Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding venue cancelled

Options
  • 04-04-2022 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32 yvonne.joy.3

So we booked our wedding back in August of 2022 which was due to take place in July 2022. We received a phone call a month ago from our venue informing us that they would no longer be able to hold our wedding as they would now be housing the Ukrainian Refugees.

This resulted in a lot of panic and stress and eventually finding a venue that had our date available but meaning an extra 2K spend.

The venue have since returned our deposit but are they liable for breach of contract? Is there anyone else out there in this position.

FYI I have nothing against the refugees they obviously needed someplace to go they have been threw enough as is having to leave everything behind. My issue is the venue which made the financial decision to cancel our wedding.

Thanks desperate and stressed bride out 🤦

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Read what your contract says. If you don't have a written contract you can take it that you have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have heard anecdotal stories of hotels cancelling weddings due to them housing refugees.

It's a strange move. It really shows a lack of understanding for the bridal party and their big day, who might not be able to find a replacement. But from the hotels pov, they have the chance to have 100% occupancy for maybe a year or two, no doubt at full price on the taxpayers expense. They can't turn that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Boardsies don't have a copy of your contract, so i cant really tell you if hotel is in breach of the terms.

Read it carefully and see what their get out clauses are.. To be honest you may need professional legal advice - and that costs you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tell you what - the frustrating thing is, contract or not, the hotel sure as sh1t wouldn't refund you if you pulled out of the wedding this close to the date

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yvonne.joy.3

I think that is the most frustrating part, over 2 years of planning and left with 4months to change everything. I understand the decision and why it was made it is obvs worth a lot more than a few weddings to the hotel and anyone would make the same financial decision for business purposes. But it's just the lack of commitment to people that were giving them a lot of money for one day..

• Advertisement

That's just it in the contract if we cancelled or fell under the specific numbers for the package we had booked we would still be liable for the total amount. It's just frustrating the double standards of it all really.

Might be worth the cost of a solicitor's letter seeking compo for the increased costs of rearranging the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s a frustrating situation, but they have refunded you the total amount, so it isn’t double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

When you read the small print on your contract you will see that the hotel reserves the right to cancel under special circumstances. War in Europe and a resulting refugee crisis will fall under this clause.

I would write to them and tell them that you were bitterly disappointed and whilst you’re glad that the refugees are benefitting from your misfortune, you do feel that some compensation is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

I hope you het your refund

• Advertisement

Get your refund back*

Ah jaysis , some things are more important haha

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think that the demand here is that the hotel should honour the booking but rather that, if they make a huge windfall as a consequence of not honouring the booking, they should use some of that to compensate the OP for the extra expense he has had to incur. This wouldn't adversely affect the refugees.

That would just be it I understand now that the hotel cannot honour the booking and I also understand that there is a crisis ongoing and that the people 100% needed someplace to go. My issue is with the hotel making a nice profit and as a direct result it costing me more money. I don't think it is too much for the hotel to offer a bit of compensation towards the new costs for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Think of the opposite.

If you cancelled the wedding this week, what would you think was fair.

1 - Forfeit just the deposit

2 - Hotel insisting on full payment as "compensation"

Unfortunately we are in difficult times. Hotels and other places are needed for Ukrainians who have literally been ravaged by horror. Personally I think its a small price to pay so that those fleeing atrocities can have a safe place and within a "community" of other Ukrainians.

BTW - I would suspect a hotel would make a far far far larger profit on weddings as the amount of alcohol consumed in addition to the wedding costs makes weddings the most profitable part of a hotels operation. Your remarks on the hotel making a "nice profit" is a very cheap and rather nasty bit of snideness and is uncalled for. Remember, many hotels have had an utterly appalling two years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The hotel industry has had a hard time and some will now accommodate refugees. But they would get more sympathy from people who will be their customers for many years to come if the industry worked together to facilitate people rather than just giving them their money back and telling them to f* off.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the hotel hosting the refugees at nothing more than cost price, I seem to have missed that announcement. OP is entitled to compensation if commercially the hotel is going to absolutely cream it. The government should have some conditions in place with who they have made these arrangements with that those with existing contracts are compensated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What else can the hotel do but refund? There's no functions rooms available in any hotels with the backlog of weddings so there's no way to move the cancelled events. We've no idea how long the Ukrainian's are going to be here and if the numbers we are getting is correct all hotels will be housing them, I can see a lot more cancellations coming. Would you rather have the Ukrainian's in tents while Irish people party in hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I suppose the Hotel is entitled to make more money out of refugees than it would from honouring its contract with a booked wedding event.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Depends on the terms of the contract, but yes, they probably are. Given that the op’s deposit has been returned, hard to see what else he/she would be entitled to. It is very bad form, but the situation is a unique one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How will hotels make more money from refugees than having weddings? The refugees will not be swilling €6 pints all night or eating €50 meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is really shocking carry on and no way to treat customers. Total bad faith charlatan type stuff.

But it clearly shows the degree to which the taxpayer is going to be rode senseless by them facilitated by their cronies in government. Bet it’s full rate full whack all round. Must be or else they wouldn’t be cancelling weddings for it ( one if the biggest rip offs imaginable in my view but that’s another story).

This is one of those situations where the Government/State are damned if they do and dammed if they don’t. We have to accept some Ukrainians displaced by the war, and if we do, we have to house them somewhere. If hotels aren’t used, can you think of anywhere else? And if hotels are used, then of course the hotel is entitled, as a private, profit dependent business, to charge whatever the going rate is for use of their facility. Why would they charge less if they could make more from tourism/events?

Taxpayers will be picking up the hotel bill, but Irish taxpayers have received a lot of support from taxpayers in other EU countries, so don’t be a hypocrite, there is a war and these people are coming here with a suitcase and the clothes on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have no issues with the refugees- but I do have an issue with government cronies making a fast buck. The rates being invoiced should be public knowledge and rightly scrutinized for value for money so we can see what is going where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Advertisement