Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0407/1290906-ukraine-refugees-ireland/

77 unaccompanied minors have arrived in Ireland from Ukraine

Chief Executive of the Children's Rights Alliance Tanya Ward has said that 77 unaccompanied minors have arrived in Ireland from Ukraine.

That must be some tough decision, sending your children to another country on their own.

What makes you think that? This poster is retired private sector. I’m sorry now that my curiosity got the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There's hundreds arrive from elsewhere every year ,

Makes it easier for the families who then follow

But you know that isn't the reason in this case. Their parents are already welcom to come & stay. There is no benefit in sending kids alone in this case. I find it very sad

There are a lot of problems associated with welcoming these refugees here, but the fact that they bring their pets with them is the least of them. The people that complain about this are the same one’s that don’t have pets themselves. I’d be more disgusted if I learned they had left their dogs behind.

You have a greater risk of dying from Covid in Ireland than you do of catching rabies in the Ukraine (“This shows how well the vaccines are working…”, ha, ha). Get real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

It was never going to work, and I'd expect the range of issue that it throws up to be beyond the capacity of the Irish Red Cross to manage. Giving them the job was a hospital pass of a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Wow, you really picked an appropriate username.

These people have left everything behind to flee a war zone, somehow managed to get all the way here with their beloved pets...and you're on here berating them for it. What did you expect them to do? Abandon their pets en masse and let millions of little animals starve and die on top of all the human misery? Do you realise how little notice they got that they'd need to leave with only the clothes on their back in some cases and leave behind their fathers, brothers and sons? You don't think Irish people, or any people would do the same?

This immigration situation is FAR from ideal for anyone but where the **** is your humanity? Do you not have any empathy at all like? Do you know the history of your own country and culture? Do you know how many millions of us were starved or forced to flee?

After everything that's unfolded in the last month THIS is what you're taking issue with? You're barking up the wrong tree, pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

How the hell? 77?

What ever about crossing the border into Poland? Stick your kid on a flight right across the length of Europe without anyone with them!! That's nuts.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to be sent unaccompanied across multiple countries before landing here unaccompanied , it's not fair on the kids or the system which is already under pressure from elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

How are other countries handling it?

Europe is helping Ukraine, we aren't unique

• Advertisement

A minor would be 17 wouldn't they, still not great but you might just want to send them as far away as possible.

Without just the details and ages involved, hard to read into, majority had family here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I doubt anyone would stick their child randomly on a plane to far away country.

There may be auntie or grandma on that plane and child become unaccompanied after landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

My apologies. I've seen you post in some thread or forum related to some DSP thing. Can't recall exactly but you had the knowledge of someone who worked there I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was on rte online news NOT that they were returning to their homes as these may be bombed out but to family members and to fight.

See also Ukrainians return home to reunite with family, join fighting – video | World news | The Guardian.

Sorry cannot paste url, Brave souls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A lot of families are choosing here as we are English speaking and someone in the family has some English. It's a generalisation but has some truth from those I've gotten to know. Obviously some have no English but are busy taking classes.

Most of them want to work. I've organised jobs for 3 people in the past few weeks though contacts. A lot of them are professionals at home and had good jobs. I've spoken to a teacher and a physiologist who are now cleaning offices and doing shop work.

Spoke to one guy who is here with his family from kherson. He works on the oil rigs in the North Sea and wants to get back to it and look after his family.

What is evident is that they are all Traumatised without exception. Many have left husbands, sons and parents behind. Women and kids are struggling to deal with what they left and adjusting to life here.

They're not even here a few weeks and being moved around just as they've begun to settle and gotten work. So much for being able to fend for themselves and reduce the states financial input. They've to give up their jobs and start again.

Some think the use of tents etc will slow down the numbers coming here.

What's vital is that the government provide supports for households taking people in and the vetting of accommodation being speeded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This is very idealistic thinking.

The ask was "offer accommodation for 6 months - year". If anyone actually believes that then they will believe anything. Do you really think in 6 months we're going to have equally good accommodation for all the refugees??? And when the 6 months arrives and they don't have accommodation for them...are people going to be able kick them out onto the streets? No.

I'm not against taking refugees in. Take them in if you want. I'm just highlighting the fact these people are not hamsters you stick in a cage and sit them in the corner of the room and feed and water once a day. These are real people, with real needs. Just think of the reality. A refugee and her son moves in, they don't speak english. How do you communicate? She'll be worrying about her husband back in Ukraine, maybe she finds out he's been killed. How do you deal with that? What about the kid? Going to school? How will the kid get to school? Bike? Bus? Uniforms? GAA Clubs?

If taking in people was so easy, why haven't these people taken in kids from rich French people? I know a family who does it. They take in 2 or 3 teenagers for a few months over from France and they get around 200 a week from each of them.

These are people, just like you or I. And although they are refugees, it doesn't mean they're going to sit quietly in their room and you just hand in a tray of food and that's that. They'll want to live their lives and just like all humans, there's a fair share of assholes. In all my years of house sharing, I've discovered about 50% of people are dirty, messy and/or weird.

I just have no sympathy for people complaining now after they've taken people in. What else did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Textbook grandstanding, with no cliche left out. I salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

You are not far smarter than everyone who took people in. Everything you said will have been considered by many. Unfortunately it won't work out with some people, there will not be a 100% success rate. There are many reasons circumstances can change and things may not work out also. I know you think you are far smarter than anyone taking people in but perhaps many have already carefully considered things before taking people into their homes. People are not the idiots you take them for, they actually have the ability to think critically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Im confused. I took it for granted if you took in a refugee you got some financial compensation?

• Advertisement

It is amazing though. Kids can wait years for vital operations but we can conjure up a couple of billion just like that for Ukrainians. Dont get me wrong we should take in refugees but what about our own kids needs??

It's also amazing if we are really in a housing crisis that these fair deal homes were not rented compulsorily before??

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah. No. Thats naive at best. There is a form of direct provision being planned right now. City West contract 2 years. Hotels booked out. Warehouses going to be used.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Living in sports halls for 2-3 years just wont work

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"fair" doesn't exist at the moment in Ukraine.

I watched drone footage today of a 6 year watching his parents being executed.

No parent if they are still alive will flippantly send a minor to the border unless they had good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

What were they expecting it to be like?

I can appreciate the sentiment behind it but they were naive!

Eh, no.

You should Google what is Direct Provision. These people aren't waiting to be approved to live & work in Ireland or for RSI numbers. People in direct provision are in limbo. They get pocket money & have very few rights.

Ukraines in Ireland aren't in limbo. Within hours of landing they get RSI number They get full welfare benefits. They are allowed to work full or part time. They can come & go as they please. They can live anywhere they want or can get accommodation. They are entitled to rent allowance and HAP.

City West contract is for 2 years. This doesn't mean that the same people will be living there for 2 years. It doesn't even mean that it will be used for 2 years. It is set up as a short term hub. There is no plan to house people long term there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think to be fair to Ireland they’ll be well looked after here as there’s an intrinsic sense of decency and duty ingrained in Irish people. They are lucky (if that’s the right word) to get here. The problems are of course still huge and this is a good thread to tease them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The Irish Times is wrong here (quelle surprise). The tenant applies for HAP and it is granted subject to them being considered as “in need of housing” by the local authority AND a means test.

• Advertisement

Is better then living in a war zone

We don't have the houses to put them in unless the modular option is taken, which would be interesting to see given it would mean waiving standards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement