Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst I don't think he looks as well as people are saying and in particular Sky - I have to put my hands up and say , once again he has blown my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It really is miracle stuff, the mind of a marine

And to be honest - and I'm sad to say this. It shows how pathetic the likes of Rory and Lowry's efforts are.

It was a joy to watch - in a fairly spoilt industry now - to see someone try, really really really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

Just Lowry and Rory or do you mean every golfer in the field bar the one that is famously incredibly mentally tough? Find it very odd that you have mentioned just those 2. What exactly makes them pathetic in comparison to their peers as opposed to normal and Woods being the outlier?

All them in field - I guess it is Shane and Rory that frustrate me most as I care most about them. The more and more years of majors I watch - it actually just takes a good bit of hanging in there when things are not going well. Even when you are one or two over on the first day - that is ok. Stay mentally tough, stick at it. In fairness Shane has a better attitude on course. Felt Rory was letting it slip when he was only 3 or 4 off the lead on day 1.

So I guess I care most about them - there have been so many handy majors that have just floated by for Rory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

Impressive round one

Big test to see how the body stands up with back to back competitive 18s. Plus weather wise, he is scheduled to play in the worst of the forecast winds. The only time, I've seen Tiger lose some interest playing was a couple of struggles on windy link courses in The Open.

An interesting day awaits, in the Tiger story.

He definitely doesn't look comfortable today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Will do well to break 80 based on the first 5 holes. To be expected I suppose considering the layoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unreal shot, bringing the score back...only fools thought he'd slip away today (namely myself)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Weak short game bogies on 11 and 12, good birdie pitch on 13, that’s all I saw of it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Very sad watching Tiger today, a pale shadow of his finest, and by God what an incredible player he was. Reminds me of the latter golfing days of Seve. Quite emotional to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Of course he's not the golfer he was but I wouldn't be quite as dramatic about today's performance.

What I would say is that even Tiger Woods cannot expect to play a tournament every 3 or 4 months - not to mention his what? 2 years injury break before that - and expect to compete for the win. No matter who you are or were elite level sports just doesn't work like that.

But yes, if every few months is all his health allows him then maybe its time for him to admit that he's done at that level.

I thought he was pretty sublime off the tee today, I remember him in his prime and he was never consistent off the tee so today was as good as it gets. His iron play and putting was just off though and that's what killed him, had a few putts fallen it could have been oh so different around level par in the "hardest" of the weather.

Today is wet and cold so that's him done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m not a golfer but it warmed my heart to see tiger tee off in adare and the reception he got forcing him to break his Steel composure and basically smile his face off 😂😂

A look of pain on the face of Tiger this morning. Probably the aftermath of the long six and a quarter hour round yesterday.

Probably the last time we see him play this year.

As for the future, can he further rehabilitate from the injury? If he feels he can't win I can't seem him competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The impression I get is that he is not crocked this week but is still rusty due to not playing tournaments due to the injuries. Hard to see how he can get out of this cycle. Even being a little off can make a dramatic difference (contending vs missing cut by several shots) due to the compounding effect. He also has a worse record and many more missed cuts at the Open than at the Masters - so maybe it is not that surprising that he was able to hobble around Augusta and make the cut and won't make the cut this week despite being in better physical condition.

Can't see him playing in another tour event this year alright. I'm sure he'll play the Father & Son.

I think he has maybe 3 missed cuts, you have to ignore the one where he got a brutal draw and caught in the absolute worst weather on two days back a few years ago, other missed cuts were due to injuries. The year he came back and almost won The Masters he was in contention until the back 9, I think that was Frankie's year.

I don't think missing competitive play is anything to do with it, he has enough experience to come in "cold" and just play his game now.

Looks to me like he is Major's only and thereafter selective outings where he has high wins in the past.

I always thought he would never play the Seniors Tour and time will tell, once he feels he can't win at a Major I think he will retire for all competitive there and then

Tiger Woods is becoming one of my favorite golfers now. I was far from his biggest fan in the past, but that's now changed IMO. The fact that he refused an offer just short of $1 billion to play on Greg Norman's Saudi LIV tour, even for a man as wealthy as Tiger was just brilliant. Now he is leading the PGA Tour fightback against the morally bankrupt LIV tour, with some potential new tournaments, including one day "stadium style" events. Here's more in the link below. PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan is likely to have further details in his presser tomorrow ahead of the season finale Tour Championship.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-tiger-woods-meeting-elite-players-series-liv-golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

As a golfer, he is my favourite, single minded, determined beyond his peers. Off course, he is scum, it’s easy to refuse a billion when you are worth a billion, I certainly wouldn’t be holding him up as a paragon of moral virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

tiger woods.

golfs moral compass.

give over

As a golfer he is head and shoulders above all of his era, I still look back to Pebble and his series of not missing the cut, but as a person he is a gross disappointment peaked with the treatment of his wife and mother of his children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I actually liked him when all the stuff came out about the affairs! 😂 shows he was human after all and not a robot in which I use to think he was! Plus nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors! He could of been under serious pressure by his parents to marry etc seems to me outside looking in hes a great father too..

Glad to see highlights of him finishing with 3 birdies.

But also just seeing his "tampon joke". God, it was just a bit tacky and unfunny to me. Not a good piece of PR for a man who has a bit of a past for his attitude to women.

snowflakes, everything wrong with the world right now (I get your point but being totally overblown with clickbait)

A bloke putting a tampon in his golf cart? Not the sort of thing that would spring to my mind for heading out for a round. Not exactly a spontaneous joke.

And yes, I play and we slag each other if a player messes up a drive and doesn't make the women's tee etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Tasteless joke but when I heard joe duffy covering it I cringed. I’m convinced people love to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Cue demands for an apology on national TV, and donations to charities or something, this will backfire on tiger.

Yes to officially class it, I'd say it's misogynistic and sexist in that is a male using a token of particular female use towards another male in jest. But i read it as harmless, a jock/male locker room type humour that just shows we have a different wavelength of humour. But as it's not directed at anyone else, noone else was harmed it should be left at that. You have a player on a LPGA tour event making some form of male gesture to a playing partner we wouldn't hear anything said. I've seen lady playing partners slag the men off when they don't pass the red tees with a drive.

Media and so called offended groups just going nuts as usual.

With my drive these days I was just xpecting to be showered with the things every second hole this coming season and make a killing on repackaging and selling them🙄🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭patob

This does nothing for Tigers rehabilitation and rings as misogynistic and sexist alright. In the US it will probably be written off as harmless frat boy humour. Funny to hear Joe Duffy get exercised when Charlie Windsor case was invoked on this topic.

Advertisement