Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In your scenario, if the UNSC voted for a peacekeeping mission in Northern Ireland, but the UK blocked it with a veto, then, even if the EU decided to participate without a UN mandate in that peacekeeping mission, we would be unable to do so, thanks to your constitutional Triple Lock.

You never get beyond the kneejerk reaction, do you? So funny to see where you end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Already said what we should have done in that situation - many many times, on this thread as well as others.

But we can't, if we have a constitutional triple lock.

Calling it a "humanitarian" mission won't wash with a Supreme Court judge.

Kneejerk stuff again from you. Hilarious.

Yes we can.

We can do what the British do and just refuse to recognise the UN when it suits us.

Or Russia when they want to annex Crimea.

We would probably have paid a price for our action but sometimes the moral imperative outweighs concerns about the punishment (which I have already said, I don't think would have amounted to much)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The Nato countries, and in particular the bigger contributors, are all doing very nicely out of the arms industry, earning millions from the wars in Iraq, Yemen etc etc. If Ireland were to join we would need to get into that money spinner and we don't have the heavy industry for that.

We do have surplus young people for any wars though. So that would be a win, reducing unemployment and the need for housing. However these wars mean refugees and if we, as the best little boy in Europe, are already taking in thousands of refugees from this war, which started with the Nato-backed coup, then we would be in a lose-lose situation.

• Advertisement

Ooooh, so now you are suggesting we should ignore our own Constitution.

First, you want to put a Triple Lock into the Constitution giving the UK a veto over our military, and then you think we can just ignore our own Constitution when it suits us.

Which other bits of our Constitution do you want us to ignore when it suits us?

Good for a laugh is all you are.

Wow there horse...who said anything about putting the triple lock in the Constitution?

Are you setting up arguments for people so you can rail against them again?

Look, the Triple Lock is going nowhere, conclusive numbers don't want to join NATO so the argument is kinda over blanch. Not really interested in what your moral compass would be satisfied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You didn't answer my question yet again, how would Ireland giving rid of the Triple Lock usher in a new era of Imperialism and Colonialism?

On your post, sure who cares about rules as you advocate breaking and ignoring them anyway if the time comes to invade the North?

LOLZ

I said you seemed to want the 'days of colonialism and imperialism back' (which you never had any problem with) if you wanted to allow us to waltz into anywhere we want militarily or otherwise. That is what you want to do after all, is it not?

*In an instance when we were taking action to aid our own people in what we constitutionally claimed to be our own island, I said we would have been morally right to proceed.

I said you seemed to want the 'days of colonialism and imperialism back' (which you never had any problem with) if you wanted to allow us to waltz into anywhere we want militarily or otherwise. That is what you want to do after all, is it not?

What kind of weird lie is this?

You do know there is a difference in advocating getting rid of the Triple lock, which lets us the Irish people have more say in our defence policy and advocating random invasions of other countries because we can? You do see a difference here, right? Because of those that cannot, I would question their ability to reason and their level of reading comprehension...

It is most peculiar that you, the most ardent Irish Republican poster on this board, would advocate that old Imperialist powers like Russia, France and Britain have a big big say in how Ireland manages its defence policy? And yet, you say are a Republican? You are utterly confused and beyond redemption, I think, but we all know this.

• Advertisement

*In an instance when we were taking action to aid our own people in what we constitutionally claimed to be our own island, I said we would have been morally right to proceed.

So, ignore the Triple Lock if the time and situation suits you?

Then why in gods name are you dying on this hill when in the next sentence you would advocate just ignoring it? Its bi-polar type of reasoning.

No, you cannot say that future governments will perform to your whims mark. You give them the power you accept the consequences, whatever they might be.

And AGAIN, I do not advocate anything...I have repeatedly said 'it is the best thing we have got'. It is not perfect.

We wouldn't have been entering another country Mark. Constitutionally, at that time, we laid claim to NI, you might have missed that.

Francie, you are either a Republican or you are not.

You are a fake Republican, you talk the talk, but you are all mouth. You are advocating that in case another government is voted in (BY THE PEOPLE) that may have a different viewpoint to you, we need to lock something down in case they change their mind.*

You are NOT a democrat Francie. You are an apologist for murderers, propagandists, Pro-Putin and Pro-Kremlin talking points. You should really have a long hard look at yourself in the mirror.

*You do realise that a government can change the triple lock anyway in the future?

Oh right, the Constitution of Ireland is sacrosanct and supersedes the rules of NATO, the UN and international Law.....

