Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I think the Baltic states are now rolling up their sleeves and may even intervene on the ground. They know that Putin has shot his bolt more or less, and will never be in a position to retaliate conventionally against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭rolling boh

hopefully Putin needs to suffer some serious defeats to maybe get some people thinking about change not holding my breath though .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Come on now, you must approach pronouncements like this from both sides in time of war with a large pinch of salt.

The only sort of definites are what transpires in real time: we know that initial Russian thrust to Kyiv has failed, we see the evidence of much destroyed Russian equipment, we see the ruination of many Ukrainian towns and some cities, we know the Russians have a strong foothold in the east, we know the Ukrainian defence forces are well established there and will be reinforced. We don't know how this battle on a long front will work out, the Russian forces will presumably fix their supply problems and throw a lot in to try and overwhelm, the Ukrainian forces supplied by the West will resist fiercely and try and drive forward. Who will prevail? Who knows but if morale of the troops is a factor, Ukraine has a significant edge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Much of that because Germany was a pretty well educated, advanced and cosmopolitan society. The nazis arose out of the Weinmar era which was one of the most "liberal" societies in Europe at the time. When the nazis came to power and in their run for power they had to keep that in mind. Their propaganda had to be more measured and insidious. They could only rant so much. Hitler looks like he's ranting at his rallies, but read the subtitles when present. He's whipping up the crowd to beat the band, but rarely enough goes the the route of alley way gouger shouting scum and the like when he's doing it. Though that nazi insidiousness can be worse as it can pollute otherwise normal minds to horrors, as it did. When they marched into Austria, the Austrians glee at active and murderous Antisemitism initially shocked them, as they were still playing to international optics at that stage. Even after that nation was responsible for some of the vilest acts in human history, when Hitler and his curs were dead look how quickly they reverted to the mean of their society. The Allies rightfully feared an ongoing guerrilla campaign after nazi Germany's fall but it never happened. Sure there were a few old nazi true believers left, but they got pretty short shrift in any elections and most had to bugger off to South America.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We shouldn't, we should keep giving Ukraine as much as they ask for and it is sh*tty, but that is the starting and endpoint when MAD exists, whoever says otherwise is a feeble keyboard warrior with no convictions of their own.

The real question is how far countries can keep on pushing back as russia defangs itself in a very stupid way, the west has gained control through all this, russia is making itself a complete joke, china will use russian weakness to push its own agenda.

The people of russia are signed up for a sub-par life that will get worse the longer this goes on.

Hopefully the west supplies Ukraine all that it wants to rebuild and become a flourishing democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah stop, so many of you keep soapboxing in this thread it’s just not funny. I listened to the piece and found it interesting and worrying because you have a dictator in trouble and you have somebody close to him saying he won’t accept defeat.

Only Time will tell how this plays out, you don’t know what Russia are capable of anymore then I do, I wish people would stop talking through their hat in absolutes about a conflict nobody can predict.

All it takes is one single nuclear missile and the retaliation strike will be sent

I mean US even dropped launching a test missile of their newest ICBMs in case of Russia misunderstood the whole purpose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,978 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What would have happened if some rogue sniper took out Boris and Zenlensky today? Would the UK have then entered this war ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And you think that someone 'close to Putin' is credible? One thing we have observed is that the Russian playbook is based on lies and false promises. So only time will tell, you wouldn't trust them an inch.

We must suspect that the Russian military will be very wary of using WMD, because the implications of drawing in other conventional forces is very real and they are in no great condition to continue if that happens. An all out offensive using conventional weapons to take the full Donbas region seems the most likely course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You really don't do nuance and understanding the complexity of wider positions, do you? Of course he couldn't come out and start hoisting the blue and yellow and calling putin a butcher. He's not some random twat on twitter who two months ago was waxing inexpertly and emotionally lyrical on covid, only to find Ukraine on a map for the first time in his life when his attention was swung by the same inexpert emotionals looking for a meme that will get him more likes.

In his position of being very close to the throne - and one that will have been very closely watched - even the simple plain fact he called it a war speaks volumes. Like I said read between the bloody lines, because if there's any hope of putin being taken down by those within his circle it'll come from between those very same lines. It won't come from the vodka fuelled numpties grown fat on his bribed largesse in his "information bureau", or his 70 point IQ foot soldiers in his meat grinder, it will come from men like him.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

The fact the putin didn't call it a war and told soldiers they were going on exercise should be enough to know he won't use nuclear weapons against a western intervention.

Nevertheless, if the west did not want to overtly intervene it could have played the little green men game that Russia played.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In situations like this the biggest risk is a mistake or miscalculation on one side or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One thing that fascinates me about all this is how the regime, the state propaganda machine and the legions of Putin groupies would be able to handle a defeat for Russia at the hands of the Ukrainian military. The whole affair and justification for the invasion and war is that is predicated on a Russian victory. A defeat for the regime would surely send all the above into nervous breakdown / straightjacket territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So you wouldn’t trust the Russians one bit but when it comes to WOMDs you trust that’s where they will draw the line? And you know this even though you dismiss everything that any Russian says, but on the flip side you know what Russians are capable of doing, you know how they think ?

I literally said only time will tell, I just wish some of you would stop waffling about how this will play out. If the Russians are pushing to claim a victory over the coming weeks, the absolute best case scenario is that Putin , doesn’t revert to more extreme aggression and instead just cobbles together some nonsense victory that only Russians believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I appreciate that he's probably the best of a bad lot (I'm obviously not talking about the general Russian population here).

My assessment of the situation operates on a different level to yours, I already know that we would disagree over whether the description "detached" was a positive or negative attribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,978 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If this was 1940, the Kremlin would have been flattened on day 2., and Russians would have pulled out on day 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

Unless the Ukrainian military can push Russian forces back to Moscow, which is, ahem, doubtful, I'd say the Russian propaganda machine would be able to spin some kind of win to its domestic audience. It's already been able to flatly deny war crimes and even the fact that Russia is waging war on its neighbour. The layperson of Russia seems pretty well under the thumb as far as the flow of info goes. This is not to say that there aren't Russians who know what's really going on, but I don't think there are enough of them who are also willing to speak out.

As far as nervous breakdowns go, my fear is that what Russia is preparing to do in Eastern Ukraine IS that nervous breakdown. Just slaughter every Ukrainian they can. Man, woman and child, in uniform or out. Sort of like what they had already been doing, but with much more ferocity, purposefulness and ruthlessness. No regard for human rights, the Geneva conventions or basic decency. Only blood lust. Cluster bombs, gas, shelling, roving squadrons of thuggish mercenaries. Every city in the region made a Mariupol if needs be.

Exactly, like I said Putin can stop this any time with basically no loss domestically. They're not interested in that though.

Yes, but I still think Russia being forced out of large parts of the Donbass and Crimea ; Mariupol and Kherson being retaken etc would hugely problematic for the regime. Anything that results in Russia having even less territory in Ukraine than it had on February 24th would be nearly impossible for the propagandists to cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the propaganda machine couldn't cover it up, it could always claim that literal Nazis (given weapons by the West, otherwise Russia would have "totally beaten them by now") are trying to invade 'Russia' (i.e. territories spuriously claimed by Russia), and the N word (not that one) seems a potent catnip to Russians, causing a type of unreason to descend. Could be a good excuse for Putin to go with full mobilisation and ramp up the nationalistic fervour. I think Putin would try to start WW3 before he allows himself to be hounded out of office, so the nearer he feels he's getting to the former, the more reckless he'll get about the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I think they're evolving to accept misery and by default inflict it. It's another cul de sac humanity needs to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Wibbs, I'm no expert on tanks , and was basing my comment on the following :-

Dec 3, 2018 Steve MacGregor, Guest Author. German Field Marshall von Kleist described the Russian T-34 as ‘the best tank of World War Two .’. Panzer leader General Heinz Guderian claimed that the T-34 enjoyed ‘ vast superiority’ over contemporary German tanks in the early part of the war.

So at one time at any rate, it seems that they were more than a match for the Germans. Maybe they were easier to fix and repair than their German counterparts. But anyway, old an dated as they now are, I still would not like to be at the receiving end of one of their shells, even today.

I've been in a few APC's, and they were claustrophobic enough. I've seen plenty of tanks though, up close and personal, and when I met them any time travelling on the roads, I always yielded right -of- way, no question. I'm very road safety conscious and courteous driver, especially when the tanks were coming in the opposite direction... LOL., Yes I've seen some of The Chieftains videos, they are very good, and informative. He is an expert on the subject.

And as for the Farmers, their expertise on towing Tanks, APC's and other HGV type military hardware is improving with practice and they are now quite professional. That kind of towing is not as easy as they are making it look....😊😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] - Point out where I denied saying those that think NATO should attack Russian troops should sign up. I didnt. Find it and I'll leave this thread for good. There's your incentive.

What ARE you rambling on about???

What I said was...

@goldenmick - I remember your posts from a while back in this thread. Must have been a dozen or more where you couldn't argue against a valid point being made, so you reverted to type and kept telling people to go and join the Ukrainian army if they were that concerned. And you're still at it now.

To which you replied...

@[Deleted User] - Don't hide behind ambiguity. A cheap shot that could have been taken from Putin's playbook.

Link if you want to be taken seriously... if that's something you are accustomed to.

And then I replied...

@goldenmick - You DID tell numerous people previously to go to the Ukraine and fight if they felt that strongly about it. And now you're denying it.

So, asking me to link implies that you are denying having said those things. But now you are saying you don't deny it. Do you actually know what you're saying at all?

Why ask me to link to your posts for my proof then? Crazy.

Anyway, your posts are just a catalogue of condescending, sarcastic jibes aimed at anyone who supports military intervention. I'm sure there are plenty on here who would second that.

Seen that, reminds me of Tucker Carlson on a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just watched the video of Boris on Kyiv. Fair play to him, I don't like him and I think he has been one of the worst British PM's in my lifetime but he's handled the RuSSian attack on Ukraine brilliantly. And now we have confirmation of anti ship missiles which is great news.

Putin must be spitting fire watching these pictures. Not only did his child raping army fail spectacularly to secure Kyiv, he now has had a procession of European leaders visit and give him a massive two fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The first atomic bomb explosion was on July 16th 1945 in New Mexico.

Me pointing this out to you is almost (but but not quite) silly as your post

There's talk by the way that the Pope might visit Kyiv soon - that would be a real coup for the Zelensky government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Oh I'd say they believe what their Ukrainian friends / Family are telling them.....but speaking openly about what's happening on the Ukraine side, and speaking openly on the Russian side, are two completely different things...especially when speaking in negative terms about what Russia is doing in Ukraine. Possible sentence of 15 years in a Russian prison. No thank's, Comrade, All Hail Vladimir Putin.

• Advertisement

I think he bought into his own strong man propaganda and the fear of losing that image at home and abroad is a factor, despite him only being seen as such abroad by idiots or **** like Le Pen, Trump etc.

Some have said he is afraid of ending up like Gadaffi, I could be wrong but I don't see that happening.

If a regime change does happen from within because of Ukraine and the fallout from it, he is going to be killed, and it will most likely be claimed as natural causes, as despite everything who ever takes over in such a situation isn't going to leave him alive and have him as a enemy and at the same they aren't going to hand him over to a forigen country or international body for trial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement