Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

Kuleba is right, the West is dragging it's feet. The old deception is dead, time to quickly transition to the new reality that adversaries and enemies are just that.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-09/nations-eye-modern-arms-for-ukraine-as-soviet-era-stocks-dwindle

Slovakia doing sterling work, sent Ukraine S300 air defenses and now artillery. Germany remains afraid of it's own shadow.

https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1512506863098683407?s=20&t=wOskFDlkWD_fh3iYPSOzjA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I get the desire to cut the funding to Russia by stopping oil and gas. And so many people say just do it. There's more to it than just stopping. What's the alternative? Europe is dependent on it from heating homes to industry to everything in between. What are the consequences of stopping it dead in it's tracks? How many business shut? How many jobs are lost? How many people go cold and hungry? If it was simple, it would be done already.

Don't come at me about lives lost or lives that will be saved. I understand that. All I'm asking is what is the other side of the coin. Lives lost vs. what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Indeed, however since Hiroshima and Nagasaki "wars" have a totally different meaning.

We (the human race) have found ever more efficient ways over the centuries to kill and maim each other but nukes provide a totally different backdrop to war. When you seen some of the barbaric acts that have taken place over the centuries, using some of the most barbaric and inhumane technologies at the time, you've got to come to the assumption that in the wrong persons hands, there is no doubt that nukes would be used.

That coupled with the every more intertwined international relationships present a very worrying time for us. Far more worrying for the Ukraininian people obviously however it is easy to see how this can escalate.

• Advertisement

FarmGate podcast had some interesting lines lately about the power of those who set the agenda/question, so I won't be walking through that door.

The balance is between winning this war now relatively cheaply, versus fighting more expensive and more dangerous wars with putrid later.

Stop closing f'kn nuclear plants for a start. That will at least dampen the severity of a russian fossil fuel boycott.

Sure, business will suffer, people will lose jobs, there may well be a recession or depression. It's worth the cost today as opposed to the cost of this war plus future ones. But this is people, I'm all for X as long as I'm not affected. Isn't it terrible but sure we'll do **** all.

Who said it was simple? War demands sacrifices. We're getting off very lightly.

putrid could well live into his 90's as Mugabe did. Does anyone think he'll become less bitter or less risk averse with others lives as he ages?

Should he be able to create some type of victory in Ukraine it'll strengthen his control over russia. At some point he will attack NATO, and my €'s are on invasion of the Baltic states. With his virtual annexation of belarus he has just 65km to cover the Suwalki Gap between belarus and kalliningrad and he closes the only land access to those three NATO members. With their size he can overrun them quickly, they cannot do defense in depth as Ukraine can.

That will put pressure on NATO to put up or shut up about Article 5. The question will be raised are the Baltics worth defending? Then we're faced with WW3 proper, OR, disintegration of NATO in the face of russian aggression, and Poland will be next on the menu.

What do we think will happen to the funding of the industry this forum is concerned with then? Or the state of public finances in this country or the EU itself?

Sanctions certainly help, but this war will be won on the battlefield. From my cushy, privileged position on the fringe of Western Europe I am prepared to endure economic hardships to help Ukraine defeat putrid. His defeat and hopefully removal will strengthen peace in Europe, on the cheap compared to the alternative.

russia making an arse of themselves on t'other side of the world. Love to see them do amphibious landings on Japan.

https://twitter.com/JamesDJBrown/status/1511184708801265664?s=20&t=KiWKSVovBuXJpS6J0BXJGg

I won't be looking for studies into it. It has to be done, there are things in life we just have to go directly through. Germany demanded plenty from other EU nations during the recession and are now unwilling to make sacrifices themselves. Even us, I remember at a time selling of entire Greek islands was mooted, so was the sale of a locally famous beach here. I wonder would an oligarch have bought it, probably too cold. The Germans (and western Europeans) were told, repeatedly, by nations that had endured the kind yoke of the Soviet Unions brand of humanity that they were enabling monsters, they didn't listen. They called the tune, now the piper has his hand out.

I wasn't going to comment on Trump, but then this popped up on my feed 😂

In my estimation, Trump, Farage, Le Pen, Orban etc. are all scum. They work day and night to undermine the less than perfect system that allows us the lives we live here, in favour of dictators and despots.

