Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It is no only causing trouble in political circles but also in academic circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It's called having a job 🙄

To be honest it is better fun when I get a min just to read the outrage from all the usual posters 😂 each tripping over each other to put forward how outraged they are.

It's much better fun watching you hand wave this away while the hole you're in gets bigger

You are always on about outrage. Can you show examples of this outrage? I see people laughing at the mess the government have made of another position but no outrage or is this just another pathetic attempt at deflection from you which is all that you seem to do on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Learning on the job, so to speak. 😁

When I read that excuse I knew there was no defending this and the Taoiseach pulling the plug proves me right. Not even FF could stand over this

• Advertisement

Really? read the thread and plenty of the outrage. All fuax of course.

how is it a deflection? I am saying I am enjoying reading it. I am not stopping you posting about it at all, I did try to add to the conversation by explaining how people get hired but that seems to cause some stress so I bowed out.

But are you outraged because that is now what is being said? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is also amazing how people fall for the headline, including our politicians, and don't read further down

"Trinity College is bound by public service pay scales although there are exceptions, where academics on similar arrangements to Dr Holohan are paid bigger salaries due to being highly sought after and having globally in-demand academic expertise.

Others, who are both working hospital medical consultants and part-time lecturers, are on higher scales."

So, it is possible for TCD to hire Holohan at a higher salary. In this case, it seems that they short-circuited the procedures for approval.

"It will enable universities to attract a person to its academic and research staff, who would, because of exceptional or scarce expertise and/or qualifications, command remuneration higher than the norm and who would not be prepared to work for the university unless so rewarded. "

Note the piece in bold, Holohan, by his experience over the last two years, would be one of the very few with the required exceptional or scarce expertise to carry out research into the public health issues from the pandemic. He has an understanding that nobody outside the very small circle who made those decisions over the last two years could have - the likes of Luke O'Neill etc. do not have his insights to the decisions taken. So maybe less of the snide comments from the "experts" on his qualifications for the job. It is clear that he is more than qualified as I have said. Why would he take a pay cut to do the job when the framework would allow him to keep his salary.

Is such a new post in a university researching the pandemic lessons in regard to public health a good idea? YES

Is Tony Holohan the best candidate for such a role? YES

Should the government pay for such a role to be created in the interests of ensuring that future decisions are better? YES

Were the correct procedures followed? IT SEEMS NOT

That is where we are for anyone with any real cop-on. It would be a really bad outcome if the populist nonsense stopped this appointment from happening. Sadly, if the cynical pile-on from the usual suspects on here is anything to go by, that is a real possibility.

Is this the "learning on the job" response? You do know that the minimum requirement to be a Professor is that the applicant must have a PhD and be peer reviewed. How does a person who has not got a PhD mentor and advise people going for PhD when they haven't been through it themselves? I never said you were stopping I was just calling you out the pathetic phrase of the usual "outrage", it is pathetic and you know it is pathetic especially in this instance. What you do think of the outage in FFG at this appointment?

• Advertisement

Sleight of hand, jettisoning protocol, not seeking approval = cronyism and possibly corruption blanch. You know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I think if I was a person going for my PhD then I think I would be pretty p**d off if the professor that was suppose to Tutoring a mentoring didn't have a PhD and was "learning on the job". 😀

If Tony walked out tomorrow morning and was hired by a private company you would have the same people outraged on here because we have lost this person with all his knowledge to privates companies after paying him during the pandemic.

It is a case of the same people complaining no mater what the government does. At this stage all we have with most people is a case of "cry wolf". We have heard it all before, same people shouting and roaring about it. Same over the top reaction.

The desperation of the few people to trying and get someone else to join this thread so they can argue shows it all.

Already asked and explained. Trying to be condescending to posters....no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Holohan will continue to receive his CMO salary paid for by the Department of Health, but will instead work in Trinity College in a role created specifically for him. The role was not open to applicants or announced prior in any way.

Is Tony Holohan the best candidate for such a role?

Who knows, because no other candidates were so much as invited to apply.

So you think users of Boards are just unemployed, idle so to speak, WOW 😳

Get way outta that. No one would bat an eyelid if Holahan left to take up a job in the private sector, you are just making up stuff now. Why would anyone care about him going to work in the private sector? Now folks would care if he was going to work in the private sector but his wages were funded from the public sector but as far as going to work in the private sector I am sure people would wish him the best of luck.

@Floppybits "I think if I was a person going for my PhD then I think I would be pretty p**d off if the professor that was suppose to Tutoring a mentoring didn't have a PhD and was "learning on the job"

You are way behind the latest thinking on this. Have you never heard of APEL?

"Prior learning may also be an outcome of non-formal or informal learning achieved through work, voluntary activities or private study, for which you may not have a certificate. The process of using this type of learning for higher education purposes is called: Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)."

While a PhD may be very unusual in this, Holohan's experience and expertise is such that a PhD would be pretty easy to acquire. I also think that anyone studying for a PhD in public health would be delighted and enthused to have Holohan as their mentor. They wouldn't have your elitist and snobbish attitude.

• Advertisement

Now, just think about what you have accused me of for a few mins and then come back to me.

This fiasco have both the whiff of the Woulfe appointment and the Zappone appointment about it. So much for "lessons learned".

Can you think of another candidate in Ireland with his experience and expertise in the public health management of the Covid pandemic?

WTF, this isn't the interview for the post blanch. Why would we have to think of a better candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Is there a requirement for said applicant to come from Ireland?

Also given how transparent most of NPHET decisions and the covid19 epidemiology has been throughout the pandemic, the data is there for any existing epidemiologists and PHD holders to provide teachings about the state's response to a pandemic. Tony Holohan does not have any secret knowledge about the pandemic response that isnt already in the public domain, so any implication that only he can teach this is patently untrue.

Most academic faculty do not have the real world experience either, it is not a requirement for any kind of teaching post. The idea that we must do it here is absurd.

In Immunology the professors who teach you about vaccination have never designed a vaccine themselves - nor do they need to. Same goes for epidemiology and pandemic management - the professors have not worked in same nor do they need to to teach it. This applies to the majority of academic positions, they teach about things they have not done in the real world - thats just how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How would you know who is or isn't the best person? I would ask if you have a qualification in HR but I am sure I would get an answer saying you have, such is the norm on boards.

Anyway as I said I was just trying to enlighten a few of you on how people are hired in this day & age. Seems I have failed.

🤣😂

First off, It was Blanch that declared Holohan was the best person for the job.

But the "qualification in HR" is just hilarious.. Especially given that it is followed by you trying to enlighten everyone how people are hired in this day and age.. FPMSL 🤣

Somehow, I don't think the girl from HR was involved in this one...

I see you are back to calling things 'outrage' again. As for mentioning "the same few posters" - Have you been off this thread for more than 20 minutes in the last two months?

I'd mention pot kettle, but knowing your inability to understand idioms, you'd probably start a whole new conversation about racism,,

What exactly are you on about, I've excused you of nothing other than to suggest an update to your user name (brokendownrecord) and that was a while back, or is it the Defenders all quite this morning that perturbed so much 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Watt himself is preparing the report for Donnelly. Nice 😂.

I imagine they will transfer funding to Trinity. That will really piss the other professors off.

Damage is done no matter what excuses they come out with.

Watching Blanch and BrokenAngel in full defence mode (i.e. straw clutching) is fun!

New Politics 2011

The fundamental goal of Fine Gael’s New Politics is to build a New Republic where the peoples’ concerns are placed at the centre of government. In a Republic, the people are supposed to be supreme. Judged by that simple standard, Ireland today is a Republic in name only. The expressions “Golden Circle”, “Crony Government” and “Cosy Capitalism” all describe the same thing: The abduction of our Republic by both public and private sector vested interests, aided and abetted by the present Government.

Fine Gael is convinced that public confidence in government can be restored – but only if there is real tangible change in the political system. The New Politics is designed to tackle head-on the major weaknesses in our archaic system of government, so that the huge policy mistakes of the last few years will not be repeated. It will End “Crony Government” in Ireland by opening up government and giving the Dáil, for the first time in its history, real power to hold ministers and public bodies to account.

All lies. No reform. Same-o Same-o.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It's even more extraordinary people are actually defending what has occurred.

I care not a Jot about Holohans Educational prowess (albeit certainly questionable for such a post), his public service, even his Salary, I care more about the Shenanigans at play here which Watts and Holohan are up to their necks in.

I actually think Trinity Leadership have been extremely naive, why would they not create an entirely new post for one individual they don't have to pay, its not their concern if Tony as a little arrangement with Watt's.

If I were Trinity Leadership, I'd be running a mile from this stench.

• Advertisement

(1) You do not know of another credible candidate. Good, that is clear. Anyone from abroad would cost a multiple of the salary proposed for Holohan. In fact, most of them are working for pharmaceuticals

(2) The second part betrays a complete lack of understanding of modern academia. In fact, in the medical professorship area, the professors are only part-time in education, the rest of their time is spent in hospitals. Elsewhere, experience of working in the real world is an advantage to professors.

Advertisement