Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit

• 08-04-2022 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I’ve been on an IB payment of €176 since October 2021 (I owed money in 2014 so they’re deducting my payment). I’m a single adult living alone and struggling to pay bills. I’ll be on IB until at least June and I’m certified until then. I spoke to SW regarding getting help to pay bills and they said because I’m on IB I’m not entitled to anything because it’s seen as a short term payment. Does anyone know of any way around this? SW did ask me if I have cancer and I don’t, but I have been on IB for over 6 months so far… anyone know of any other way to apply for a top-up of some sort? I understand SW / community welfare officer (which is closed in my area since mar 2020) won’t actually volunteer any information and you kind of need to know what you’re asking for when applying to them.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If you are struggling and can show that you are struggling (household bills but only rent mortgage electricity groceries and fuel really, wifi, cable TV, mobile phone, car tax, insurance etc won’t be considered) then make an appointment to see the CWO and put your case to him/her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OP you are certainly not alone in your struggles so as @TooTired123 says you need to reach out to a CWO, you mentioned 2020 that was covid related, I presume, but Intero Centres are generally open now albeit some have reduced hours. Have bills etc to hand when your meeting CWO. It may not be Feasible but perhaps the Department might consider reducing the deduction that's reducing the debt from 2014 .

I know it's hard to ask but honestly do seek help , I wish you well .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Yep, the "deduction' will/ needs to be revisited...... €176 isn't going anywhere ( as we're all TOO well aware) lately ....& though I hate to say it....this inflationary spiral is only just getting traction

Hello Mr Mc Carthy 😏

It's a desperate situation out there , for those working, not working and on illness payments and getting worse and it's really starting to bite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 newbraces

Thanks everyone. I’ll ask SW on Monday about the arrears. I was hoping there was a way to wipe that off as a bad debt or something seeing as they only noticed it in October when I applied for the IB (and I can’t prove it one way or another anyway coz I was temping back then). Does anyone know if there’s any way I can apply for fuel allowance in arrears? Because even if I got FA now it would be due to end next week because it’s just a winter payment. The person I spoke to today just reiterated that fuel allowance is not for people on a short term payment, so she wasn’t much help to me tbh and she confirmed that there won’t be a replacement CWO for my area, just the main intero office - which she is…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Oh I’m sorry but FA is not payable to people on Illness Benefit and even if it was it is never back dated. The “overpayment” is only flagged ever when the applicant reapplies for a SW payment. I’m confused about the CWO. You have an absolute right to make an application to the CWO to consider you. It’s just not possible that you were told anything else. There must have been a misunderstanding. People need to see the CWO in all kinds of emergency situations and there’s simply no way to refuse anyone at least the opportunity.

Unfortunately FA is not paid to anyone on illness benefit and infact even if your on a jobseekers payment you have to be on it for a year or more before being eligible.

You ate entitled to query the arrears by requesting a statement but I believe their records quite thouragh, it's likely you were over paid in error. But in relation to revenue or SW debt, it is not written down or reduced for individuals , there are debt settlement arrangements in more complex cases involving companies, bankruptcy etc .

Your best best here is to see CWO , they can also enquire on a reduction of debt repayment plan and hopefully assist with bills etc .

Re CWO, you are entitled to see one but it may require a trip to a different office or, they might call you, get a contact number on Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The problem with illness benefit as a payment is that it's a scheme designed for short term illness that often sees people with long term illnesses in receipt of it initially. Because of this there aren't any extra payments due such as fuel allowance or a Christmas bonus.

OP the best thing would be to contact the central debt unit in Carrick on Shannon and see can they reduce your overpayment. If your illness is going to be a longer term issue I'd also consider applying for Disability Allowance whilst still in receipt of IB.

It is means tested but it does entitle you to apply for fuel allowance, you get a Christmas bonus and there's other bits and pieces you would also be able to apply for. There's also Invalidity Pension if it's a permanent incapacity but you do need to be on IB for 12 months before applying for this.

As the other guys have said the only other real option would be an Exceptional Needs Payment from the CWO, this would likely only be a one time payment though as opposed to an increase in your rate. The CWO can issue a "top up" of your IB rate if you aren't entitled to the maximum rate of payment (currently €208 p/week), subject to a means test but if you're already on that rate and the deduction is for an overpayment I don't think they'd be able to go beyond that.

Advertisement