Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

nice to see him with the babba on the par three he seems happy so you never know, he's still only 32 in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Nobody slagging him off today - strange

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

1+ was a good round for Rory yesterday considering how he normally goes on day 1 of a major. If he can build on that today and post a couple under par he'll be in a good position going into the weekend. Of course its quiet on here today as Rory played reasonably well yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rors heading for another 5-10th place position, you got to keep in the hunt and DJ at 3 under is the one catching the eye (once I force away from Tiger one under). Rory is 4 behind.

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Needs a lowish one today hopefully in the 60's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭AyeGer

He was at -1 then threw away a couple of shots. He will need to keep the mistakes to a minimum if he is to win. Hopefully he can. He is the player out there I’d most like to win. I don’t see it happening through.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ballingarry

Would love to see Rory win but I feel there are too many good players ahead of him. His final 6 holes have taking him too far back in my opinion. He used plenty of sense in his second shots on 13 and 15 but have to say his putting under big pressure leaves him down at times. 14 was a big error with the 3 putt and the misses on 15 and 16 have just left him a little too much to do with so many good players ahead. On the plus side his driving was really good. Hopefully he can have a below 70 round today and keep in contention for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

There's another mistake that the commentators couldn't get their heads around. Both his playing partners go long, past the hole into the wind but still on the green, whereas Rory leaves it miles short and then barely gets his pitch to the green. He's extremely lucky he's not hitting that chip from way below the green again and will likely be dropping a shot here, after hitting a perfect tee shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Mod Comment

Ease up please, no flaming posts, thanks

Post edited by AyeGer on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Nice putt to save himself there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Poor wedge shot on 9, although maybe the wind affected it.

Way too much talk about his preparation every year I feel.

One year he wants to treat it like it's important, then the next year he wants to treat it like just another tournament, then he doesn't play the week before, then he plays the week before, then he says he wants to get back to basics, and so on.

I think it adds undue pressure and attracts more scrutiny if/when it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good scrambling to get a respectable score again, only 5 off for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

yes he stuck in there today in the wind aswell

Battled well today, still in with a squeak but needs a round in the 60's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Rory to get hammered for another back door top 5?!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Denny61

Rory mcilroy the most over hyped over paid and one trick pony of a golfer we have ever seen......

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Good call id say. If it was literally anyone else, especially Tiger, did it everyone would praise how he never gives up etc.

Case in point Tigers 10 2 years ago which he followed with a few birdies and everyone rightly praised his spirit, Rory would get hammered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Another hopeless performance from McIlroy complete with all the usual excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

TBF, a good performance on the last day when the pressure is off was called earlier in the week. Mcilroy does at least show consistency in that respect, but as Guru said, it’s not his head, his swing, his caddy, so it’s just bad luck and/or the course’s fault that he didn’t play better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He's in 9th place, some people need to tone down the hysterics a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

yeah I’m sure he’s happy with that. 8th best loser….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm not going signing up to the idea that there is a winner and everyone else had a "hopeless performance".

Absolutely, unfortunately too many Irish people are deluded and think he's the best in the world and should be winning every week and not winning is total failure, mostly comes from lads who haven't a clue about golf and wouldn't hit a 7 iron 20 yards.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

No I’d say he’s very unhappy. I wouldn’t say his performance was hopeless though. Only two players beat him yesterday, and only one of them has a chance of winning the tournament. McIlroy once again showing he’s one of the best in the world, but not doing doing it when it really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yup so bad he's in the top 10 of a major...I mean imagine he was REALLY CRAP..

If anyone watched his game round 1 he was smashing the driver and hitting fairways for fun. He just made some bad decisions on wedges and where to land them. I really think he needs someone experienced on his bag.

He's playing well. It's just missing....that little something to get him over the line.

People need to cop on thinking that golf is about a single player ripping it up every week. It's not. Simple stats show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Its not bad decisions on wedges, its just very poor wedge play. That's his problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The caddie again!! Name one caddie out there who would improve his wedge game???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There is definitely a lot of unnecessary criticism and expectations around Rory. I know it's down to the fact partly that he is Irish, but winning in golf is extremely hard.

Tigers numbers are outrageous and he has a win rate of 1 in 5.

Nicklaus win rate is about 1 in 8.

The two greatest golfers of all time lose way more than they win and yet we expect Rory to win every time he tees it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Again we are back to linking ability to validity of opinion. Which posters do you think can’t hit a 7 iron 20 yards?

I doubt anyone here thinks he should be winning every week, or indeed that he is the best in the world, but I think most would agree he is one of the best in the world. Yet, we watch the same mistakes and inconsistencies time after time. His shortcomings in majors are not the ones you expect from one of the worlds top players, the errant shots from close range, the fragility of his putting. We all get that he is a streaky player and that on paper the number of top 10s in majors is impressive, but winning majors is the currency for top players, it is what they strive for and what they are remembered for. Yet again Mcilroy finds himself with the also rans of Sunday, maybe he will have one of those rounds that pushes him up the leaderboard, but the reality is that unless some catastrophic happens, he is out of contention again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Another back door top 10 coming up for Rors and the usual how many times he gets in top 10 but the reality is that he either blows up with a lead or has a great last round when he has no hope of winning and pressure is off..

Advertisement