And then, a nice bit of speculation 😂 SS TRump: The rats! The rats, why are they running?!?!

https://twitter.com/tomiahonen/status/1512800664119877632?s=20&t=L6FXJXV3vIqXArsYyUDLow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

We can see from this, despite all the hot air flowing from Brussels that Europe knows Russia is far more important to the eu than Ukraine ever will be.

Zelensky quietly acknowledges this by allowing the gas to keep flowing through Ukraine.

• Advertisement

China recently made noises about being the factory of the world. I commented, we can build factories, can ye build customers? The same is true of Germany, they will do as they will do, it'll decide whether my next van will be a Ford or a VW.

Ukraine must play the hand they have been dealt. They are doing so very skillfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Imo we'd see a drop in eu gdp of 20-30% minimum for starters with it likely spiralling totally out of control, coupled with massive levels of inflation.

Printing money wouldn't help and would probably make things worse.

Job losses would be massive

Slogans. Are we talking to Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde? Posts need an identifier.

In addition to the article below there's a metric fúckton of evidence of non bullshit military and economic support sent east to Ukraine.

Europe, most certainly including Ireland, can and should do much more. This always takes time with democracies, which is infuriating. Dictatorships can always move more quickly, they need consult no one.

It would take less time for democracies if the wooly headed would stop swallowing and regurgitating russian talking points. The aim of russian propaganda of whataboutery isn't to get people to believe something, but to believe nothing, so they do nothing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-09/nations-eye-modern-arms-for-ukraine-as-soviet-era-stocks-dwindle

Lad, I agree with all that. Putin has to be sent packing. And sooner the better. I've no solution as to how to do it without an absolute shitshow all round. A bullet from someone will just show he was right in his thoughts, the government will gain power and some other nutjob from the military will take over and carry on. That's the problem - someone else will carry it on. Why wouldn't they? They can see the wealth from being at the top brings by being like Putin and it would turn the best of heads. His own crowd moving him aside would let them pull back and say it's a new regime while the sit and rebuild once again for another go in the future.

Now we all agree Putin should go. We all agree Ukraine should fight back. We all agree we should cut off the oil and gas.

No one has said what that would mean to the half billion odd people making up the continent, and the knock on effects outside of Europe as a result. I'd just like to know or have some insight. Closing those pipes is easily done, but what are the consequences?

In philosophy, I'm not sure I should describe it as a saying, but they have a thing "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." That's why I said earlier on, that in life there are things we some times just have to go through, there being no better course or short cuts. It's my belief this is one of those things. Where by paying the price now represents more value than the cost in the future. My opinions change when I see better things, thus far I do not.

Of course there will be economic hardship. Those who will be able to adapt will survive, those who cannot will be forced to change.

There's another instrument that could be used regarding russian gas. It was used against Iran as regards their nuclear weapons programme. In short, keep accepting russian gas, but pay for it into escrow accounts rather than to russia. Once whatever conditions have been met the payments can be released to russia. People worry about russia's nukes, and russia turning off the gas. This isn't the road to winning, it's being reactionary.

We don't know what type government might emerge if putrid were to go. That's getting ahead of ourselves, he has to be got rid of first. Don't forget the spectacle he put on TV of humiliating one of his own intelligence* chiefs. Things that appear hard can also be brittle.

"Secondhand army", quite appropriate. They say quantity has a quality all of it's own, but this is surely stretching it.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1512565013034283018?s=20&t=L6FXJXV3vIqXArsYyUDLow

Again, you mention paying the price now, but what is it? What is the price the world will pay if the taps are turned off.

The humiliating thig was a result of yer man at the pulpit knowing that there was serious corruption in the military, and the reports fed to Putin to date were complete bollox. Putin didn't know this and yer man was **** his pants cos he knew what was coming, and most likely knew it wouldn't go to plan but of course he couldn't tell Putin that. That was my understanding anyway and it was more brought on himself than Putin planning it or humiliating on purpose. More he was getting thick as to why yer man wasn't telling him what the reports had already told him. Where is that intelligence chap now?

You will need to do your own research on specifics. I know the cost will be larger at a later date. Grozny escalated to Georgia escalated to Crimea & Donbas escalated to the current war in Ukraine. Farage escalated to Trump, possibly to Le Pen.

