Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm not saying anything is bullshit - I'm questioning the level of variety you present.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

yeah i get what you mean but some of that is applicable to the yoof. i will accept maybe not for the 10-13 grouping but they are influenced by the 15 year old and up.

i suppose the point is, its nothing to do with facilities, regardless. you could have pavements lined with gold and free disneyland rides on every corner and it would be the same.

I will concede places like Cherry Orchard , jobstown and Darndale are far more applicable to this argument. these are generational wastelands, some good eggs etc. but i suppose i just meant in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

they need tracks in these areas so they can ride there bikes around, theres loads of waste ground the council could just turn them into tracks for the kids to go on there bikes thats what most of them are looking for theres enough football pitches and sports clubs not all kids like football or sports even just a place where they can chill out and hang around theres nothing like that out there.

thats one i forgot actually in the North Inner City. there's a dirt track beside Eastpoint. proper races there as well

Maybe, maybe not.

There are, undoubtedly, some kids who are just going to be scrotes no matter what you do, definitely. Happens everywhere, though, to be fair.

But as to the others who are redeemable? Well, the question is what DO they want? And to be honest, I have no idea. I just know that coplainging to the mfor not being satisfied with a few football pitches isn't going to work.

• Advertisement

who is complaining, i'm refuting the idea that at least in inner city Dublin there is no facilities and have stated from the outset that it is nothing to do with the lack of facilities. Its a cycle of poverty and social issues stemming from more complex issues. it wouldn't matter if there were millions of facilities. but to say they aren't there is disingenuous as well. and should be challaenged as it builds a false narrative. again this only applies to city centre areas.

Sounded like you were "complaining" to wanderer78 at the start of this, but perhaps that's the wrong word.

But all the facilities in the world is not going to resolve the problem if the teeenagers aren't interested in said facilities. Give them football pitches and cycling tracks - fine - but what if they're not interested in football and cycling? Not all of them will be.

It's not just a case of facilities, it's the facilities that will interest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

It has nothing to do with what facilities people have and never has – That argument was manufactured for the rich to stay rich, provide more opportunities for profit and an easy stick to bash everyone else with when the low-income areas erupt every so often.

I believe it is solely to do with broadening the vision of our youth, even if they can't/won't do school at least give them some means of seeing the vicious cycle they were born into. The majority of people I've met who got clear of a rough area and were very nearly pulled into the nefarious dealings in their communities did so only because they recognized the pattern of generations before them and broke the cycle.

If formal education can't assist in enthusing those worse off, we need alternatives and it's not a new swimming pool or a football field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We need to double down on the policies espoused by liberals which have dominated this past thirty years, in dealing with the increasing culture of delinquency, we need to go even further left

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

unfortunately unless the state build a Burj Khalifa sized ‘facility’ filled with distractions, amenities and resources there will be a Q as there are here of people trying to excuse every criminal act, every antisocial discrepancy committed, no matter who suffers.

competitive sports teams & clubs…. Soccer, tennis, swimming, basketball, GAA, pitch and putt

fitness…. Gym, athletics,

artistic…. art classes, youth theatre, music lessons ..

there is tonnes of stuff… in our communities, MAKE THE EFFORT ! kid ain’t interested ? Sorry but “ am not interested “ is not a get out of jail free card"..

from my own example I was involved in…organised..

soccer, tennis, art, competitive swimming, music lessons and a youth orchestra at various junctures of my youth and adolescence…

still hung out with friends, acted the maggot like every adolescent….

parents have to parent,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

it really is as simple as there is loads of crime and very little punishment

you have people dealing drugs to young children and nothing is done about it

you have men sleeping with underage teenage girls and nothing done about it

i know of a 17 year old boy who sexually assaulted a 12 year old boy, 5 year suspended sentence

I know of a young woman caught with over 30k in cocaine in her house , 1 year sentence she was out in 2 months

a 19 year old who beat up a tourist on his first day in the country , gave him a right hammering including kicking his head and totally unprovoked, 2 year suspended sentence

this is the problem , we have a justice system that does not want to punish criminals

a justice system that sees nothing wrong with young underage children smoking and dealing weed.

what happens when you go soft on criminals , people deal with them themselves and then it truly is the end of law and order

^^^ for too many people the law isn’t a deterrent as it’s not applied appropriately.

that’s why crime is rife…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

He doesn’t. Anyone who savagely attacks someone who cannot defend themselves deserves only one thing, and we should be legally allowed to let scum like him have it.

