Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Oopsie , you must have linked me the wrong article , what you linked is an article about 2 black bare knuckle boxers, one who's were slaves and one who was a slave later freed. It doesn't state anywhere that white people didn't let black athletes compete in main sports because they thought that they were physically superior and had an unfair advantage, but don't worry too much I wasn't expecting much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So if the NCAA come under pressure and decide not to allow the athlete in their assembly, you would support that? As an ngo organization practicing freedom of assembly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Subject to the jurisdiction of the United States and its laws yes, which afford them the right to assemble with trans athletes and will, in some short order or another, outlaw discrimination on the basis of sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If they outlaw discrimination on the basis of sex then they cant possible have mens and womens separate competitions.

If they do however, and stipulate that you cannot discriminate trans-women from women competition then I guess it just means that trans-women are not women, seeing as you have to have separate legal distinctions for them here too eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says transgender women should not compete in women's sport - https://www.bbc.com/sport/61012030

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i saw that fair balls to him, was sympathetic to trans people aswell so he wasn't bashing anyone, it's just about fairness imo anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭volchitsa

"Intersex" is a misnomer: in much the same way as people with Downs Syndrome are not actually "Mongols", people with anomalies of sexual development are not actually "intersex".

FYI it's now usually called DSD. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/differences-in-sex-development/#:~:text=Differences%20in%20sex%20development%20(DSD,different%20to%20most%20other%20people's.

And, as with "people with Downs Syndrome" (or people with Trisomy 21), "people with DSD" are not "intersex people". Because it's a medical condition, not an identity.

Hence people with DSD are not Intersex people, they're people with a DSD. They also do have a genetic sex, either male or female. It's just not always visible at birth. Caster Semenya, for instance is male, not female, with testes which remained in the abdomen. In fact if he'd been born in a place/family which could avail of modern medical facilities, that problem would have been identified rapidly and he would never have been wrongly told he was a girl.

It's funny though how it's perfectly ok to be horribly offensive to lots of people (not just women) when defending the extreme trans activist position. Earlier on we had race (only black people can be Haitian, it seems), and now this.

(Edited for clarity)

Post edited by volchitsa on

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boris is not in favour of trans women participating.

So, you did find it clever? :_:

I'm sure I should have as a plebe just shut my mouth then in the 1900s when Eugenics was all the rage and Nazis held rallies in New York and ****? Argumentum Ad Populum.

I made this comment because I find no weight in the mans opinion, and never have. He will blow smoke up your ass while he does whatever the **** he wants anyway, good for him, his people elected him.

• Advertisement

I can't stand him either, but I hate even more this fake equivalence style of argument that seems so widespread these days, that says that if I agree with someone on enough issues then I have to agree with them on everything, and the contrary.

I'm sure Johnson thinks the earth is more than 6000 years old - so does that mean I should become a Young Earther?

Partygate is a completely separate issue, and it's just whataboutery to bring it in here. Makes you look like you know you can't argue the actual issue, so you're flinging everything else you can think of at it instead.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Trisomy 21 is (47,XY,+21), aka Downs Syndrome. That is none of the intersex listings I posted earlier, from this webpage:

I'm not sure where you ever got the impression Downs Syndrome was an intersex chromosomal variation, or that I was saying that, when I didn't link or say to anything that did?

FTR: Trisomy 21 happens in 1 in 700 live births (CDC, USA)

"Boys with 47, XXY can excel in athletics. Boys with 47, XXY are playing college football, skiing, running cross-country, playing water polo, and are involved with lots of other sports!"

Right?

Boris Johnson is a completely separate issue, he has no jurisdiction over American sport, which is the race the thread is about. It is whataboutery to bring it in here, yes. And your swipes at me to defend your ad populum argument don't hold any water.

Sorry yes, I see I was unclear.

No that's not what I meant. I was saying that both terms are misnomers, from back in the day when the able bodied were quite dismissive of anyone with frailties and disabilities.

My point was that calling a person "intersex" is both technically wrong (they aren't "intersex", they simply have an anomaly of sexual development and is generally considered offensive by people with DSDs.