Constantly kicking this particular can down the road ensures worse happens to us all in the future. Unfortunately in Ireland, there are too many frozen conflict fans who would like a ceasefire opposed to a victory in the false thinking that "business as usual" can return, it won't.

I'm aware of the specific re the pulpit guy, the point was that putrid had no hesitation in how he acted towards him. These are the guys that push people out of windows for putrid. It's a dangerous game to play with them. AFAIK at least two high ranking people in russian intelligence are under house arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Russian forces have absolutely zero control of their soldiers.

And this is from a .ru Russian website.

Russian soldier rapes a baby and films himself and posts it online.

There's no footage or pictures in the article above. Just the disgust seemingly of those who know him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Your posts are incredibly inconsistent.

You've essentially spent a month saying the Russian army is a hapless gathering of ill quipped dad's army rejects who are being obliterated across eastern Ukraine, but now you think they are going to successfully take on NATO next.

Which is it?

Putin living into his 90's??? Fairly certain I read here he's on deaths door.

Your accusing others of doing **** all, "I'm all for X as long as I'm not affected" while claiming "this war will be won on the battle field". A battle field you will be thousands of miles from.

What economic hardships will you endure?

The likelihood is that most posting here on the farming and forestry forum, own a valuable asset and will be insulated from the effects of hyper inflation far greater than the general population with no land assets, and thus talking about willing to endure great economic heartache for the greater good is a bit misleading.

Jameson.. every time you're posting your defence of yourself when I post an atrocity.

And truth be told I'm only doing so in response to posts pitying Russian soldiers or Russian people.

That came up on another social media platform. There was no googling involved. You'd be scrolling farming stuff and then the above comes as a post.

MODS: Can we close this thread. It's not bringing out the best in any of us. There's other threads on the war elsewhere on boards. And we can go to those sections if we want. The farming side here is probably needed for an escape now more than ever from the stupidity and barbarity of this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You can just ignore the thread.

Sounds incredibly juvenile looking to close it down for everyone else

Can just put it to a vote like we used to on here.

Set up a new thread and vote.

That wouldn't be juvenile.

Oh Jesus. Yes it is a credible news site.

It even mentions where he posted the footage.

I'll ask anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

There's no vote bar charts or pie charts that i can see with this new site.

So as everyone was.

Only other thing if anyone does want it off the forum is contact a mod directly.

So as ye were.

The thing I'll say to you Jameson is the Russians are masters of online propaganda. If you are wanting to stay on the fence be careful not to fall on their side. Lord knows they've billions at their disposal to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No they will not successful lif take on NATO. But the price of stopping Putin gets more expensive every time we appease him. Hitler was similar. The more he got away with the more he taught he would get away with.

If Putin takes Donbass and onto Odessa then his next move el be Moldova.. Then he can access Hungry Serbid and Albania all with rulers that are pro Russian. When he can fund a leader in a country that will support him he then will support that leader with Military and technical support to allow them to hold onto power through any means possible.

Kicking the can down the road means that the problem gets worse and gets harder to solve.

Then he targets one of the Baltic states. It's interesting that Finland is throwing in the towel of Neutrality and seriously considering joining NATO.

Are the Germans saints no. But it's probably has the most to lose after Ukraine. After Fukushima they made a serious error of judgement in moving from nuclear to gas dependent on Russia.

But Obama was no better. History will be cruel to him. Another Chamberlain. Merkel has probably tarnished her reputation as well.

The main problem is pressure on lifestyles. We are back in the early 70's and the move from cheap energy....with the fact that money and productivity will not sort the problem.

In reality we need to consume less. Posting on the 2022 thread there was a discussion on showers and sh!tholes ( ensuite's). There are people who expect an ensuite with every bedroom, I have seen house and by young couple with 5 bedrooms, (you really need a bedroom for guests that come on e every 2-3 weeks...sorry months. You cannot possibly put them in a child room and make the children double up.

Ours is the last generation of cheap energy. It's not being green. The way we are consuming resources they will be limited in 20-50 years anyway.

But I digress. Bach to Putin. He just another dictator..... A first world Mugabe.

Slava Ukrainii

An ex member of russian parliament gives his view.

• Advertisement

Advertisement