Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone go to music festivals on their own?

Options
  • 09-02-2022 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of going to the Obscene Extreme festival in Czechoslovakia but don't know anyone into extreme metal so would be going on my own. Is it fun to go to a festival on your own or do you feel out of place and self-aware that you're the loner and not having as good a time without company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I've been going to gigs large and small, including major festivals, alone my whole life. Never once felt anything other than delighted to be there. Once you get in the gate all you'll be concerned about is trying to see as many bands as you can. If you're into extreme metal then you'll probably spend every set in the moshpit and you certainly won't feel alone there. If you're any way outgoing it's easy enough to get talking to people at these things. In these days of social media you might want to check out the local area's Facebook pages or dedicated FB page for the event - there could be informal get togethers of fans the night before the event where you could meet people. A lot of people travel abroad for gigs these days and I can guarantee you won't be the only one there alone - I have no shortage of friends but they all have crap taste in music or simply aren't interested in gigging either. By the way for gigs in Ireland you might want to check out Meetup.com which is a site where like minded people can come together to share common interests. There's a site there called Gigonometry which was set up precisely for this - to enable people who don't have music loving friends to come together. There's a few other sites there for rock fans also.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Here's links to some of those Meetup sites I mentioned. The first one below has meetups organised for Tool and Combichrist Dublin gigs later this year. Some of the sites below haven't been active for a while because of Covid but that'll be changing now that we're free to go to gigs again.

Are you ready to rock in Dublin Meetup (Dublin, Ireland) | Meetup

Gigonometry (Dublin, Ireland) | Meetup

Rock Gigs Dublin (Dublin, Ireland) | Meetup

Rock and Roll 🎸 Meet and Greet (Dublin, Ireland) | Meetup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah I've been to some festivals on my own. Would be a shame to miss an interesting bill on the basis noone could accompany you.

Of course it should be fun you are watching bands you enjoy opposed to a possible nothing week otherwise ha.

Returning to Brutal Assault this year myself not alone this time out I should say but that's in Czech Republic also beers around €2 in the arena and plenty of grubs, feckin' job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yeah, I'm just going to go and do it, life is too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Yep went to Pinkpop in Laandgraff near Maastricht in the Netherlands on my own

I was there from 10am to 1am on my own and had an amazing time.

I went to see the headline act the Foo Fighters but I discovered other bands which I play on Spotify like The Marmazets,Walking on Cars, Nothing but Thieves and others.

I remember also going to a BBC Radio 6 event on my own in Belfast. Ash whom I love were the first song BBC Radio 6 ever played so they were there.

Life is short OP, go to festivals on your own

Advertisement