Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

⭐️Pensioner leaving Ulster Bank - Best Current Account switching options?

Options
  • 29-11-2021 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Trying to help my aunt switch banks as Ulster Bank leaves the market. I called into Bank of Ireland to get a brochure/discuss ... only to be fobbed off with "...you'll find all the information online" 🙄

I'd imagine her best options are either...

Bank of Ireland or AIB

Both seem to offer the same benefits for over 65's - eg no fee for debit card transactions/cash withdrawls.

I believe the AIB app has a feature where you can cancel a lost card (similar to Ulster Bank app). Not sure about BOI.

Anyway - there are two branches nearby to her - I'd imagine there's little between them. But any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

RTE had a piece about this yesterday - obviously the free fees changes things slightly.

Is it time for Ulster and KBC Bank customers to switch? (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Thanks! I had a look at that - seems to be quite focused on the general customer. As far as Im aware only 2 banks offer no fees on debit card usage for seniors.

I'm swaying towards AIB - the BOI app is painfully slow and my own experience with their customer service has been quite poor & I couldn't find a downloadable brochure for older customers on their site. It might just boil down to that in the end 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

Hi Fishdoodle

How did you get on with the switch? I am in a similar situation helping my Mother in Law switch from UB. Any insights you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Did a little research - Bank of Ireland & AIB seemed the only banks offering zero transaction fees for 'Golden Years' (Over 65's) ...so that narrowed the search.

Popped into the local BOI branch asking them for advice/forms ... they fobbed me off and told me "It's all online...she'll find everything there". They could have scheduled an appointment ...but they didn't. - so, that made the decision easier to go with AIB. I think it's bad form to expect over 65's to find everything online when there's a person standing in front of you. Also, the BOI appointments for opening an account seem to be made online, with camera etc. I'm with BOI and find the app is sub-standard (very slow & glitches when asked to authenticate online payments). AIB seems a more fluid APP.

So, looked up branches of AIB (via website) , requested an appointment for her online. They rang back very soon after to arrange an in-branch appt. Be aware that there is a big demand for appointments to open new accounts. (could be waiting up to a month). So, based on my experience I'd reccomend AIB and to get booked in for an appointment ASAP so as to have some time to switch over bank details with any direct debits / payments made to account before end of June :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

I've been with BOI for years. They were ok but over the past few years I'd avoid them like a plague. In the process of moving myself, AIB appear to be the most professional so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Have you tried your local credit union? Lots of them now offer current account facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

I'm in similar situation as OP and seems all the Banks are very strict about acceptable photo ID being either a Passport or Drivers licence only. My relative has neither and her Pension card, even though it is government issued and has her photo and DOB on it, is not accepted. She has utility bills and bank statements but getting rejected on the photo ID. Is anyone else in same prediciment? Any experiences with using a photo ID other than passport or drivers licence with any Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mature cheese

If she has her birth cert she can use that with her PSC as photo Id to open a current account with an post. There are fees with an post unfortunately though

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

PTSB no fees for seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

Thanks for this. It concurs with my research as well, AIB seems to be the best option for her.

When she called to make an appointment though she was advised to find a tech savy relative and open an account online, it would be quicker than waiting for an appointment. That's a job for me this week to get the process started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

BTW, AFAIK the qualifying age for BoI and AIB for seniors is 66.

Advertisement