I know many will disagree with me but I think everyone should be carrying something to defend themselves at all times , i have a hammer in my house and carry something on me at all times.

How, can individuals like that be not locked up….mad kip of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

We should introduce stocks.

Head in a bench vice on the other side.

Smeared in honey and put a wasps nest on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Holy sh1t. This scumbag should be put under a strait jacket while having his head locked into stocks for doing this sick attack on this vulnerable man.

If I had that judge and the boy in a room with a gun, I'd shoot the judge. What a vile disgusting piece of shlt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'm sure the young lad will take this chance to reform and no further money will be made by the legal industry out of him in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Almost got me until I seen the date posted. Very good.

Not sure if that was aimed at me, but if it was it refused to deal with the issue I raised, it refered to it and just sidestepped it completely

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Very clearly states that the boy has addiction and mental health issues and a difficult home life, but yeah sure lets just throw the book at him and string up a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Awwwww, the poor little kitten. We should probably send someone with an ABI into Oberstown for him every week to wean him off attacking harmless vulnerable people.

Well, removal from society until such time he has addressed his mental health issues and addictions and can be trusted to reenter society regardless of how long it takes or his age (don't let him out just because he turns 18) would not constitute "throwing the book at him".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Precisely. Throw the book at the prick, why should he deserve any different?

Cannabis addiction? Piss off - that’s become a go-to excuse for lawyers lately alongside the classic “difficult home life” spiel. You see it day in day out in the papers, people who have got every single thing handed to them by the state - in return they contribute these disgusting crimes to the society that funds them. Revolving door “justice”, a slap on the wrist and off you go, free to destroy another vulnerable persons life.

The “boy” knew bloody well what he was doing was wrong, now that he’s been caught he tries the poor me victim card and gets away with it. Yet another future member of the sickening line of reoffenders who cost our state millions and make life hell for normal good people. Your and others permissiveness to this kind of behaviour is a contributor to all this too.

If it was aimed ‘at’ you I would have quoted you.

Fair enough. It's happened that people have meant me without quoting me. The bit where you said 'tons of stuff' when I said doesn't matter how much if its not interesting to them is what make me think it was.

Anyway, complaining to them that it's their fault for not being interested in what already exiists is just going to push them further over the edge and the problem worse.

same old excuses

plenty of people including myself had difficult childhoods but we did not go around beating the sh1t out of people

the death penalty is what I would gladly give that boy , scum is scum .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would have it on good assumption that people who suffer from mental health issues in this country by and large do not go out to needlessly injure other innocent people when they go about their day to day business.

The "boy" in question, who beat up this elderly man to bits, is an out and out psychopath who is a clear danger to other people in this society. It should have allowed a clearer path for a much greater level of punishment to he put forward on this dangerous individual.

But the sentencing that this guy will receive in this case just shows the real lack of will from the courts in enforcing that severe punishment on this scumbag. He really should have been tried as an adult so that a real form of justice can be given to him for what we did to the vulnerable man who was the victim of this sickening attack.

There is no way on earth that the scumbag in question will get away with this sort of crime if he did it towards this man in another country. If a more severe punishment was coming toward this scumbags direction; he wouldn't have gotten away lightly. He could have been killed with a gun or much worse.

But in Ireland; it counts a period of detention in Oberstown and a slap on the wrist. It makes me sick. What can we do to stop it?

Advertisement