Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Think he did a stint down in New Zealand albeit not sure how hands on that was.

He also wasn't saying Jonny is the best player, he said he's very coachable and has seen everything and reads the game faster and better than anyone he's ever coached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I wasn’t factoring in development per day. Just think relatively speaking I’d think McCarthy was a better option off the bench. We are going there to win, that’s for sure. Maybe to win ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd have thought a 5-3 split on the bench for both teams suggests they intend to play relatively expansive rugby until the end. Toner suggests a bit more winning ugly but he could also be there to mostly provide strong set piece for the attacking platform.

In a normal game you can try to win it and send on the younger lads to get some experience and it doesn't matter if it becomes a but scrappy. But this is the first half of a 160 minute game. They have to finish this game as strongly as if its the first half of a league game.

They need cohesion until the end and don't want to concede any scrappy tries at the end - doesn't usually matter in a league game, but does matter in this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sean O'Brien retiring at the end of the season.

Fantastic player and another back row player who due to injury didn't get enough caps for Ireland.

When fully fit he was at the top of his game.

A player who id imagine could very easily end up coaching somewhere.

Would love to see him back involved with one of the proviences in that capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

SOB, at his very best, was one of the best players in the world. He could do it all. He's the most destructive ball carrier I've ever seen in a Leinster and Ireland jersey, as well as a huge presence at the ruck.

Such a shame we so rarely saw that consistently due to his injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Genuine world class when fit and healthy. Easily one of the great back rows anywhere. It's a shame his career was so disrupted with injury.

That's another poor performance to add to the bank that has accumulated this season. The first half was very promising, but our level dipped in the second.

That half, after we scored our early try, was dreadful. There were so many unenforced errors. Whether it was JGPs high tackle, Byrne missing touch, McGrath's numerous poor kicks and knock ons and Lowe's knock ons etc.

If we can maintain our level from the first half things would be fine. There was an intensity and accuracy of play which Connacht couldn't match. But we were just so sloppy in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭A-Train

Yeah couldn’t agree more, you’re right in saying another poor performance, just way too many this season and haven’t looked convincing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If you take out the 2011/12 season, where he was insanely good.

I think Keenan is better than Kearney

There are some positives which Leinster can take out if that game. Connacht started the game strongly, which was probably expected. Leinster did well to work their way back into the game and post a decent lead at half time. Their running lines and handling was incredibly impressive at times. Keenan in particular was excellent tonight.

But the second half was a mess. I suppose you can't discount the yellow card which killed all of our momentum. But that still doesn't excuse the amount of unenforced errors, of which there were many.

I don't want to strip Connacht of their agency either. They did well to fight their way back into the game. But you can't argue that Leinsters level in the second half was as high as that of the first.

It's been an issue all season and if we qualify for the next round of the Champions Cup, I can see us getting beaten if the match is against Leicester at Welford Road.

• Advertisement

I'll caveat the following by saying I think you talk plenty of sense on here and know the game well.

I thought we did pretty well tonight. We didn't show up with the type of eye bulging intensity that delivered a very impressive Connacht performance but I thought our tries were well worked and precise. We were under huge pressure from the get go but like really good teams we absorbed it and went about applying our game plan and controlling things. I thought the ref was weak across the board and we didn't manage that well, I thought Sexton had a poor day out albeit he'll analyse it and improve so I've no major concerns.

I think our decision making at times was borderline petulant, I don't think we showed enough respect for Connacht but I think these are issues we won't face against other teams and if we were in the right mindset wouldn't have faced tonight.

I'm mostly glad that an Irish province gave us two black eyes tonight and we squeezed out a win all the same. Well done Connacht and well done Leinster, a proper Heineken knock out clash.

I made another post just before you got yours in! I think we did quite well in certain aspects of the game. Our handling and line running was very impressive. In terms of our attacking play, I think we've improved on last season. Every back and forward is now a legitimate threat to the defence, whether it be through their running or passing ability.

