Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've no Idea about this particular case, but very often in supermarket cases, fraud RTA cases etc, the Defendant will have tipped off their pet journalist to be there.

There's not much point arguing liability in the case above unless they have video evidence from bus CCTV supporting their argument. If they have they have to put that to the Plaintiff in cross examination.

Bus Eireann are probably largely self insured so they might not like his loss of earnings bill or something (given his occupation).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I see Bus Eireann's legal team going with the 'sure he had his indicator on' defence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hopefully it is an open and shut case with the video evidence from the bus. If his version of events are even remotely true (and they could be as it has happened to me), BE haven't a leg to stand on. This said, I didn't sue BE (no physical injury) but i did bring it to the Gardai where the driver admitted doing it intentionally on camera, and then BE lost the footage from their bus after they said they were holding it. Still wish I'd been more pushy about it. Apparently my helmet camera was not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

was there any mention if it went to PIAB first, and BE refused liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

What I'd love to see is random wands replaced with very well anchored solid steel painted to look like the plastic wands. That'd cool their enthusiasm for running over wands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You have to be a special kind of dense to comment on a Police post saying that other road users deserve to be ran over and then assaulted.

The hilarious thing is you can almost see in the screenshot that he realises it himself halfway through writing that drivel, he changes from abusive to trying to relate to people and appeal to them.

Well either the Plaintiff rejected the award from PIAB or the Defendant did which allows the authorisation for court proceedings to issue.

As to why its in the paper is the journalist (Tim Healy I presume, his name is on story in the Independent) knows that it will likely be picked up by the other papers and websites due to the cycling element. The more people that click on it the more he is paid. So by putting the story in this thread or facebook/twitter you are part of the problem.

There is no journalism anymore for the most part, just people who earn money by stirring sh1te.

A couple of years back there was two entirely separate cases which occurred in the same Munster town and where heard on the same day. They also involved the same insurance company defending both cases, and the key element was that both Plaintiffs were from the same country. It would have taken a bit of effort to get both listed on the same day.

The entire defence team came down from Dublin with their "reporter" in tow. One of the Plaintiffs was pretty dodgy; a few previous claims, caught telling lies on medicals etc. The second one was a hard working man who had an unfortunate accident.

During the hearing on the second case the judge made a funny comment in relation to an old Cork City saying about an optician and I said to journalist "there's your headline anyway". Except the headline was already written to get clicks; "people from this country are all chancers".

To save having to state their ethnic background they had a photographer with them who photographed both Plaintiff and included both photographs with the story.

When people complain here about Pat Kenny, the journal or wherever, you are playing their game.

Post edited by Large bottle small glass on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Nothwithstanding that I wouldnt fancy being on a bike in front of somebody that's wielding a 2 tonne weapon and has the mentality of a highly spoiled 4 yr old, I can't help but feel pity for somebody that carries around such an toxic anger in their head 24/7. Based on the notion that our physical health is heavily linked to our mental health, I can't help thinking he's going to give himself a brain aneurysm or something by the time he's 55.

"there’s not sufficient evidence to secure a prosecution in Court"

What? You can see all you need to in the video.

• Advertisement

Pretty poor road craft from the cyclist in that video.

He's legally overtaking on the left, and traffic on his right comes to a halt. He's not in a protected lane or even a marked lane.

A cyclist in that position has to ask himself why is that car stopped? It's the main risk you will encounter when overtaking on the left along with getting left hooked.

The cyclist given how close he is to the near side of stopped car is probably out of view to turning car at impact and definitely when he starts to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

As commented elsewhere in this forum, it's very easy to spot things in a video of an incident, you're primed to be watching for them.

The traffic is moving slowly and steadily in the few seconds we see - how long do you think it would take you to register that a car just ahead of you had gone from moving slowly to being stopped? The driver is stopped less than two seconds from my count.

If you had a near miss at the spot before, you might be ready for it, but I can't say that I'd be in a different position than the TD despite 25yrs of cycling experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It looks like a close variant of the yellow box collisions that are quite common (I nearly had a yellow box collision years ago and I've been very cautious of proceeding through or into gaps in traffic ever since).

I don't know the legality of incidents like that, but when I do drive, I don't drive blithely into gaps in traffic. I'd always assume there might be someone coming up the side on a two-wheeler of some sort, and I would expect a careful driver to do likewise. But what the legal situations is, what do I know.

He's stopped for two seconds and he would have been braking before that, more the long enough for the cyclist to at least alter his speed. Neither road user knew anything about each other until impact which doesn't say a lot for either of them.

When you are overtaking and travelling faster than adjacent traffic you are at risk near junctions/busy entrances. For the most part you will get away with it, bit when it goes wrong it'll go very wrong.

The risk is going to be higher where drivers don't encounter cyclist a lot; like Galway or most Irish urban areas away from Dublin city centre.

IMO he's speed in an position to left of traffic with no cycle lane is inappropriate, and would make a conviction in a criminal court very difficult.

He'll get paid all day in a civil court with a small haircut for contrib

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The guy who got hit by the Bus Eireann bus won his case and awarded around €125,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't see Cannon doing a whole lot wrong tbh, and nothing illegal. Perhaps could've been more cautious for his own benefit, but that's different from contributing to the incident.

Driver should've stopped once had vision to check past the cars - it could've been a pedestrian or a child crossing the road (also with right of way). Pretty basic stuff not to trust another driver letting you go.

Its almost as if I have heard this before:

The video footage recorded from the bus at the time was wiped over by the time it was sought and Mr Sheridan did not tell the company about the crash for two weeks, when the Garda had become involved.

There will be no consequences for the driver though, which is the real shame, he got away without paying attention and will reinforce the concept that there is no real punishment for bad driving.

• Advertisement

Same here, that video is slowed down to show the impact, he had less than a second between the car starting to turn and the impact. It maybe 2 seconds in the video but that is at 1/4 speed if not slower. The car is also an SUV/Jeep that can see over the Saloon beside Cannon, so in fact it is even more the drivers fault as they should have seen Cannon before even starting the turn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the driver has retired since the incident.

I got that, but he is most likely still driving, just because he no longer works for BE does not mean he should be off the hook.

Just launched today, the govt's Sustainable Mobility Policy

The Sustainable Mobility Policy will play a key role in supporting Ireland’s goal to half its greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. It will make it easier for people to choose walking, cycling and public transport daily instead of having to use a petrol or diesel car. The policy’s action plan to 2025 includes actions to improve and expand sustainable mobility options across the country by providing safe, green, accessible and efficient alternatives to car journeys. It also includes demand management and behavioural change measures to manage daily travel demand more efficiently and to reduce the journeys taken by private car.

To achieve Ireland’s targeted 51% emissions reduction by 2030, the plan aims to deliver at least 500,000 additional daily active travel and public transport by 2030 and a 10% reduction in the number of kilometres driven by fossil fuelled cars.

Key action areas in the policy include:

• Improving the safety of walking, cycling and public transport networks and making them more accessible for all users.
    • Moving the public transport fleet to low and zero emission vehicles.
    • Commencing delivery of BusConnects in our cities and Connecting Ireland in rural areas.
    • Improving rail infrastructure and services.
    • Introducing a more attractive fare structure.
    • Reallocating road space to prioritise walking, cycling and public transport.
    • Adopting a transport-orientated approach to housing development to place new housing close to public transport.
    • Making it easier to switch between different modes.

New measures will also be put in place to improve the delivery of sustainable mobility policy including:

• A Leadership Group to drive implementation of the policy and agree a programme of ‘pathfinder’ projects at local level.
    • A new annual National Household Travel Survey.
    • A new National Sustainable Mobility Forum to engage with stakeholders.
    • A public engagement strategy to promote the benefits of sustainable mobility and raise public awareness of options

Press release

Policy document

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/220898/a538f81a-cf99-48c6-bf98-ce524f132c37.pdf#page=null

Action Plan

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/220900/f64bdce8-c407-4ff2-9374-cbef88f39874.pdf#page=null

There's a lot of interesting items in the action plan which will be of interest to many in this forum. There's honestly too many to list (and it was a massive formatting PITA when I tried)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is optimistic but I won't hold my breath. Neither FF nor FG are known for their green policies so can't see them approaching all of this project with the same eagerness that their press conference today will presumably portray.

I know, I know, action plans are one thing, actual actions are another. I live in hope though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's tough reading alright. All things considered, a very lucky woman.

Advertisement