Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Not really. Waterford could beat Limerick in their first match, beat them in the Munster Final and lose to Limerick on the All Ireland Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Looks like a Munster All Ireland again. Anybody see the Galway named panel for the Championship think no Niall Burke and no Sean Loftus on it, maybe for other reasons I don’t know. Waterford look very good at the moment but Limerick have their number lately in championship, but the two best teams in the country IMO, Waterford have serious depth.

We’ve a good chance in Leinster but it’ll be close but should end up the top 2. Billy Ryan, Paudie Walsh and Mossy all put in good scores in the league but would expect TJ to replace Mossy in the full forwaed line at some stage. A lot of counties now are allowing the opposition centre forward to drift and pick up scores so the #6 can sweep up and deliver in good ball to the forwards, De Burca, Coleman, Foley. Richie Reid is better hurler, passer and shooter than Paddy Deegan so he should be #6 I reckon with the current game. Can see why A. Murphy and Kenny are inde middle both work hard and good hurlers but Alan has always been a bad tackler and gives away too much frees, granted if there’s no TJ he has to play for the frees tho. Overall a good league IMO and we’ll never be a million miles off with our work rate and style but no matter what manager we have this year we shouldn’t be expected to contend for more than Leinster. Would I be surprised if we won Leinster and lost another semi in similar fashion to the last 2? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

U20 KK team had a good win over Tipp in a challenge match in Dunmore on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

Richie Reid is not is the same stratosphere as De Burca and Coleman etc., he does not have the pace or aggressiveness of these players. He is 29, never a regular, Coleman and De Burca have years of experience playing this role.

Blanchfield and Carey add pace which is great to see but Kilkenny severely lace pace in the middle third, Buckley, Kenny, Murphy, Deegan and possibly Richie Reid all lack pace

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Just to play devils advocate for a minute..was thinking about richie Hogan over the weekend..is there a possibility that Cody is actually being kind to richie by keeping him around..is he giving him every chance to regain form/fitness out of respect for what he has done in the past and richie simply unable to step up again.

Not sure if I believe that myself just putting it out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

100% agree with that we do lack pace around there just my personal preference at 6 would be Reid but Deegan seems to have that spot. Think the players had a weekend away over the last few days. Can’t see Hogan getting much game time myself

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Any idea what the team was? Seemed to be a decent performance against Cork last week too! Hopefully we are shaping up nicely for U-20 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

We could benefit this year from the change in rules where you aren’t allowed play U20 if you play any senior championship. Anyone know when this rule came in? It’s been in since start of U20 in football as Clifford never played U20 with Kerry.

Henry has 3 Galway U20s (Gavin Lee, Tiernan Killeen and Greg Thomas) in the Galway squad and all 3 could see action in coming weeks which would rule them out.

Limerick also have 3 U20s involved with seniors with at least two of them likely to see senior action in coming weeks.

This also does point to serious conditioning work being down in both those counties to have 6 players on cusp of championship senior starting slots.

All three Limerick players were on a minor team that was hammered by Kilkenny 3 years ago, yet not one Kilkenny U20 is near starting with seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I wouldn’t say there’d be no one near starting but two of the u20 Joe Fitzpatrick and Timmy Clifford are good prospects for the future.

Perhaps if they were from the Village or O"Loughlins they would be in already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It looks like it will be a young u20 team with a few good prospects but not a vintage team. Its a pity Liam Moore didn't rejoin the squad anyone at the county final would of seen him causing darrragh corcoran plenty of problems.

Heard kilkenny were away for a few days but it wasn't Carlton house I was told. There's plenty of work to do over the next few weeks and a few places up for grabs. The galway match In round 3 should be a cracker and I'd be more confident than I was a few years ago going up to salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

The 2019 minor team outperformed all expectations by getting to the minor AI final if I remember correctly and the general consensus prior to that Limerick match was that Limerick were the team to beat at that grade. The majority of that minor team was made up of lads from junior and intermediate clubs which is unusual enough in itself.

