Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2022 thread

Options

Comments

He can still pay the bills and not need to look at him standing in the fairway. Waiting to hit a shot.

If they are going to do that they should at least throw a sponsor on his back and maybe a giant illuminous sign over him at all times really monitize him, givien people are using it as some kind of argument towards the over the top coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Pathetically selfish. Not just Lyle . There are others who have had fine careers , had the luck to win the Masters and have had many good days at Augusta. The organisers should shunt them out of it after a certain age ,say, around sixty.

Who the hell anyway wants to be watching aging hasbeens spraying bogeys all over the place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

They aren't keeping anyone else from Playing, they never get shown on tv, and they all essentially get grouped together and kept out of the way.

What is the obession people have with trying to turn the masters into Another wgc, it's all the little things that make it what it is,

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Agreed. 60 should be the max. There's always the seniors tour if they want to carry on playing competitively. They've had enough years of glory and the spotlight, and I personally think it makes a mockery of the tournament having so many old farts wheeled out every year.

A few more up and coming amateurs should take their places.

And/or expand it to the top 60 or 70 in the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That par miss by McIlroy on 14 from maybe 5 feet was infuriating. Back to level par. That could mess with his head, with the par 5 15th next.

You're entitled to your opinion but they're still using up course time that others could have.

And it's Augusta itself that makes the Masters, not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

And McIlroy missed birdie on 15. That's 2 dropped shots in a row really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

There are only four former champions over the age of 60 in the field. One of which finished in the top 30 18 months ago.

Nobody else would have that course time!!!

And i don't understand your last sentence. It's lots and lots of things put together that makes the Masters, the Masters.

The Green Jacket, Amen Corner, The Butler Cabin, Rae's Creek, Hogan Bridge, the Champions Dinner, Par 3 Contest, calling the fans "Patrons" and the rough "Secondary Cut as silly as it is, and numerous other small things including bringing past champions back - all contribute to make it what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

how are they using up course time that others could have? If they don’t play then their spot doesn’t go to anyone else, you do realise that?

I appreciate that.

I don't believe any former champions should automatically have a place, except maybe for the previous year. It's the prestige tournament of the year and it's my personal view that your place there should be earned on rankings alone. Some players may only get a single chance of playing at Augusta in their whole career, and instead the field has 40, 50, 60 yr olds, whatever, who've long stopped playing professionally, or are playing the Seniors Tour now.

Of course that's just my opinion and others are entitled to have theirs.

You said a few posts up that up and coming amateurs should take their place. How would that be based on ranking alone?

Also your logic would dictate that Tiger should have no place there this year. Even though he's won it 5 times and as recently as 3 years ago. Yeah?

Degag - You said a few posts up that up and coming amateurs should take their place. How would that be based on ranking alone?

I meant replacing the over 60's, such as Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, etc. However many, the top of the amateur rankings should take their places.

Degag - Also your logic would dictate that Tiger should have no place there this year. Even though he's won it 5 times and as recently as 3 years ago. Yeah?

So what right does that give him? He's won sweet f a last year but he's taking the place of a guy who has worked his way up to 51st in the rankings with a series of good finishes, yet doesn't qualify. I hate this living on past glories crap.

As I said before, I've posted an opinion. If you don't agree fair enough, but you don't have to get your knickers in a bunch over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

All the old dudes playing are past champions so they have earned their spots, I turned on the tv years ago and an elderly man was hitting a tee shot, the commentators were fawning over him and saying how great he was and I hadn’t a clue what was going on, turns out it was Billy Casper, the 1970 masters champion, he was about 6 stone overweight and should have been in a nursing home, but fair play to the chap for turning up, I thought he must have been one of the ceremonial starters, but I just looked it up, and he hit the deck in 2015, aged 83, in the 2001 masters he shot 87-80 and missed the cut by a few, he withdrew from the 2005 masters after shooting 106 in the first round, including a 14 on a par 3. But on the other hand he won 51 PGA tour titles, including 3 majors, as opposed to the zero wins or zero majors that internet know all’s including myself will ever win. Hard to know where to stand on this issue, but all the adulation for golfers is over the top in most cases, except for the likes of Tom Watson who was a true great, and nearly won a major at 59 years old, and interestingly Tom Watson won the Australian open in 1984, and played in the 2012 edition, at 63 years old, shooting the low round on Sunday at -3, when 6 out of 69 players broke par, and the other 5 all shot -1. The tournament was won by Australian Peter Senior, who was 53 at the time, and who won the Australian Masters at the age of 56, when an American amateur named Bryson DeChambeau finished tied 2nd. So there’s a counter argument in a way, as is Bernhard Langer, who is 62, plays consistently, and shot +4 today, the same score as Justin Thomas and Bryson DeChambeau.

Yes I do realise that.

My point is that the course slots allocated to them should be given to extra players down the ranking. In other words expand the field a little, at the expense of taking the old fogeys out. I realise it will never happen, but I think the Masters is such a special event that more current tour players should have the opportunity of playing it, as opposed to the Dad's Army brigade who've had their time.

What knickers and what twist? You posted an opinion, yes. Do you think that by just saying ‘hey, thats my opinion,” that debate should then be stifled? This is a message board, most of our posts are opinions on something.

You are contradicting yourself. In one part you want to give places to up and coming amateurs - who, as their status suggests, have won nothing of note yet. But you want to give them an outing in the biggest golf tournament in the world…. To what…. Give them some experience? Cause they have as much chance of winning it as the over 60s.

In another part you bemoan the 51st ranked golfer not getting in instead of Tiger Woods cause he’s had some good results. So should a decent amateur get in instead of no51 or vice versa? And either way, they’d be ahead of Tiger anyhow?

Cameron Tringale i believe at no52 in the world is the highest ranked player not eligible to play this week. A fine player no doubt, has to be to get to no52. He may well win big in the future but currently he is winless on the pga tour barring an unofficial team event 8 years ago.

He should go to Augusta ahead of the likes of Tiger Woods? Really?

The whole Augusta thing is about how prestigious and amazing and immaculate it is they could still easily have the top 70 and the aul boys but they don't want that.

They want it to be hard to get to it helps build the whole persona and when you are in you are in.

Weather or not you like it but this is the gimmick and it works most players would pick a masters over any other.

The aul lads do no harm they don't keep anyone out they don't disturb other better golfers being out there,. They have earned the right it's a part of the masters experience, honestly if you don't scroll down to the bottom Of the leader board you wouldn't even know they were there for the most part.

I'll take my masters with a slice of history and not more like a soulless wgc

@Degag - It's lots and lots of things put together that makes the Masters, the Masters.

The Green Jacket, Amen Corner, The Butler Cabin, Rae's Creek, Hogan Bridge, the Champions Dinner, Par 3 Contest, calling the fans "Patrons" and the rough "Secondary Cut as silly as it is, and numerous other small things including bringing past champions back - all contribute to make it what it is.

Well what do you know. I've been both playing and watching golf for almost 50 years (a big chunk of that off +4) and never knew all that!!

I mentioned only the fact of returning champions from years ago and old farts who no longer play on the main tours being scrapped. I never said about dispensing in any way with the "lots and lots of things put together that makes the Master, the Masters".

It's my opinion, and unless I'm very much mistaken you are allowed to express opinions on a discussion forum.

If you don't agree fair enough. But I don't need to be lectured to by you with your perceived superior golfing knowledge. And, for your information, you're not "discussing" things with me - you're trying to be a smart ass, obviously desperate to get some perverse pleasure out of proving me wrong on some point. Keep trying.

@Degag - He should go to Augusta ahead of the likes of Tiger Woods? Really?

Yes. Cameron Tringale has had plenty high finishes this past 12 months. Tiger Woods has had nothing (and I do realise he's not been playing). I believe players should earn their tournament places, not gift wrapped places based on results from years ago. Again, that's my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Go ahead and have the last word if you want. You seem just that type... smug, arrogant, conceited and condescending. If you were not so sarcastic and trying to project that you're the "fountain of all golfing knowledge" in everything you say, then I would have been happy to have a decent discussion with you. But I wont be replying again. I have far better things to do than read the tripe that you write.

@goldenmick I never said about dispensing in any way with the "lots and lots of things put together that makes the Master, the Masters".

I never said you did. You said "And it's Augusta itself that makes the Masters, not them"

I merely responding to say that it's alot of things that make the Masters special

@goldenmick It's my opinion, and unless I'm very much mistaken you are allowed to express opinions on a discussion forum.

If you don't agree fair enough. But I don't need to be lectured to by you with your perceived superior golfing knowledge. And, for your information, you're not "discussing" things with me - you're trying to be a smart ass, obviously desperate to get some perverse pleasure out of proving me wrong on some point. Keep trying.

Go ahead and have the last word if you want. You seem just that type... smug, arrogant, conceited and condescending. If you were not so sarcastic and trying to project that you're the "fountain of all golfing knowledge" in everything you say, then I would have been happy to have a decent discussion with you. But I wont be replying again. I have far better things to do than read the tripe that you write.

Of course you are allowed an opinion. We all are. Opinions are there to be challenged on a discussion forum though, yes?

I'm not entirely sure where I've shown any instance of smugness, arrogance, conceitedness, condescension, sarcasm, smart assedness, perverseness or omniscience that you deem me to be showing. I'm merely disagreeing with you and challenging your opinions.

I think the worst thing i did was tell you that you were contradicting yourself. Which you were. You wanted players from outside the top 50 to gain entry to the Masters at the expense of the older generation yet simultaneously wanting more amateurs in the field who would surely curtail the number of 50+ ranked players also?

That's fine if you don't want to engage anymore but don't expect to post your opinions on a message board and not get challenged on them from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This debate comes up every year during the Masters. The Augusta commitee march to the beat of their own drum, if they want past winners there, then they will be allowed to be there. It’s a fact that during coverage of all majors, there are players who are never seen on our TVs, so I don’t see why people have an issue with former winners playing. If Sandy pulled out sick, would Augusta let another player above the 50 cut off in? That’s all you need to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wind getting up today should make it very difficult for the afternoon starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

He's not that type of member. Nick faldo was on a podcast and said that the past champions can come back and play once a year I think it was. Other than that they're looking for member invites.

Correct, they are honorary members rather than members and do not have the benefits of full membership. Though I think they are entitled to play more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I enjot the Masters and all of the pomp that goes with it including past champions playing etc.

But id have no time for Augusta golf itself. Lets not forget it was a seriously racist and sexist organisation for most of its existence. Some of the stories you'd read are off putting to say the least.

Anyway back to the golf.

I think the Woods hype will die down today when he drops a few shots. Physically you cant see him surviving out there.

McIlroy needs to empty his head and stop over thinking things. Just hit the ball as well as he knows he can and dont worry. He needs to stop making silly mistakes.

DJ looks sharp and consistent for the best part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I don’t understand people giving out about Tiger ,once he’s retired the game won’t be the same, will there ever be another like him or Jack, I hope so but it’s not guaranteed, and he still has it even with a fused back and gimpy leg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Masters, unique by design, both the course, the week and the field

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Anyone got any idea why the Masters site is giving the tee times in IST ( Indian Standard Time)?

Advertisement