I am sure all the other members of the UN and NATO will understand that, when they take their turn dismantling our state.

LOLZ

It's hilarious in a way the rabbit holes you dig for yourself, Francie. You die on a hill for the Triple lock, giving past imperial powers a huge say in Ireland's defence policy, then in the same breath you say, "Sure, we can march into another NATO country, and it will be grand because of our constitution, and sure to hell with the triple lock in this case...."

You come across as a bit deranged tbh.

Francie misses the yoke of the British and wants them to have a veto over the use of our armed forces. It is the Stockholm Syndrome at play.

Like they 'dismantled' Russia after it invaded Ukraine and annexed Crimea mark? You know that is not how it works, please live in the real world. Just a couple years after they did that even Irieland was over there glad handing them and looking for their vote at the UN.

LOLZ indeed. Wait'll blanch arrives with his 'we'd have been bombed back to the stone age' stuff because we sent an aid mission in to help our own people. LOLZ again.

It is quite amazing how he twists and turns in logic. In a few weeks if Sinn Fein do a u-turn and are ok with NATO, he will be on here telling us how Mary-Lou made them change and isn't it great.

Logic?

Mark and Blanch for years on here: 'You cannot enter another country to aid people or you'll be bombed back to the stone age and ostracized from the international community'

Also Mark and Blanch: 'what do you mean you want a triple lock on where we send our defence forces? We want to be able to send them where we want to'.

😁😁

This post sums up your attitude to boards.

Firstly, you completely misrepresent my posts. Secondly, you make statements that are not consistent. So, to clarify for the last time:

(1) Sending a "humanitarian" mission into NI in 1969 would have been a huge mistake and drawn down the wrath of NATO and the international community could do nothing because of the UK veto on the UNSC.

(2) That same veto and the four others on the UNSC could prevent Ireland becoming involved in genuine peacekeeping missions. For example, an EU peacekeeping mission in Ukraine would not be allowed by your triple lock if it was vetoed at the UN by Russia.

You real agenda in advocating the triple lock is an anti-EU, anti-NATO pro-Russia agenda, wanting Russia and China to be able to veto participation by Ireland in peacekeeping missions led by anyone other than the UN. It is another extremely dishonest approach.

• Advertisement

😁 Changing the narrative now I see,

You were consistently told that nobody was advocating for an 'invasion' but you of course ignored that and used 'boards' to construct an argument for me that I never made and lambasted me for it. Stock behavior by you that others have called you out on, as well as me.

You are of course gilding the lily about the reaction to a 'humanitarian mission'. You have no idea how the international community would have reacted. I supplied evidence from Hansard and contemporary sources that the likely outcome would have been a diplomatic one, with us agreeing to withdraw after high level negotiations with a British government that knew there was a crisis.

YOU went straight to 'bombing us back to the stone age' fantasies.

Your 'anti EU' 'pro Russia' reds under the bed nonsense is just that - utter nonsense.

Maybe he is a British Agent on the Queen's Shilling?

Doubling down again on your fantasy 1969 invasion makes for a laugh, if it hadn't been done to death so many times.

You may not like the label of "anti-EU" or "pro-Russia" but that is what your policies are.

Ukraine is not a NATO member

The UK is a NATO member

If we invaded the North, Article 5 would be triggered and we would be in a conflict with all of NATO, including the Americans.

You do understand the basics here, right?

You talk of the 'Real world'. Sometimes I think you live in another galaxy with your off the wall and deranged comments.

There you go again manipulating the debate to have me saying something I never said and then criticising me for it.

STILL WAITING for you to find an anti-EU or pro-Russia word I have typed here.

Sending our armed forces where we want != invading random countries on the whim...

Again, you seem to have a very very VERY hard time grasping at the basics, its as if you do not have the mental capacity or ability to hold two separate thoughts in your head at the same time.

So are our peacekeeping forces 'invading' other countries mark?

We can sum up Francies logic here.

1) We should keep the Triple Lock which gives a Veto over the deployment of our armed forces to old Imperialist powers of Russia, UK, France and China...

2) We should have invaded the North as a 'peacekeeping' mission, and ignored the Triple Lock at this time, as we claim it in our Constitution at the time.

3) Getting rid of the Triple Lock means that some government in the future could invade a random African country on a whim which may usher in a new age of Irish Imperialism

4) NATO is equally to blame for the invasion of Russia to Ukraine

It is like arguing against 4 different people such is the utter confused state of Francies mind.

• Advertisement

Would you ever get lost off with the misrepresentation? Absolutely scurrilous behaviour.

Advertisement