And that similarly - but without being the same congenital illness - someone with Down syndrome, ie someone with Trisomy 21, is not a Mongol, and that too is now considered offensive both to the person concerned and also to the genuine Mongols, ie people from Mongolia.

(Edit: yes I see now where my earlier post was unclear - comes from poor proofreading/editing. There's a line missing, so that there's a "they" that could apply to Trisomy 21 but in fact was meant to refer to people with DSDs.)

People who matter to this issue: Senator Lindsey Graham, what's a woman?

The birds and the bees stuff — it’s been a while, but I think I remember the general gist of the differences. To have a hard time answering that question is kind of odd to me.

Senator Ted Cruz, what's a woman?

Cruz, when asked, immediately answered that a woman is “an adult female human.”

He denied that he had recently looked it up in a dictionary.

“I just happen to speak English,” Cruz said, adding: “A Homo sapien with two X chromosomes.”

So, Ted Cruz doesn't believe XXY humans are boys....

Senator John "No Not That One" Kennedy, what is a woman?

I don’t have anything for you on that

Senator John Cornyn?

I’m not going to indulge you.

Senator Josh Hawley?

“Someone who can give birth to a child, a mother, is a woman,” he said. “Someone who has a uterus is a woman. It doesn’t seem that complicated to me.”

So if a woman has her uterus removed by a hysterectomy, is she still a woman?

“Yeah. Well, I don’t know, would they?” he asked. (Yes.)

Asked again later if he would consider a woman to still be a woman if she lost her reproductive organs to cancer, Hawley said: “I mean, a woman has a vagina, right?”

Senator Thom Tillis?

My Wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Senator John "No Not That One" Kennedy, what is a woman?

I don’t have anything for you on that

Senator John Cornyn?

I’m not going to indulge you.

Senator Thom Tillis?

My Wife

These are my kind of people...

Take that up with whoever brought Boris into it in the first place.

Just thinking about the years of engineering across the world that went into creating the conditions for agriculture as we know it, the transport networks, the processing, the delivery guys taking it to the shop, then we put it pieces of metal sent all the way from China, cover it with clean water, turn on the heat burning gas which travelled through pipes from across the country after being dug out from under the seabed, serve it up and eat it and then use those calories to discuss whether a person who lived as a male and developed as a male for a couple of decades should be allowed enter a women's swimming competition.

I appreciate that it does! But AFAIK there are typically new threads for each and every trans athlete incident that has ever hit the headlines, and the topics may run parallel but they are not the same thread.

Well why yes, the agricultural revolution was the mother of history, it gave us time to think about pretty much anything, including aliens with 3 boobs in an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, and yeah Greek philosophy and stuff, ancient playwrights about dudes thirsting on their own moms, etc. - we're hardly going to stop using our brains to think critically about the world and life and stuff once we've perfected the Roomba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

They have Y chromosomes, so they are male. They may have been identified as one of these mysterious other sexes before, but it's not the case. They are clearly male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Once again.

There is NO ban on transgender women playing rugby.

Women who transitioned after puberty are not allowed to play at international level, no such bar on women who transitioned prior to puberty.

In levels beneath International it is up to the individual unions to decide - the IRFU, RFU, FFR to name just 3 of the 'biggest' in Europe all 'allow' transgender women to play in domestic competitions - League, Cup and yes - Provincial.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I suspect its not particularly about definitions. As you say, it's an ultimately fruitless discussion, done to death.

I think what makes the sports issue so live is the subtext. If someone complains about transwomen competing against women in sport, they are essentially implying that (by and large) women cannot effectively compete with high performing biological men in most disciplines.

Most of us probably take that as read. But, for some, that's a difficult thing to admit. Because it would pretty much explain why few sportswomen achieve fame in their own right, and even suggest the problem won't be helped by RTE covering events that folk don't really give a toss about. Peile Na mBan is one of the most popular programmes on TG4. Right up their with Ros na Run, and Country Voice.

I think that's what the discussion is really about. Its not about esoteric discussions of Is This A Man? If the physical was irrelevant and undefinable, would you find many trans folk be quite so determined to make fairly drastic changes to their bodies?

It's a debate, I think, about the status and value of women's sports in general, and that's what makes it difficult.

