Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feasible to Get a Single Room Rewired?

Options
  • 06-04-2022 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'll be redecorating the spare bedroom in the near future and essentially converting it into a bedroom/home office. So I need to have an existing double socket moved a meter or two down the same wall and maybe have a new double socket installed on a different wall.

So, do electricians operate under a "No job too small" basis? And what kind of money would I be quoted do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You don't need the room re-wired, just two additional sockets added. If you are redecorating, have the room empty, lift the carpet, should make adding the sockets very easy. Relatively straight forward work for an electrician.

If it's a boxroom above the fuse board adding additional able from the board might be easier but not a diy job. I believe addional socket is considered minor works but should only be done by someone compliment. But others here will advise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Curious on cost of adding a dual socket in general. Also do laminate & floor boards typically have to be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I converted a bedroom to a sitting room last summer and needed a double socket on the opposite side of the room.

I just ran a cable and conduit from existing socket around the room to here.

I keep it above the skirting board so it's easy if I need to run wires for anything else around the room.

Can't remember how much it cost but I doubt it was €30.

I did the work myself in less than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Looks like a nice neat job, but not everyone would be into that.

It'd drive me bananas so I'd spend ages hiding the cable 😂

Well for the most part it's hidden so doesn't bother me and the bit that's seen matches the wire on the rad and goes well with the blue wall imo.

• Advertisement

There should be a gap left between laminate and walls so yes a cable will fit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thanks everyone!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There would be a gap, a cable would fit but just be aware that to run a mains cable like this does not comply with the wiring rules and would certainly not be considered best practice. There are risks associated with this approach.

It is permitted to run cables surface in trunking as per the pictures above however an assessment should be carried out by a competent person of the existing wiring before proceeding.

Just because something works and an unqualified person is satisfied with the end result does not mean that it is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Might be hard to get an electrician for such a small job. But they can use the existing plugs to wire in the 2 new sockets without too much hassle. Recently had this done in a garage (But had other jobs in the house done at the same time so not sure cost on that small job alone).

Would be cheaper to get an it as nixer job, cash in hand, in an evening. (100 should cover all - Materials & labour)

Advise you get the double sockets with USB if using as a home office, handy for charging without using up a plug.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Are those usb ports up to charging the latest phones though?

Normal car chargers won't even charge my OnePlus 9pro which uses rapid charging (65W).

Even the dash charger from my previous OnePlus phone crawls at charging my current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Mine ones do charge my headset(Jabra), iphone & Android phones without issue. (5V = 2.1A)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd get a few sockets while you are getting one.

Some home offices require more sockets as time goes on. I saw one home office trip the fuse intermittently. I sent out an electrician to investigate ( I had a property maintenance company at the time). Basically they had gathered so many gadgets over the years that they were overloading.Everything from PC, scanner, printer right down to pencil sharpeners. Lots of small gadgets, add up

I know it's a different situation, but I ran a separate cable to my home office, on it's own RCBO, so it wouldn't shut down if there was an issue with any of the other circuits in the house.

But three years later I still need to connect up some unfinished sockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Used to be ten, but might have changed.

Yep, that's what I've heard. I take it that's ten singles or five doubles.

Does anyone know if ten is still the allowed number on a circuit?

edit: typo

Post edited by WestWicklow1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Is there a rule on how many rooms can be on the one circuit?

I've been told two but Im sceptical

No one really gets single sockets unless there's a special reason.

Does anyone know where the up-to-date domestic wiring regulations can be viewed without having to pay for them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is two, but a hall does not count as a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thats the right method a "clean line" and RCBO for the IT equipment

Phone charging is best kept separate from socket outlets too, not integrated

Advertisement