Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

The fact that some lads are let play with their clubs and Ciaran Brady hasn't played for Arva makes me think he isn't near fit. Surely he would be getting all the game time in that he could seen he has been out for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The JMac podcast very critical of Mickey Graham and Cavan management, particularly Kevin McGourty. Not surprising however because McGourty is from Antrim I believe. Heap the pressure on Graham and Cavan ahead of the game in 3 weeks. Eamon McGee was allowed do similar on the GAA Hour a week or so ago where he went to town on Armagh and described them as having a lack of ambition whilst talking up Donegal and the players they have to come back. For anyone wants to listen and skip the rest of the discussion, Cavan chat happens around the 50 minute mark in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think Graham's comments were that he'll be back training in some capacity this week. I don't think he'll be near ready for the Antrim game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I initially read that as being about McVeety and was thinking "Jaysus, that could be THE surprise Mickey Graham will spring on Antrim" 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

i hope we do see him in the blue again he was on exceptional player.

So would i, but it would be some ask. I know he was doing rakes of different sports down under, but it's almost three years since he played an inter-county game and that is a huge gap in time. Also, i remember when he did a local podcast a while back where he promptly skirted around whether he would play for Cavan again but was clear that he would 100% play for Crosserlough again.

He was absolutely superb for Cavan for years and ended up being a brilliant full forward. Always gave 100% and I really felt for him in 2020. He was completely burned out by the burdens placed on intercounty footballers, training and commuting but yet during lockdown a lot of that burden would have been removed from him and he would have gotten those long awaited Ulster and senior club championship medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

If he gets back to playing Senior with Crosserlough it wouldn’t be a huge step to then get up to speed for Cavan fitness wise, it might be more that he won’t want to get back on that Intercounty treadmill. What an addition he would be though, great leader and can play in so many positions, playing with his clubmen Smith and Lynch in the forwards might be tempting for him and would transform us so here’s hoping!

Two Smiths actually, James and Stephen who I think had his best game for Cavan on Saturday, pity Conor Rehill is not involved anymore, was very comfortable at this level

• Advertisement

And mark Stuart and pierce smith if the latter hadn’t injury problems would probably be comfortable at that level also.

Dara registered with Crosserlough a few weeks back. As for Conor Rehill, as I've stated previously, he had a very bad fall out with a senior player who is still a part of the panel so I don't think he'll be returning. In fairness, the argument was because he felt the training expected was too much so I don't think it's for him.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

It's very cagey. We've made a lot of unforced errors and are having no joy at kick outs. But those are things that can change. Derry not going to let Lovett get in behind them. We need Madden further up the field. Strangely I think we have more in the tank if we sort out a few things and cut out the sloppiness. Hope I haven't just hexed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Very cagey affair. Going backwards so often and far too slow on the turnover to get forward. Playing right into Derry's hands letting them get back and set the defence..

Couple.of sloppy wides could cost us here.

HON CAVAN!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Made tough work of that. Brilliant second half performance, feel the scoreline flattered Derry in the end. The two O'Rielly lads look to have massive potential.

Even with my blue-tinted specs on, we were far the better team. Some big performances when it mattered and credit to the lads when we went behind, heads didn't drop but in fact they upped the intensity. Wasn't a complete performance but they've just dumped the two favourites out. And again, blue-tinted specs on but the ref wasn't giving us much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That was a great performance,

Thought we were gonna kick ourselves out of it

We have a few good big mobile lads in there

Fiontain reilly stood up when he was needed,

Well done all involved

Yes, we've won nothing yet- but: we've beaten the two top-ranked teams. And we've beaten them in different ways, including one during the game. Massive credit to the players, management and back room team. I loved when the game was in the mix that they kicked on and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Let us now await the response and retraction from the full on nay-sayers on here from back in February. You know, the lads who were calling things a disgrace and so on....In case they can't remember who they were, I can do a multi-quote roll of honour if needs be :)

Big weekend for Cavan football at the end of April, which is great to see.

Some great scores when it mattered, Madden and Fiontain O'Reilly impressive and composed on the ball, work rate all over the field was immense and defence won it for us turning them over time after time and forcing them back out the field. Well done to all the lads, 3 Cavan wins in 7 days, not bad going.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if I’d agree re the score line flattering Derry. How many wides did both teams have? Some of Derry’s free taking even was desperate.

In the first half we had a lot of unforced errors but Derry often just gave the ball back to us and didn’t punish us.

I was really worried in the period before and after half time but we rode it out. Subs made a difference.

Nervous stuff again at the end. Summed up most of the game - we won the high ball into the square, so did the hard work, but then managed to give it back to Derry but for some reason they kicked a point with the clock gone. Derry decision making very poor throughout.

Well done everyone involved with the team. Looked like they were well organised and lads knew there role.

On your last paragraph I find it very strange......

Yeah apart from Paul Fitz and Mickey Brennan who else is he talking about 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well done to the u20s, I only got to see the 2nd half as I was at a underage match but in that at least cavan were by far the better team and were almost on the verge of beating themselves. The defensive effort was massive, few times Derry looked to have opened a door to a score only for blue shirts to come racing over and close it. Very impresses and no reason they can't take Tyrone in the final

Huge win for Cavan last night. Play sloppy at times but we got there in the end. A couple of pedestrian passes across our own 40 could have caught us out.

Thought we were at our best when we moved the ball quickly. The other semi final was very high scoring so will be interesting to see how the final goes in two weeks. Will it be the night before the Corrigan game?

Some big club championship games this weekend. The staggered time of games is good as it means people who enjoy attending games can make a few. There are games at 2, 4 and 6 today for example and then next weekend there are games across all three days starting from Friday evening.

The lads on WAC were talking up the Swad Corlough game but, going on results to date, Corlough look to be in better form than Swad. Maghera have good young players coming through too and will think they can finally grab some results if they keep going.

It’s on the free podcast so you can have a listen even without subscribing. He mentions the likes of Padraig Dolan & Stephen Baxter providing info they had on Derry. Baxter, for example, had info on one of the attackers Murray as Denn came up against him in Ulster junior run.

Got my results mixed up alright. I see Swad won by two in the end. Corlough bottom of the table. Them vs Maghera will be big.

Clareman here. Praying that your Cavan U20's do a job on Tyrone in the U20 Ulster football final. I love Cavan people but I also absolutely despise Tyrone. From their sledging, to their playacting and provocative behaviour there probably isn't a more dislikable county to root against then the red hand county.

Be prepared for Tyrone's dirty tricks and hoping for a Cavan success, best of luck to ye anyways.

I know it's only league but it's encouraging to see that Maghera are getting competitive at least. No tankings as yet, and surely it's good for them and the other Junior teams if they can put it up to teams and who knows, even manage a win.

Any word on Caoimhin McGovern- is he back playing with Shannon Gaels yet?

• Advertisement

Damien donohoe said on the podcast that caoimhin played for Shannongaels at the weekend and Ryan brady played for gowna, Ulster final might be too soon for them but great to see them back playing.

Advertisement