But we're also, in my view, more inconsistent when it comes to actually putting pressure on our opponents. We have a habit of letting teams back into games, when just minutes earlier we were strangling them. And I think we get flustered by that. Ross Byrne is usually so calm when he has the ball in the hands or when he is kicking for the line. That missed line kick tonight was baffling. You called it petulance, I think it's panic. But they're both quite similar really.

I think the lack of a cool head is what might cost us a trophy or two this season. We'll probably have enough to win the league if we make it that far. Depends on if the rumours about the final taking place in South Africa are accurate. And if we face a SA team. But I think the Champions Cup might be out of our each again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched this delayed as we had a game this evening. Thought leinster played very well to be honest. The sloppiest was the last 10 mins with byrnes missed kick and doris' off load to Lowe. However connacht had their sloppiness too with DTMs dummy throw and dowlings white line fever.

Leinster left at least two tries out there in the second half. Lmcg knock on for what would have been lowes had trick and treacy knocking on on the line.

Connachts defense was rabid and hard. Their ability to read and slip off the ball carrier worked well, but they gave up two pens for tackling the wrong player. But they gave no quarter nor would that have been expected.

I though the ref was very good, in what was a tight game between neighbours

Any win next week I'll take with open arms

Agree with pretty much all of this and for sure Connacht's defense was aggressive, intent and quite accurate throughout. Thought the ref made a few fairly bunk calls all the same - some quite obvious too but it didn't decide the game.

Yeah I've been pretty critical of some of our performances this season, but I don't think we were bad tonight. I think Connacht got a few home town decisions tbh which stifled our momentum. I'm thinking of Aki getting rewarded when he clearly wasn't supporting his body weight and made no attempt to lift the ball, and then Healy got pinged a few minutes later for a textbook turnover. Tracy's disallowed try also baffled me. He clearly grounded the ball to my eye. But that stuff happens in away games and you've got to deal with it.

Our attacking play in the first half was excellent I thought. Our handling, lines of running and decision making was top drawer. We had Connacht chasing shadows. 2nd half wasn't our best but I'd be pretty confident we can take it up a level when we need to.

I think Joe McCarthy could have a role to play yet this season. Especially if we come up against a big pack. Molony and Murphy were good tonight but ideally you'd have one of them there with a bigger guy. McCarthy may be young but he's a big unit, the lads legs are like tree trunks.

Remember we still have Kelleher and Porter to come back, which will massively strengthen both our starting XV and our bench. I'd be bringing JGP back into the starting XV personally. Luke's passing is just too unreliably when it comes to the crunch IMO.

This must be what Saracens fans feel like. Everyone f*cking hates Leinster right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Saracens earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d largely agree with that, TRC, except:

Tracy's disallowed try also baffled me. He clearly grounded the ball to my eye.

The try was disallowed cos McGrath knocked on earlier in the phase, nothing to do with the grounding.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope, that was a different incident.

The problem with treacys "try" was there wasn't a clear angle to show it grounded on the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Think if the on field decision was try, then it would have stood, but there was no clear angle to show he got it on the line so couldn't overrule the original call.

Just one of those things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So on next week, if Connacht win, is it points difference over the two legs? if a draw is it points difference or most tries? Etc? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Aggregate scores

If level, extra time is played. If still level, the team with most tries over two legs wins. If still level, a place kicking contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No, that was Lowe's (non) hattrick try that got disallowed.

Overall, really enjoyable game but I'd say Leinster will be frustrated at not being further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I suppose Leinster will go ad strong as possible, meaning that the tour to S.A will probably be a weaker squad.

This leg of the urc in S.A is one I've been looking forward too. Serious different teams at home. I reckon a bok side can win the urc, if not this year, fairly soon.

Fair play to Connacht. They really go all out and play some good rugby versus ourselves. Although, I can't believe Boyle didn't start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think Leinster would want to leave their internationals off for three weeks prior to the QF. I think they bring them to SA and play them in one of the games no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It makes sense to play a fairly strong team in game 1. Aim for that win as the priority, which would all but guarantee top spot and then send a second team out for the Stormer game.

• Advertisement

Hoping for a blowout Clermont victory, although sadly not expecting it.

Would much rather face Clermont than Leicester, who I think have the game to strangle us at Welford Road.

Advertisement