Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That's a really strange crash.

It must have hurt like hell also 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

watching the eurosport highlights of the Basque tour last night....Nico is very calm in his analysis and in describing what tactics he thinks will play out

Dan (and Carlton [and the other guy RH!!] when he does commentary) et al are all frenzied and excited ...nice contrast

btw are the commentators over there (post covid!!) or doing this remotely in studio/home ??

Post edited by devonp on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can’t speak about the COVID thing as didn’t see any of that (I don’t follow them on Twitter) but they have in the past posted a fair few mocking tweets about womens races and have since deleted them.

The van is a bit of red herring though as the live info they post is from TV and other sources. I’d be fairly certain the van is for advertising purposes only.

Fwiw I find them the best for live coverage if I can’t watch a race. I pick and choose between a few sites. I like the results on first cycling, the start lists from cycling fever and I’ll dip in and out of cycling news too. I’ll watch the Lantern Rouge race breakdowns on YouTube too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nico was doing spins in London yesterday according to Strava, was in South of france last weekend. Think they all work remotely, unless in the Eurosport studio pre/post-race

I think I am correct in saying that since Covid they (Eurosport/GCN presenters & commentators) have not been to any races... except for Wiggins on the motorbike. And Bernie Eisel as well I think. I'm hoping they will be back in France for the Tour this summer. For me, it adds to the experience to see Orla, Brian Smith etc. presenting from a different location each day. I think the commentary team work better as well when they are 'on-site'. Rob Hatch has been commentating from his home in Majorca (I think) for the last two years and I think it has led to him getting far too carried away on many occasions because he's sitting there on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Love Nico to respond to Horner and hear his side of that but he's too classy to get involved. For Horner to bring that up after all that time means he's bitter about it whatever really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Horner's thing of saying the full race name or rider name every single time is really annoying. As is his childish attention seeking when he insults riders.

Jesus, Hamilton could have done much worse there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

To quote another Hamilton, "Danger Here"

Was it Kenny Elissonde that was cranked over like a Moto-GP rider in that clip?

Just looking at Alaphilippe there now among rest of the GC men, has he slimmed down? I know he was never a big fella but noticeably smaller to my eyes vs previous seasons?

Soler getting mugged now.

Also Mas is some dose, waving at lads to pull in the attack but no sign of him going to the front himself to drive it, wheel hugging on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

enjoyable stuff for a friday afternoon

Eh that finish was just absolute nuts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Poor coverage at the finish there. Hard to see who finished where or what happened between vlasov and Ving

Rog's interview there haha

Here's the crash before the finish

Something not mentioned or seen in race coverage was Milan Vader crashed badly on a descent and needed stents to maintain blood flow to his brain. He has broken ribs and vertebrae but is stable in hospital according to reports tonight.

That sounds horrific. Fingers crossed he gets through the night okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,179 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Insane finish to the Tour of the Basque country.

Virtual yellow went to Martinez and now Bilbao. Anything could happen yet. Evenepoel and Martinez working together to try pull back the leaders.

Top 10 overall finish for Uran? Don't think I heard his name all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Great race today ..glad Ion got the stage win after being knocked off the bike by Vingregaard

Martinez is good and should be Ineos lead at the tour imo...needs to practice his descending though

Strange to see Roglic not dominate a week long stage race ...he has for so long now

Matt and Nico broadcasting from studio in Chiswick , London

Chris Horner thinks no one knows tactics but himself

Think he is disgruntled that he is not in the GCN studio

what Nico could say back to him (though he wont) is why were you not invited back to the Vuelta in 2014...answer us that Chris ???

MvdP favourite for tomorrow? I'd love to see Van Baarle or Benoot do it I think based on recent form. One from the heart John Degenklob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

hard to see past Van der Poel but Barguil is a good outside bet as is Mohoric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Sam and Ryan both listed to start the Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey today.

GCN coverage starts at 10.15, so it should fit in nicely before Amstel coverage kicks off :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would be nice if he could find his form here like in the past. A few wins would be a great boost.

Bouhani and Ewan also there though.

Trying to remember if they usually don't cover the whole Amstel race? No coverage until after 1pm.

• Advertisement

Just over 10 km to go in Turkey

Advertisement