Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

All minor teams are made up of lads from two years. Dublin has a million people yet will still have 16 year olds on their team. I wouldn't be leaving off the outstanding 16 year old simply because we have an older lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I am correct in saying that only tickets for the first two games against Westmeath (April 16th) and Laois (April 23rd) have been put on sale so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

How many 16 yr olds on the cork team. This is the bar now

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

You seem to be getting a bit excited there judging by the snarky tone of your post, but leaving that aside, I'd say you would struggle to find any county minor team that doesn't have at least a couple of lads playing a year up. So Kilkenny are not a major outlier from anywhere else in that regard. Kilkenny's relatively poor return underage over the last 10 years is a different argument but not necessarily related to a couple of lads playing a year up.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Ah I think that's a bit OTT.

We have contested 3 of the last 4 Al minors. Also beaten by a just a point in 2017 AI semi, and robbed of an AI in 2015 by ref.

I am not surprised the Minor team is a bit young, Kieran’s seem to have an outstanding team at u16 level. CBS are good at u16 too, and Eoin Lyng of Rower despite being Under 16 played in Senior Colleges AI semi-final for Good Counsel, and was apparently outstanding in recent u16 match with Kieran’s.

I feel constantly saying "we just don’t have the talent" is a cop out and is helping to whitewash what looks to me to be the real issue, we have poor structures in place and we have poor management teams.

Look at some of the players now thriving as senior IC players in Waterford, many of them were at best average at underage, 3 or 4 curernt Waterford seniors couldn’t get on to Fitzgibbon teams a few years ago.

Those lads wouldn’t have been a patch on the Mullens or Donnelly or Richie Leahy or Evan Shefflin or Ciaran Brennan as 18-20 year olds but are all now flying while not one of our group is a nailed on starter and some arent even near the panel.

What Waterford and Limerick and Cork are doing in developing hurlers in the 18-21 year bracket is the big difference.

Ourselves and Tipp seem to be stuck in the old "if they are good enough they will come through, no need to be molly coddling them"

• Advertisement

Not one bit narky as you say. Everyone on here saying our coaching leaves a lot to be desired and I'm in that boat too. I'm saying and have being saying for years that the not all the best lads are in at the squads. You arrive at 14 and you are still there at 21. No one has improved to knock you off. Playing 15 year olds in an under 17 tournament is madness. We need to address the problem. Again if you look at the under 20s we are talking about the same players that made up the minor teams a few years ago. Has nobody else improved or even out grown them to get a chance.

@ alonso

We have loads of talent in the county badly managed and coached. I have being to enough sessions to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

You counteract your own argument there saying lads brought in at u14 are still there at u21 but yet a few 17 year olds brought in at 14 years of age are not starting for the minor team and younger lads are starting instead of them.

To be honest you come across like parent of a 17 years old who hasnt been picked.

Saying that I agree we are well behind the new standard required for bringing through youths players with proper tactical coaching and s&c. But id be of the opinion that if a player 15,16, or 17 is good enough then they should be playing.

Would you have turned around to an Eoin Kelly or a Joe Canning and said you can't be a 3 year minor as we want to play older lads to play?

Ah no 17 yr old in my house, what I'm trying to get across after watching quite a lot of games and squad sessions I don't see the value of what they are at. We have watched this year after year with little to no success at AI level. And we are still at it. Our team were blown away twice last year. And the team that blew us away were slaughtered in the final. So let's not change anything. Plod along joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

Cant say I heard to much about this KK team, We have an u16 on the bench. Plenty of talk about Murphy and Mcevoy in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

For all of the talk about this years minor village team they only have the goalie on the starting 15. Very surprised to see this. Not sure about how many on the subs?

Eoghan Lyng of the village a fine hurler and was good for Good counsel this year.

Marty Murphy from Tullogher also a fine hurler and a great hand. McEvoy full forward has been excellent for Graigue Ballycallan the last few years. They have 3 on the starting 15.

Will be interesting to see how they go as i know a lot of people are talking about this and next years minor teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

That's a great looking panel on paper atleast.

If everyone was fully fit and on form would go along lines of:

E Murphy (though I definitely think Brennan deserves a few games and see what way puckouts in particular go)

M Butler

Lawlor

T Walsh

M Carey

R Reid (uses Ball way better than Deegan)

D Blanchfield

J Maher

C Kenny

A Mullen (Will have to Prove it if not J Donnelly or Wally I imagine)

P Walsh

E Cody( think I'd be reguarly rotating him with Mossy/ TJ)

B Ryan

M Keoghan

TJ

Subs: D Brennan, D Mullen, C Delaney, Deegan (will be in 1st 15 either way I think), C Browne, C Fogarty, C Buckley, R Leahy, Wally, J Donnelly, A Murphy.

