Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

watched first part. he actually told people jokingly that he should be arrested and got up to no good with the ladies and then he would smirk but no one picked up on it. Always thought he was gross to look at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another WW2 movie coming up; this one is based on a true story I was familiar one, that is "Operation Mincemeat", an attempt to fool the Nazis about invasion plans using a dead body, thrown into the Mediteranean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

That WW2 film looks really good, I love Colin Firth.

Currently watching My best friend Anne Frank. Very sad but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

Not your typical music documentary. Its very personal and well told, i liked the style of the documentary, alot of "show, dont tell" particular with focus to his more recent mental health. I didn't really know anything about his personality other than the stuff you absorb around releases and through exposure to celeb tittle tattle, as much as you try to avoid that junk.

(I would also like to see a typical music documentary where he talks in great detail about what buttons he presses and what he is doing....but there are plenty of those already out there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

Oh great, i wanted to watch that sparks brothers doc when it came out but missed it.....thats Friday evening sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Definitely in my top 3 favorite tv shows of all time, superb from start to finish

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thoughts on Snowpiercer the TV show?

I'm not generally a fan of Sci-Fi type stuff unless it's more character driven, but I've heard good and bad things about this. I haven't seen the film so that's not a factor for me.

Is it worth a look? How many episodes before I'd know if it's for me? Make my choice for me, strangers on the internet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 1 is a little rough, lacking a strong narrative centre but season 2 ramped it up from "meh it's all right" to "this is good stuff". IMO it has enough strong characters to keep one interested, and a wide enough ensemble you can find a favourite. You might know it's your cuppa by mid point of season 1.

The premise will be the biggest hurdle TBH; a never stopping train around an arctic world might be too much, but it also serves as a pretty blunt, effective tale of class warfare (the literal manifestation).

The episodes are 45 minutes approx so not a huge investment of time either.

The premise I can accept, it's actually the kind of thing I prefer in these kinds of shows. Like it's a very basic concept, the world ended, everyone lives on a train now. Simples. It's the shows that are still explaining setup stuff 2 seasons in, or leaning way too heavily on the sci part of SciFi that I struggle with.

Yeah there's nothing withheld in Snowpiercer, it's just the show properly clicked in the second season, though the back half of Season 1 was better once simmering pots boiler over.

Beyond the train itself the Sci-Fi is fairly minimal TBH. I'm no expert on trains but the gobbledegook is often ... believable. Mechanical and tangible; everything scrap and recycled, no magic boxes that go bleep-bloop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Which one? The new one with Hilary swank or the older foreign one with mads mikkleson? Both are completely different but brilliant movies

• Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Finally got through the jimmy saville documentary and who’s the female presenter that we hear a clip of from newstalk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 second toughest in the infants

I watched the first episode of the Jimmy saville series.

An hour and twenty minutes long and very boring. Taking ages to get to the point. Don't know if I'll bother with the second episode.

Not on Netflix but Single Drunk Female on Disney+ is a fun little show about a recovering alcoholic. It's pretty lightweight given the subject matter, but I enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Metal Lords (2022) - For teenage misfits Hunter and Kevin, the path to glory is clear: Devote themselves to metal. Win Battle of the Bands. And be worshipped like gods.

Yaksha: Ruthless Operations (2022) (Korean) - An action-packed spy thriller starring Sul Kyung-gu (“The Merciless”) and Park Hae-soo (“Squid Game”).On assignment in a perilous city to inspect a Black Ops team and its notorious leader, an upstanding prosecutor steps into a deadly war between spies.

Dancing on Glass (2022) (Spanish) - When immense pressure threatens a ballerina in a new lead role, she and another dancer escape into a friendship that isolates them from the real world

Dirty Lines (2022) Season 1 (Dutch) - In 1980s Amsterdam, an enterprising college student stumbles into a new career at a phone sex line started by two wildly different brothers.

The In Between (2022) - After losing the love of her life in a tragic accident, a brokenhearted teen begins to believe that he's sending her signs from beyond the grave

Elite (2022) Seasons (Spanish) - When three working-class teens enroll in an exclusive private school in Spain, the clash between them and the wealthy students leads to murder.

TIGER & BUNNY (2022) Season 2 (Japanese) - In a vibrant metropolis protected by a band of superheroes called NEXT, veteran Wild Tiger is forced to team up with rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr

Green Eggs and Ham (2022) Season 2 - In a whimsical world full of surprises, polar opposite pals Guy and Sam learn to try new things like friendship -- and a certain delectable dish.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Started a few nights back, currently at episode 4 or 5. Really great behind the scenes. Don't particularly have to like F1 to enjoy it.

Spoiler coming up.....I really liked the Art of War episode showing the riff between Renault and Red Bull. Loved the line from Cyril to Horner, "looks like you need an engine AND a driver".

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭robbe

I've watched 7 eps of Snowpiercer since yesterday, which I guess means there's enough about it to keep me interested. The main guy, Daveed Diggs' character, I find the least interesting, and the seperate classes feels like something that can only last so long. Also, the way they say "on Snowpiercer, 1001 carriages long" at the start of each episode feels like heavy foreshadowing that they'll be losing some carriages soon.

Wow, some binge. What's the verdict then? As you say, Layton is a weak lead. Can't possibly comment on the last bit lol

• Advertisement

There's a couple of characters/arcs I'm already invested in and then there's some I'm zoning out on. Things kicked off at just the right time, I think, mix things up a bit. I'm glad they didn't try to keep the Melanie thing going all of S1 either, although it's kind of hilarious she kept it up for 7 years 😄 The Irish actor is driving me mad with his accent. He's from Kerry, I think, but seems to be doing a Northern Irish accent? I've seen him in other things and he sounds like that too, so maybe he's just got a bit of a blended accent? But at least it sounds like 2 real Irish accents. But yeah, all in all, I'm liking it, and if S2 fixes the one or two weaker aspects then I'm sure I'll be binging them too.

Edit: Oh! And the blonde actress that plays Till(?) is Sting's daughter! I don't know why I find that amusing, but I do.

Post edited by TICKLE_ME_ELMO on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

She was on 'The Hard Shoulder' the other day, segment is on Newstalk site or Spotify anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Never has a trailer done such a disservice to a movie than the one for Metal Lords. It's made to seem like a teen comedy but it's so much more than than that, it's really such a nice, and awesome, movie. Really worth a watch, with some great cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looking forward to checking out Metal Lords. Good to see a positive review.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Beverly Hills Cop 4

‘Beverly Hills Cop 4’: Mark Molloy To Direct Next Installment For Netflix

The long-gestating sequel to the hit comedy franchise Beverly Hills Cop looks to be gaining momentum as sources tell Deadline that up-and-coming director Mark Molloy has been set to direct Beverly Hills Cop 4Eddie Murphy is expected to reprise his role of Axel Foley, with Netflix on board to distribute. Jerry Bruckheimer is back to produce.

Molloy replaces directing duo Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, who parted ways with project to focus on the Warner Bros pic Batgirl, which recently wrapped production and is set to bow on HBO Max. Insiders add Beverly Hills Cop 4 is still in development and no production start date has been set.

Netflix had no comment on the hire.

The franchise moved from Paramount to Netflix in the winter of 2019 and follows the adventures of Detroit cop Foley, who first appeared in the 1984 smash hit that followed him to Beverly Hills to solve the murder of friend. The film became one of the year’s biggest hits and solidified Murphy’s movie star status. It was followed by two sequels.

As for Molloy, the project would mark his first feature film for a major studio. The rising star has gained acclaim on the commercial circuit specifically with Apple spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha! No way! I know Mark Molloy well enough, he's a director for the company I work for (along with the recent Black Crab's Adam Berg)... he kept this one quiet!

It's not one I'd have pipped him for in the past, but over the last 2 years he's done some brilliant comedy work with his Underdogs spots for Apple.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Metal Lords is a great little movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Worth (2020) seems to be a movie that has flown under the radar. It's badged as a Netflix movie, but doesn't seem to have been promoted / pushed near as much as some of their other output.

Michael Keaton & Amy Ryan star, the former strong in the movie. Stanley Tucci supports and also gives a good performance. Several actors (wholly unknown to me) play the family of victims, and they were excellent - to the stage that I thought the filmmaker had brought in real family members to tell their story. This is not the case, as the director explicitly say they didn't use real names but instead used stories to base the story of the victims off.

Movie tells the story of a lawyer tasked with setting up the 9/11 victims' compensation fund. It's a different take on the 9/11 sub-genre of movies. Wrangles with how you value a life and all the complications that come with that.

A common critique of mine is that a movie is too long, and I am here to say it again for this movie. Run time is just shy of 2 hours, but could have been a 1.5hr film.

Decent, but as it dragged out my rating dropped and dropped to a 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Joker (2019) - In 1981 Gotham City, a struggling, mentally ill comic battles to be seen. His life takes a dark, gut-wrenching turn after he lashes back at attackers

The Missing (2016) Season 1 & 2 - Brilliant French detective Julien Baptiste comes out of retirement to investigate missing persons cases that leave the police baffled

Added

Advertisement