors compressed with the strut I could show them it couldn't fit. LOL I was wrong once compressed the bottom end of the spring which seems to point in the wrong direction when uncompressed (up instead of down into the recess for the end of the spring) fits perfectly once compressed 😏 At least I have the excuse of not seeing the old spring in (nearly) one piece when I took it off as I cut it into 4 pieces with the angle grinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

That was incredibly dangerous to take an angle grinder to the spring. You are lucky you haven't got 20 angle grinder disc fragments embedded in your brain.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No its not. Take a look at the spring its not compressed in anyway at all. If it had been compressed I wouldn't have taken an angle grinder to it.

Advertisement