Despite what some people on here say/think i think we have a very strong squad overall, Wouldn't rule out B Cody being on 26 or having a look at him in one of 1st 2 games either. Wonder will We see R Hogan feature in any of the 1st 2 games either if not then I persoanlly think that could be it for him but we seen last year in ET against Cork what he can do without regular game time but time is running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

100 per cent correct. And now a big chunk of that poor minor team are all now part of this years under 20 panel despite still being underage in 2023 and 2024. The same players were also quite poor with St. Kierans College this year and haven't even played adult hurling yet. Did the under 20 management even go to club games last year to see if their was any 18 or 19 year old who may not have been part of development squads all the way up, who are now good enough. Just like their manager I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Was listening to a very informative interview on Kilkenny Community Radio with the Kilkenny Minor manager Niall Bergin. His fellow selectors are Willie O'Dwyer, Paddy Hogan, Davy Buggy and Jimmy Coogan. They brought 150 young players in for trials and narrowed it down to 42. Those 42 were given gym programmes which involved 3 gym sessions per week for a number of months. The management team attended post primary school matches and while some players were involved with school teams, the remaining panel players had training and friendly matches against various counties.

It would appear to me that a huge effort has gone into the process. I sincerely hope it goes well for management and players beginning tomorrow. They deserve it.

Post edited by Grats on

Im surprised your U16 sub isnt in the starting 15, hopefully a sign that what is starting is a good set.

Any word ona live stream of this match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Only following on Twitter Community Radio Kilkenny City seems to be all full up such is the demand to listen online. A good first half after going 2 goals down early on. 2-7 a piece is good for us playing away from home.

Well done to minors on a great win after a terrible start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Just heard bits and pieces but wexford played dublin last week and that game stood to them In the early stages when they went 2-3 to a point up so well done to all involved. Great to get off the mark away and they have dublin at home next.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Looks like we’ve the makings of a decent minor team! Good comeback after a bad start against a team that had a good win last weekend in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Well done. Lyng from the rower was excellent. Decent team there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Great performance after a bad start, some talented boyos Our lads had a lot of wides in the second half and more than double Wexford’s tally. The ref kept Wexford in it as they were poor in the second half,but maybe that was due to our dominance well done on a great performance well worth the trip.Next Saturday we are supposed to play Dublin in the minor at 2 o’clock this does not leave much time to get to Mullingar.Could it not be put back an hour or two.

The minor match is now fixed for 12 and the senior match for 6. That match will hopefully stand to them today.

Its hard to believe the championship is starting next week.its going to come thick and fast and injuries and suspensions could stretch some teams. Realistically we should be winning the first two matches and the first big test will be galway away in a few weeks. We will probably see nearly the same team as the cork match playing next weekend and there's probably a little room for experimenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I don't think any of the Kilkenny U20 team that lost to Westmeath a few years ago will be starting next week?

Huw,Deegan,delaney,browne,Billy ryan and Alan Murphy all started that night and tom phelan came on Darren brennan was the goalie and John Walsh also played.

Correct - Kilkenny: D Brennan; E Cody, C Delaney, H Lalor; P Lyng, J Cleere, P Deegan; C Browne, E Kenny; L Blanchfield, S Morrissey, N Mullins; B Ryan, A Murphy, J Walsh.

Subs: A Gaffney for Kenny (h/t); K Blanchfield for Murphy (49); T Phelan for Mullins (59).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Hard to believe that team got beaten. Very strong team.....on paper at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

From what I remember of that match, Westmeath had extremely good fielders of the ball in the half forward line. They also dropped to the half back line on Kilkenny puckouts and won a lot of these. Deserved win by Westmeath. Andy Gaffney missed a late penalty to rescue the game

I was annoyed with management after they agreed to forego home advantage at the time. I felt it smacked of cockiness - giving the players a sense of over confidence and denying them, and the supporters, home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

That was our last All Ireland minor winning team as well. Definitely a huge shock a the time but from what I remember Westmeath were good value for it. We started poorly and were unable to turn it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Only one Leinster hurling fixture announced as part of RTE's live coverage of this year's championship and thats Kilkenny V Galway. I'll be at the games myself so no difference to me personally but surely this an unfair imbalance. I assume as per usual TG4 will be filling that void and in fairness they provide much superior coverage anyway so that is probably a good thing.

Advertisement