Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked nose

Options
  • 18-02-2022 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Have a blocked nose for months now, gets better than comes back again.

The last 2 weeks I've been useing the sudefed nasal spray which unblocks in in less than 10 mins but after a few hours it's blocked again. The fact the sudefed clears it right away would there be a permanent cure?

I also take antihistamine daily in case it was allergy related but I don't think it is

I'm going to ask for an ENT referral from the gp, was thinking about the eye and ear hospital in Dublin or the mater private, has anyone had and dealings with these in regards sinus or blocked nose.

Or indeed what to do to unblock a nose permanently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes I did for 16 years where one nostril was partially blocked due to a deviated septum. I had to have an operation to fix it. Mine was an issue for as I said 16 years so nearly half my life, but yours doesn’t sound like that if it’s a recent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

your not supposed to use sudofed for x amount f days in a row. it becomes the problem.

"Prolonged treatment may lead to reactive hyperemia of the nasal mucosa. This rebound effect may lead to nasal congestion or nasal obstruction during continued use or after discontinuation, resulting in repeated or even continuous use of the medicine by the patient"

instead get some neilmed sinus rinse from your pharmacy and unblock using saline solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Sorry forgot to mention I also use the Neil med sinus rinse but when my nose is blocked I can't use it as the water just goes up to my ears and eyes and causes pain but I can use it after the sudefed, catch 22 and very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

I was on Sudafed for a few years. Was very congested and couldn't sleep without it. Lots of Sinus headaches and earaches.

After a lot of wasted time with GP's, I got in with an ENT in Beaumont. He was fairly blunt (in a good way) and said to get off the **** as it is a viscous cycle of longterm dependancy.

I had a bit of allergic rhinitis so I was put on a steroid nasal spray and complete cold turkey with the Sudafed. Took a few months to get fully off it.

One comment from the ENT that resonated was it is normal to have one side of the nose more congested than the other and it alternates throughout the day (which I had never really noticed!).

TL:DR Sudafed gives short term relief but makes the problem worse. Weaning off it will take some time.

Did the nasal spray work?

I'm sick of going to the doctor myself, I was put on a spray to called Avamys , absolutely useless.

I'm off all sudefed just over a week, my congestion isent as bad ( the sudefed spray Definitely causes rebound ) but I'm still blocked if that makes sense ( by what you said I think you know what I'm talking about )

I went to a different doctor and paid €30 for a referral letter only there yesterday so I hope to get an appointment in the next few weeks, I went for the mater private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

I had exactly the same symptoms as the OP describes. Ended up being a simple infection of the sinuses and one course of antibiotics cleared it up completely.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Are you insured/happy to go private? I was on the ENT wait for a consultant for 4 years when I got a call to ask if I wanted to keep waiting. I said I did but 2 years later I was no longer on the list.

I've had 2 septoplasties. In my case pretty much a waste of time, pretty sure for the second one he just cut the septum in a few places, there was zero difference before/after once it had healed.

The other thing he did (which has helped) I can't remember the name of but it involved removing (he said burning) tissue kinda at the bottom of the nostril fairly deep in. He said it should last a decade before likely being needed to be redone.

Also it could just be straight up sinus issues, there's little procedures for those as well.

I had a sinis infection last year that antibiotics cleared but this seems different, at its worst my congestion feels like my nose is going to explode. The sudefed clears it right away but it keeps coming back so i hope it's a easy fix. ( I've stopped useing sudefed but I will use it again soon I think as it effects mood lol )

Yep going private paying 200/250 to find out exactly what's wrong and how to fix it is fine by me, my Dr is €63 a visit and 3/4 visits later with different pills and spray still no better off and I honestly couldn't last another year or more like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I use Avamys, had problems with my nose for years (snoring, constant colds and sneezing, couldn't taste anything) and it cleared them up in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have had blocked nose for years on end and then end up then with blocked sinus which leads to infection .I am great beliver in self healing and what worked for me is simple an orange every morning ,cut down on drinking milk except in tea ,porridge for breakie ,try and limit chocolate (impossible I know) but most important is 2 spoons of seven seas pure cod liver oil every night before bed .Keeping warm when out and about is another must .This is my life from October until mid April but it keeps from the doctors and I have had sinus infection where my face swelled and broke out but no more since I follwed my regimented routine and when summer comes I can go mad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've never been to those hospitals, but I had a septoplasty years ago in monaghan hospital , to relive pressure on my sinuses. Best thing ever. I used to be clogged , bubbles out my nose, and headaches. Cured mostly, and nasal douches.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Maybe you've tried this already but have you tried cutting out dairy? I did and it really helped with my constant running nose problem.