It was bolstered by the lads who had another year of eligibility like Timmy Clifford, Billy Reid, Billy Drennan and Zach Bay Hammond (pity he isn’t still hurling). So I’d be expecting next year’s u20 team to have a few lads who won’t be far off making the senior panel.

Strength and conditioning definitely needs to be a greater focus to fast track lads into the senior setup (which seems to be occurring now in the development squads from what I can gather). Still, it’s no harm to have lads play at their own age group since it probably signals that our depth is decent enough at senior level that we don’t quite need the likes of Ian Byrne yet.

Massive year for Derek Lyng and with the u20s. Kilkenny really need this crop to deliver, backboned by 2 teams that contested All Ireland Minor Finals. We need that bit of excitement around the county that can only be created by underage teams winning All Irelands and young players stepping up on the big occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Just off topic a little but does anyone know for sure if Kilkenny will revert to minor club being back at U18 next year. This was passed unanimously back in December at the convention but haven't heard a whole lot since.

Certainly having 12 teams plus Naas in the Minor A league this year should strengthen the competition and teams with county players will have them back with their clubs by the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The vote at convention was to support the motion being put forward to Congress as far as I know. Kilkenny won't make a move themselves so they'll have to wait for this GAA working group which was proposed at Congress causing the motions to be withdrawn. Who knows when the results of that will appear and how it will influence any decision

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Move back to under 18 will never happen unfortunately. The powers that be at congress were close to getting their motion through regarding intercounty U-19 and are putting the focus on getting that over the line next year instead.

Every person I speak to in any county would favour a return to under 18 strongly so I don't get where county boards and GAA top brass feel that under 19 is wanted. Seems to be a serious disconnect to feelings on the ground.

I don't see an U19 intercounty comp working in the current calender. Most people are doing TY now and it means they're doing the LC at 18 turning 19.

Although to be fair that's based anectodally on the lads I know rather than any stats. Maybe that doesn't follow through across the country. Lads born in Jan-March are more likely to start a year earlier I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Why do you say that it will never happen? If our county board have agreed at our convention then i presume they will have this recognised at congress?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

60% of counties a recent convention voted to move to under 19. They were just shy of the 2/3rds majority so the top brass are going to bring it back up again with a few tweaks to get it over the line next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

Kilkenny championship panel has been named on sportsfile:

Gk: E Murphy, D Brennan, D Mason

Def: M Butler, D Mullen, H Lawlor, C Delaney, E Cody, T Walsh, D Corcoran, J Burke, M Carey, N Brassil, C Heary, P Deegan, R Reid, M Kenny, D Blanchfield, C Browne, S Murphy

Mid: C Buckley, C Forgarty, J Maher, A Murphy, R Leahy, C Kenny

Forwards: W Walsh, J Donnelly, C Prendiville, TJ, P Walsh, B Cody, A Mullen, T Phelan, B Ryan, J Bergin, T O'Dwyer, M Keoghan, R Hogan, J Walsh, E Cody, S Walsh, C Bolger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Looks abit Big. Are the championship panels not meant to be around 34 or 35.??

Well done. I've never seen a Kilkenny panel before. Great way of finding it.

I had heard there was a wider panel consisting of an extra ten of which 3 opted out. If the additional 7 or so are willing to offer their services fair play to them. Clearly the appetite and interest from the players is there despite all the rumours of unhappiness over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

Just heard the Shamrocks have a new management team. Pat Hoban manager , Niall Lacey Physical Trainer and James Meagher coach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

After all the talk about young lads and picking your team Kilkenny still can't field an up to age minor team.

Who are the lads not up to the age? Greg Kelly is one I believe. Not sure of the age profile of the rest of the team.

Murphy the full back is another

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Is it not the same in every county? Ie if you're good enough you're old enough

• Advertisement

In case you just landed from Mars or cane down in the last shower. Its quite obvious we are not good enough for years. For a county that prioritizes hurling to say we can't find 15 lads up to age speaks volumes of either the club coaching or county selection system. These chaos were being talked about when they were 13. No one even went looking for alternatives

Advertisement