I don't think there are any transgender people who transitioned (medically) prior to puberty. That would be truly shocking, as it would mean that parents and doctors were treating 10 or 12 year olds with experimental drugs, and that the children went straight on from those to cross sex drugs, ie went through no puberty at all. I find it hard to believe that an adult who had never gone through puberty would be able to play sport at a high level.

So I'm not sure you're right that any transgender women (aka trans-identified males) can play as women internationally. You are of course right that several national associations do allow it.

But I think it's worth pointing out, yet again, that there is no ban on transgender people playing any sport at all anyway. They can all play in the category in which they were born, on condition that any drug treatment they take doesn't eliminate them. But that's not unusual: women taking hormonal fertility or other treatments (PCOS in particular) have regularly found themselves on the wrong side of bans due to hormone-levels. It's never been presented as unfair before - affected women have always just had to suck it up.

So really the only question here is whether transgender women (biological males) should be allowed to play in a category different to the one they belong to biologically. Transgender men (biological females) tend to choose to continue in their original, women's category. Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

There should be 4 classes of athletics. Men ,women, trans men , trans women. Let them all compete on a level field.

You don't even need that: it would be enough for men's categories to become "open", as is already the case for chess I believe. The women's category could be reserved, much like minor categories are, for adults who have not gone through male puberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't think there are any transgender people who transitioned (medically) prior to puberty. That would be truly shocking, as it would mean that parents and doctors were treating 10 or 12 year olds with experimental drugs, and that the children went straight on from those to cross sex drugs, ie went through no puberty at all. I find it hard to believe that an adult who had never gone through puberty would be able to play sport at a high level.

Not to put the willies up you this early in the morning volchista, but you may need to go a bit younger than 10 or 12 for the age at which children are being prescribed puberty blockers. It's not based upon age, but rather the stages of their physical development - Tanner stages, and in the case of children who are transgender, in the US at least, this stage of development can begin as young as 8 -

In this dynamic and fast-moving field, real-world conditions are changing, along with scientific protocols and government regulation. As children in numerous countries appear to be hitting puberty at younger and younger ages — a separate phenomenon that is yet to be fully explained — the treatment regimen may need to be extended, increasing or altering the impact of potential side effects of medicines like puberty blockers, de Vries said. A 2019 paper, part of the NIH-funded U.S. study, states that the minimum age for the gender-affirming hormone cohort was decreased from 13 to 8 years “in order to ensure that potential participants who might be eligible for hormones based on their Tanner stage would not be excluded due to age alone.”

But this approach is not embraced by all U.S. practitioners. Ehrensaft, one of the study’s authors, wrote that prescribing testosterone or estrogen for 8-year-olds “is definitely not a practice that we engage in at our clinic.”

The Fractious Evolution of Pediatric Transgender Medicine (undark.org)

But I think it's worth pointing out, yet again, that there is no ban on transgender people playing any sport at all anyway. They can all play in the category in which they were born, on condition that any drug treatment they take doesn't eliminate them. But that's not unusual: women taking hormonal fertility or other treatments (PCOS in particular) have regularly found themselves on the wrong side of bans due to hormone-levels. It's never been presented as unfair before - affected women have always just had to suck it up.

Ehh, that's not quite the full story either. The idea of suggesting there is no ban on transgender people playing any sport being akin to the same sort of argument that was used to suggest that there is no ban on homosexuals entering into marriage. It's a specious argument which attempts to ignore the fact that what you're attempting to do is already unlawful - it's discrimination on the basis of gender. With regard to the issue of PCOS among female athletes and whether or not it's regarded as unfair, it IS regarded as unfair, and there are theraputic medical exemptions which mean female athletes with PCOS are not excluded from competition. Obviously PCOS comes with it's own inherent difficulties for athletes affected by it -

5.1. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common endocrinopathy among women of reproductive age and is characterized by clinical or biochemical hyperandrogenism, ovulatory dysfunction and polycystic ovaries on ultrasonography. Some studies suggest that PCOS is the most common reproductive endocrine disorder among female Olympic athletes; its prevalence even higher than hypothalamic amenorrhea that often results from caloric deficiency (Hagmar et al., 2009). Indeed, 15–31% of elite athletes have either clinical or biochemical profile that is suggestive of PCOS (Dadgostar et al., 2009Eliakim et al., 2010); this exceeds estimated prevalence of 4–12% in the general population (Knochenhauer et al., 1998). Limited evidence from smaller studies have suggested that hyperandrogenism in women with PCOS might have beneficial effects on body composition and physical performance; indeed, higher circulating serum testosterone levels in these women have been associated with greater muscle mass independent of height (Douchi et al., 1999). In a case-control study of 80 women (40 PCOS and 40 controls), women with PCOS demonstrated greater muscle strength (assessed by 1-RM bench press and isometric handgrip strength tests) compared to the control group, which was independent of body composition (Kogure et al., 2015); furthermore, serum concentrations of testosterone were positively associated with increased muscle strength in the PCOS group. In a small cross-sectional study of female athletes with oligomenorrhea or amenorrhea, athletes with hyperandrogenism demonstrated greater lean mass and a higher maximal oxygen uptake (V02 max) and performance compared to women with normal androgen concentrations (Rickenlund et al., 2003). Although data are limited, these studies at least suggest that hyperandrogenism in women with PCOS could potentially impart some advantage to women competing in sporting events.

So really the only question here is whether transgender women (biological males) should be allowed to play in a category different to the one they belong to biologically. Transgender men (biological females) tend to choose to continue in their original, women's category. Obviously.

Certainly that may be the only question as far as you're concerned, but for athletes who are transgender, there are a multitude of questions involved, from whether or not they will be able to have access to adequate healthcare, to whether or not they will be able to continue their education, to whether or not they will be able to participate in sports at all, let alone be able to participate at elite levels in sports. And those are just the few off the top of my head. They were the sorts of questions that Trans Identified Female athletes (in keeping with your 'Trans Identified Males' terminology) have had to ask of themselves, of legislators, of the medical profession, of health insurance companies, and of sports organisations which govern the sports and competitions they wish to participate in, in accordance with their gender. Among those athletes who have had to ask themselves and others these questions, are athletes like the athlete referred to in the opening post -

Iszac Henig - Henig's victory further enraged the already fuming parents of UPenn's female swimmers, one of whom told DailyMail, "I wasn't prepared for that. Everything is messed up. I can't wrap my head around this. The NCAA needs to do something about this. They need to put science into the decision and discussion." Another parent noted, "A man just crushed the women's team." 

Who is Iszac Henig? Female trans swimmer Lia Thomas DEFEATED by trans male competitor | MEAWW

Schuyler Bailar - Schuyler is the first trans athlete to compete in any sport on an NCAA D1 men’s team, and the only to have competed for all four years. He is an internationally-celebrated inspirational speaker and a respected advocate for inclusion, body acceptance, and mental health awareness.

Schuyler graduated from Harvard College in May 2019 with a degree in Cognitive Neuroscience and Evolutionary Psychology. His studies focused on social emotional learning, emotional intelligence, and education. He is a tireless advocate for inclusion through speaking engagements and social media. Schuyler also holds on-going advisory roles with Monte Nido & Affiliates (the leading eating disorder treatment provider), USA Swimming, the Harvard Medical School Primary Care Review – among others – and is a research assistant at Harvard University.

schuylerbailar – pinkmantaray – 1st trans athlete on a D1 men's team in NCAA

Mack Beggs - Mack Beggs will turn 22 in just a couple of weeks, but he confesses that he’s already endured enough obstacles to last him a lifetime.

The former high school Texas state wrestling champion, who gained national media attention throughout 2017 and 2018 for participating in the women’s competition as a transgender man, said that in the last couple of years he’s been recovering from mental health struggles related to the experience.

“I was in a very dark place,” Beggs said, speaking of his freshman year of college after leaving high school. “I had to seek out help, and I’m so glad I did that.”

While competing at high school, in the Dallas area, Beggs — who was born female and transitioned to male — was sued by a parent of one of the female wrestlers he was competing against. Beggs wanted to compete against men, but a state ban limited transgender athletes to teams conforming with the gender on their birth certificate. The fight intensified in 2017, when a bill was introduced in the Texas state Legislature that would have effectively banned him from competing altogether. The bill passed the state Senate, but the Texas House never brought it up for a vote. The lawsuit was dismissed.

Mack Beggs, transgender wrestler who rose to prominence for competing against women: ‘It took a toll on me’ (yahoo.com)

And Chris Mosier - Pedaling his way in traffic, Mosier is owning his moment. He goes into the race with a complete sense of the responsibility he carries as a trailblazer in sports -- and the unavoidable visibility that goes with it.

"I think there have definitely been moments in my athletic career where I just wanted to be another guy on a team -- and not always be the trans athlete. But I made a decision, very early in my transition and in my athletic career as a trans person, to be out, to be public about it," he says. "That's a one-ton decision now because once it's on the internet, it never goes away. There's no just being a regular guy for me.

"So when I made that decision, to be out, to be public, it was very much in the idea that I didn't see any other guys competing at a high level after a medical transition, competing with men. And I thought, people should see that. And by people seeing me, that will impact their ability or their confidence to continue to play sports. And it's up to them, whether or not they want to be out as a trans athlete.

"For many reasons, it's not safe or comfortable for people to be out, and that's a personal decision. It's not something that should be expected. We have plenty of trans athletes out there, playing, who are not out, and some who are out. There are a lot of people out there making history right now, and they just may not be as public as I am."

Chris Mosier is the first out trans athlete to compete in an IOC-regulated world championship event (espn.com)

This idea that transgender men tend to choose to continue in their original, women's category, isn't quite so obvious at all. They just don't come to the attention of the tabloid media is all, is the reason you might be given to thinking that Trans Identified Female athletes tend to choose to continue in their original, women's category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I have no words to describe any “parent” that allows an 8 year old to take hormone/puberty blockers - absolutely disgusting and just another reason why all this nonsense needs to be absolutely rejected in all its forms. The kids should be taken in to care in these cases at a bare minimum.

You said, and I quote : "Ross Tucker an Australian sports specialist involved in developing World Rugby's safety ban on trans women playing with/against biological women".

This is untrue.

World Ruby only oversees International - it does not determine what happens in domestic unions.

Here is the situation re: Transgender women playing at International level:

• "Transgender women who transitioned pre-puberty and have not experienced the biological effects of testosterone during puberty and adolescence can play women's rugby (subject to confirmation of medical treatment and the timing thereof)"
    • "Transgender women who transitioned post-puberty and have experienced the biological effects of testosterone during puberty and adolescence cannot currently play women's rugby

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/guidelines/transgender/women

And all your bluff and bluster referring to puberty blockers (which are not experimental and are used in relation to early onset of puberty too) doesn't change the fact that transgender women can and do play rugby union against 'biological' women. Nor does waving your hands around and telling us what you 'don't think', or what you aren't sure of - look it up.

I'll get you started with the IRFU's policy:

"Those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category under the following conditions: ▪ 2.1. The player has declared that her gender identity is female. The declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years. ▪ 2.2. The player must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition). ▪ 2.3 The player’s total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10 nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category. ▪ 2.4. Compliance with these conditions may be monitored by testing. In the event of non-compliance, the player’s eligibility for female competition will be suspended for 12 months. ▪ Players will be eligible in the female category when they supply IRFU HQ will above medical information stated in 2.2 and 2.3 from their GP and completes the declaration form in Appendix 1"

https://d19fc3vd0ojo3m.cloudfront.net/irfu/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/30154140/IRFU-Transgender-Guidance-2019.pdf

As for your " there is no ban on transgender people playing any sport at all anyway. They can all play in the category in which they were born, on condition that any drug treatment they take doesn't eliminate them." - I have seen that, for want of a better word, argument before but then it was "homosexuals can marry, they can marry someone of the opposite sex".

• Advertisement

I have words for keyboard warriors who declare people are bad parents and children should be taken into care when they know zero about either the children or their parents, and believe they know better than the medical practitioners treating these children.

Tell me DarkJager21 - what are your medical qualifications? Or are you a qualified therapist? What experience do you have with gender dysphoria?

Care to share your learned rebuttal of this article in The Lancet?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587%2817%2930099-2/fulltext

Advertisement