Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulled over by Garda

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Well that's your opinion and your entitled to it. My opinion is as relevant as anybody's here. Mods are here to keep things on track and not to remove people's views that we don't agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Luckily boards.ie isn't in Russia or North Korea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

edit; Bloody 'new' boards. Post is uploaded before I even start typing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP, is it a Skyline ?

You say in your 1st post that most Nissans from the 90's come with a slanted rear plate. That's nonsense, and I'd guess you are aware of that.

You have been asked more than once for a photo of the plate on the Car but seem reluctant to supply one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

Yes understand this but I was thinking more about OP knowing if the angle his particular number plate had was ok. Obviously for the Garda they need to check as could be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I did hear some time ago there are numbers that are on a list but i expect you not on that... from what you say you clearly did nothing wrong... The Gardai should have issued a penalty if offence... i suspect they made an error and just couldn't handle it...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I think that a lot of problems stem from their not using discretion . Most of the experienced members will often ignore minor and sometimes not so minor issues . As they should .

Some of the younger cohort just don’t have the experience to realise that you only have to antagonise someone once to alter how that person will view AGS in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd say its a Skyline or Silivia/200SX/180SX. Which is a pertinent piece of the puzzle, performance car + angled license plate likely set some alarm bells off for the guard (whether they were justified or not is another story, OP was most likely profiled which you could argue isnt right but it is to be expected tbh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Or maybe the cop was just an arsehole as some can be. Most are sound but there are a fair few thick ones about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

95% of my interactions with AGS are fine but over the years I've encountered a couple of complete arseholes. It's particularly irritating when pulled over for a non-existant offence and then when confronted, the Garda keeps digging a bigger hole in his attempt to not lose face. A few years ago I was pulled over with lights and sirens while cycling in a perfectly legal manner by a Traffic Corps Sergeant. When I challenged him about his imaginary offence, he got lippy and insisted I must produce a driving licence. As I refused (because it's not required for cycling), he said he'd be applying 'points' on it. I'm still awaiting those points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I can't stand these types of idiots. Leave the Guards to do their jobs ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Yes, after he started filming outside the station. Which is an entirely reasonable thing for them to do in my opinion.

And by the way, I did look at some of his YouTube videos as you suggested and regret that I did. I am now even more convinced that he is an idiot - and probably a dangerious one - and simply don't know what to say if you think otherwise.

But lets agree to differ and allow the thread to go back on topic: OP, can you please post a picture of the numberplate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Can a Gardai reasonably ask you to get out of your car and search it without providing you a reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

And what station and section are you stationed in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What's the relevance, the Garda didn't search op car. As per his post they walked around and checked inside, I assume they had a look inside, didn't search it (unless I missed something).

The fact is if you want to make a complaint you will have to base it on facts, not emotions, so when you write it down as it happened it might just look like regular traffic stop.

You can still complain, but having an attitude is not a crime and will be hard to prove when you are asked to make a statement step by step removing unnecessary opinions based on emotions and how you felt.

It's all about facts.

You were stopped. Gardai asked you why you didn't stop earlier. Walked around a car, had a look inside. Asked you to not to get to close and took a photo of your license. Etc.

At the end there was nothing more of a traffic stop, and while unpleasant, wouldn't warrant an official complain.

He/she wasn't nice enough? They are supposed to be nice and polite, but it isn't disciplinary offence to be strict and by the book when dealing with the driver.

Just my 2 cents. Was stopped only once because my headlight bulb was gone and didn't feel intimidated, but wasn't super nice either. They did let me go and I replaced the bulb later and moved on.

In fairness was stopped once only in many years so can't comment on all Garda these days.

Nothing warrants an official complaint in this case in my opinion, though.

Okay is a Garda reasonably allowed to ask you to get out of your car and check it inside without giving you a reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Those citizen journalists are ok up to a point but not really a way to make a police force accountable.

Like the police themselves they can't be everywhere and will probably never be there when you want them.

Proper training and supervision allied to a robust complaints procedure will serve society much better.

Ultimately what you want is a police force that does the right thing when nobody is looking.

• Advertisement

I forgot to add that in the OP's case I don't see grounds for a complaint and it's worth noting we only have one side of the story.

"Ultimately what you want is a police force that does the right thing when nobody is looking." LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn't be too concerned about the whole 'scanning the drivers license' thing. Gardaí have been given mobility devices that allow them do a number of checks at the roadside. Your drivers licence was scanned to see if there are any active disqualifications associated with the licence. People will notice these sort of checks become common practice over time as the number of mobility devices increases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They've an explicit power to inspect a mechanically propelled vehicle under Section 20 of the RTA, 1961. Power permits them to undertake the smallest of minor visual inspections right up to impounding the car and undertaking of a detailed inspection by a PSV officer.