Aside from that, a Netipot sinus rinse can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i use this daily

a family of sinus sufferers.....

It's not a runny nose ( I wouldn't mind that half as much ) it's the complete opposite a blocked nose having said that it's not to bad as of now it seems to come back every several or so and I'm in my rest period 😂 although I'm still very nasaly and talking through my nose but it's not that sore more so pressure on the bridge of my nose right now .

The neilmed works when it's not fully blocked is it's the onset of a cold or star of sinus issues but when the nose is fully blocked as mine does get it nearly burst a ear drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

it certainly sounds like sinus related issues, i get the usual sinus pains, normally around the face, forehead, around the eye sockets, upper nose etc, i even get toothache from time to time with it, ive probably even suffered with earache, nothing worse!

neilmed rinses can be done many times throughout the day also, i do this when im really bad, along side taking the antihistamines, you could also try this

but its awful, just too bloody strong....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ooh Sudafed... It's pure heroin for nasal blockages. Just came off it after 20ish years. I was going through a bottle a week at one stage. I've deviated septum which will hopefully be fixed this year.

It really is 😂 obviously the people here you included know what I'm on about, my nose at its wosrt do be so congested ( but no mucus ) that it feels like it's going to burst open and if if I close my mouth I suffocate and if I blow my nose I burst a vessel, but after 1 spray of Sudafed in each nostril 10 mins later fully cleared. Extremely frustrating. The pressure in the bridge of the nose gets annoying though like I got a dig on the nose that's when I take Ibuprofen, but it's only kicking the can down the road, up pay the private ent fee than depending on what it said and how much I'll either go on the waiting list to get it done publicly or just pay and get it over with,

I'm mean if it's that's bad but a spray I'd Sudafed fixes it surely it's a easy enough fix right...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

You may have polyps which get enlarged when you get any kind of cold/nasel infection. I suffer from them and one side of my nose gets completly blocked.

• Advertisement

Quick update, my appointment got rescheduled for the end of the april,

Question, when you get a pain in your eyebrow ( right on the bone ) what do people take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm not sure if you're the poster I recommended this to , but a nasal douce , baking soda in a cup o water, syringe it with syringe from Vet , NO NEEDLE JUST THE PLUNGER into your estuarine?? Tubes with your head down and blow your nose. Cleats the sinuses out brilliantly. cheap and easy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Does no one these days use Vicks for a blocked nose? I have started with hay fever again and Vicks it is. A small amount on my finger and under the nose and clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

OP might be a strange question...

But do you consume energy drinks like Red Bull or Monster...

There seems to be some link between nasal blockage and nasal drips for some people when consuming energy drinks...

I had an issue with my nose being blocked, and just happened across a small study from Korea about teenagers and energy drinks...

After 2 weeks free of the energy drinks it had improved, after 4 weeks gone...

My Dr had no idea what was wrong, and kept telling me to take anti-histamines and decongestant's

If you read the whole thread its way beyond vicks and its 100% not hayfever

No i dont but i would drink a far bit of coffee, i worked nights for 6 years only back on days since feb so maybe that has a part to play, i think nights arent the best for your health in general .

I use the neil med sinus but i will give this a go too ive nothing to loose,

Its like its stuck in the bridge of the nose like jelly ( sorry for that image lol )

Even though i know i shudent im back on the sudafed spay shen it gets bad, 5 mins later clear,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Red Bull's full of caffeine.

Some reports state

Caffeine diminishes adrenal health by deleting epinephrine and affecting cortisol levels. This in turn affects the immune system and inflammatory levels, which can lead to increased candida levels causing chronic sinusitis.

And

Caffeine weakens the immune system and has a direct effect on the adrenal glands. When the adrenal glands weaken, so does the body’s defense against mucous build-up. Cut out all forms of caffeine during nasal congestion. 

• Advertisement

Il keep off coffee for 2 weeks and see if that makes a difference , its defo worth a try

Advertisement