Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can get AIP on their site though, I did it in five minutes. You can then give that to the broker you go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 teaandsnooker

Thanks Tar - it's the official aip I'm waiting on - rather than that initial approval - it seems to be taking ages at the moment! But I'm just wondering if others are waiting around the same time for the official confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hi, has anyone done this.

once we’ve the 6 months plus of regular savings done when I apply for AIP I was thinking of starting to pay the crèche is cash, ie, it’s €250 a week but take out cash at different intervals and say they’re being looked after by a relative now? But still in crèche? Has anyone done this?

What sort of criteria do the banks take into consideration when granting the exemption for the 3.5 times borrowing limit?

I have close to 80k saved and would hope to have around 95k by the time I apply in Q1 2023. Would this be looked upon favorably?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Size of your deposit wouldn’t matter for the 3.5 exception unless the deposit was for a huge % of the property I’d guess.

Requirements for each bank vary. I’d go the broker route if you feel you need the exception as they’ll be able to advise which banks you’ll qualify with.

• Advertisement

Great thanks.

Was more so wondering would the fact that I am a regular saver of around € 1,500 a month make me a good case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Are you paying rent at the moment? For us, we were paying 1,300 in rent and saving about 2,000 on top of that each month along with living expenses. I think what they truly look at is what the mortgage payment would be each month and then stress that based on increases in interest rates. They likely have additional criteria on top of that like minimum income levels.

Yup I am paying rent but fortunately not much, € 500 pm to live just off Griffith Avenue my land lord is gent and some what of a philanthropist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Things that matter are disposable income left over, stress testing a higher percentage mortgage, credit history, your job history, and the more you save each month the better yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Has anyone bought in the last phase of elder heath? Just wondering as the date keeps being put back. I’d love to know if anyone else is going through it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm not sure how wise that is, now it will look like you are spending €250 a week more than before with the creche fees being taken care of by 'a relative' and you still spending €250 a week on 'something else'. Relying on a relative to pay creche fees may not be seen as dependable long term by the bank and they may still want to take into consideration that you can pay them on top of what you are spending now (including the €250pw you are actually spending on creche fees).

I haven't done it, no expert at all, that is just my own personal opinion on it :)

It’s just going by the calculator online, creche fees feck you over! I’ve no doubt we’d be well able to pay the increased mortgage.

it’s a tough one! Probably won’t go down that route.

have you had experience with the bank including some social welfare and child benefit as part of our total income? Kids are only 1 and 3. Herself works for 44 weeks of the year the other 8 are jobseekers as she’s a term time childcare worker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

My advice is to have a chat with a couple of brokers and be honest with them about your finances (including your outlay). If you can afford a mortgage (and you have the deposit), you’ll get a mortgage.

hiding stuff won’t help (IMO)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I haven't I'm afraid. I do undersand the frustration of the summer on the dole, a good friend of mine has done it for many years. I'd echo what Dodge has said above to speak to a broker and see what they say. They'll be able to tell you which banks/institutions are likely to take the 8 weeks of social welfare into account if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I wouldn't go down that route, it's alot of money to be disappearing from your bank account each month, they will probably assume you have a gambling problem, mistress or spending it on drugs, better to be up front with them, as long as yere combined income justifies the creche fees they should factor in ye will only be paying that until the kids start school which is a short period in the lifetime of the mortgage and shows ye are both committed to working.

Withdrawing cash like that could easily cause you massive headaches if the bank query it when you are sale agreed.

Thanks for that. Yeah was just a thought, I’m backing away from it now. Like you said it’s for another few years and it’s reduced significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Hi All, just wondering does anyone know what the situation is if your salary increases after you got your Approval in Principal? Does it matter? Is that max mortgage on the AIP set in stone or when it came to getting an actual mortgage offer, after going sale agreed, would they factor in your new salary and give a higher mortgage value? ...If that makes sense!

Any advice helpful! Thanks all !

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Happened me, so once I got salary increase I asked the broker to increase it. 2 things to remember. One- you need the payslip with higher increase. ( a letter confirming will help but won’t get you it and 2- factor in where u are with buying the house. If u are about to close there may not be time. But I’d advise to talk to the broker

• Advertisement

This happened to me in March month, salary went up and I had to apply for new AIP. However I had a choice, get full AIP again (2-3 weeks) or get an email in a few days from them with the new amount. I had to sign some forms again, declarations. And as above, had to get the new payslip (and salary cert) so had to wait a few weeks before starting to apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Thanks All, would waiting on revised AIP impact your ability to bid on a property do you know? Or does it matter

Doesn't matter, they dont get to see how much you are approved for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Quick question. I'm looking at getting mortgage approval to move to another house. I don't have a deposit saved up (I have enough to clear legal fees and other related fees + stamp duty) but I do have a lot of equity in my current house that I'd like to use for the 20% deposit. Is it an issue with not having a lot saved up at the moment or is this a fairly typical situation for mover mortgages?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Not sure if I should be asking this here but anyone know the best/quickest banks to get a mortgage rejection? Basically I want to apply to the local authority but I need two rejection letters. I applied online through AIB and to my surprise they approved in principle. I am single and earn 35000k a year so the amount they offered is not enough to buy anything in and around Cork City. I am assuming as I upload documents etc I will eventually get rejected, I just don't want to go through the hassle of. So anyone recommend me the easiest way to get rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

its tricky. You’ll need to pay a booking deposit (likely to be 5-10k) if you find a new house

When the remainder of your 20% is due, you’ll need the agreement of the sellers for them to effectively waive this until the mortgage is transferred/paid if you can’t pay in cash.

We definitely didn’t have the 20% saved up when we moved (January) but had enough to pay booking deposit (was 8k for us) and a bit extra. Rather than further complicate what was already a long drawn out procedure, my sister lent me the balance of our deposit and we paid her back immediately when the mortgage/sale of our house cleared. I know this isn’t available for all but it worked out for us. Like I said, the other option was contacting the sellers to ask them for a favour

We had no problem getting a mortgage based on using the equity as a deposit. We used a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I think two insufficient offers will do it. You don’t need rejections. A rejection would usually be because of bad credit history etc. For lower earners with no credit problems the banks just approve for a low amount.

see here: https://localauthorityhomeloan.ie/eligibility/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

what they approved you for is usually good enough.

ie a low offer .

has anyone an idea as to what an architect or engineer might charge for preliminary Drawings for an extension?

• Advertisement

Is there any place where you can see what a house actually sold for versus the advertised price?

Advertisement