• If the number plate was flagged by Garda camera system as difficult to read then that needed to be addressed, it’s as simple as that. None of us like to be taken aside by authority and told to have this and that corrected, I get ratty myself when told what to do, my ego being punctured. I might start to come across as a bit stroppy and that then doesn’t go down well. However I realise I have contributed to a slightly unpleasant scenario. I haven’t been stopped or interacted with Gardaí in this kind of respect, although driving several decades, but I have had very occasional words with other people in authority.

If Gardaí don’t do their job they get criticised, and if they actually do their job they get critiqued too. I’d say they get a fair bit of abuse and get “hardened” by it, but there would indeed be that cohort who enjoy and seek out opportunities for coming down heavy. But I don’t imagine there’s any solid grounds for complaint in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gardai are hiring thicker and thicker, there is a recruitment video of a guy who failed college (nothing wrong with that). Basically gardai advertising if you're smart enough come be a garda

I thought that act only applied where the Garda had suspicion that the vehicle has a defect affecting it which is such that either it is a danger to the public or it is rendered unfit for the carriage of passengers?

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that a Garda can make you leave your vehicle just because they do not like the angle of your reg plate, and I do not believe that this ‘defect’, even if it is one which seems very questionable, gives them reason to check inside the vehicle. Of course the OP may have got out of the car himself and let the door open, I dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

II agree with you but now, if they let someone off, they can find themselves reported by a whistleblower and end up being vilified in the Indo as negligent guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 liamo1979

Only part I wouldn't be complying with is exiting the car, you are well within your rights to stay in the car. I'd also get the guards collar number and find out why he took a picture of your license and if he used his personal phone. Probably too lazy to write down the number tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 liamo1979

Next time spin your dash cam around and record the interaction, easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

You don’t even have to be 6 foot anymore and certainly don’t need to be in shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Bore off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How about a pic ?

That will clear everything up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Why... its clear he was doing nothing wrong... as i said earlier Gardai need control even when its not necessary as in this case... any element they cannot control do as they please... we say no more about that... the guy is right this is public info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Still no photo of reg plate?

The threshold is only that they suspect the MPV may have a defect, not that there is a defect. It's a low threshold and there is plenty of established case law on the section. Could argue the poor manner in which the registration plate was kept gave rise to suspicion that there were further defects in the car and that they had to undertake additional checks to satisfy them that all was in order. It's wishy washy but would be enough to satisfy the exercising of the power. They could even argue that it's an old car and therefore at an increased risk of being defective in some way or another. It's fairly open ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

I wonder does this creative soul ever get pulled by AGS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When he asked you where you were going you should’ve said in the direction the front of the car is facing and where are you coming from you say from the direction the rear of the car is facing, it would give him something to prick up his ears about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus it looks like the owners children had an art project 🤣🤣 seriously is that on a car 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Sorry, been away from the forum for a few days. Here's a picture of the plate.

I've since fixed it. You can just push it back down by hand. I can understand why it attracted attention but the point of the post was around the general experience of being pulled over.

Its been like this for quite some time and I'm always passing/being passed by Garda vehicles. It seems that only the traffic corps have an eye for this type of thing.

Again to answer some previous posts, I was asked to step out of the car and walk around to the back so I could be shown the issue. And I imagine refusing to tell the Garda where i was coming from and going to would only make the situation a lot worse.

All in all, plate fixed, lesson learned.

By the way, I see countless German Style, "4D" and evern bizarre curly font style plates all the time. Do these people not get any hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Presumably by 'inspect' it means to check if there is anything not compliant with road worthiness/regulations etc.

What about doing a 'search' which has nothing to do with the workings of the car itself. I was asked to open my boot after being pulled over. The Garda searched it and then told me to be on my way. I heard afterwards that he's not permitted to do that and that I shouldn't have complied.

Thanks for the update.

On your question about others getting "hassle", it's hard to say how many do because they are mostly dealt with the way your case was.

If they put the car in with incorrect plates for NCT they will fail but lot's of them change over to regulation plates for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

@Pops_20

sure is it any wonder they pulled you over if it was like that, and asking you to step out of the car to have a look is hardly 'LAPD style harassment' now is it? 😐️

oh and btw what's with the big fat exhaust? are you a boy racer? what car are you driving?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm just surprised that you haven't been pulled previously. That plate is simply asking for attention from AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Looks kinda cool tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Looks pretty cool to be fair, didn't the 180sx come standard with the tilt bracket? Tilted rear plate is very much a bosozoku style in Japan. If it was me I'd be leaving it tilted, maybe a bit less than it is in the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just curious, OP, did he give you the Garda dead eye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m only finding this post now so apologies if it’s been mentioned before.

OP, You say the point of Your post below is the general experience of being pulled over. On the contrary I would ask myself if I was You was You was what attracted His attention to cause You to be pulled over. Your #plate is not legal so count Your lucky stars You got off with a warning. As mentioned elsewhere, Your exhaust may also have attracted Him.

On another note. I drive for a living and have nothing but praise for the Garda. Yes there will always be a spoiler but in the main, they have a thankless job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement