Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Thanks. I replaced the pads just before lockdown so I think they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Hydraulic systems like that are closed systems, but it's almost impossible for them to be completely sealed.

A bleed and top-up might solve the problem, but I'd be having a look for leaks at any joints, as well as the possibility of a perished seal at the caliper

Here's one. Can you get some sort of aftermarket chainring guard so that I don't put any more holes in the legs of my jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could also just save money and go with the Lemmy look...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Thanks I'll try bleeding it and top up first and look for leaks and the seal then. Is a perished seal easy to replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would anyone know if there is a LBS that sells 16g non threaded CO2 cartridges? Decathlon only have threaded and Halfords dont sell them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Can't remember if they're 16g,but the homebrew shops sell them .

yeah its for the purpose of a mini beer keg I need them but my usual online homebrew shop is out of stock atm and theres no bricks and mortar homebrew shops in Dublin anymore. So was hoping someone might know of a cycle shop selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Rosahane

HPC (Formerly McCarthys) in Prosperous sell them in their Hunting &Fishing shop. They’re used for air soft pistol as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does the artisan brew academy on high street sell them? or are they still going?

Their website is still up anyway but Im not sure if they sell homebrew supplies. I found a company in NI this morning that has them and they ship for £6 so not too bad as Im stocking up with about 50 of them to last a year. Anyway thanks for the help and suggestions all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

something i'd not come across before - picked up a trek hybrid from a friend to service it for them (it's not been used in years), saw it needed an allen key to get the wheels off. 5mm allen key was too small, reached for the 6mm, and it wouldn't fit. then i copped it needs a pentagonal allen key. are these common? i'd never seen it before.

Yeah in those tool sets you get that are like bits rather than full size keys in their own right.

EDIT: Actually had a look at the ones I was thinking of they appear to be hex too. but are different to regular allen bitsin that they are deeply scored vertically so would be more of a star ?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Reconditioning a caliper is not really difficult, but having looked online it doesn't seem like Shimano offer rebuild kits or replacement seals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

They are an anti theft device.

Have one on dynamo front wheel on fixed/pub/shop bike

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

just fitted my first Conti 25c 5000 (non tubeless) went on straight from the box easily!....to replace a 4000IIs

wheel is an old DT swiss R23 spline(early tubeless design but always used tubes)....the tyre looks a LOT thinner and lower profile than the front wheel which still has an ok 4000IIs on (do have another new 5000s got a pair on Mantel )

1. is this the case ? ( one of the pluses of the wheel tyre combo was it had a ballon effect making a 25c tyre more 26-27c)
    2. also is it ok to have 2 diff tyres on.... which def now have diff widths ?

cheers, i was in decathlon when i saw this so knew what to look for; they don't sell the key on its own, but as part of a set including seat clamp and two wheel skewers; i wasn't going to pay 20 quid considering i might replace them with normal QR anyway.

also on the topic of the old bike; suggestions for rust removal? i'll probably try the balled up aluminium trick on the FD, but i suspect it won't work on the chainrings (have yet to decide whether to disassemble that to clean up)

If you want to keep what's left of the chrome, wet aluminium is your best bet all right.

The chainrings aren't chromed, so vinegar, electrolysis etc would work well. Or just some fine sandpaper

• Advertisement

fine sandpaper i have lots of. i wonder would a quick spray of laquer help in preventing the rust returning? the bike is in remarkably good nick for one that was sitting outside (though possibly sheltered) for a couple of years. i reckon the chain is quite usable, though far from pretty looking. tyres are shot though.

I'm not sure about the lacquer. I know that clear coating bare steel doesn't stop rust

i should have called around as they'd have recognised me straight away, but i rang my usual bike shop this morning and explained the situation with the five sided allen key, and got a polite but firm 'no, we don't do that'. another nearby place did it for free without missing a beat. was kinda funny, the mechanic was simultaneously nice, grumpy and patronising all at the same time. must be like what being mansplained to is like were i a woman.

Excellent. Photos of the project as it progresses

ah, it's just a clean and tune up really. the bike is in better nick than i expected, just needs cleaning, oiling and tuning up. and new tyres.

as mentioned, the mechanic in the bike shop was kinda funny; he was desperate for me to be wrong. i half muttered to myself 'i should have sprayed some penetrating oil on that' as i was handing him the bike (just to make it easier to get the nuts off if they'd seized) and he gave me a few arch lines about how oil would not have prevented rust. then i mentioned that i needed to get the wheels off as the tyres were shot and he said dismissively 'there's *nothing* wrong with those tyres' so i held the wheel up for him to see and his reaction was 'jesus, those tyres are ****ed'.

as mentioned, he was nice in the end, but christ help someone who didn't know about bikes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d take them off the bike and just scrub them with the rough side of a dish sponge. If that doesn’t work then add some vinegar. Then if that doesn’t work fine sand paper.

I think I can see some blistering though, so there is a chance you just need new chain rings.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have rust removal gel and that freezing spray if you're stuck

i might borrow your crank puller again...

i got the outer chainring off and even rubbing the inner with aluminium foil helps, but in places there's bare uncoated steel so will rust again quickly.

Hi there. I bought new Hunt wheels and went to swap them tonight. I took the disc rotors off the old wheels but when I went to put them back on the Hunt wheels the lock ring seems to be a different size and pattern and the lock ring tool won't lock the rotor back on as it's too small. Are there different sized lock ring tools and where would I get the right one to put the rotors on?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement